• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Omega.X

Oct 28, 2017
No reason to get too excited. Another mega corporation will sweep in and take Activision's spot. Bungie can't make games like Destiny on their own.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
So is Bungie big enough now to self-publish? Or would they still need to find a publisher? I don't want them to leave Activision just to go work with EA or Take-Two, but who else could they work with and still keep the franchise multiplatform? Bethesda? Ubisoft?

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
Anyone know if Sony's deal for exclusive and/or early Destiny content and marketing was with Bungie or with Microsoft?

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

What a day. First amazing moment of 2019

Good choice of gif

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Realistically there's only like five game companies that can produce a destiny 3. And three of them love microtransactions

No one is expecting it not to have mtx. They just expect the mtx to potentially be handled differently and most importantly the quality of the game to be better without the forced release schedules of Activision. Not to mention not having the impossible demands of shareholders looming over you is bound to improve moral which is very important when making games. It's exciting to see what will happen next tbh. I hope they have success.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was and still am fine with TTK/Forsaken level content every year and HoW level content 2-3 times in between. This is the standard other service based games like Warframe follow.

I am not really sure if the "whole new game" thing was Acti or because Bungie wanted to change engine/make fresh start. Do we know if that was mandatory or whether it was justan annual release every year?
It was in the leaked contract that there would be a full, numbered mainline game every other year through at least Destiny 4, with larger expansions (then called "comets") released in the off year. That was definitely Activision and their annual release schtick. Obviously Bungie agreed to it though, so at one point that's what they wanted as well... but after D1 I think they learned the error of their ways. By that point they were locked into the contract though.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The studio was on fire constantly when they were at Microsoft. They haven't been able to match their heyday output since development teams grew beyond 100 people. It was always a team of like 5 to 10 engineers and artists putting in the work to make Halo multiplayer incredible while the rest of the game was on fire and coming together at the last minute. Even then Halo 2 and Halo 3 multiplayer were a mess at launch. Nowadays you need at least 50 talented people to do what those 5 used to do.

If by on fie you mean they would crunch for 6 months to year and deliver an amazing product when under the gun then absolutely. That said, Destiny is way more ambitious than Halo and delivering the game fans want is impossible as you cannot please everyone.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bungie leaves a gigantic publisher because it wasn't working for either them. Garner response? Bungie go back the other gigantic publisher you already left once.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Wasn't the original deal a 10 year contract finishing in 2020-21?

By leaving now they are leaving early, and rules of business say early exit means the organisation/person exiting has to give something up. I was expecting this to be the IP itself seeing how VV and High Moon seemed ready to take over.
this is a good and reasonable take and it will be very interesting to see what information about this deal will come to light.

but maybe the short-term cost-cutting was worth it enough for Activision. Or, maybe, Bungie had to buy their freedom.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Big, sure, but they'll just be picked up by someone else. Can't celebrate because I can't see it ending in anything good really, they'll just start doing exclusive games again and someone will be pissed.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll keep an eye on D3. Still not convinced that the franchises shortcomings are solely a result of Activisions doings.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one is expecting it not to have mtx. They just expect the mtx to potentially be handled differently and most importantly the quality of the game to be better without the forced release schedules of Activision. Not to mention not having the impossible demands of shareholders looming over you is bound to improve moral which is very important when making games. It's exciting to see what will happen next tbh. I hope they have success.
The problem is at every major third-party publisher love microtransactions as much as Activision. Especially the ones that will be making destiny 3

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
If by on Fire you mean they would crunch for 6 months to year and deliver an amazing product when under the gun then absolutely. That said, Destiny is way more ambitious than Halo and delivering the game fans want is impossibl as you cannot please everyone.
Highly disagree. Destiny campaigns are similar to Halo campaigns in length with less unique content, and Destiny multiplayer is laughable compared to the undertaking that is building a Halo multiplayer suite.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
If they return to MS it would be crazy.

If Sony acquires them then it'll be even crazier .

If Nintendo does then everyone will faint lol.

On A serious note I'm guessing Destiny is going to start to suck less

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Awesome news. I really, really want to like Destiny again and now the reigns have been cut maybe it's time Bungie get back to basics and develop as brilliant conclusion to the franchise.

I still can't say I'll buy in to any of Destiny 2's DLC but at least now I'm eager to see what lies in store for it's finale.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It was in the leaked contract that there would be a full, numbered mainline game every other year through at least Destiny 4, with larger expansions (then called "comets") released in the off year. That was definitely Activision and their annual release schtick. Obviously Bungie agreed to it though, so at one point that's what they wanted as well... but after D1 I think they learned the error of their ways. By that point they were locked into the contract though.
I can't check right now but wasn't it originally every 2 years? Which Bungie managed to negotiate to every 3 years? 3 years is reasonable I think for a large studio like Bungie that can afford to have a 2nd team.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, up until now Bungie has been completely hands off and totally not at all responsible for the complete shitshows of Destiny 1/2's year 1 content. :roll:
Holy shit the guy makes one little joke throwback on current events using a beloved old raid's feed text and this is your reaction lmaoooooooooooooo

Green Marine

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
It will be interesting to see who was primarily responsible for the ATMachining of the existing product. To be honest, I don't think there is going to be a drastic change or improvement in this regard. Destiny 3 would have to be something miraculous to reverse how low my sentiment for it has sunk. But hopefully the increased freedom results in positive moves. "Hopefully" being the operative word.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
The problem is at every major third-party publisher love microtransactions as much as Activision. Especially the ones that will be making destiny 3

I specifically said that MTX aren't the problem. Mtx aren't a problem in general. Some games do them well, some don't. There isn't just one model.