• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
A raft of big-name business groups is warning many employers won't participate in President Donald Trump's payroll tax deferral plan.

Calling it "unworkable," they said in a letter Tuesday to Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin that it risks saddling their workers with large postponed tax bills they could have trouble paying back.

"Many of our members consider it unfair to employees to make a decision that would force a big tax bill on them next year," they said. "It would also be unworkable to implement a system where employees make this decision."

"Therefore, many of our members will likely decline to implement deferral."

A White House spokesman defended the plan.

"President Trump used the authorities available to him to give employers the opportunity to put more money in the pockets of their employers," Judd Deere said. "He encourages all employers to take advantage of this in order to support hardworking Americans during this period of economic uncertainty."

"We hope Congress and the administration come together on a path that supports workers instead of burdening hardworking Americans with a large tax bill next year," the business groups wrote.

They included trade associations representing a swath of industries, including restaurants, drug stores, footwear companies, restaurants, contractors and winemakers.

www.politico.com

Businesses warn they won't participate in Trump's payroll tax plan

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce, National Retail Federation and the National Association of Manufacturers urged policymakers to return to negotiating a coronavirus relief package.

So his signing thing didn't do anything?
Very suprising?

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Why in the world would I do this? No. Useless.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually pleasantly surprised that businesses are being this forward thinking.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Of course.
With no guarantee of forgiveness for the deferred payments, there's no reason to do this.
It'll only cause headaches next year.

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
Trump doesn't give a shit about what happens after November. He just wants a few morons to see a few extra bucks, attribute it to him and then vote for him. The fact that they'll get a shock come next tax season isn't concerning to Trump and the GOP. Glad businesses are trying to protect their employees from a corrupt government.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Shocking, not shocking

there is a reason why trying to make a big deal about your orders was stupid. When nothing happens from any of them, it makes people even more pissed off at you

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
How in the world is this "putting money in employees pockets"? It's just deferring the bill. So giving money now and taking more later.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
So are they allowing the employee portion to be deferred or the business portion or both?

I bet it'll take most people's tax returns. My sister got all excited until we explained it's a deferment. She would be crushed if she lost all of her tax money.

It will be an order of magnitude higher than most people's tax returns I would think. Someone on a 50k income pays about $4k payroll tax annually. With another 4k being paid by the employer.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
why do a deferral of the tax, just do a stimulus every month until this pandemic is over

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It's an incredibly stupid proposal. First, it means stealing from social security if it's not paid back. Second, the company is ultimately liable for the unpaid taxes, which puts them in a difficult spot if the employee has left already. Third, if the employer pays the deferred taxes in 2021 that sum counts as income for the employee, which gets taxed!

Click through for the thread explaining it:

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
How in the world is this "putting money in employees pockets"? It's just deferring the bill. So giving money now and taking more later.
That only would have made sense if it were like the Obama-era social security cuts which were not deferments. This was just a whole lot of nonsense.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I am starting to think Trump isn't the business genius he pretended to be.
yV84-1vDEOr3-PrO7nbhmwJnGYw=.gif

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I work in the payroll industry for a fairly sizable HR & Payroll company where it's our job to know how to handle precisely this kind of shit, both to develop our software to accommodate laws and government mandates that affect payroll and to provide answers to clients who want to know how to handle this system to make sure their payrolls and tax filings are correct.

This executive memorandum is absolutely batshit bonkers for our company and all other payroll providers right now even as we work to reach out to our built networks of government liaisons who usually always tell us the gritty details of how this is going to work. It's shrug emojis all the way down. It's fucking nuts.

Our industry right now is basically in a month long version of this meme when it comes to figuring out how to deal with this.
D89FAKGWkAEtBjF.jpg

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
the concept of preventing people from paying these taxes until next april doesnt make sense to me. what would be the point exactly?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
the concept of preventing people from paying these taxes until next april doesnt make sense to me. what would be the point exactly?
He's saying that if he gets elected he'll forgive those deferred taxes. He's already run up deficits of about $7 trillion in less than one term, another $1 trillion being proposed by the Senate now, and there's this too. Anything he can do to buy his way back in, and save himself from the repercussions of his lifetime of illegal activities only being protected now his presence in the Office.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Republicans in 2020 under Trump: FUCK YEA I GET MORE MONEY THANKS TRUUUMP.

Republicans in 2020 under Biden: DEMS GIVING US HUGE TAX BILLS TO PAY FOR ILLEGALS TO MAKE GAY SPACE CYBORG FROGS!!!!

Oct 27, 2017
I work in the payroll industry for a fairly sizable HR & Payroll company where it's our job to know how to handle precisely this kind of shit, both to develop our software to accommodate laws and government mandates that affect payroll and to provide answers to clients who want to know how to handle this system to make sure their payrolls and tax filings are correct.

This executive memorandum is absolutely batshit bonkers for our company and all other payroll providers right now even as we work to reach out to our built networks of government liaisons who usually always tell us the gritty details of how this is going to work. It's shrug emojis all the way down. It's fucking nuts.

Our industry right now is basically in a month long version of this meme when it comes to figuring out how to deal with this.
D89FAKGWkAEtBjF.jpg
I work for an entertainment payroll company and, while I wouldn't be the one to decide, it kind of seems like they're just pretending this didn't happen. Because no one has so much as mentioned it. Probably don't want to not withhold and then, next year, we'll get calls from every single one of our employees to complain about their bill.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I work for an entertainment payroll company and, while I wouldn't be the one to decide, it kind of seems like they're just pretending this didn't happen. Because no one has so much as mentioned it. Probably don't want to not withhold and then, next year, we'll get calls from every single one of our employees to complain about their bill.
Hasn't been a peep from my employer about it. And we're a public organization in a currently red state!

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Of course they aren't. It's a deferment, not a cut. That means if they don't continue to collect it, they and the employees will owe the back amount when the "cut" ends. It's just moving money around in a way that makes bookkeeping a nightmare and could result in their employees getting a paycheck that would be greatly diminished, and them having to pay a huge amount in a single pay period.

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017
"President Trump used the authorities available to him to give employers the opportunity to put more money in the pockets of their employers,"

Loved that typo, if it's even a typo.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just an update on this from someone in the business. I work for a payroll company that has had engineers work to support this optional functionality should employers want to defer Social Security taxes for employees until next next year. This order took effect yesterday 9/1.

My company provides payroll and HR for tens of thousands of clients. The counts are in and precisely 0 of our clients have opted into this.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
We have I think 40k+ employees, we're not doing this. My wife's employer has even more, not doing it.