• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Wow didn't think Bungie would be back on my radar so soon. Love the lore and gameplay of destiny.... Hate the way it has been monetized. Now we get to see how much of that was Activison

Agree. Love the gameplay, art design, and lore. Can't stand the annual passes and monetization model. I'm looking forward to seeing what Bungie can do free from influnece and restrictions, but I feel we won't see Bungie's true vision for the franchise until Destiny 3. Which is probably a couple years away.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Keep in mind that Bungie spent several years trying to break free from the Microsoft umbrella. Why would they willingly throw themselves back in there now?

It doesn't make sense. They're not looking for a buyout and they're not looking to be tied down to one company or one platform.
This isn't the same. Activision didn't own Bungie, Microsoft did. They'll find another major publisher, but they won't be bought out again. Remains to be seen who that will be

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Wonder who they will work for in regards to publishing and marketing now. Or are they going to self publish?

I really wouldn't be surprised if D3 shows up on Epic store the way things are going or if Tencent invests bunch of cash (and it shows up on Epic store :P).

Oct 27, 2017
Important thing to note: the press release says Bungie is going to publish Destiny themselves. They might not even need a publisher anymore.

If they really have 700 employees then at the assumed industry average of $10k per head per month that's $7 million per month to pay everyone. Even if they did get $100 million from Netease that'll only keep them afloat for just over a year, and that doesn't include costs to actually market and distribute a new release which is assuredly in the tens of millions.

I wonder if they're going to make it a digital franchise and keep adding to D2 for the foreseeable future. Heck; maybe they'll make it free to play like Warframe or Fortnight.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Yeah I don't get this attitude at all. BUNGiE was clear when announcing their deal with Activision 8 years ago that they had full creative freedom and got to own the Destiny IP. It's not shocking. It's always been in writing.

There's going to be a huge wakeup call to a lot of you when BUNGiE proves that it was they who mismanaged Destiny, not the boogie man Activision. Activision just footed the bill for all of it.

I'm sure people will blame NetEase for the next game tanking as they already have that agreement in place as well.
Something something, forced release windows

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't the same. Activision didn't own Bungie, Microsoft did. They'll find another major publisher, but they won't be bought out again. Remains to be seen who that will be

The press release says that they will retain publishing rights themselves. I think that's what they're aiming for rather than being contracted with EA or anyone else.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Keep in mind that Bungie spent several years trying to break free from the Microsoft umbrella. Why would they willingly throw themselves back in there now?

It doesn't make sense. They're not looking for a buyout and they're not looking to be tied down to one company or one platform.
Again, not saying Bungie want to be bought, which I said in the quote you replied to (also financials are a thing and if things go wrong they may not have a choice), but them not being bought by Activision when they both actively wanted to part from each other, is not proof of that, Activision does not seem to want Bungie either.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Bungie doesn't want to be bought by anyone.

Independence is what they've sought since they split with Microsoft and their contract with Activision was out of necessity for dev funds and getting their new IP off the ground.

LOL for real. They have literally just announced their independence from Activision and console warriors' first reaction is an acquisition of the studio by their preferred platform holder.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Bungie and acquisitions don't seem to have ended well. Who knows if third time's the charm, but I think they'd be very careful about entering another acquisition deal. I doubt it would happen again any time soon.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
What's that? We're also reporting that Phil Spencer just sprinted out of a meeting at Microsoft and is heading towards Bellevue, wallet extended in front of him.

32myuGc.png

Hahaha! I laughed out loud on that one buddy.

Oct 27, 2017
It really baffles me when I see that, makes zero sense

Naw, it makes -1 sense. But so did Bungie signing w/ Activision after they just decimated Infinity Ward. Bungie has no entity to blame but their leadership team for the last few years. But they did make A LOT of money soooo........
They crow about independence but always flow towards the deep pockets. let's see where they end up now.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Bungie has mis-stepped plenty on their own, but Activision and most other publicly traded publishers are a fucking cancer to society and videogames in general.

Good for Bungie.

Blizzard, hopefully you've got something planned to avoid Activision choking you to death.

Oct 25, 2017
This feels like a borderline drive-by post.

Control of the Destiny IP has been with Bungie since the beginning.

Yeah this isn't as crazy as people are making it sound. The contract was even for ten years and now were are in year 9 since it was supposably signed in 2010. So a split was going to happen soon. They just announced it a little earlier than I thought they would.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
User banned (3 days): trolling + previously warned for similar behaviour.
Also.

I'm now here exclusively to see the upset posts of people getting annoyed by the "studio acquisition" posts.

vgqH2ij.gif

Feed me, Era.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Fool me one time shame on you
Fool me twice, can't put the blame on you
Fool me three times, f*ck the peace signs
Load the chopper, let it rain on you

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
What does this do for Activision. They've got Blizzard, Call of Duty, and outside of that I feel like they weren't doing very much.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't get this attitude at all. BUNGiE was clear when announcing their deal with Activision 8 years ago that they had full creative freedom and got to own the Destiny IP. It's not shocking. It's always been in writing.

There's going to be a huge wakeup call to a lot of you when BUNGiE proves that it was they who mismanaged Destiny, not the boogie man Activision. Activision just footed the bill for all of it.

I'm sure people will blame NetEase for the next game tanking as they already have that agreement in place as well.
Hahahahahahahahahhaha you believe that? No studio beholden to a publisher has "full creative freedom", that's PR speak. Anyone who has worked a day in this industry knows there are VERY few studios with TRUE creative freedom -- one of the few is Valve.

Seriously, wow.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Lots of highs and lots of lows with my last year of Destiny 2 (was only able to start playing when it came to PC), but this news immediately has me excited for the potential for the future of the franchise. I really hope Bungie can make the game more design focused and make less concessions to try and appease some suits.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I fell off of Destiny 1 after the base game.

Forsaken got me back in. I played 80 hours straight of all the content in those games (Destiny 2, Expansion 1, Expansion 2, Forsaken) and I absolutely loved it. even someone who hates PVP like me enjoyed Gambit.

Seeing Activision not like Forsaken's numbers but fans loving Forsaken shows the split between the dev and pub. I'm glad this happened but I hope it doesn't lead to financial trouble for Bungie.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
How the hell is Bungie going to support Destiny on their own when they couldn't even do it with all the Activision support studios? Curse of Osiris was trash, but it was better for the game than a giant empty spot there.

Given Bungie's track record, D3 should be getting rebooted around now, so I guess they'll have full flexibility to do whatever they want with it. Curious to see how all this turns out.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
You know what Guys/gals Glen Schofield from Activision left last month to take a break and pursue his own stuff, it would be cool to have him work on a project with bungie.