• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Thanks for the kind words everyone! What type of scoring system are you hoping for? Combat-based along the lines of Devil May Cry series?

Nothing that deep, I just mean simple level-based/all leaderboards for the best scores with points assigned for killing different enemies and maybe drops giving points etc, a bonus given depending on how long it took you to beat the level/game etc.

Do enemies infinitely respawn? Otherwise, considering I haven't seen a time limiter, you could farm your score that way = utterly boring. You could even have a separate online-only high-score mode with a time limiter for the levels (or a million other simple ideas) and leave the "story" mode as is.

I don't like arcade/y games where you can't replay it to get a better score or you have infinite lives/continues and no punishment (at the very least score-wise) for failing; I mean it's a lot of fun to fight it out on the leaderboards or see what some skilled players come up with... it also gives a game more longevity imo

That's my opinion just because I get the feeling of a linear/level-based coin-op arcade game, maybe that ain't really the case and it's a more expansive adventure like Celeste with interconnected worlds, although even Celeste has a whole speed-run mode/community.

Game looks GREAT.
Please put an pixel-perfect optional scanline filter with no blur :P

Last edited:

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Nothing that deep, I just mean simple level-based/all leaderboards for the best scores with points assigned for killing different enemies and maybe drops giving points etc, a bonus given depending on how long it took you to beat the level/game etc.

Do enemies infinitely respawn? Otherwise, considering I haven't seen a time limiter, you could farm your score that way = utterly boring. You could even have a separate online-only high-score mode with a time limiter for the levels (or a million other simple ideas) and leave the "story" mode as is.

I don't like arcade/y games where you can't replay it to get a better score or you have infinite lives/continues and no punishment (at the very least score-wise) for failing; I mean it's a lot of fun to fight it out on the leaderboards or see what some skilled players come up with... it also gives a game more longevity imo

That's my opinion just because I get the feeling of a linear/level-based coin-op arcade game, maybe that ain't really the case and it's a more expansive adventure like Celeste with interconnected worlds, although even Celeste has a whole speed-run mode/community.

Game looks GREAT.
Please put an pixel-perfect optional scanline filter with no blur :P

Some enemies will respawn and some will not. Currently, any of the wave spawns where the screen locks will not respawn after clearing unless you leave the level and then return later. The game has some exploration elements where you can return to levels after clearing them with new upgrades and explore previously inaccessible areas of level. Kind of like the Mega Man X games, but with larger areas to explore.

And yes, there will be a scanline option, but no filtering of the sprites. We would never do that to this pixel art!

Switch physical release?

Yes, there will be a physical copy released for Switch. I'd recommend staying up to date with our announcements if you want to snag a copy at release ;)

acmshar

Nov 26, 2017
Wishlisted. I thought this looked pretty good last year, but the latest update looks great. The animations look so smooth. Also, awesome that you're from the area where I grew up!

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Ah man first I've heard of this, looks awesome!

I love Metroidvanias and the music and action look right up my alley.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game looks amazing.

Is the design influenced by the Game Gear Shinobis? Going back to separate levels after acquiring new abilities sounds similar.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Wishlisted. I thought this looked pretty good last year, but the latest update looks great. The animations look so smooth. Also, awesome that you're from the area where I grew up!

Thanks for the wishlist! We need as many as we can get! Yeah, I'm from Central PA, but the rest of the team is spread out all over the world.

This game looks amazing.

Is the design influenced by the Game Gear Shinobis? Going back to separate levels after acquiring new abilities sounds similar.

The design choice to have separate levels that you can revisit and explore more with upgrades wasn't influenced by any one game or series. It was more that we wanted to include some exploration and unlockables, but didn't want to have a "one big map" world/level design. I think our choice strikes a nice balance.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Is this another Metroid style action ninja game? It looks really good, like a lost arcade game from the 90s.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
First I've heard of this! The music in the trailer is great!

We put out a soundtrack sampler during the Kickstarter. You can download it here.

Is this another Metroid style action ninja game? It looks really good, like a lost arcade game from the 90s.

It's not a full-blown metroidvania. There are exploration elements though. You can revisit cleared levels with new upgrades to access new areas of the level which will contain additional upgrades.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
New update:

Unfortunately, Bushiden is going to be delayed a bit beyond the target August 2020 release date. There is more info (and gameplay footage!) on our newest Kickstarter Update.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New update:

Unfortunately, Bushiden is going to be delayed a bit beyond the target August 2020 release date. There is more info (and gameplay footage!) on our newest Kickstarter Update.

Looking great, and those are some wonderfully chunky-sounding sound effects.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
When a game looks this good, just take the time it needs.
let it cook! we'll wait
Looking great, and those are some wonderfully chunky-sounding sound effects.

Thanks, everyone!

A tad disappointed by the delay, but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

Sorry to disappoint. We are working super hard to make the game great, so it will be worth it!

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks maaaaaad right. If the soundtrack is anything like that in game .... wow

I missed the backer period but I'm buying this 100 percent.

yo... Dude even the fuckin sound effects sound fucking awesome.

New update:

Sucks about the delay but with the way things look so far, the game will be more than worth the wait! Everything looks like it's shaping up fantastically!

But if you guys want post the soundtrack—you know, whenever it's done—that'd be great. Cause I love the music. Please and thank you. Jk. Unless you'll actually do it...

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Game looks maaaaaad right. If the soundtrack is anything like that in game .... wow

I missed the backer period but I'm buying this 100 percent.

yo... Dude even the fuckin sound effects sound fucking awesome.

That's direct-feed video, so that's the in-game music.

Sucks about the delay but with the way things look so far, the game will be more than worth the wait! Everything looks like it's shaping up fantastically!

But if you guys want post the soundtrack—you know, whenever it's done—that'd be great. Cause I love the music. Please and thank you. Jk. Unless you'll actually do it...

I feel comfortable saying this since I'm not personally responsible for it... the soundtrack is SO GOOD. Seriously.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Can't wait for this one, it really looks amazing. Big Strider vibe from those cartwheels.