• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Title is (somewhat) in jest, but given the asking prices of 3070s on the second hand market, it's not far off.

You'll probably pay $900-1000 on eBay for a similar card due to lack of supply.

It's a crazy comment on the market status when it's cheaper to buy a computer (you could easily sell off your current rig, or the rest of the computer to lower the cost of the card) than to just buy a single component.

deals.dell.com

Top Deals

Don't miss Dell's Top deals! Big discounts on laptops, desktops, monitors, & accessories. Visit Dell.com for the latest offers.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
$1200 is actually a great price for a 3700X / 3070 system.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know anything about the case, but the rest of the components + RTX3070 don't seem like that terrible of a deal for the price, especially given the current circumstances.

Oct 25, 2017
Title is (somewhat) in jest, but given the asking prices of 3070s on the second hand market, it's not far off.

You'll probably pay $900-1000 on eBay for a similar card due to lack of supply.

It's a crazy comment on the market status when it's cheaper to buy a computer (you could easily sell off your current rig, or the rest of the computer to lower the cost of the card) than to just buy a single component.

deals.dell.com

Top Deals

Don't miss Dell's Top deals! Big discounts on laptops, desktops, monitors, & accessories. Visit Dell.com for the latest offers.

That thing is going to sell out immediately when to goes up tomorrow but I might try. Absolutely needs the 1TB upgrade, and it seems like a giant miss not to allow an upgrade to the M2 size. Power supply sucks and it is hard to upgrade an alienware on your own, so the deal is good but definitely has problems.

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
That thing is going to sell out immediately when to goes up tomorrow but I might try. Absolutely needs the 1TB upgrade, and it seems like a giant miss not to allow an upgrade to the M2 size. Power supply sucks and it is hard to upgrade an alienware on your own, so the deal is good but definitely has problems.

That probably depends on the case. I've got a different Alienware (bought a year ago with a 2080 Super) and opening the thing up is a breeze. Power supply is no slouch, and components have easy access.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is actually tempting given the current PC market. Could always throw it in a different case.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if they've done so here but in the past I believe Alienware has sometimes manufactured custom boards for GPUs rather than using off the shelf parts, so as to fit the form factors they offer?

Oct 30, 2017
That's a pretty dang good price for the specs!

So much so if I had the money I'll just probably forgo doing a custom build for this as it will be really hard to match that build price.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if they've done so here but in the past I believe Alienware has sometimes manufactured custom boards for GPUs rather than using off the shelf parts, so as to fit the form factors they offer?
That hasn't been a thing for a while now, but they get OEM cards.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing this price, are there any good online PC building companies that ship from Europe?

Because my local retailers are charging 2200€ for a mostly equivalent build...

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah buying a pre built PC is probably your safest bet when it comes to getting a 30 series card right now lol

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
I could be mistaken, but I think these Alienware Systems have started using proprietary hardware, which means you might not be able to take the card out and use it in another system, and/or you can't replace the other parts.

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I could be mistaken, but I think these Alienware Systems have started using proprietary hardware, which means you might not be able to take the card out and use it in another system, and/or you can't replace the other parts.

Not unless they started doing it in the last year. I've got last year's model on my desk, an aside from the glowy shit on the case, it's a stock build on the inside. Had bought some previously another ~2 years prior for family, and same deal.

The Alienware towers are generally easy to open up and work with.

If you can get a base system (or a sale system like this) your best bet is to UPGRADE NOTHING and just do aftermarket upgrades since it's easy to swap parts.

The "hardest" thing is upgrading the system drive, and that just consists of remembering to make a Macrium image of the stock drive as-shipped, before first boot. Then swap in the drive you want to use, write the Macrium image, and do first boot setup. They don't even bother with much in the way of preloaded crap anymore.

Can I get this deal in Europe?

You would need to have someone in the US order it for you and then reship the entire thing.

Possibly a deal for *just* the video card if the exchange rate is in your favor, but attempting to reship the whole computer would likely be expensive and you'd get have plenty of customs issues with a brand new computer.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Assuming the overall cooling design is sound, those specs are excellent for that price.

Mr_Nothin

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Damn, they dont tell you the type of 3070 it is. Thinking about grabbing this and just selling the card

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017

The 3080 in mine is shorter than a stock 3080 (or it certainly seems shorter). No idea if they manufactured it themselves or not.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
The 3080 in mine is shorter than a stock 3080 (or it certainly seems shorter). No idea if they manufactured it themselves or not.
I found myself shut out of half of the possible 3080 models in the start of all this because many would have required totally reconfiguring my case to fit (I have a Fractal Meshify C). Thankfully got an EVGA XC3 model that is a vaguely reasonable length.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I found myself shut out of half of the possible 3080 models in the start of all this because many would have required totally reconfiguring my case to fit (I have a Fractal Meshify C). Thankfully got an EVGA XC3 model that is a vaguely reasonable length.

Out of curiosity do you happen to know how long it is?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling the PSU and motherboard aren't great and one has a high chance of seeing problems after 2-3 years, but fuck it, it's still an excellent price for the specs.

Oct 29, 2017
I have a feeling the PSU and motherboard aren't great and one has a high chance of seeing problems after 2-3 years, but fuck it, it's still an excellent price for the specs.
PSUs are usually pretty solid when it comes to big brand prebuilds. Especially due to more recent efficiency regulations. Linus opened an HP for the secret shopper videos they make and the PSU was 80+ Platinum. The downside is that it is likely just the wattage for the system specs without a lot of room to add power hungry parts, plus proprietary connectors.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
is there any reason not to get this

Because I'm thinking of getting this and sending my current 2060 Laptop to my bro

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
pretty much what I did.

If you bought the 3080 at current prices which is like $2000 you can drop an extra $400 and get a whole system including a 5900x with it.

So i just ordered a whole system and from discord chat I'm not the only one lol

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna try and go for this, it'll sell out instantly though. I'm so sick of not being able to get a GPU even after following Discord servers and Twitch stock streams, my patience is wearing thin. Competing with bots/scalpers and miners has been an impossible battle, these people get 10+ GPUs but I can't even find one.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the extra accessories. Today I learned that APC sells "gaming" branded UPS
www.apc.com

APC Back-UPS Pro 1500VA for Gaming, 120V, Pure Sinewave, LCD, 3 USB charging ports, 10 NEMA outlets (4 surge) - BGM1500 | APC USA

BGM1500 - APC Back-UPS Pro 1500VA for Gaming, 120V, Pure Sinewave, LCD, 3 USB charging ports, 10 NEMA outlets (4 surge) | APC USA
That one gives you 4min at max 900W output. They more for ooh shit it's time to quickly save and shutdown then any play session if your power goes out. I run a few for all my expensive electronics.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I'm a broke college student, but damn that is a good deal all things considered, especially if you already have storage from another build. Plus Dell warranties are (or at least were?) really damn good as well, but my knowledge of that is second hand experience almost as old as I am

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm the go to deals and parts guy for friends and I have been telling them all to just buy a new rig if they need virtually any kind of upgrade and they want to get a card. Then sell their old comp. It's cheaper often and far more of a guarantee.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Per the EVGA site, the XC3 Ultra is 285.37mm. The Meshify C maxes out at 310mm unless you do some serious reconfiguration with the fans and the drive cage. A few brands go over 310mm (Gigabyte has several).

That's on the shorter side of what I've seen. Mine seems to be just under 270mm. I'll probably have to jump through hoops when I upgrade in the future but I'll burn that bridge when I get to it. Thanks for the reply!

Oct 29, 2017

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Would the motherboard fit in another case, and would other motherboards fit in this case? May buy this and do some swapping

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted a new video card but a whole new PC made a lot of sense too so I went with a prebuilt and it's been amazing. Got a 3080 and a great new system to go with it, and the sheer cost of the card now (if you can even find it) made the overpriced prebuilt downright rational.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
That's a great deal. I have a 3600/32gigs of ram build but I am stuck on a 960. I'd jump on this but my pc isn't that less in power outside of the video card. I guess I could sell this pc.