• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Nice to see. If Bungie were to be muzzled it would be a huge shame. One of the few games companies to repeatedly speak out for social causes and have consistent year-round fundraisers for a range of positive things.

QBizM

Oct 25, 2017
I have been under a rock for bit.

What did sony and Jim do?

They can't decide whether women deserve to have control over their own bodies or not.
Jim wrote an email to Sony staff asking that the views of the other side be respected. Then he spoke at length about his cats birthdays, after saying he wants a dog because they do as they are told *wink wink*

Insomniac then wanted to make a donation to a pro-choice charity. Sony said they would match it, but they were not allowed to publicise it.

The latest is it now seems Sony has, in the past, donated to less than reputable causes.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jim wrote an email to Sony staff asking that the views of the other side be respected. Then he spoke at length about his cats birthdays, after saying he wants a dog because they do as they are told *wink wink*

Insomniac then wanted to make a donation to a pro-choice charity. Sony said they would match it, but they were not allowed to publicise it.

The latest is it now seems Sony has, in the past, donated to less than reputable causes.
You're missing some details.
  • Sony apparently matches all donations by any employee to charitable organizations, as company policy. So Sony wasn't going out of their way to match Insomniac, nor did they go out of their way to donate to less reputable causes in the past.
  • As per Insomniac CEO Ted Price, Sony has muzzled all of their studios and are not allowing them to take a stance or speak publicly on reproductive rights

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Glad to hear it, keeping in mind that the sale hasn't actually closed yet. Interesting dynamic when the studio you haven't finished acquiring is not so subtly calling you out and saying they aren't going to follow orders.

Trey2Deebo

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2022
I still can't believe how dumb Jim Ryan is. Like this ain't even a controversial issue to feel you have to give a "both sides" take. A vast majority of people are pro choice. Even in shitty ass America, 70% are pro choice. Like wtf are you doing dude. This is the easiest issue to get right. Mind boggling how a billions upon billions dollar corporation could be led by such a complete moron.

TheSantry

Dec 25, 2017
Bungie and Insomniac have the right idea standing behind a woman's right to choose and Jimbo and Sony need to follow suit. The entire Bungie acquisition could go belly up if this is not addressed by Sony properly.

RumHam

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
Jim Ryan has the face of a drunk, so no surprise he makes decisions like one.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Is the deal too far along for Bungie to break away from Sony's oppressive leadership?

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I still can't believe how dumb Jim Ryan is. Like this ain't even a controversial issue to feel you have to give a "both sides" take. A vast majority of people are pro choice. Even in shitty ass America, 70% are pro choice. Like wtf are you doing dude. This is the easiest issue to get right. Mind boggling how a billions upon billions dollar corporation could be led by such a complete moron.
49% pro choice / 47% pro life.
There is a sizable amount of the population that is fine with Roe v Wade but are otherwise pro life (cognitive dissonance likely being it's law so why change what is currently working).

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
Every Sony developer should stand up, they can't fire them all. Especially if it's some high profile employees.

Sony would look even worse if they reacted poorly.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I can't imagine anyone keeping their job for long after all the bad press that Jim has generated. Surely he's on his way out?

Oct 29, 2017
While Jim is a shit heel I can only assume this is bigger than him. I'd be happy to see him canned but it goes higher up than him and is not just Playstation.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I'm curious if this ends up actually being built into the Bungie deal. Bungie MAY ACTUALLY have some level of autonomy from Sony, with the way that Sony is allowing Bungie to retain its own board and stuff. But.. I also share some skepticism that there is literally no muzzle for Bungie. If there really is that big of a substantive difference between what Insomniac has (where Ted Price says that in some cases, like this one, SIE wins flat out) and Bungie, that will be interesting. And I think underscores how good of a deal Bungie was offered.

Either way, very good to see them stick to their guns, in the face of Gamers revolting. Even if they're not part of Sony.. so.. of course there's no muzzle right now.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
all this and you could've decided to just not send that email.

now you virtually have no choice but to make an explicit stand

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
all this and you could've decided to just not send that email.

now you virtually have no choice but to make an explicit stand
Unfortunately this has still not garnered much traction around the internet. Next to nothing in news articles, Twitter responses, etc... The vast majority of the conversation around it is being had here, from what I can tell.

My guess is Sony, like always, is just going to attempt to stay silent on this and hope it blows over.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
User banned (2 weeks): Inappropriate commentary about a sensitive subject
huh? not sure what you're saying here. i don't think companies should match donations to anti-abortion charities. that's my position.
Exactly... that's your position. What if you are of the anti-abortion crowd. Clearly, they exist. Hell there are even countries where there are country-wide laws against stuff like that.

My position is that I have no qualms with a company matching donations to any common-law charity. It's just all-around better for companies t to be neutral, especially when you consider that they would usually have people on either side of the fence working for them. Or should we also say, if take for instance you are anti-abortion, based on your faith, the company shouldn't even employ you?

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly... that's your position. What if you are of the anti-abortion crowd. Clearly, they exist. Hell there are even countries where there are country-wide laws against stuff like that.

My position is that I have no qualms with a company matching donations to any common-law charity. It's just all-around better for companies t to be neutral, especially when you consider that they would usually have people on either side of the fence working for them. Or should we also say, if take for instance you are anti-abortion, based on your faith, the company shouldn't even employ you?

If you're on the side of being against women's rights, at the very least I'd expect you to shut the fuck up and not bring your bigotry to work with you.

You're not really being neutral if you're equally empowering positive and negative change.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
Exactly... that's your position. What if you are of the anti-abortion crowd. Clearly, they exist.

if you're "of the anti-abortion crowd" then you're a piece of shit and your employers shouldn't enable your rancid anti female ideology, pretty simple.

why are you worried about the feelings of people who want to strip women of their reproductive rights..?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
If you're on the side of being against women's rights, at the very least I'd expect you to shut the fuck up and not bring your bigotry to work with you.

You're not really being neutral if you're equally empowering positive and negative change.
agreed. on the shutting up art and even telling staff to not publicize shit.

I am just talking about matching donations here. And as far as that is concerned, being neutral means that you are just supporting whatever charities your workers support. As long as they are common law.... that is law has been passed in recognition of it. The second you pick one side over the other, at least with your support, you re no longer neutral.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
if you're of then anti-abortion crowd then you're a piece of shit and your employers shouldn't enable your rancid anti female ideology, pretty simple.
again... I am talking about the donations.

I think I was clear in my post about where i stand on ihm saying whatever the fuck he said and telling staff not to publicize their position.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
I am just talking about matching donations here. And as far as that is concerned, being neutral means that you are just supporting whatever charities your workers support. As long as they are common law.... that is law has been passed in recognition of it. The second you pick one side over the other, at least with your support, you re no longer neutral.

why the fixation on neutrality? why can't we hope/want that companies choose to be good instead of neutral?

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Zeus, and out come the maleficent demagogues. It's like clockwork right?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
why the fixation on neutrality? why can't we hope/want that companies choose to be good instead of neutral?
Simple really.

"good" as we see it here is in truth subjective. From person to person and even country to country. Some countries have 100%restrictions, some have partial restrictions. Some even have it as a requirement. Eg, Great Britain amongst others has it restricted unless under certain circumstances.

It's naive of anyone to look at the entire world as plainly black or white. And companies have no business doing that. I would have an issue with a company that takes a solid stance on these kinda issues. Because that stance can be for or against. I rather they remain neutral and support whatever causes their workers choose to pursue.

There are a lot of things I hope for. But I also know that's just not how things work.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City

There is always a disconnect, when people hear about FOX News and the like is "well, they a shit, abhorrent company" as its natural state and give them somewhat of a pass in their shit views because that's how they are, but a "good" company should be neutral, and they will always push against good action from companies because they must be neutral at all cost, no matter what. Centrists are complicit to the right and they are oblivious to it.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
If these numbers are true, this shit's depressing
news.gallup.com

'Pro-Choice' or 'Pro-Life' Demographic Table

Americans' identification as "pro-choice" or "pro-life" on abortion is provided here in tabular form, with breakouts by key population subgroups.

Lydia Saad from Gallup noted why unlike many other social issues, attitudes regarding abortion haven't really changed nor are they likely to, which is going to keep it as a very divided issue (and why companies for the most part are hesitant to weigh in on it).

Lydia Saad 04:36
And the reason people are so divided, and the reason I believe this issue hasn't changed, attitudes haven't changed over time is all those other issues that we talked about that evolutionary change, there is a clear battle between one group that's on the vanguard of society, championing another person's rights -- another group of people's rights -- and maybe a reactionary groups standing against those rights. But with abortion, you have two groups, each focused on different humans' rights. The pro-choice side is focused on the woman's rights, and the pro-life side is focused on the rights of the fetus or the unborn child. And so, with those other movements, you have people pushing against a wall of opposition to someone's rights.

Lydia Saad 05:22
But here you have two people pushing against different walls. You have two groups just talking completely past each other about completely different issues. They're fighting over different things. And if you look at the pictures of abortion protests, you have one group of people holding up signs fighting for women's most, you know, personal and momentous healthcare rights, right? And the other side is fighting against what they believe to be murder. And you're just not going to get a lot of crossover there. It's, these are worldviews that are just somehow baked into people's psyche, and they, these differences have persisted over time. So that's why attitudes haven't changed on this issue the way they have with other issues, and why it is so contentious
news.gallup.com

Americans' Steady -- and Deeply Divided -- Views on Abortion

Lydia Saad, Gallup's director of U.S. social research, joins the podcast to discuss Americans' persisting division on the issue of abortion.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Fuck yeah, Bungie!

It seems clear that Bungie/Sony are not a "fit" when it comes to culture. I wish Bungie would be able to change things up, but I'm not optimistic about this. In the end of the day, money talks.