• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

I just remembered Kojima saying this and can't stop laughing. Not only is the phrasing kind of overly dramatic (though it's probably just a language thing), the reason for Quiet not wearing clothes is nonsense. The quote is simultaneously so dumb but so funny.

Did literally anyone on earth feel any shame after playing the game 🤔

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone spoiler tag the actual explanation? I have no intention of ever playing this game, but I'm curious how dumb it is.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It's embarrassing. For all his hints of indisputable genius, Videogame Artman can spout some dumb ass shit.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
if kojima just responded with "fuck all you goddamn nerds" like a normal person he could have avoided all of this mess

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
maybe kojima was wrong when he said we would be ashamed of our words and deeds
but does that means that we shouldn't be ashamed of our words and deeds

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
(checks replies)

Yeah, that was stupid.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Not ashamed. It was obvious from the beginning he wanted to sell dolls and the game.

He's a hack.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
People will go to great lengths to;

a) Justify setting female representation in games back about 20 years
b) Justify being thirsty over a fictional character

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he also explicitly say she was designed like that to encourage cosplay and figurine sales?

Also good lord that was from 2013.

edit: yup

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone spoiler tag the actual explanation? I have no intention of ever playing this game, but I'm curious how dumb it is.
None of the other answers go into enough detail.

She's set on fire in her first encounter in the game and nearly dies/pretty much dies. Bad guy recovers her body and implants her with some supernatural parasites that repair her body and give her super powers like strength, invisibility, and photosynthesis. But because of it, she breathes through her skin so wearing clothes makes her choke to death.

All of the other responses don't make it sound as ridiculous as it actually is.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah not his brightest moment.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Could learn a thing or two from Yoko Taro.

Just say you designed her this way cuz you fuckin' wanted to. If people can't handle that, "oh no."

Problem is, Kojima can't settle for niche status like Taro can.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
If Quiet breathes through her skin why is she still wearing a bra and panties? Why would you purposefully restrict your breathing like that?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm making this up, but I feel like when I first heard this quote, I assumed that this was actually meant to be some kind of criticism of people taking a superficial view or her and instantly jumping to viewing her as a sex object. But, uh, I guess that didn't pan out so much.

I also figured that the "deeds" part made more sense with that interpretation.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
None of the other answers go into enough detail.

She's set on fire in her first encounter in the game and nearly dies/pretty much dies. Bad guy recovers her body and implants her with some supernatural parasites that repair her body and give her super powers like strength, invisibility, and photosynthesis. But because of it, she breathes through her skin so wearing clothes makes her choke to death.

All of the other responses don't make it sound as ridiculous as it actually is.

That expanded explanation makes no difference whatsoever.

-Amon-

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
God Bless Kojima for Quiet.

Thanks to her design so many good things came to this world.

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It makes perfect sense. She's definitely the only character in the series with photosynthetic skin, and if there was someone else they would be wearing just as skimpy clothing. Even if they were like a 100-year-old guy or something.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm making this up, but I feel like when I first heard this quote, I assumed that this was actually meant to be some kind of criticism of people taking a superficial view or her and instantly jumping to viewing her as a sex object. But, uh, I guess that didn't pan out so much.

I also figured that the "deeds" part made more sense with that interpretation.

Considering how she's framed in the game, that's even dumber.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Kojima has always been cringe to me but I give him the benefit of the doubt that he was being dramatic for comedic purposes here.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I'll never forget how this juxtaposed versus Yoko Taro being questioned at around the same time about why 2B's dressed like a fetish doll. He just said, "That's what I'm into lads," (if not in so many words) and that was forever the end of it.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
It's just another example of Kojima being a massive fucking creep. That whole character was just embarrassing.

I remember the original thread in GAF about it when MGSV was coming out and people were actually defending that statement and the way Quiet is portrayed in the game.

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020
Not gonna lie, Quiet was a snack. However, the hypersexual *in your face" outfit was super dumb and embarrassing. Especially during that god awful dancing in the rain scene. Holy Shit. Never in my Life have I grinded so hard for an Outfit in a game:

Xofoutfit.jpg

currytan

Sep 6, 2018
Not gonna lie, Quiet was a snack. However, the hypersexual *in your face" outfit was super dumb and embarrassing. Especially during that god awful dancing in the rain scene. Holy Shit. Never in my Life have I grinded so hard for an Outfit in a game:

Xofoutfit.jpg
Okay, this is much better! Now you are making me want to return to the game just to get it.