• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Do they not have AC in their offices? Before y'all say AC aren't climate-friendly, I know, but you'd think they would at least use it to prevent their laptops from shutting down from all that heat.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised they haven't heard of AC!

EDIT: I did not expect my joke post to immediately follow a real AC post.

Sep 7, 2020
Climate change is real. It will impact much more than the gaming industry.

Edit: I am pretty sure they can afford AC but its still likely ridiculously hot.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
Do they not have AC in their offices? Before y'all say AC aren't climate-friendly, I know, but you'd think they would at least use it to prevent their laptops from shutting down from all that heat.

I dont think most AC systems are capable of cooling down 200+ people from temperatures like this

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Idk but a laptop shouldnt lock itself up from ambient temperature unless it already had heat problems in the first place.

May 14, 2021
Don't care that AC isn't climate friendly. If it hits 100+ degrees, you turn it on. Maybe they just don't have AC in the building, or they do and it just isn't very capable like they have in the South.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised they haven't heard of AC!
Many folks in the PNW are still working from home and a lot of places in that area don't have AC because this time of year is usually 70 not 110. It takes a really powerful system to deal with those temps. You'll live if they take a few days off to deal with mortal danger temperatures.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
yeah im shutting down development on my life

mid-to-high 30s in alberta? what is this..... some.... hot.... place? I am dying

can't imagine what it's like in washington

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think most AC systems are capable of cooling down 200+ people from temperatures like this

People live and work in hotter climates. Most commercial building can manage to cool office spaces down to a reasonable temperature, although probably not a meat locker cold as most offices in America. They are probably still WFH where this is a real issue.

BDrummer1606

Oct 27, 2017
Seems crazy to me living in Houston that the heat will just shut things down. If it gets over 100 here, it's business as usual. It's also probably due to AC is literally in every building.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Can't say I've even known stuff to shutdown from temps like that and they're not that abnormal here in summer. Good on them though.

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
This sucks, I have worked from a shitty office at the peak of a heat wave and that is not fun.

But I hope they go full in with this and for example this week's TWAB (Bungie's D2 weekly news blog post) will be written on tissue paper and then photographed using a phone.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Good, couldn't imagine working in that heat. Hope Bungie doesn't feel too pressured to take more days off due to the heat if needed.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Thats why I said most?

People in Seattle arent usually expecting Texas temps.

Thats what...climate change is.

Yeah, your local infrastructure is usually centred around expected climate. Scandinavian countries are used to a shed load of snow and cold conditions and can run pretty much as normal - a few years back when the UK got hit by a fierce cold wave, the country effectively shut down for a month as there was no infrastructure in place to deal with it.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
We told you climate change was already happening and going strong and not something which will happen sometime into the future where we'd have figured out some techno-magical solution to counter it 🤷‍♀️

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So how do AC systems work in Texas where these temps are the regular.

Remember when it snowed heavily in Texas a few months ago, it cause a lot of damage, people died, and there were a lot of closers, because such high levels of snow are not the norm in the region

Everything falls apart when regions do not have the infrastructure deal with something that is not the norm.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It will never not amaze me that people will come in to threads like this and be like "AC exists, look at Texas" when just a few months ago Texas froze and shit fell apart, quite literally.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
It will never not amaze me that people will come in to threads like this and be like "AC exists, look at Texas" when just a few months ago Texas froze and shit fell apart, quite literally.
It was the same shit in the Texas threads just the opposite.

People chiming in on something they don't know, like how I didn't know AC didn't exist in Seattle.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Ugh here we go again with all the A/C comments. Seattle is normally cold enough that most places here don't have A/C. It was like 50 degrees not even two weeks ago. Summer temps are usually in the 70s. I'm fortunate enough to have A/C in my apartment, but it's not common.

turbobutts

Oct 25, 2017

R-410a refrigerant is fine for the most part. R-22 (older kind of refrigerant that has been being phased out since like the 90's) is the bad one.

There's a new refrigerant being developed also that I assume is more efficient and also ozone friendly, but that's still a few years away iirc.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I bet ACs are all sold out in that region. Cannot even imagine how they're surviving. Hope they have basements.

Barrakketh

Sep 1, 2020
Ugh here we go again with all the A/C comments. Seattle is normally cold enough that most places here don't have A/C. It was like 50 degrees not even two weeks ago. Summer temps are usually in the 70s. I'm fortunate enough to have A/C in my apartment, but it's not common.
I can't speak for apartments since that would be up to building management, but heat pumps seem like a perfect option for Seattle's climate. They can provide A/C or heat, and Google suggests that the winter temps are also pretty mild up there.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
I remember having two big AC units cooling down the previous office of about 50 people I was working at and sometimes it felt like they weren't turned on at all because of the heat.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
ACs work
That is how the entire state of Florida functions in the summer
Ive worked in offices with hundred to thousands of people and they are all able to keep the temperature in the 70s when it is 100 outside

Obviously that is not something that can be implemented in an office building in the short term, but these companies should probably get on it since global warming isn't stopping anytime soon

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
I guess I'm in a remodeled condo from the early 1900's (historic building) and it's pretty cold in here when I turn it up. I think it just might be time to invest in better AC.

Homes and buildings back then were built differently. They were made pretty solid to keep things out and in. Outer layer was made to keep things away from inner layer and vise-versa. They were usually built thick using porous materials and finished with breathable paints or finishes. The walls absorb the heat during the day and transfer it very slowly to the interior. This helps keep the interior cool during the day and warmer in the evening as the heat works its way through the walls.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of people don't realize that in most moderate climate locations many people just don't have an ac unit or central ac. If historically the weather never gets over 70-75 you really don't need one. However climate change is causing massive fluctuations and we are only going to see more of it. Just because I live in the south and am use to heat like this and have a house designed for it doesn't mean the rest of the country does.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
ACs work
Ive worked in offices with hundred to thousands of people and they are all able to keep the temperature in the 70s when it is 100 outside

Obviously that is not something that can be implemented in an office building in the short term, but these companies should probably get on it since global warming isn't stopping anytime soon
Everyone is still working from home here. Most offices have ACs already but homes dont.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Sucks but understandable. Our city practically shuts down if we get 1 inch of snow that sticks so getting weather your region and people aren't used to and prepared for can really mess things up

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Idk but a laptop shouldnt lock itself up from ambient temperature unless it already had heat problems in the first place.

The problem is a lot of components start to need active cooling when the ambient goes north of 40C. The VRM hardware probably gets limited airflow cooled only by an incidental amount of airflow. Resistance increases with heat so those things when you're at 40C both already have less delta between ambient and the rated maximum of the part and put out more heat at the same power. Wouldn't be surprised that the VRMs hit 120C and all hell breaks loose trying to keep voltage steady.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Time to send sulfate aerosols into the stratosphere, and ramp up plant based food production in a greenhouse setting to offset the crop reduction from the lack of sunlight, and start prosecuting companies that aren't actively moving to carbon natural.

Otherwise we're fucked.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Ok, it's time to sunset the sun for real.

I just think it's ironic this happened during the season they decided to sunset the sun.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Can't say I've even known stuff to shutdown from temps like that and they're not that abnormal here in summer. Good on them though.
I live in a hot country - If it's 40+ outside (I don't know F but google tells me 110 is about 43c), and I'm in a poorly ventilated space or the device is already hot from whatever it's down, phones and laptops will absolutely shutdown.

I assume they're not just idling their PC when trying to work. In order to make games you, quite often, have to run the game you're working on, or work with demanding software. I have unity and like 50+ tabs of Chrome open on my computer at basically all time.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
ACs work

Everyone is working from home, and PNW homes don't typically have AC.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Also, there's this weird assumption in this thread that they're talking about Bungie offices. I don't work for Bungie, but I would be very surprised if they're back in the office. Most big companies around here like Amazon, Microsoft, Expedia and Starbucks are still mostly working from home AFAIK.

Baru

Oct 27, 2017
Bungie is still WFH.

Their office has AC, and during past heatwaves (that were nowhere near as bad as this one) they have invited families into the office to cool off. That doesn't help though when no one can come into the office, and as has been stated most people don't have AC in their homes.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I kind of forget some states don't use AC on a daily basis and only turn them on a few days in the year. We use AC down here like everyday at all hours lol.