• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
amp.usatoday.com

Burger King takes aim at Chick-fil-A with plans to donate to LGBTQ group for every chicken sandwich sold

After renewed calls to boycott Chick-fil-A, Burger King took it as an opportunity to show its solidarity with the LGBTQ community.
After renewed calls were made over social media to boycott Chick-fil-A, Burger King took it as an opportunity to show its solidarity with the LGBTQ community.

Chick-fil-A CEO Dan Cathy was identified last week by The Daily Beast as a donor to the National Christian Charitable Foundation, which has a history of funding opposition to The Equality Act.

Burger King, which recently launched the Ch'King sandwich, tweeted Thursday it will donate 40 cents for every chicken sandwich sold in June (Pride month) up to $250,000, or 625,000 sandwiches, to The Human Rights Campaign.

"This is a community we love dearly and have proudly supported over the years, so we couldn't miss an opportunity to take action and help shine a light on the important conversation happening," a Burger King spokesperson said in an email statement to USA TODAY.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to buy one because Burger King has better quality food than Chic-Fil-A anyway, but I'll cop an extra when I do.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Much appreciated, but I can't help but wonder how many chicken sandwiches BK sells in a typical month.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A shameless, opportunistic cash-in opportunity based on a perceived potential demographic weakness for a competitor.

But there's worse ways to make a buck and I can't complain about cash flowing somewhere deserving in this endless hellscape of chicken warfare.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
There's literally people advocating for going to Chick-fil-A in the comments because this is political. Imagine. Just imagine thinking this exists in a vacuum where this is a political statement, but the actions of goddamn Jesus-fil-A are not.

Anyway, $250k limit makes this worthless. They should just donate their $250k and be on their fucking merry way instead of pandering by pretending this is some worthwhile rivalry to do right when they're going to limit it so substantially.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
That's a decent donation and the chicken sandwich is pretty good! (Except the one time it wasn't fully cooked! I think because The meat was too thick!)

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
A shameless, opportunistic cash-in opportunity based on a perceived potential demographic weakness for a competitor.

But there's worse ways to make a buck and I can't complain about cash flowing somewhere deserving in this endless hellscape of chicken warfare.
Yeah, even if it's nakedly opportunistic, if it means more money for good causes...

64965ada2a17356cb1f25bc6a3200fee8cfa3603.gifv

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of capping donations if you're only donating a portion of the sale in the first place? Just let that portion build for the month, come on. If anything, it'd result in more sales, which is what you're after here anyways.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
There's still a zero percent chance I'm eating Burger King though

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
What's the point of capping donations if you're only donating a portion of the sale in the first place? Just let that portion build for the month, come on. If anything, it'd result in more sales, which is what you're after here anyways.
Basically because of this:
ultimateclassicrock.com

35 Years Ago: McDonald's Olympic Giveaway Backfires

McDonald's was forced to give away a massive amount of free food as the result of an ill-fated 1984 Olympics promotion.
You never fucking know.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
Normally these kind of donations are one or two cents per item sold, but 40c is a decent amount from their $4+ dollar sandwich

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Basically because of this:
ultimateclassicrock.com

35 Years Ago: McDonald's Olympic Giveaway Backfires

McDonald's was forced to give away a massive amount of free food as the result of an ill-fated 1984 Olympics promotion.
You never fucking know.

Well then. Had never heard of this, and the ending had me realize that you don't see the Olympics logo at McDonalds anymore, and I wasn't just imagining it being there in the past. Now it makes sense! It is fairly different being a portion and not totally free/100% of profit off the item. But from a Marketer's standpoint, I now see where fear may kick in and a limit sounding like a good idea. (Would have had it a far higher limit, though.)

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
There's literally people advocating for going to Chick-fil-A in the comments because this is political. Imagine. Just imagine thinking this exists in a vacuum where this is a political statement, but the actions of goddamn Jesus-fil-A are not.

Anyway, $250k limit makes this worthless. They should just donate their $250k and be on their fucking merry way instead of pandering by pretending this is some worthwhile rivalry to do right when they're going to limit it so substantially.

Its capped?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Fair enough. I just wish that the Burger King in my area had the same level of lines the two Chick-fil-A have. One of the has two lanes for drive thru and literally have cars lined up into the actual street waiting to get in. At least 30 cars at a time.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It's a decent sandwich. Don't love it. Flavor is a bit off to me. But pretty good quality chicken. IIRC, Chik-FIl-A sandwich is vastly superior, but I don't remember the last time I went there, so I don't know.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Real talk, I'm going to BK tomorrow. I know it's not much, but that is badass and worth celebrating. The "even on Sunday" bit is so on point.

I haven't had BK in probably 6 years. No big deal to me. I miss those weird ass "onion rings". Whatever the fuck they actually are. The sauce is good either way.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
The cap makes any individual purchase pointless, but this is probably enough to get me to try it.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
It's only ~26,000 sandwiches per day. That's 4 per shop per day.

They're going to hit that target selling sandwiches to people regardless of the campaign.

Sorry to be a downer, but if you want to support HRC, donate directly.

Jun 14, 2019
Fair enough. I just wish that the Burger King in my area had the same level of lines the two Chick-fil-A have. One of the has two lanes for drive thru and literally have cars lined up into the actual street waiting to get in. At least 30 cars at a time.

That's because CFA's service time has turned to shit over the years. It's fucking ridiculous how slow they are.

Years back, you could be 20 deep in a drive-thru at CFA and still be out in 10 minutes. I obviously can't speak for what's going on inside the stores, but their through-put is shit. How hard is it to crank out chicken sandwiches? It's not as if the menu is broad and they're making things to order.

And, for the love of god, if I'm going through the drive-thru, can you at least respect that I don't want to have a person standing beside my car taking my order and taking my payment. I don't want to deal with you churchy shits that up close and personal.

Anyway, yeah, Burger King, cool that you are donating, but don't cap it. Let it ride.

Kainazzo

Dec 13, 2017
We have a local Chick-fil-A that's both impressively crowded and handled. Two drive-through lanes with a makeshift third during rush times, with as many as six people walking through the lines taking orders. All three lines zipper merge into the single drive-through window, which cars practically cruise through.

It is infuriating that an otherwise well-operated template of efficient fast food has to support such bigoted beliefs.

May 14, 2021
That's great of them. Shame their food is garbage tier. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try their new sandwich.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Moving to weaponize the LGBTQ+ community in the chicken sandwich wars

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Normally I'd say this is just more corporate fake pride but the snipe against Chic Fil A was likely not needed so maybe there's some honesty to it? I guess I can at least try a sammich (I dig BK for the most part, so I probably would have gotten one soon anyway)

Gin & Phonics

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The question is no longer, "Do you want to buy these Wheat Thins." It's now, "Will you stand with Wheat Thins in the fight against Lyme disease."

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I'll try the sandwich now but donate way more money than that BK you greedy opportunists.