• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they go back to MS after they left MS in the first place? I realize there's a history there but I imagine Bungie left for a reason.

Either way, I bet MS and Sony both will be trying to add them to their first party lineup. I'd say Sony could benefit more because they have no first party FPS franchise at the moment. And I have a a feeling 343 is gonna do just fine with Halo.

SonicThrust

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Don't know if this will end up good or bad long term for them... but it certainly seems to solve the immediate concern with Activision wanting heavier monetization. That can only be a good thing, regardless of how good or bad Bungie's handling of Destiny will be in the future.

Biggest thing they lose is the deep pockets Activision could give them but that's not necessary for Bungie to make great new things. Hoping for the best from them!

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Pretty sure some of the bad choices during Destiny's development has nothing to do with Activision, like the late story rewrite, but it will be interesting to see how Destiny 3 goes.
Also maybe we can get Destiny 1 on PC already, a 60fps version would be great.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft has gotta be
tenor.gif
right now

That be an amazing way to re-energize first party confidence going into next gen
I'm willing to bet that Sony's going to be right there with MS trying as hard to court them. Bungie won't want to be owned by anyone and I think they know the damage they'll do to their brand and games were they to sign an exclusivity deal with either party so I don't seem them going that way but who knows what'll happen when you have to factor in development costs.

However, they'll probably learn from Respawn and just put their games onto as many platforms as possible.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure some of the bad choices during Destiny's development has nothing to do with Activision, like the late story rewrite, but it will be interesting to see how Destiny 3 goes.
Also maybe we can get Destiny 1 on PC already, a 60fps version would be great.
I'm worried we won't be getting PC versions of their games now. Didn't another Activision dev do most of that?

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Acti may have pushed in other areas (paid DLCs, no year long breaks like Massive got between ending Division 1 support and launching Division 2 etc) but we know for a fact that Destiny 2 was suppose to come out in 2016 but the development ran into creative issues and got rebooted around some point in late 2015/early 2016 (basically what happened with Destiny 1) and Bungie renegotiated with Activision for a new game every 3 years instead of every 2 years leading to 2017 launch for D2. They had 3 years to make a game, out of which one whole year was an extension which they asked for because they couldn't manage the project...that's hardly getting pushed by Acti.
Destiny 2 was never gonna come out completely fine after the reboot mid development, I agree on that. That said had the game given the playerbase a reason to continue after the running through the content, I think people would have been somewhat happy and not felt like jumping ship after D2's launch.

There wasn't any reason to do campaign missions after your initial run through. There wasn't any incentives to do adventures after you had out leveled them. There was no reason to engage with strikes after completing them once. Exotics were given out like candy and with no random rolls you got every good gun within a 3 weeks. Crucible would have never needed to have been gimped with weapon slot or balance changes had they had a focus on the core fans from the start.

These are design decisions that wouldn't have needed massive increase in manpower or a mid dev reboot shouldn't have affected Had D2 been focused on core players from the start. Bungie has definitely made poor decisions but if they stuck to their guns Destiny could have had significantly more goodwill.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
It would but look how many ps4's a marketing deal with Sony destiny sold in 2014. And that was multi platform. Imagine what an exclusive would do. You have to remember the Playstation brand is huge compared to xbox.

That's good to hear. Hopefully they can find the rest. Probably need another 200m.
Nah... they don't even need $100 they are fineas lon
Time for them to go to ea
EA honestly would do them 100 times better than activision ever will

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
If we're talking imaginary exclusive acquisitions, I'd like to see what kind of large-scale epic cinematice narrative we would get from a Bungie game with Sony's first party development pipeline to help out.

But Bungie is better off independent, if they can swing it.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Bungie is probably large enough to not only self publish but publish games for others. I could see them trying to join the realm of mega publishers.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
You know what I just considered, what happens to the other studios who were helping Bungie developer Destiny 2? I forgot which developer it was but one was heavily involved in making Warmind. I wonder if Bungie is gonna go it alone or continue to enlist on others for support.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
breh this shit got me imaginging Bungie like

malXTb7.gif

I am NOT SHOCKED given how Bungie has clearly decided to ignore their MTX service (Evereverse) in just about every meaningful way for the last several months. I'm sure Acti wanted them letting us have damn near infinite mtx money tilted Activision. It's been clear to me that they wanted out and were giving Activision the Jimmy Butler treatment.

i'd be very surprised if MS don't just buy them now

It's pretty clear that they're not for sale.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You know what I just considered, what happens to the other studios who were helping Bungie developer Destiny 2? I forgot which developer it was but one was heavily involved in making Warmind. I wonder if Bungie is gonna go it alone or continue to enlist on others for support.
yh, I am worried about Vicarious Visions and High Moon, they were a great help with Forsaken, Warmind and yes, even Black Armory

Last edited:

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Fucking huge news.

Bungie going with Activision still makes me scratch my head to this day.

Insane decision to make

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Wow, that's huge. Also Activision must not think highly of/be disappointed in Destiny if they let Bungie keep the IP.

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
Bungie is probably large enough to not only self publish but publish games for others. I could see them trying to join the realm of mega publishers.
Nah, they may have the man power but they don't have the money for that. Just last year NetEase invested 100 million for Bungie's new IP. If Bungie wants to make another Destiny they will need investors and most likely a publisher

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
is this good news for Bungie?...sounds like it...I wish Bioware would announce their split from EA

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really happy for Bungie but zi really wish Blizzard was splitting and keeping all their IPs. Is that even possible?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I'm worried we won't be getting PC versions of their games now. Didn't another Activision dev do most of that?
I believe it was Activision who barred Destiny 1 on PC, if that leaked contract was real, it said no D1 on PC, only D2.
I enjoyed D1 greatly on PS4, but i wouldn't mind going back to play it at 60fps, after the DLC It was a lot better than D2.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm curious: in what ways do people feel that Activision was holding Bungie back, if at all? Because as someone who played Forsaken I don't see a lot of decisions there that seem especially publisher-motivated. So if they are going to keep this same game philosophy going forward but don't have the resources of a huge publisher to back them up... I just don't know.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 2 was never gonna come out completely fine after the reboot mid development, I agree on that. That said had the game given the playerbase a reason to continue after the running through the content, I think people would have been somewhat happy and not felt like jumping ship after D2's launch.

There wasn't any reason to do campaign missions after your initial run through. There wasn't any incentives to do adventures after you had out leveled them. There was no reason to engage with strikes after completing them once. Exotics were given out like candy and with no random rolls you got every good gun within a 3 weeks. Crucible would have never needed to have been gimped with weapon slot or balance changes had they had a focus on the core fans from the start.

These are design decisions that wouldn't have needed massive increase in manpower or a mid dev reboot shouldn't have affected Had D2 been focused on core players from the start. Bungie has definitely made poor decisions but if they stuck to their guns Destiny could have had significantly more goodwill.

Yup exactly my feeling and the way my friends looked at it too. Felt like the same thing all over again and the end game gave zero incentive to keep playing. Was such a disappointment.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Good news, I thought both Destiny games had potential but ended up being terrible and uninteresting. Both games are the very definition of soulless grinds with cookie cutter characters and bland stories imo. Just a bunch of dudes roaming around in cool armor doing stuff that doesn't make much sense.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
So I mean...now that Bungie is independent, what kind of content trajectory do most players actually want to see from Destiny moving forward? Ditch D3 and just release large expansions to the existing engine for the foreseeable future?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

Yea absolutely and I do blame Bungie on that. If you remember before D2 launch Bungie was saaying how they want Destiny 2 to be a game that people pick up and play for a while and drop until next DLC, or play when they feel like, make exotics super common and also less powerful. This was obviously going to affect the regulars. Now before Forsaken they said they wanted to cater to their regular players, make exotics super rare and powerful. This dilly dallying shows a lack of focus.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
So I mean...now that Bungie is independent, what kind of content trajectory do most players actually want to see from Destiny moving forward? Ditch D3 and just release large expansions to the existing engine for the foreseeable future?

I hope they have better plans than releasing expansions for an existing title when it comes to funding a 500+ employees studio. :)