• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 23, 2017
LFzINFc.jpg

Before I begin, I'd like to give a shout-out to Claude who has been running Bungie.org since 1999, Harry who runs the subdomain Oni Central since 1999, and Alloc who runs oni2.net since 2005. These fan sites have been up for such a long time, I wanted to give a big thank you!

NkKa7Wq.png

(Credit to Lorraine from the Oni community for the pictures used in the banner, I was able to put something together for the 20th Anniversary)

20 years! Has it been 20 years already!? Please join me, as myself and the Oni community, celebrate this momentous occasion!

Released for the PC back in January 26, 2001 for EU and January 28(29), 2001 for NA. It was created by the team over at Bungie West. Oni played a big part of my childhood growing up. I remember my parents taking me to the local Walmart Super-center and I'd always go visit the electronics section to play the latest games on their kiosks. The computer aisle was pretty hidden at the time, away from the console gaming area and when I discovered it, I started visiting the little tucked away aisle often since I found it to be very mysterious.

It was there that I discovered Oni.

When I first saw the box it blew me away; it was this big holographic box that shined under the stores fluorescent lights. This was the coolest thing I ever saw, it really drew me in! Of course, I couldn't get my hands on the game at the time which really bummed me out. I was just a kid still in middle school with no money in my pocket but every time I came back to that computer aisle it was always there as if it were waiting for me to buy it. Months flew by...

...and I did. I saved up my birthday money and bought it.

My parents owned a Compaq computer with Windows 2000/Millennium and to my surprise Oni ran on it like a dream. This was when I discovered our computer could run games like this which led to a lot of great memories with games like Battlezone II, Heavy Gear, Speed Busters, Global Operations, and most importantly, Oni.

You play as Konoko, a TCTF operative, in a dystopian world so polluted that most of the Earth is uninhabitable. The small human population that remains rely on Atmospheric Conversion Centers (air purifying plants) to keep them alive. The TCTF are tasked with putting a stop to the Syndicate who wants to destroy these air purifying plants. While fighting the Syndicate, Konoko realizes that the TCTF is holding her past a secret which causes her to go rogue and on a quest of self discovery.

I'd always wake up an hour or two before school (As early as 5am) to get in some game time; saving TCTF officers, beating up Syndicate goons, and cracking some bones in the process. I did this for years so I was a sleep deprived kid back then...but I was having a hell of a good time. Whether I was going through the early stages of the game like Airport and trying to save as many civilians as I could, going through TCTF HQ and helping out the TCTF officers fend off against the invading Syndicate forces, running around in Rooftops and jump kicking enemies off the ledge to their doom, playing as one of the games many NPC's and trying to save Shinatama for the umpteenth time.

It was an absolute blast every time...and now here I am. Twenty years later, I'm 31 now, and it really boggles my mind that I still play Oni.

Again, it's thanks to the Oni community for creating the Anniversary Edition that has allowed me to play this game on a modern computer. Without them I wouldn't be able to play this again.

It was great going through Oni again in 2020. It brought back a lot of fun memories but I was also able to have new experiences with all the great mods people in the community have put out over the years. Even now, the community continues to work in the shadows on new things. No, I don't have anything to show, it's just nice to know that people are still making mods for the game 20 years later. You know, it's really rare for a game to have such long lasting, dedicated fans.

You really won't find a game like this again.

I know people who formed a negative opinion on Oni most likely played the PS2 version. It's known amongst the Oni community for not being a good port. The ideal way to play this game is on PC; it was made for PC first and foremost. I highly recommend trying to get your hands on a PC copy if you can. However, if the PS2 port is the only way you can play it then that's ok!

If you have some time to spare and want to show your support, please stop by the Oni page on GOG and put in a vote! The dream is that one day, Oni can be re-released and bought from GOG or other storefronts. Every vote helps!

Oni - GOG.com

Download the best games on Windows & Mac. A vast selection of titles, DRM-free, with free goodies, and lots of pure customer love.

The Oni community has a very fascinating history surrounding it. If you'd like to know more about Oni, the Oni community, or its modding scene, then visit the links below. Iritscen, also known as "The Oni Historian", documented them here:

With all this said, I plan to continue to play Oni for many years to come. There are still mods out there I have yet to try! I've put together some avatars down below and some celebratory screenshots, please enjoy!

HERE'S TO ANOTHER 20 YEARS!
giphy.gif

(Shout-out to Lorraine and Alex Okita from the Oni community, I was able to put these avatars together as well!)

DPXo9JA.png
uaPVqnp.png
n8y7coa.png

2JDHgcS.png
4R2gkEc.png
fImkugy.png

WxHVlNM.png
okQA2g5.png
vJxVYuU.png

R5MwlJR.png
rXcNCas.png

Celebratory screenshots for the 20th Anniversary:

Last edited:

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Oh did that PS2 port soured me touching this game.

Maybe I'll give it another shot on the PC after all these years.

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
This one and Shogo are two of the games I wish my PC could play back then.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Reminder that Oni 2 almost happened, though not by Bungie

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I never played the game, but the cover art is burned into my memory. It spoke to my teenage weeaboo brain.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I played it on PS2 when it released and didn't care much for it. A couple years later I tried it again, with cheat codes... had a total blast.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Always surprised this game cause its always in the used games bin on my local GAME, and that it was an anime game by frigging Bungie, the Halo dudes. Was this game made in their weeb phase and wanted to make a Ghost in the Shell game? Also, Oni seems like the most american name for an anime game made by americans. And i don't say it in a bad way, at least it seemed like they knew what Oni meant.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
it's crazy to look back at a game you haven't actually really seen again in all that time. I can't be the only one that sort of uprezzes old 3D games in my memory. Look how empty those environements are and how blocky the characters are. The flat lighting. Absolutely not the way I pictured it in my head, though of course, it makes sense for the time.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I still have a PS2 copy and while the port isn't great, it's not a bad way to play it if it's your only way. PC version is easily superior for every reason you could imagine or expect, though.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I had a pretty fun time with Oni during the few hours I played it on my brother's PS2. I remember having some trouble with the controls at first though; I'm pretty sure it was the first dual analog game I played, so that was probably a big factor, but if I remember right the R and L buttons were used for melee moves, which was also new for me.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
I still have a PS2 copy and while the port isn't great, it's not a bad way to play it if it's your only way. PC version is easily superior for every reason you could imagine or expect, though.
Okay, what's the deal aboutthe PS2 port that makes it so horrible as you say?

Yeah, maybe i'm being a bit too harsh on the PS2 port. It is easier to get your hands on it than the PC version.

I remember the control layout being rather unbearable on PS2.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I used to mix this up with Onimusha and Musha lol.

Not as bad as Wes Anderson, Paul Thomas Anderson and Paul WS Anderson.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
Played this at my friend's house when I was a youngster, always wanted to get it myself, but my PC at the time was about half a potato, so I never got around to it. From what I remember, game was pretty dope though.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
This was my first PS2 game. I vaguely remember a time when I was more excited for Oni than Halo (back when Halo was originally in development for Mac).

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Played the demo to death as a kid, never played the full thing I think. Just remember loving the demo. Would love for the full thing to be on steam sometime. Though doubt that will ever happen.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I played the Mac version a few years back. I love Bungie, but this one needed a lot more time in the oven imo. Similar to Enter the Matrix, the combat system was the only thing carrying the entire package. I'd buy the shit out of a remaster of sequel though, the concept is still sick and the original game could easily be improved with mods.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We're you watching something Oni-related before? I'm curious if there are any youtubers celebrating as well. :)
Years ago.

All of the sudden on Friday I started getting recommendations out of nowhere.

Also, your username is awesome.

Edit: I was so hyped for this game. I picked it up on release day during a lunch break (PS2) and had it on my desk for the rest of my shift. I even put my name on the Konoko cardboard cutout at EB (it was a cool centerpiece in the office when I picked it up about a month later). I worked with a bunch of Marathon heads and they were excited to see Bungie's next property. A few people stopped by my place that night and we had a lot of fun taking turns playing. It was confusing and difficult at the time, but I've played it since and the control scheme actually feels quite modern now.

I bought the PC version shortly after. It was far superior and the mouse made gunplay feel like cheating. The PS2 copy stuck around in my library for a long time. I think until I sold my console and collection to a friend in 2012-ish.

Last edited:

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Played the demo a million times until I could finally afford the full game, and loved it. Also just remembered that I lent the game (PC version with the cool box) to a coworker in like 2004 and he got fired literally the next day.

Oct 17, 2018
I remember playing this when I was young, like 6 years old, and in the tutorial it basically asked you to press the L3 button. I had absolutely zero idea what the L3 button was, so I kept looking at my controller like "Where the fuck is the L3 button??". Eventually, I got frustrated and quit the game. Few years later I replayed it and it was pretty good.

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
Still have this for my PS2. I remember this being a pretty difficult game but one that I was determined to complete and I did. I loved the challenge, the combat, the levels, the story it was all so cool for my 12 year old self. I would love an HD Remake!

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
I remember getting this at Target for PC. Had a fancy shiny box and was published by R*. Very fun game, though every map was basically a metal warehouse.

I really should play it again.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Years ago.

All of the sudden on Friday I started getting recommendations out of nowhere.

Also, your username is awesome.

Edit: I was so hyped for this game. I picked it up on release day during a lunch break (PS2) and had it on my desk for the rest of my shift. I even put my name on the Konoko cardboard cutout at EB (it was a cool centerpiece in the office when I picked it up about a month later). I worked with a bunch of Marathon heads and they were excited to see Bungie's next property. A few people stopped by my place that night and we had a lot of fun taking turns playing. It was confusing and difficult at the time, but I've played it since and the control scheme actually feels quite modern now.

I bought the PC version shortly after. It was far superior and the mouse made gunplay feel like cheating. The PS2 copy stuck around in my library for a long time. I think until I sold my console and collection to a friend in 2012-ish.

Haha, thank you! :)

So wait, are you saying you have one of those cardboard stand promotional materials? Does it look like this?

(I don't know who the guy is in the picture)
Konoko_Fully_Armed_standup_with_fan.jpg

Played the demo a million times until I could finally afford the full game, and loved it. Also just remembered that I lent the game (PC version with the cool box) to a coworker in like 2004 and he got fired literally the next day.

Oh man, that really sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. :(

I hope you get to play the game again some day.

Madden

Nov 21, 2017
I had the PC version of this and enjoyed it enough at the time. I remember one thing the reviews bashed it for was that the levels were designed by actual architects, and they complained that it turns out it's not as fun playing through "real" environments instead of those made specifically for games without following any rules. I vaguely remember the levels being kind of boring but it's been so long, I did finish the game though.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Always surprised this game cause its always in the used games bin on my local GAME, and that it was an anime game by frigging Bungie, the Halo dudes. Was this game made in their weeb phase and wanted to make a Ghost in the Shell game? Also, Oni seems like the most american name for an anime game made by americans. And i don't say it in a bad way, at least it seemed like they knew what Oni meant.
This game was made by Bungie West, a separate studio formed in San Jose (IIRC) by Bungie (in Chicago).

It was indeed supposed to be an homage to Ghost in the Shell, but it was also plagued by development troubles and got dumped to market when Bungie was acquired by Microsoft. It's heavily stripped down from things the team said they wanted to do at the time. It's a ghost of a shell of a game.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
I always wished some company would rip off Oni's gameplay for a Cowboy Bebop game.

Also, Oni was legit. I made some texture mods for it many years ago, but never released any.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I remember this came out when back when I was just downloading a ton of demos on PC from like... fileplanet? [something]world? and just replaying them over and over.

I never actually played the full game, but I remember thinking the demo was cool.

I was gonna say "Happy birthday, Oni!" but then that'd make me sound like one of those dudes from Dragon Ball Z wearing the "HELL/HEIL" t-shirts, lol.

Dec 25, 2018
This game was made by Bungie West, a separate studio formed in San Jose (IIRC) by Bungie (in Chicago).

It was indeed supposed to be an homage to Ghost in the Shell, but it was also plagued by development troubles and got dumped to market when Bungie was acquired by Microsoft. It's heavily stripped down from things the team said they wanted to do at the time. It's a ghost of a shell of a game.
I see what you did there.

I think I may have seen this game in the used section of GAME on a few occasion's years ago, but this would have been years before I had any interest or awareness of Halo, Bungie or GIT'S.

Seems cool, and could do with a port/remaster.

I'm still waiting on that remake bungie.
Have they expressed any interest in revisiting their pre-Halo/Destiny IP's? I can recall a rumour (though no idea how valid it was) about Marathon but nothing more since then.