• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not joking when I say I want Google to bring back Google+. It's the best social media platform I've ever used (full disclosure: I have not used IG or TikTok).
i want it back too. maybe not run by google, but i want circles sooo badly these days. i dont want to make multiple accounts for my different dumb interests, and i dont want to subject the people that follow me to all my dumb interests, or be subjected to somebody elses different dumb interests just because i follow them lol

Oct 25, 2017
Newcastle, UK
Pivotting instagram to compete wirh TikTok I get. I hate it, and they're bad at it, but I can see why they'd try. But I feel like the tiktokification of social media is primarily driven by young people, and anecdotally at least facebook seems dominated by boomers, and millenials who drop by infrequently to check with friends/family. They're never going to grab the youth again with facebook, the name is way too tainted and lame, and moving away from social connection seems like it'll alienate the people who still use it.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I've been wanting to delete Instagram this year anyway. Took me ten years to reach 1k followers, aka I've always been a social media flop 🤣 think I'm good without it

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Video apps are way more isolating, and require more of your attention compared to a passive app like how Instagram used to be. I would never idly check a video app while out and about, like I would something quiet and static like Twitter or Instagram.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
I feel like the novelty of social media, keeping in touch with friends/family over the internet, was basically destroyed during covid when everyone was basically forced to use Zoom and other videoconferencing tools. Most of my friends and family have moved to either using Zoom or Discord to keep in touch. Now, I don't have to deal with toxicity from strangers, just toxicity within my own social circle.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
This really sucks for photographers and artists. It doesn't impact my usage because I stopped using those apps 6 years ago. And now I don't even use Twitter so my only 'social media' is Era, Discord, and like 3 subreddits.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I wish the government would break up Meta, IG needs to be its own thing again.

Only a matter of time before corporate interests completely dilute what's fun and interesting about Tik Tok.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Hasn't this been the case for several years now anyways? Just checked FB which I do not use at all, every 2nd post is something random garbage promoted by the service.

Oct 25, 2017
IG's been dead for awhile now.

I'm super curious what small businesses like mine will transition to...

Places like [og] IG and Tumblr were awesome because it was just the content you followed / wanted or friends reposted, which was ideal for finding customers because it was DESIRED follows on both ends of the equation.

IG just shows me stuff I don't want to see, and nearly nothing I do.

And subsequently, as a small fashion retailer, none of my thousands of followers see or interact with my content anymore.

And no, I don't have the money to push ads, and that would just be contributing to what makes the platform shite now anyway...

Ugh.

We need something new that does what we actually want from that type of social network.

Let TikTok be TikTok, stop trying to be the everything platform!

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Its fascinating how Facebook and Insta parts of the Meta-megacorp see themselves as too big to fail when popular social media apps rise and fall like GOT…they murdered others on the way up and its inevitable others will try to murder them for their spots and will inevitably be successful.

Hell, the reason all this scrambling is happening is because they hear the loud footsteps of Tik Tok and see a wave of young users leaving.

They used to be able to buy their way out of things, now they can't.

Oct 25, 2017
Pivotting instagram to compete wirh TikTok I get. I hate it, and they're bad at it, but I can see why they'd try. But I feel like the tiktokification of social media is primarily driven by young people, and anecdotally at least facebook seems dominated by boomers, and millenials who drop by infrequently to check with friends/family. They're never going to grab the youth again with facebook, the name is way too tainted and lame, and moving away from social connection seems like it'll alienate the people who still use it.

Precisely.

They're sabotaging what their actual userbase wants by actively chasing a userbase that doesn't use Facebook or Instagram for these new "things" they're forcing down our throats.

It's self-destructive and it's infuriating to experience it happening.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I liked Instagram, because it were just pictures from users I followed.

Started the app minutes ago and all I got were tikto, I mean reels nonstop. Almost every person I followed seemingly piveted to clips. Even artists now do timelapse videos.

Reddit also gets worse and worse with recommendations, and ads on the feed.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
TikTok really shook them to the core damn
Being known as the #1 social network for Boomers hasn't done Facebook any favors over the last 5 years when it comes to luring in new, younger users. They're super desperate to shake that image (good luck). I have a number of Gen Z co-workers in their early 20s and not a single one of them has a Facebook page. In fact the idea of using Facebook actively repulses them specifically because their parents use it. They're all 100% in on TikTok.

This really sucks for photographers and artists. It doesn't impact my usage because I stopped using those apps 6 years ago. And now I don't even use Twitter so my only 'social media' is Era, Discord, and like 3 subreddits.

Yeah, as an artist myself it sucks that in order for your work to get noticed these days you can't just post the finished piece. You now have to post a complete time-lapse video of you creating the entire thing in order to get any sort of engagement whatsoever.

z e r t

Oct 27, 2017
Instagram is so shitty now. I see recommended posts way more often and ads than actual photos of the people I follow. I know I can switch to just show me the feed of the people I follow but having to do that every single time I use the app is frustrating.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Might this be enough for me to leave facebook? Just might be, since it's basically just 1 group, family messenger, and marketplace and no other use at this point

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The rising popularity of videos (Reels, etc.) over static assets has given me my first genuine "No, it's the children who are wrong"-moment.
Doesn't creating video content require significantly more resources than taking and editing a single image and would therefore make brands and content creators less likely to use them?

Addtionaly, as the attention span of people tends to get shorter and shorter, wouldn't video content also be less likely to grab their attention, as it takes more time to convey the message? Personally, I almost always skip video content on social media as often as I can, bc I feel like it's wasting my time.
Seems like I'm really getting old now lol

Still, video content seems to be the current "thing" for social media platforms, and the biggest losers from this shift are smaller creators and businesses who are not able to put in the needed ressources in order to be seen by potential customers. Ironic, since it's them that actually made e.g. Instagram what it has become today.

Last edited:

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
The rising popularity of videos (Reels, etc.) over static assets has given me my first genuine "No, it's the children who are wrong"-moment.
Doesn't creating video content require significantly more resources than taking and editing a single image and would therefore make brands and content creators less likely to use them.

Addtionaly, as the attention span of people tends to get shorter and shorter, wouldn't video content also be less likely to grab their attention, as it takes more time to convey the message? Personally, I almost always skip video content on social media as often as I can, bc I feel like it's wasting my time.
Seems like I'm really getting old now lol

Still, video content seems to be the current "thing" for social media platforms for now, and the biggest losers from this shift are smaller creators and businesses who are not able to put in the needed ressources to be placed in front of potential customers. Ironic, since it's them that actually made e.g. Instagram what it has become today.

Many just copy their TikToks to youtube shorts and Insta reels. So no actual additional work.

Michilin

Nov 14, 2017
At this point I'm willing to pay a subscription for a social network to not have to put up with any bullshit.

Tumblr could try to make a comeback if they didn't have braindead owners

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any plausible Instagram replacement? I just want to look at photos, not video.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
This is not great, the ratio of ads & recommended content ads to actual people I know posting on these platforms gets worse by the day. It will be interesting to see where my friends and I end up, we might have to start our own discord server or something.

Meta, please dont buy the platform I inevitably migrate to.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped using social media apps when they stopped showing me posts in chronological order by default. So a long time ago. They're just gonna keep changing and chasing each others trends.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I've been noticing this and it's getting worse. I don't want suggested posts. I just want a feed where I can see the people/things I follow.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Youtube is trying the same thing with this "Shorts" bullshit. It's the stupidest thing.

D2BYnUY.png

This is what I see on a 27" monitor. Empty space and a vertical fucking video. It's infuriating.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Youtube is trying the same thing with this "Shorts" bullshit. It's the stupidest thing.

D2BYnUY.png

This is what I see on a 27" monitor. Empty space and a vertical fucking video. It's infuriating.

It's terrible and it behaves like a completely separate component. In the event I did want to watch a short, I can't add it to a Watch Later playlist. Stupid. So, so stupid.

Didn't realize how disruptive TikTok was until this and Instagram's shit appeared.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Y'all remember when we used social media to be social with our actual friends who we knew irl? What a time to be alive.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely see why they're going this way. It's the price you pay for not having governments run these sites.

They can't "tax" you. (And we're already seeing people in the TV streaming space get sick of being "taxed" that way) So they have to fund the operation some how VC money expects returns.

It absolutely does suck though