• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Whoever decided that Stadia should run on Linux should be fired. Not that it will solve any of Stadia's woes, but it will prevent that person from making any future decisions in relation to any Google product.

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe there is less than 30 games on the thing after it's been out for so long. That is outrageous.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
I'll be honest I was totally in on the idea of stadia based on the concept of the tech. I cannot believe that google got the base tech down but botched everything else so badly. The streaming worked seamlessly for me but nothing else is even remotely what was put forward. Having been downsized very shortly after launch I did return it (thank god) and even that was a horrible experience. I wonder how many people like me genuinely wanted it to succeed ended up returning it after launch or if not will re-up.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing people try to argue against the perception that Google is constantly shutting things down, but when even developers are keeping their distance from the platform because of it, it almost doesn't even matter if it's true.
Investments Google should have made, if they were serious:

- Buying at least a few studios back in 2017-2018.
- Waiving licencing fee for games for a couple of years, to encourage a wide variety of ports.
- An army of people working with any "partner" publishers, to make sure their games looked and ran as well as they possible could on Stadia's hardware - not sub-One X quality in most cases.
- Running the service as a free open beta, until the major features and "Base" tier were ready to go.
Honestly I think even if the just had a single first party game available for launch that would show a lot more commitment. At this point I'm not terribly convinced their first party support will ever materialize.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Also I want to add the biggest thing that turned me off was the promise of high end graphics turned out to be the biggest lie. I can't see how they compete with ps5 or XSX unless there is a radical shift in there business model.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Remember when some thought consoles were doomed because you could not have to pay $500 bucks to play games in next gen level settings?

Good times.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Surely once X cloud comes out and lets you stream every Xbox game, this thing is dead?
You can already do this on xcloud as of a few months ago, if you own a game you can stream it off your own system. And with Geforce now allowing a large amount of any steam library they seem to have a good offer on the table as well.

Stadia is just coming up too short when the competition seems to be making many of the right moves and that's only talking about their streaming competition. They also have to contend with Steam, Epic, Nintendo, Microsoft, AND Sony just for a share of the gaming pie and that's also not factoring mobile which between apple arcade and bigger games like Fortnite, pubg, and CoD mobile I don't feel like they can even compete there with their library vs natively playing a game on your phone. They've put themselves in a position where they basically have to contend with everyone and everything at the same time and they just don't have the resources or allies on deck to even come close. I love the tech but they completely bungled this whole thing with their business model and approach.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Honestly I think even if the just had a single first party game available for launch that would show a lot more commitment. At this point I'm not terribly convinced their first party support will ever materialize.

Jade Raymond has indicated it could be 4-5 YEARS before she thinks you see the first major exclusive that really leverages the "power of the cloud" on Stadia. That's absurd. And in the meantime, I assume you're getting more small, timed exclusive indie games.

They should have had one game ready to go in November, that really made the case for why Stadia matters. Instead, they seem to have assumed that the tech itself would sell it.

But of course buying studios is a big upfront investment, versus staffing up new ones internally at your leisure. This was my first sign that Google might not be as committed to Stadia as people might think. One of the biggest companies on earth, launching a new platform in a fiercely competitive industry, and you couldn't be arsed to make a single big studio acquisition? At a time when Microsoft bought or founded over 7 studios?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Lol google is out here trying to pay with social influence... despite Stadia having any of that.

This should be a post on r/choosingbeggars

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I keep seeing people try to argue against the perception that Google is constantly shutting things down, but when even developers are keeping their distance from the platform because of it, it almost doesn't even matter if it's true.

Having a must have piece of software definitely would have only helped, instead they based a lot of the service around Destiny 2 which the base game had become free on everything and was already a few years old.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the perception is the killer. For all we know, Google really might be totally committed to Stadia, but their habit of killing off product lines makes everyone wary of them and of anything they launch. They don't seem to have realised, over the years, that they were building a reputation for themselves that would make launching any new product exceptionally difficult, because although most of what they killed wasn't super-popular, the deaths of those products disproportionately burned the early adapters who are the people most likely to help get any new tech product off the ground.

There isn't a short-term fix for that with Stadia. If they're really serious about it, they'll need to spend years proving it.

Jade Raymond has indicated it could be 4-5 YEARS before she thinks you see the first major exclusive that really leverages the "power of the cloud" on Stadia. That's absurd.
It is kind of strange how Google were rumoured to be working on this since 2016, yet the lack of any Google first-party software suggests that Stadia was rushed to market. They don't seem to have done a whole lot with the three years they were working on this and it looks like almost all of the real work started within Google in 2019, leaving them launching with ancient games and a barren release calendar.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Google's "Success First, Invest Second" business strategy paying dividends as usual?

MILD SHOCK.

...Identifying Google: Accurate Results, with Simple Tools.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I tried GeForce Now recently and man, it was far better than stadia for me. Stadia I had bouts of heavy latency, GeForce was pretty much flawless. Crazy how a company like google can't do that, I mean they're bigger than Nvidia right?
Must be a datacenter location thing, both Stadia and Geforce Now works perfectly at my place, can't notice the latency. The small games library is Stadia's major problem as I see it.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It turns out fostering a reputation for killing recently launched projects without warning has tangible consequences, who knew.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, how many games are currently available on Stadia?

28...that is such a low number and it's March.

Last edited:

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Whoever decided that Stadia should run on Linux should be fired. Not that it will solve any of Stadia's woes, but it will prevent that person from making any future decisions in relation to any Google product.

That is part of the reason why there are a lot less games on the service. It effectively adds an entirely new platform to support, especially if a studio does not have experience with making Linux based game clients.

I'm actually surprised they have not chased the smaller companies that already have Linux versions of their games on Steam, to bring over their work to Stadia.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, two of the 3 major consoles are running far more exotic operating systems than Linux right now (PS4 is running a BSD and Switch is running a fully custom OS which may or may not be internally referred to as "Horizon"). It's not the sort of thing that tends to be an issue if the platform is generally healthy. If Google can manage to fix the wide variety of actual issues that Stadia has, their choice of OS will fade into the background just like it did for the other consoles.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That is part of the reason why there are a lot less games on the service. It effectively adds an entirely new platform to support, especially if a studio does not have experience with making Linux based game clients.

I'm actually surprised they have not chased the smaller companies that already have Linux versions of their games on Steam, to bring over their work to Stadia.

I'm sure they have, but what's the incentive? The install base is minuscule.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Another point where these subscription services are bad for devs and just service to show how unsustainable they are

slothrop

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Google is a laughably inept company. No one would trust a company this poorly managed and with no vision for anything
Basically yes. They are probably the most successful advertising company to ever exist, and they're very good at their core competency there. Maps is really their only other successful product that is revolutionary and still pushing the industry forward. Kubernetes is major too, but it seems no one really cares to stick with Google Cloud for it.

Their engineering focused, throw stuff out there and see what sticks strategy works for a bit as a smaller company, but it breeds significant ill will over years of cutting products to the point that people won't even try products because of it. This is the fundamental culture of their product management though -- I'm not sure how they regain trust from early adopters without a complete organizational reinvention.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
methinks google has an image problem they should tackle

They could have overcome it with Stadia, but the way Stadia was introduced kinda followed the pattern of most of their products. Just kinda haphazardly sticking a product out there and hoping people would just come aboard. They needed to wow the fuck outta everyone.

But ya that sentiment is going to continue to bite them in the ass.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I had the chance to speak with someone who worked on some aspects of Stadia before it launched.

I think Stadia's biggest flaw is its closed off ecosystem. If Stadia was simply another way to play PC game rather than a way to play "Stadia games" then I think a lot more people would have bought it and developers would have found it worthwhile to work with Google.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I keep forgetting about this thing and it's this place that reminds me...

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)

Borderlands 3 will be released on Steam in two weeks time and with crossplay between Steam and Epic. I checked if the Stadia version has already got the promised adjustment - not yet according to Reddit...

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Another point where these subscription services are bad for devs and just service to show how unsustainable they are

Or, it shows that the subscription services that are actually being sustained with actual publisher/developer support are doing something right comparatively. Stadia, if anything, shows that even a huge corporation like Google is fucked for content if they don't have anything that makes it worthwhile for the content creators.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
Biggest problem for Google is the impending competition.
GeForce Now looks to be a better service

xCloud is coming this year

PSNow is primed for a major revamp And will expand significantly.

All their competitors have avenues for offline play. Either on PC or console. Google's the odd one out.
Offline play is key for the next few years.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there is less faith in Stadia than there was in the Wii U. Wii U at least had a ton of indie games.

NoPiece

Oct 28, 2017
I had the chance to speak with someone who worked on some aspects of Stadia before it launched.

I think Stadia's biggest flaw is its closed off ecosystem. If Stadia was simply another way to play PC game rather than a way to play "Stadia games" then I think a lot more people would have bought it and developers would have found it worthwhile to work with Google.

If Stadia could just play PC games it would mean they need to have Windows based servers, putting them in business with Microsoft, who is also going to be their competitor. Microsoft is much better positioned to be the PC gaming streaming service since they own the Windows platform. Google needed a magic solution to run or convert Windows games under Linux, or at least much much better tools and support to help get games ported over.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why Stadia running it's own Linux OS is a problem. Yes, just running Steam games or whatever would be easier, but at that point Stadia isn't it's own platform, which is what Google clearly wants it to be.
That said, Stadia solely being cloud-focused is the most bone-headed move Google could have made. All the streaming competition is going to be attached to some way to download and play games locally.

Borderlands 3 will be released on Steam in two weeks time and with crossplay between Steam and Epic. I checked if the Stadia version has already got the promised adjustment - not yet according to Reddit...

Of course, whether there's a Stadia-Box you can buy doesn't matter if Google is fumbling dev relations all over the place.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
think about how terrible the gmail launch was.

they were basicaly lucky that gmail was so much better than everything else as a product.

Stadia isn't.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Making an exclusive stadia game seems like a bad decision at this point. But I'm more curious as to why there are so few games in general on stadia. Surely they're just PC games running on a PC so no "port" necessary. And the games are full price so earnings would be no different to being on any other digital storefront...And yet...it's missing so many games.

Either Google are taking an astronomical cut of those purchases (more than steams 30%?) Or there's something else going on keeping developers and publishers away?

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Making an exclusive stadia game seems like a bad decision at this point. But I'm more curious as to why there are so few games in general on stadia. Surely they're just PC games running on a PC so no "port" necessary. And the games are full price so earnings would be no different to being on any other digital storefront...And yet...it's missing so many games.

Either Google are taking an astronomical cut of those purchases (more than steams 30%?) Or there's something else going on keeping developers and publishers away?
Stadia is Linux, so more porting is needed

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just really don't get it. Google makes a lot of money and is one of the biggest companies in the world. Why not just buy the bullet up front and pay for a lot of content and creators at the start to establish a fan base. Eventually things will naturally progress and things will pay for themselves. They have the ability to be a big deal but just refuse to.

Dec 31, 2017
I have both, techwise Stadia had a massive edge. Hopefully the rumor of xcloud playing PC games is real
But xCloud is more about reach than technical edge (makes sense considering it's running on Xbox One S blades). Playable on cellphone, huge library of games at your disposal. Netflic isn't huge because of the quality of its content (video and audio quality)but because of its reach, and the same will apply to xCloud. That's how you get the big audience needed for those services to thrive.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Geforce Now has shown that their business model is much more popular than Stadia's. I wouldn't be surprised if they change to that model while at the same time keeping their own store for games that are truly designed to run in the cloud and cannot run on local hardware. On regards to the developers perception, that can only be fixed with time and making deals that really show they are committed to the service. 5 years from now if the service is still there, it will prove a point regarding Google's commitment to Stadia.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why Stadia running it's own Linux OS is a problem. Yes, just running Steam games or whatever would be easier, but at that point Stadia isn't it's own platform, which is what Google clearly wants it to be.

You answered your question there. Tuning your games settings for all the bells and whistles the data centre can support is a lot simpler than porting it to a new platform.

Just look at how much stuff Geforce Now can play out of the box (licensing disagreements notwithstanding).