• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Feels like yesterday. Really liked this game, big ambition. The way the combat worked is almost a proto-Urban Chaos/Batman type of system. Remember reading that all the levels were designed by a REAL ARCHITECT which sounds cooler in theory than practise most of them felt like you were running around aircraft hangers.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god I had this game as a kid

tenor.gif

Vinimaw

Oct 28, 2017
Completetly forgot that it was a Bungie game, loved it back in the day.
Clearly a potential for a remake some day.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The combat was crazy for that time. It was also the first game I bought that came in a dvd case

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I played this at or around launch. I got a ps2, Oni and Evergrace. I played the shit out of Oni. It was an amazing game. I was blown away by the combination of shooting and melee fighting. It felt like I was playing an anime

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
I've always wanted to play this. I would stare at the box in GameStop/EB Games all the time, but never did buy it :(

The box for PC was really pretty, I think the whole thing was holographic from front to back and side to side.

The PS2 box I don't recall but I think the cover was also holographic.

I played this at or around launch. I got a ps2, Oni and Evergrace. I played the shit out of Oni. It was an amazing game. I was blown away by the combination of shooting and melee fighting. It felt like I was playing an anime

I liked how you could jump kick an enemy while holding a gun.

Or disarm someone with a weapon and use that weapon against them.

Then pull out the spin kick when your surrounded.

FFDC46847DA0B540B3B469100578B3BA36AA4A38

Last edited:

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I bought this game at a CompUSA based on the box alone. Loved it.

That was such a great age of PC gaming.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Heh, yeah, that was one of those early PS2 games you bought because you played all the good launch stuff, and were just STARVING for content on your new console that you would buy almost anything slightly notable.

To be fair, it wasn't the worst game even, but it wasn't particularly good/great, either. As others have said- the packaging was the best thing about it.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
This is such a cool thread, OP! Thanks for putting it together.

Was a bit before my time at the studio, and I'm ashamed to say I never played it. At some point, I plan to remedy that.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
This is such a cool thread, OP! Thanks for putting it together.

Was a bit before my time at the studio, and I'm ashamed to say I never played it. At some point, I plan to remedy that.

Whoa, thank you so much! I never thought someone at Bungie would reply to my thread, it really makes my day and the effort well worth it! :]

I hope you can get your hands on a copy! I'd really love for you to play it. I play the Oni Anniversary Edition on PC, so I have a few mods installed like higher resolution textures and other cool things the community made.

4AD688701C52545A3E8453BD7DE3316864596653

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Heh, yeah, that was one of those early PS2 games you bought because you played all the good launch stuff, and were just STARVING for content on your new console that you would buy almost anything slightly notable.

To be fair, it wasn't the worst game even, but it wasn't particularly good/great, either. As others have said- the packaging was the best thing about it.
This is how I felt. I ended up trading it for Super Bust A Move.

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
The AI pathfinding was so advanced for its time. It was a big deal back then. Love Oni so much, still play it every 2-3 years.

I sometimes used Oni's moves as online names back in the day. They're catchy!
If you ever played Sven-Coop 20 years ago with someone called DevilSpinKick, RisingFury, StrikerSlam, NuclearTackle or TenShadowPunch that was probably me.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that "shapeshifter" is probably the best cheat code I've ever had the pleasure of using in a game. Every single NPC can be your player character, even the bosses. Crazy amount of replay value right there.

Last edited:

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Whoa, thank you so much! I never thought someone at Bungie would reply to my thread, it really makes my day and the effort well worth it! :]

I hope you can get your hands on a copy! I'd really love for you to play it. I play the Oni Anniversary Edition on PC, so I have a few mods installed like higher resolution textures and other cool things the community made.

4AD688701C52545A3E8453BD7DE3316864596653
My pleasure!

Yeah, my plan would be to try the PS2 version just to see what it was like at the time for the console audience.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
My pleasure!

Yeah, my plan would be to try the PS2 version just to see what it was like at the time for the console audience.

I'm curious how much PS2 copies are going these days. Hmm, seems ebay has some listings between $10-$25.

I actually did a search for PC copies too, the price doesn't seem too bad but I never bought "used" PC games before:

Amazon.com: Oni - PC: Video Games

Amazon.com: Oni - PC: Video Games

The AI pathfinding was so advanced for its time. It was a big deal back then. Love Oni so much, still play it every 2-3 years.

If you ever played Sven-Coop 20 years ago with someone called DevilSpinKick, RisingFury, StrikerSlam, NuclearTackle or TenShadowPunch that was probably me.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that "shapeshifter" is probably the best cheat code I've ever had the pleasure of using in a game. Every single NPC can be your player character, even the bosses. Crazy amount of replay value right there.

Shapeshifter is definitely one of the coolest cheat codes I've ever seen in a game, that's for sure. I always loved playing as the SWAT looking TCTF guys.

Lion Axe! Lion Fist!

9065935275AE4444476AB947413DF99AC93D7E91

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Have they expressed any interest in revisiting their pre-Halo/Destiny IP's? I can recall a rumour (though no idea how valid it was) about Marathon but nothing more since then.
I think they talked about Marathon at an anniversary, but nothing about a new game. They'll probably mention Oni's anniversary in the next TWAB and that's it.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
Have they expressed any interest in revisiting their pre-Halo/Destiny IP's? I can recall a rumour (though no idea how valid it was) about Marathon but nothing more since then.
afaik, the Marathon rumour popped up because at around the time the Activision Destiny contract came out there were a couple Bungie folks helping out in some way with the iOS ports of the original Marathon games. As far as I'm aware, since then there hasn't been any reason to think old IPs are being revisited.

Erpy

May 31, 2018

Yup and the Anniversary Edition made it even better since it loads in all models rather than just the ones that appear in a level, meaning you can now play every level with every character rather than just the ones that Bungie added into specific levels. And the Jetpack cheat allows you to get through areas where jumping is needed without having to briefly change back to Konoko.

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
Does anybody know what the deal was with Konoko having longer hair in the anime opening?
Was her design changed because long hair looked bad during gameplay?

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I would love to buy an HD remaster of this game. It's one of those titles that would look great with cel-shaded visuals (genshin impact, xenoblade chronicles remastered, etc).

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Does anybody know what the deal was with Konoko having longer hair in the anime opening?
Was her design changed because long hair looked bad during gameplay?

I never thought about that! I was talking to Iritscen again, the Oni historian, and tells me that Alex Okita story boarded the intro and AIC made the animation.

Konstart1.jpg

https://wiki.oni2.net/File:Konstart1.jpg

AIC stands for "Anime International Company", and they animated Bubblegum Crisis.

You might have noticed I mentioned Lorraine and Alex Okita in the OP, they were part of the Oni dev team.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
This game was made by Bungie West, a separate studio formed in San Jose (IIRC) by Bungie (in Chicago).

It was indeed supposed to be an homage to Ghost in the Shell, but it was also plagued by development troubles and got dumped to market when Bungie was acquired by Microsoft. It's heavily stripped down from things the team said they wanted to do at the time. It's a ghost of a shell of a game.

I knew I was forgetting something very important, thanks for reminding me. I've updated the OP with Bungie West.

As for the final product, it indeed had some missing things like the Iron Demon seen in the trailer, and the mysterious orange haired character the community has named Casey, who is seen in the splash screens.

Luckily, some really cool modders in the community added those in Oni AE via mods.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
I would love to buy an HD remaster of this game. It's one of those titles that would look great with cel-shaded visuals (genshin impact, xenoblade chronicles remastered, etc).

I don't know where this image came from, could be a from an old version of Oni or someone from the modding community was messing around with the idea but it gives us a look at what it might have been like with cel-shaded graphics. :]

Cel-shaded_Konoko_with_VR_textures.jpg

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Very detailed, OP. The effort is greatly appreciated.

I've always been eager to try this one out. One of the few Bungie games I haven't touched.

Rockstar owns the IP nowadays, so the prospect of a re-release or sequel is pretty slim, unfortunately. I'd love to see either happen, though.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Getting some Crackdown 1 vibes from it.
Very detailed, OP. The effort is greatly appreciated.

I've always been eager to try this one out. One of the few Bungie games I haven't touched.

Rockstar owns the IP nowadays, so the prospect of a re-release or sequel is pretty slim, unfortunately. I'd love to see either happen, though.

Thanks! This game means a lot to me, I hope you can get your hands on it someday.

I know in the OP I stated the dream would be a GOG release, but honestly any release is welcome. There's so many old CD-ROM games that never got any sort of re-release and as time goes on they will eventually be forgotten.

I don't think Oni should be forgotten, it was flawed I know, but it left behind a very fun and interesting take on combat. In the vanilla version of the game, you unlocked moves as you progressed into the levels but in Oni AE, the community modded version of the game, you start with all the moves right from the start which is a welcome change.

As for who owns the IP, I wanna say Take-Two owns the IP now these days but they probably don't even know or remember that they have it either.

Feels like yesterday. Really liked this game, big ambition. The way the combat worked is almost a proto-Urban Chaos/Batman type of system. Remember reading that all the levels were designed by a REAL ARCHITECT which sounds cooler in theory than practise most of them felt like you were running around aircraft hangers.

That's correct, some stages were rather massive in size, while others were shorter and more linear but there were some great scenarios.

Like this one for instance; at the end of the Bio Manufacturing level, you spawn at the lower level of the building with TCTF allies patrolling the lobby. Then all of a sudden Syndicate goons start opening fire on everyone from the balconies above. I played this particular stage a lot back when I was still in middle school, along with the TCTF HQ level.

5920AF2783771D8588847FF312783372A08CBE68

Not to mention I liked how the devs hid away items in certain parts of the levels that made you go "Huh, how do I get over there?" or "Oh! An item!".

Last edited:

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Oh man, this brings back memories. It was one of the first PS2 games I bought back when I was finally able to snag one (about 6-8 months after PS2 launched?).

It was janky as fuck, but enjoyed it. So many fond PS2 memories...

5 gifts from Shinobido Heart

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 5 gifts from Shinobido Heart Shinobido Heart!

This is a three-day raffle that will expire in 72 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Shinobido Heart said:
TXMPSHINtalking.png

Shinatama: Konoko, it's time for a giveaway.
-

TXMPKONlistening.png

Konoko: A giveaway? What for?
-

TXMPSHINlistening.png

Shinatama: Today's the 20th Anniversary of Oni, Konoko. It's not like you to forget...
-

TXMPKONscared.png

Konoko: ...20 years?! Has it really been that long?
-

TXMPSHINtalking.png

Shinatama: Yes, today is January 29, 2021. The day Oni released in North America!
-

TXMPKONsmile.png

Konoko: I see... but what are we giving away, Shinatama?
-

TXMPSHINtalking.png

Shinatama: We're raffling away five $20 Steam Wallet Codes to celebrate the occasion!
-

TXMPKONpsychedup.png

Konoko: Five $20 Steam Wallet Codes?! Sounds Exciting!
-

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: $20 Steam Wallet Code - Won by Gouf Gouf (20 entries)
  • Steam Steam: $20 Steam Wallet Code - Won by Dukie85 Dukie85 (19 entries)
  • Steam Steam: $20 Steam Wallet Code - Won by Brunire Brunire (19 entries)
  • Steam Steam: $20 Steam Wallet Code - Won by NCartwright15 NCartwright15 (19 entries)
  • Steam Steam: $20 Steam Wallet Code - Won by Springy Springy (19 entries)

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
This game is pretty neat and I had a lot of fun with it growing up (in fact I still have the PC disc here beside me).

The levels were pretty sparse but the combat is stellar and there is nothing like it, even today. The soundtrack was sweet too. Hit me perfectly when I was in that ninja/great warrior phase haha. I also loved the Mercury Rifle sound effect so I'd always use it when I could.

R I S I N G F U R Y

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I remember it being incredibly boring despite giving the impression it was going to be some cool ghost In the shell shooter/brawler. It was just Box rooms with dumb AI and simple combat. It always reminded me a lot of fighting force 2 (which was also awful)

Bungie certainly have come a long way. But this is one I think I'd sooner forget. I'd be interested to hear what they think about it looking back.

NeoKnight

Oct 28, 2017
I loved Oni so much back in the day. Trailer still looks great, and those HD screenshot make me so sad ya can't find it anymore. So glad I found this thread, bookmarked.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
I played this game back then on my iBook. Can't remember it well since I was playing GitS:SaC back to back. Still, I remember having some fun with the melee more than in GitS. An updated version would be great!

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I'm wondering if this is actually another child of Lost Source Code, because other than maybe distribution rights issues, I can't imagine this being hard to get a weird port or even just a GOG release.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
I loved the demo and played it to death but for some reason I never got to purchase the full game. That trailer music (which I eventually learned was called Konoko Chase) sounded in my head for two decades.

I had never played something like that at the time. I remember the combat system was extremely satisfying.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
I loved Oni so much back in the day. Trailer still looks great, and those HD screenshot make me so sad ya can't find it anymore. So glad I found this thread, bookmarked.

I'm glad you liked the thread!

I've been working on putting this thread together since early December of last year, all for this day. :]

I'm wondering if this is actually another child of Lost Source Code, because other than maybe distribution rights issues, I can't imagine this being hard to get a weird port or even just a GOG release.

That's a really scary thought, I hope that's not the case. :[

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
This is one game I've always wanted to try but never really got the opportunity to do that. Hopefully we can get a rerelease someday.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I remember liking this game. Combat was good, level design felt boring. I remember wishing the game was better than it was, because the core gameplay was so fun.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
The thing I remember most about this game besides the ending is that the running neck breaker was OP as hell and I abused the shit out of it.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be interested in a remake or spiritual sequel—the gameplay seemed like a relatively unique mix of hand-to-hand and shooting

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing the PC demo at the time. the GITS influence was why it caught my interests. I also like the promo artworks...I felt like the capture the style/essence of anime art styles from the 90's - early 2000's.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
I remember this game well and it always stock out when looking at the shelves / market stall.

sYn0J83.jpeg

This is the cover I remember having. I remember getting it around the same time as the ZOE Metal Gear Solid 2 demo.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
yeah, super fond memories of this game and i never understood why developers never really tried harder to capitalize on the "anime" style of art or narrative the way Oni and Shogo tried to (with varying degrees of success), at least at the time.

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
Great game with one of my favorite real-time combat systems. I wish someone copied/emulated it. The game was relatively popular here in Russia or at least I think so judging by my circles.