• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

strikeselect

Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I'm surprised. Destiny has been a financial flop for Activision. They went into it expecting the next Halo and got a niche appeal shooter at best. Good move for both sides.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Wow, LTTP and already 33 pages.

So what was the cause of this "tension" that preceded even Destiny? Was it the weekly player retention as well as the microtranscation earnings expectations since I can't imagine both Destiny games sold poorly.

Also, what are the chances that Bungie, like Insomniac can stay independent for the at least a while?

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Yea absolutely and I do blame Bungie on that. If you remember before D2 launch Bungie was saaying how they want Destiny 2 to be a game that people pick up and play for a while and drop until next DLC, or play when they feel like, make exotics super common and also less powerful. This was obviously going to affect the regulars. Now before Forsaken they said they wanted to cater to their regular players, make exotics super rare and powerful. This dilly dallying shows a lack of focus.
I'll definitely blame Bungie for giving into Activision's goals for Destiny over their own. I just don't think it is an indictment of Bungie's ability to make great games, especially after Warmind and Forsaken.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is this good news for Bungie?...sounds like it...I wish Bioware would announce their split from EA
Bungie was not owned by Activision, that is the difference.

And Microsoft owned Bungie yet they were let go.
Bungie was the exception, not the rule. Microsoft understood that if it were not for Bungie there would be no Xbox division. Better to negotiate a deal to keep the Halo IP and let Bungie buy back their independence in order to keep a good business relationship in the future.

Bioware doesn't have that sort of clout.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I mean...now that Bungie is independent, what kind of content trajectory do most players actually want to see from Destiny moving forward? Ditch D3 and just release large expansions to the existing engine for the foreseeable future?

I think Destiny 3 happens in 2020 but its going to have that "this probably could have just been DLC" feel that something like Hitman 2 did. Or Destiny 2 did.

Now we gotta wonder when the NetEas IP happens. THATS the future since I do believe the Destiny brand is pretty trashed now.

Nov 14, 2017

As others have said, it's from Vault of Glass, the first Destiny raid. Luke worked on it, so it's fitting for him to say that. He also was the lead on TTK, which was when Destiny really first got good. All the hate at Luke over base D2 shows how short some people's memories are. Also: launch D2 was better than launch D1. Don't @ me; you know it's true.

ecf30275cd3cd91d441d4ca066cd1d08.jpg
FTFY:

XVYmII8.jpg

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I'll definitely blame Bungie for giving into Activision's goals for Destiny over their own. I just don't think it is an indictment of Bungie's ability to make great games, especially after Warmind and Forsaken.
But Warmind was Vicarious Visions and an awful lot of Forsaken was High Moon studio.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As others have said, it's from Vault of Glass, the first Destiny raid. Luke worked on it, so it's fitting for him to say that. He also was the lead on TTK, which was when Destiny really first got good. All the hate at Luke over base D2 shows how short some people's memories are. Also: launch D2 was better than launch D1. Don't @ me; you know it's true.

FTFY:

XVYmII8.jpg
You're a gentleman and a scholar

5qP.gif

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they have better plans than releasing expansions for an existing title when it comes to funding a 500+ employees studio. :)

You sound a little salty. Maybe it was the smile at the end at the end of your statement. We really don't know what their final headcount will be. Who knows maybe their are staffing cutbacks which is something that happens and isn't a sign of failure. Maybe they make such a great product and make boatloads of cash and can hire more! I'm not sure there is anything to be smug about yet.

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
I think Bungie cut Activision loose because they realize they could simply go to Sony or Microsoft and those platform holders will promote the hell out of Destiny 3.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
So I mean...now that Bungie is independent, what kind of content trajectory do most players actually want to see from Destiny moving forward? Ditch D3 and just release large expansions to the existing engine for the foreseeable future?
I have no idea how they go forward.

For an IP like Destiny, the only real ways to sustain it over years are things like monthly subscriptions or F2P strategies like we see with Path of Exile and Warframe. But those studios are probably much smaller with far lower overhead than Bungie has presently (conjecture).

I'd think Bungie needs a couple more games on the market to make everything work well. But idk.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Was not expecting this at all though I certainly am happy. Going to be really interesting to see where Bungie goes from here.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Destiny 2 was never gonna come out completely fine after the reboot mid development, I agree on that. That said had the game given the playerbase a reason to continue after the running through the content, I think people would have been somewhat happy and not felt like jumping ship after D2's launch.

There wasn't any reason to do campaign missions after your initial run through. There wasn't any incentives to do adventures after you had out leveled them. There was no reason to engage with strikes after completing them once. Exotics were given out like candy and with no random rolls you got every good gun within a 3 weeks. Crucible would have never needed to have been gimped with weapon slot or balance changes had they had a focus on the core fans from the start.

These are design decisions that wouldn't have needed massive increase in manpower or a mid dev reboot shouldn't have affected Had D2 been focused on core players from the start. Bungie has definitely made poor decisions but if they stuck to their guns Destiny could have had significantly more goodwill.
To be fair, most games that run into the hundreds and thousands of hours of play time don't offer any reason to do campaign missions after you do them once. Games like Diablo only have the story mode there as a vehicle to get you to the end game content. Same for Path of Exile (though to a slightly lesser degree).

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
It is nice that Bungie got out and got to hang onto Destiny. Hopefully should we get Destiny 3, it will be the best one yet. We'll see what happens.

Now if only Blizzard was able to get out of the deal... Sadly I have my doubts that Activision will loosen their grip on them (unless if Overwatch were to belly up suddenly while Diablo Immortal was to do as bad as the reveal was made off to be).

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Honestly, I thought the opposite would happen.

Bungie would forfeit the rights of the franchise over to Activision. Vicarious Visions and High Moon would take over development. Meanwhile, Bungie moves on to their new IP and self publishing.

But this is...wow. I'm definitely optimistic though. This will more than likely be a good move for everyone involved, providing Bungie isn't totally inept when it comes to project management and delivering content (I know...).

Hopefully now that Bungie has absolute and total financial and creative control, they finally deliver on the original promise and true vision of the game with Destiny 3.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
But Warmind was Vicarious Visions and an awful lot of Forsaken was High Moon studio.
Sure, but was the decision to change the focus from accessibility to endgame content made VV/HM or Bungie? Not to diminish what they have done, but I sincerely doubt Bungie wasn't the main reason why D2 has completely changed focus. What I'm saying is the quality of content wasn't launch D2's problem, it was incentivizing player to continue engaging with that content more than once.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
It would but look how many ps4's a marketing deal with Sony destiny sold in 2014. And that was multi platform. Imagine what an exclusive would do. You have to remember the Playstation brand is huge compared to xbox.
I know but Halo 1 2 3 and Reach carry a fuckload of weight, and you have to remember a huge lot of XBox users are now PSN users. So it would carry more weight then you think.

Please indulge me for a good minute and just imagine the scenario at play. Xbox gets a Bungie exclusive, and I can guarentee the first things you'll see is "Xbox and Bungie Together??!?!? Is Xbox Finally Gonna take 1st Place", or something along those lines will be on every news site out there.

It will carry word of mouth so fucking quick, it would be the same as HL3 releasing. Bungie and Xbox those two in people's minds runs through a bucket load of nostalgia. That's what it would run off, and the Advertising power of MS will be on the level of Halo 3 launch.

Because the people that remember it those people are going to be interested.

This sounds like a fantasy but I'm trying to show you how it would play out.

Nov 11, 2017
Software

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is good news but I'm still not into destiny. I'd hope that instead of working on a Destiny 3 they create a new IP that's closer to halo in terms of being a solid single/co op shooter without a loot focus.

Something tells me that even in independence all of thier games will still be service games.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
There are bigger issues with bungie besides activison, the thread will be hilarious a few years down the line

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but was the decision to change the focus from accessibility to endgame content made VV/HM or Bungie? Not to diminish what they have done, but I sincerely doubt Bungie wasn't the main reason why D2 has completely changed focus. What I'm saying is the quality of content wasn't launch D2's problem, it was incentivizing player to continue engaging with that content more than once.
I choose to believe it was Bungie's decision but I admit I'm not too sure on that because just when they decided to focus on regular players they also decided to split from Acti. But D2 is still an Acti published game and it's still gonna have this new focus on regular players despite that so again I'm not too sure.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Wow, the sales figures recently must have been baaaaaad if they let them go early. Wonder how much money will now be missing from the bungie budget and then how the recover it by picking what publisher next?

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
That's insane on so many levels. Destiny is huge. Just imagine what Bungie can achieve with a supportive publishing partner. Though this move is also quite risky, so hopefully it'll turn out well for them.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
? Together they created one of the biggest IPs in gaming that consistently scored and sold well.

They split amicably.

I dont see any evidence of any breakdown of relations.
? Together they created one of the biggest IPs in gaming that consistently scored and sold well.

It's known MS had to sort out
They split amicably.

I dont see any evidence of any breakdown of relations.

MS and Bungie had a pretty turbulent relationship.