• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Glad someone finally found a use for Stadia.
Come on mods.

This was platform warring? It would've been fine to say you don't like us mocking platforms without purpose but you can't call mocking Stadia platform warring.

When it takes the corona virus for 3rd parties to show positive feelings towards Stadia what type of responses do you expect?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks to everyone sticking up for me, but I think it's for the best if we just move on now.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Play testing Destiny 2, yea ok.

Maybe they'll discover how broken most of the game is in pvp during these sessions since they haven't figured it out in the studio.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
It's fascinating to see the anger of being warned about a post that is to the detriment of the topic posted.

The right to shit on Stadia is believed to be so prevalent that the mods are questioned about it.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
...While networks across the world are limiting bandwidth to let people use the internet for work and school without hindrance?

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
So do you maintain your own hardware facilities because of this concern? Also what is the difference in risk for a massive company like EA with a lot of employees when comparing deployment on self-owned premises vs premises managed by a 3rd party provider? Just trying to understand the trust dynamics at play.

Funny enough, it usually is most likely that the users (devs) of said third party services that increase the risk, not the services themselves. People may forget to log out of some place, or leave something up and running for others to see, or use their personal accounts for some activities. Could be so many things. :D

I'm sure Stadia as a platform is perfectly trustworthy. Are the fairly new users that would have to switch to using it for confidential work trustworthy though? Not necesarely because of malicious reasons, but mistakes happen.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Website looks like I either need to buy it or have an invite code? I'm looking casually, it looks like I'd need to buy their hardware to use it?

You definitely do not need to buy any hardware, but the service is weirdly hard to access. Best bet is to get a buddy code somewhere. Nice people in the Stadia OT occasionally hand them out.

Google really needs to launch the free version yesterday.

The biggest annoyance (other than dire lack of games) is that if you don't have the stadia controller you have to use a wired controller on your device.

Are you sure? I use a wireless Xbox controller with my phone.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
You definitely do not need to buy any hardware, but the service is weirdly hard to access. Best bet is to get a buddy code somewhere. Nice people in the Stadia OT occasionally hand them out.

Google really needs to launch the free version yesterday.

Are you sure? I use a wireless Xbox controller with my phone.
Yeah they are dragging their ass on rolling this out.

I also can confirm it works with a wireless Xbox controller on my S9. Ipurchased just for Stadia,GFN and xCloud as I don't own an xb1

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
This would explain all the bugginess elsewhere then. Destiny 2 is rough right now, error codes, latency in PVE... good shit.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Come on mods.

This was platform warring? It would've been fine to say you don't like us mocking platforms without purpose but you can't call mocking Stadia platform warring.

When it takes the corona virus for 3rd parties to show positive feelings towards Stadia what type of responses do you expect?

Gwen Frey, indie developer behind Kine.

"It's the best of PC and the best of console. One specific set of hardware, but it's not limited by a specific box. Consoles are a pain in the ass."

Raúl Rubio Munárriz, Creative Director at Tequila Works

"You used to have to allocate resources to AI and physics and that's no longer the case. It's like finding yourself suddenly with no body. Power isn't relevant any more. For developers, that's really good."

David Canela, Project Lead on GYLT.

"It's rare that development goes to 30 or 60fps throughout development, but we had a high framerate for most of it.

The fact you're only streaming video from servers, lag for online games is reduced a lot. They have the machines, they're connected and they are very fast. That's a meaningful change for the future."

https://wccftech.com/google-stadia-is-the-best-of-pc-and-the-best-of-console-says-developer/

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Gwen Frey, indie developer behind Kine.

"It's the best of PC and the best of console. One specific set of hardware, but it's not limited by a specific box. Consoles are a pain in the ass."

Raúl Rubio Munárriz, Creative Director at Tequila Works

"You used to have to allocate resources to AI and physics and that's no longer the case. It's like finding yourself suddenly with no body. Power isn't relevant any more. For developers, that's really good."

David Canela, Project Lead on GYLT.

"It's rare that development goes to 30 or 60fps throughout development, but we had a high framerate for most of it.

The fact you're only streaming video from servers, lag for online games is reduced a lot. They have the machines, they're connected and they are very fast. That's a meaningful change for the future."

https://wccftech.com/google-stadia-is-the-best-of-pc-and-the-best-of-console-says-developer/
I remember those quotes from last year.

Too many Devs hype up a lot of new tech at launch whether it is the latest revision of directx or AMD's efforts like mantle or physx. The praise given months later matters more.

The lack of support from 3rd parties was firmly established by February.

You've been banned for this? Omg
He wasn't. Who knows what happened in another thread.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
This would only apply to games being developed for Stadia (or otherwise have some sort of functioning Linux version), right? It doesn't say anything about Google expanding Stadia's web-deployment service to support other machines.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I remember those quotes from last year.

Too many Devs hype up a lot of new tech at launch whether it is the latest revision of directx or AMD's efforts like mantle or physx. The praise given months later matters more.

The lack of support from 3rd parties was firmly established by February.

This has nothing to do with hyping new tech for the sake of being new tech. They are describing what are the benefits for them as developers. The lack of 3rd party support is also something separate from the benefits a developer might share once they start working on the platform. You are mixing a bunch of things that relate to Stadia's business model and bad initial reception. All of these things are factors that developers must consider in order to release a game on this platform, but it has nothing to do and it does not negate the quotes I shared from developers sharing what they consider benefits to them on regards to developing a game on Stadia. They were true before and they are still true now for them.

Last edited:

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
This would only apply to games being developed for Stadia (or otherwise have some sort of functioning Linux version), right? It doesn't say anything about Google expanding Stadia's web-deployment service to support other machines.

This works for games that are being developed on Stadia. Say for example Bungie is making Destiny 3 for Stadia, PC and consoles. They are describing this as a good solution to easily enable instances to play test the game, when you don't have access to a physical computer.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
This works for games that are being developed on Stadia. Say for example Bungie is making Destiny 3 for Stadia, PC and consoles. They are describing this as a good solution to easily enable instances to play test the game, when you don't have access to a physical computer.
Yeah, that's what I thought. In other words, not really applicable to most studios. Nvidia would be better suited to setting up a system for devs; I wonder if they're thinking about/working on that? It'd be pretty funny to see a bunch of companies that pitched a hissy fit about Nvidia Now come crawling back to them for development purposes.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I would love to hear how they do playtests and what challenges they run into. Perhaps we could do some knowledge sharing. :)

We do them every day in a 64p game, and things actually run fairly smoothly. Just now we finished a playtest with 60p all working from home.

I missed sharing this with you. Some extra info on the video below.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Yeah, that's what I thought. In other words, not really applicable to most studios. Nvidia would be better suited to setting up a system for devs; I wonder if they're thinking about/working on that? It'd be pretty funny to see a bunch of companies that pitched a hissy fit about Nvidia Now come crawling back to them for development purposes.

Maybe not applicable for current projects, but it seems like a no-brainer in many regards for future projects for small-mid size developers, if not large devs like EA/Dice. You're expanding the audience of your games (on two levels, 'nix + Stadia, three if you also count Vulkan as a separate requirement) while having the ability to use this infrastructure. Nvidia could do it, but they're a graphics card company, not a PaaS company.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

They might do it, but if you are already convinced that cloud gaming is good enough to play test your games there and pay for this service, then you are pretty close to releasing your game on Stadia or another cloud gaming service. You can check the postmortem video I shared, so you can see how during development they can immediately share a new build of the game with everyone that has access to the service and it can be immediately play tested after that.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Another funny post which is getting negative reception from mods :/
Sheesh. No fun allowed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not a fan of Stadia, but these threads devolve into shit post after shit post and hot take after hot take with literally zero discussion of what the OP actually entails. This is a gaming forum and Stadia is a gaming platform and people shouldn't have to worry about making threads regarding it because they're afraid it'll devolve into a neverending hot take thread.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of Stadia, but these threads devolve into shit post after shit post and hot take after hot take with literally zero discussion of what the OP actually entails. This is a gaming forum and Stadia is a gaming platform and people shouldn't have to worry about making threads regarding it because they're afraid it'll devolve into a neverending hot take thread.
And that is a real problem, discussion of a gaming medium is for all intents and purposes suppressed on a gaming forum.

Personally I love the tech behind Stadia (I think it is far superior to xCloud or GFN), not Google's approach at the moment. But even with that, the vitriol is not proportionate.

People should be allowed to talk about any gaming related topic they want. This actual thread was created fully knowing how it would devolve into yet another shitfest beforehand.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I agree with you but if that is indeed the case, I think "drive-by derail/trolling" would be more apt rather than platform warring. Labeling it as the latter just fuels the discussion with even more derail.

At the end of the day, I think it's a fairly harmless joke but if there's a precedent for these jokes to completely derail a thread I can see why they should be actioned.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
With so much people on the internet Im wondering how good the experience would be.
Maybe anyone could share their experience?
youtu.be

Shadow of the Tomb Raider on Stadia

Testing the performance on Shadow of the Tomb Raider on Stadia during the COVID-19 outbreak. Minor framerate hiccups but still alright.
Not the best video but it's from last night, it should be seen as relatively smooth with a minor fps dip here and there unless Youtube can't handle the load right now. It's definitely alright here in Sweden at least.
The net is getting hammered now but I think there is a bigger problem to handle a bigger load on the actual Stadia servers. Geforce Now is alright here as well but I get more frequent drops which I guess could be a result of being a more popular platform.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Another example of using Stadia for game development at home.

Guillemot was also asked to comment on Google Stadia. He explained that "things are moving" with more and more games available on Stadia, and they're "doing well."
Ubisoft is also using Stadia for internal development as it allows developers who work from home to review their games.
He then offered a cautiously optimistic outlook for cloud gaming.

"Cloud is coming. It's coming at a normal speed I would say, but it's getting better and better. We think at the end of the year you will see some evolution on the number of players and also on the brands that will be launched there. It's a good long-term trend that will change the industry, we think."

twinfinite.net

Ubisoft Discusses Potential Delays, 3-4 AAA Games in FY 2022; Games on Google Stadia "Doing Well"

During Ubisoft’s financial conference call CEO Yves Guillemot and CFO Frédérick Duguet talked about a couple of interesting topics.

Last edited: