• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Growing up, we always had bunnies because my dad hated dogs and cats but didn't seem to mind rabbits

My mom still has one of those bunnies. He turns 8 this year. He's not quite as active as he used to be, but he's still happy and healthy. He's a snuggly little pile of fur.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
How could you resist a rabbit with a mullet?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Let me double up and say this is my favorite ERA thread. I love bunnies. Which, I suppose, matches since I was born in the Year of the Rabbit lol.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
When informed people talk about pet rabbits they sound like they make great pets. Are there practical reasons that cats are more common, or is it just cultural?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
When informed people talk about pet rabbits they sound like they make great pets. Are there practical reasons that cats are more common, or is it just cultural?
While I think a good portion of it is cultural, I think the following also is involved:
Rabbits are generally quiet animals, which some people might not enjoy.
Dealing with hay can causes allergy issues.
They are fairly tiny and fast so they can get stuck in places around a house.
While house cats should not be let out either, house rabbits are more likely to be prey if put outside (snakes can easily get into a lot of those hutches people put their rabbits in).

Rabid-Coot

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this bunny a few years ago, having unique markings was great for seeing how much they will stick to the same area but also made it obvious that it wasn't around the following year.

dajei0u-f790aa6e-f520-499b-b276-9b5a645d764a.jpg

dc7bb57-98f76094-0cb0-4ec0-a051-e069964589d4.jpg

Last edited:

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I've been wanting to make a thread about the greatness of rabbits for a while. Cats ad Dogs are great but consider getting a rabbit especially since their abandonment rates are depressingly high.

I love my rabbit. He can be a bit of an asshole sometimes but he's a cutie all the same. Banana is like crack to him.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
yeah and they taste good. they're a great source of meat in terms of being climate friendly because of fast breeding and requiring little resources, especially for the yield. plus it's healthy meat. i know it's taboo in some countries to eat rabbit but in here in germany and france it's a popular meat.

Oct 25, 2017
I was at a fair and they had some bunnies, one had the softest fur I've ever felt but no one knew what type of rabbit is was

Any ideas? It felt like velvet

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
They are damn cute, but they have been a bit of a nuisance for me personally.
They have set up shop in my backyard. My two dogs are not fans of the rabbits themselves, although they do love their poop
So my dogs eat their poop whenever they can, which if they eat too much, does upset their stomach, which is no fun for us.
My dogs also hunt the rabbits any chance they can, and they have caught (meaning yes, killed) basically at least one a year. I hate it, but my dogs are just being dogs.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I had a cottontail nest in my front garden for two weeks. Was seeing my parents off on vacation, we see a rabbit gathering nesting materials, argue over the gender of the rabbbit before my father said "I think it's a girl. It just gave birth."

So in addition to house sitting for the next two weeks, I was also setting up a wildlife cam to take periodic snapshots of the mother returning, since apparently that is not something that has been documented on camera for the whole nesting period.

In those two weeks they went from hairless old nutsack looking things to little mini rabbits.

Oct 27, 2017

They're great pets, however, people buy them for kids, especially during Easter time since they think its easy to take care of them. The fact, is they require just as much care as any other animal, and they can live up to a decade. So they get thrown out after they realize its a serious pet. I always describe them as cute and likeable as dogs, but quiet and clean as cats(they are extremely clean, dont need to be walked like a dog, and dont need to be bathed, unless due to an exception). They can die really fast if you dont keep an eye on their eating/pooping habits(stasis) as their digestive systems are extremely sensitive.

But if you treat them as a family member and expect to have them around for many years, they are lovable, goofy, and affectionate pets.

I never had a bunny until my wife, who had experience raising them since she was a kid, asked to get one.

4ZoKlCl.jpg

I miss my little girl, though I know once we're ready, we're gonna get another one.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I have a cat. How do they differ?
So, one of the issues with having a rabbit as a pet is their personalities are a lot more varied than, say, a cat or dog. That's because they haven't until relatively recently been bread for reasons outside amount of meat they produce and their coat. Personality wasn't a factor.

My rabbit (a very large mini-rex) is incredibly smart, affectionate, and confident. She knows basic verbal and physical commands, she loves people (she will sit there and lick my leg for hours if I let her, and she likes meeting new people), and she's not afraid of anything. She will chew on things if given the opportunity, so her area has been made rabbit safe, but no other behavior issues. She's also 10 years old and still in fantastic health.

She's basically a dog.

But, this is not really the norm for rabbits. None of the rabbits my friends own (and I randomly have a surprising amount of friends with rabbits) are near her level of affection, intelligence, and confidence. I'm not sure what exactly we did so right, but a constant supply of (perhaps an excessive amount of) attention and love since the moment we got her certainly helped.

If I'm allergic to cats, dogs, bird feathers would I probably be allergic to a Rex?
You very well might not be, as a Rex's coat is very different than those other animals (it's actually the result of a mutation humans have breed for).

Last edited:

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
The only problem with bunnies is that they are physically drawn to electric cables and LOVE chewing them.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The only problem with bunnies is that they are physically drawn to electric cables and LOVE chewing them.
Yep. You can't have ANYTHING you're not ok with them chewing on within reach. Even if they have never shown an interest in something, they can randomly do a ton of damage very quickly.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We feed ours a grape 🍇 the juice, it was paradise for him and funny seeing him nom nom.

He lived for 12 years or so, was free to run about inside and out, toilet trained too. He was good fun and cute. Always loved how they clean themselves then pull down an ear and wash their face.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
Growing up I always had outdoor hutch rabbits because my sister was allergic to anything with fur. My first and last rabbits were Netherland dwarfs. I got to see the anti-social beginnings to the amazingly smart and cuddly 25 years later version.

I still miss Max, he was such a good bunny. I'd let him out daily into a huge pen constructed around my old sandbox that he couldn't dig his way out of. He loved digging trenches and rearranging the sticks and stuff in it. I'd walk over and he'd rush over to let me scratch his nose, bink back across the pen, and flop over in his trench. He made friends with the neighbor's cat, who would come over and lay down next to his pen and hang out. (She was tiny.) He lived to be 9.

No more rabbits for me though, I can't devote the time to them like I could back in high school and college.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
My sister had one. She never took care of it, sat in it's filthy smelly cage alone without any companionship. My mom started to feed it, and one day it bit her (totally reasonable considering how it was raised). My mom's solution was just to let it go free in a busy Texas suburb thinking it would have a happy free life. My mom wasn't the smartest. Not sure which fate was worse, sitting in that cage or going out into an environment that's guaranteed to kill it.

Oct 27, 2017
My sister had one. She never took care of it, sat in it's filthy smelly cage alone without any companionship. My mom started to feed it, and one day it bit her (totally reasonable considering how it was raised). My mom's solution was just to let it go free in a busy Texas suburb thinking it would have a happy free life. My mom wasn't the smartest. Not sure which fate was worse, sitting in that cage or going out into an environment that's guaranteed to kill it.

This makes me sad. Rabbits dont like being cooped up in a tiny cage all the time. They need some space to run free and explore a little. Its their "safe" spot but its miserable for them all day in there, especially without a companion.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
This makes me sad. Rabbits dont like being cooped up in a tiny cage all the time. They need some space to run free and explore a little. Its their "safe" spot but its miserable for them all day in there, especially without a companion.

Ya, it's pretty bad to think back on. We had a lot of pets that weren't properly cared for, the worse was the two stray dogs we picked up one day. Just sat in the backyard day/night/rain/sun with no shelter. Hurts me to this day to think about them.

Dec 2, 2017
Bunnies are awesome pets. I used to have two I bought from someone who bred them for their meat. They both died of old age. I would love to adopt another pair someday but I am hesitant. The bunnies got along fine with our two cats as those two were docile kitties. But one died last year and we have since adopted a cat who is very enthusiastic about everything and I am not sure if that would go over well.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
How long do these things live in comparison to cats and dogs? My quick Google search just netted me a 2 years in the wild but I think I saw someone say they had a rabbit for 10 years?

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to have a bunny but I can't really devote a whole room to rabbit proofing and I'd rather not have them in a cage when they need to be alone. I dunno, maybe they like a cage if it's big enough. It just doesn't seem right to me

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I would love to have a bunny but I can't really devote a whole room to rabbit proofing and I'd rather not have them in a cage when they need to be alone. I dunno, maybe they like a cage if it's big enough. It just doesn't seem right to me
Cages are shit. Bunnies need a decent amount of space - 50 square feet of run is the recommended minimum. Also, bunnies are social animals and having one on its own is likely to lead to it being unhappy, depressed and unhealthy.

How long do these things live in comparison to cats and dogs? My quick Google search just netted me a 2 years in the wild but I think I saw someone say they had a rabbit for 10 years?
Yeah, depending on the breed you could get a dozen years out of one if kept in good conditions. Sadly, the average life expectancy of pet rabbits is about 5 years.

Can you really let them just roam your house? Don't they poop all over the place?
They can be litter trained very easily. The bigger problem is that they love to chew on everything, and particularly on cables, so you have to be very careful about where they can go and what's accessible.
This is fucking grim and makes me really angry.