• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny studio also doubling size of Bellevue HQ, adding two board members, planning multiple teams and new IP
Bungie today announced a series of expansion plans including the establishment of its first international office.

The new office will open next year in Amsterdam, and will house the studio's publishing and marketing divisions.

Bungie has been developing that side of its business since 2019, when it ended its partnership with Activision and took over publishing and marketing for the Destiny franchise on its own.

The company is growing at home as well, as last month it began construction on an expansion to its Bellevue, Washington headquarters. Set for completion in the fall of 2022, the expansion will more than double the studio's main operations from 84,000 square feet to 208,000 square feet.

The revamped space will "support multiple project teams, including those outside of the Destiny Universe." Bungie also said it is being designed with consideration for the company's expected mix of remote working and on-site developers.

As for that push beyond the Destiny universe, Bungie plans to launch one new IP to market before 2025.

Finally, Bungie has added two new names -- Trace Harris and Pamela Kaufman -- to its board of directors.

Harris was previously senior vice president of strategy, finance and business innovation for Vivendi, while Kaufman currently serves as ViacomCBS' president of global consumer products.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Bungie opening Amsterdam publishing office

Bungie today announced a series of expansion plans including the establishment of its first international office.The ne…

Last edited:

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I guess they got another massive investement after the first $100 million from Netease.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm happy for the hardworking folks at Bungie. I hope this means they *will* increase support for Destiny while also ramping up for their next big IP. They said they would hire more devs for Destiny weapons team but maybe they will go beyond that so future Destiny expansions and seasons aren't so thin.

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is a good thing. I'm always a bit worried about Bungie's business situation. It feels like Destiny is very popular but also very expensive to run. I've always wondered how that balances out.

Oct 29, 2017
I've always liked Bungie, though when a lot of the OG Halo folks left years back I definitely worried for them as a company. Still, I really enjoy Destiny and wish nothing but the best for the team there. I hope with an expanded operation they can continue to increase support for Destiny because it would be a shame for them drop it in favor of their next IP. Destiny has a huge fanbase, and the support for the game has felt thin for a little while now. Hoping this is good news all around!

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
The full press release, they want to do Multi media stuff:
EuhMBFRXAAEw7r3

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Love to get the deets about the square footage of office spaces.

(kidding)

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
They are one of the best, if not the best, developer at fps gunplay feeling good. Love Destiny and Halo. So bring it on the new IP.

SanderJK

Oct 31, 2017
The Amsterdam office is for marketing & publishing. That makes me wonder if Destiny 2 does better in the EU than the USA. Being in the EU would give a lot better access to multilingual/cultural employees if you want to focus on the EU market.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
Both Destiny and Destiny 2 were a big letdown. Unless they can create something fresh or compelling I don't see how expanding is the right move.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I have to be honest. When bungie broke off from Activision, I thought they will either collaspe under their own weight or be bough out by a bigger company to save themselves. That they are seemingly thriving without the backing of a large conglomerate is impressive.

Ballou

Apr 2, 2020
Expanding Destiny into other media sounds awesome. There are some really great stories to tell.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Sounds really good! I hope that Bungie can maintain a balance between their new IP and Destiny, though. Destiny 2 feels like it's being run by a small crew.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 doing a lot better than I expected, but kinda not surprised. I don't play it at all anymore but I see people on my friends list playing it every night.

I hope they are doing something really crazy and new, I am pretty tired of GAAS games with 3 month battlepasses. I've hopped off that train and no desire to get back on.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
How successful can Destiny be in multimedia stuff? I feel like the story/lore of Destiny is easily the weakest part of the IP/games

Oct 29, 2017
How successful can Destiny be in multimedia stuff? I feel like the story/lore of Destiny is easily the weakest part of the IP/games

The lore is actually a huge strong point in the series, but it's not showcased at the forefront so it gets lost a lot of the time unless you dig for it. So in that sense it's a weakness, but if they were to bring all of that great world building and lore to the forefront then it would be very, very good. So some kind of mini series detailing some of the more popular storylines, legends, lore bits, histories, etc of the Destiny universe would be really cool.

There are 3 really great lorebooks you can actually buy that include great illustrations too. There's good stuff in there, so I hope they shine light upon it.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Eververse as much as people say its terrible has really helped Bungie become self sufficient.

The last exotic mission for destiny 2 was absolutely incredible from a storytelling/atmosphere standpoint. This season is probably the best in years and the game is just in a fantastic place right now.

Good for them!

Capricorn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shame that they aren't opening a development studio in the EU as well, I would apply in a heartbeat if I had the chance!

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
that's a real big increase in HQ size, my gosh.

hope they do a new IP very different from shooter sometime in the future :)

h3ro

Oct 28, 2017
This thread is littered with people that haven't touched a Bungie game in years.

Keep your "let down" takes to yourself, Destiny is FANTASTIC right now. That game is running on all cylinders and Bungie just put out some of the BEST content they've ever made with this season.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
The Amsterdam office is for marketing & publishing. That makes me wonder if Destiny 2 does better in the EU than the USA. Being in the EU would give a lot better access to multilingual/cultural employees if you want to focus on the EU market.
As a Dutch tax economist, I would say it's mainly for tax reasons and the reasons you mentioned in your post. Bungie either has a construction with hybrid mismatches between tax regimes or is going to create one with the office in Amsterdam.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
200,000 square feet is absolutely MASSIVE! The building I work in is 100,000 square feet, crazy to consider a building twice the size for a single game developer.