• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
SwampBastard

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
This is literally taunting people to make fun of Stadia.
No wonder it's gonna get derail on the quality (or lack) of Stadia and its perception.
I've seen little evidence that the people shitposting in Stadia threads bother to read anything in the OP. Take the first reply in this thread, for instance. It was posted within a minute of me posting the thread. Do you think they bothered to read the article, or do you think they (and others) rushed in to parrot the typical anti-Stadia "jokes"?

I have posted a few different Stadia threads knowing how they're going to turn out, but I do it because there are a small handful of us here who enjoy and are excited about the platform and I want those people to have an opportunity to read stuff like this.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I was thinking maybe this is what it should actually be used for lol
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Google could market Stadia to developers as a superior means of developing games for quick deployment of builds while also creating a path for publishing on other platforms (in addition to Stadia). Honestly, between this and maybe just partnering with a company like Valve to ensure that your purchases won't vanish if Stadia ever goes belly-up, I think Stadia could be a valuable service. Currently, I have no real interest in it, though.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen little evidence that the people shitposting in Stadia threads bother to read anything in the OP. Take the first reply in this thread, for instance. It was posted within a minute of me posting the thread. Do you think they bothered to read the article, or do you think they (and others) rushed in to parrot the typical anti-Stadia "jokes"?

I have posted a few different Stadia threads knowing how they're going to turn out, but I do it because there are a small handful of us here who enjoy and are excited about the platform and I want those people to have an opportunity to read stuff like this.
Alright famous last words I had said I bowed out of this thread, but I am back just to correct a factual mistake you have made by forming a view then just assuming it was correct. I read this article when it was linked in the Stadia thread, that's why I tweeted a variant of this joke 8 minutes before this thread was even created.

I think this is commonly referred to as a persecution complex.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
With so much people on the internet Im wondering how good the experience would be.
Maybe anyone could share their experience?
Division 2 is my go to game since it launched on Stadia. I'm blown away with how good it looks and plays across my TV, PC and phone.

Literally every form of media that enters my house is streaming and I have no issues but a very good connection (500mbps)

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

At least mods took care of it fast. Hopefully this will mean less shit posting going forward on Stadia threads. I mean critique Stadia all you want based on the thread subject, but don't go out of your way to show you only care about shit posting as fast as possible, every time you see a Stadia thread.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Division 2 is my go to game since it launched on Stadia. I'm blown away with how good it looks and plays across my TV, PC and phone.

Literally every form of media that enters my house is streaming and I have no issues but a very good connection (500mbps)
Why the fuck doesn't Stadia allow crossprogression. If I could boot up The Division 2 or Destiny with my characters I'd be a lot more interested. Not to mention crossplay. Idk what they're doing over there.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Alright famous last words I had said I bowed out of this thread, but I am back just to correct a factual mistake you have made by forming a view then just assuming it was correct. I read this article when it was linked in the Stadia thread, that's why I tweeted a variant of this joke 8 minutes before this thread was even created.

I think this is commonly referred to as a persecution complex.
Regardless of WHEN you did it. It was still platform warring

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We've been using it at my studio since we're currently WFH and honestly it's been great for this exact purpose. It also helps directors and the like play and review builds.

OP
OP
SwampBastard

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Fair enough. Hopefully you can see that, from my perspective, it looks like you rushed in to be the first person to post a joke about Stadia.

Spare me the persecution complex stuff. Pretend you posted on a board for car enthusiasts and you have a Mustang that you really like, and that every thread you or anyone else posts about Mustangs just has a bunch of people talking about how shitty Mustangs are even though they've never driven one (and probably never even seen someone driving one). It would get old fast.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Why the fuck doesn't Stadia allow crossprogression. If I could boot up The Division 2 or Destiny with my characters I'd be a lot more interested. Not to mention crossplay. Idk what they're doing over there.

Stadia Destiny 2 has full cross-progression with all platforms.

I believe Stadia Division 2 has cross-progression with PC. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
It's a good alternative to use if you already have a Linux game client, but if you don't, super hard to justify making one right now during these times.

Luckily we have the studio infrastructure in a really good shape so we don't have to use third party hosting platforms. The amount of risk they add is quite big.

sounds like the perfect bungie move at this point honestly

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like a very good solution for the situation. Seems better than having to buy hundreds of gaming laptops that might not be used as much once this is over.

I mean they are definitely making do with what they have the smart way. I just don't trust them since leaving activision with anything at this point with how badly managed and worse the game has been getting overall. So seeing elenarie stating how big of a risk factor it can be to do this though is worrisome.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I mean they are definitely making do with what they have the smart way. I just don't trust them since leaving activision with anything at this point with how badly managed and worse the game has been getting overall. So seeing elenarie stating how big of a risk factor it can be to do this though is worrisome.

This is basically renting processing power in the cloud to continue play testing your game. What you think of the current quality of their games is separate and has nothing to do with this decision.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I wonder if Stadia usage has gone up with more people stuck indoors. Perhaps this will encourage more people to try the service out.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

It is a big risk in terms of leaks and confidentiality, mostly.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Please read the OP first.

"Another thing I'll throw out is Google Stadia: it looks like that's going to be our test solution," O'Kelley said. "Getting playtests at scale is a hard thing to do -- a lot of bandwidth involved -- so they've been collaborating with us to set that up and that looks like it's going to be a really amazing solution for us.

"It's not something we necessarily thought about initially but it looks like it's going to be a great way for us to keep getting regular playtests and do it pretty easily."

Bungie's Destiny 2 was already on Stadia. Pivoting to a testing mode was a rather painless step.

No dev is going to spend weeks/months porting their game to Stadia just to use as a test environment.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
That's a harsh warning. It was a joke and most people found it funny which meant it added value to the forum.

Oh well.

Dude pops up in every stadia thread to take a big ol' dump. He must have an alert set up or something. Also the joke is hack at this point.

You need to buy hardware to play it? Lame.

What? No you don't. I play on a chromebook with an xbox controller.

We've been using it at my studio since we're currently WFH and honestly it's been great for this exact purpose. It also helps directors and the like play and review builds.

Holy shit, someone with actual knowledge. Can you elaborate on the process of getting a build onto Stadia? I had always heard it was far from trivial to port a game over.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Dude pops up in every stadia thread to take a big ol' dump. He must have an alert set up or something. Also the joke is hack at this point.

What? No you don't. I play on a chromebook with an xbox controller.

Holy shit, someone with actual knowledge. Can you elaborate on the process of getting a build onto Stadia? I had always heard it was far from trivial to port a game over.
Website looks like I either need to buy it or have an invite code? I'm looking casually, it looks like I'd need to buy their hardware to use it?

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Stadia usage has gone up with more people stuck indoors. Perhaps this will encourage more people to try the service out.

My usage had gone up significantly with the timing of the crisis and release of Division 2 (the port is phenomenal) but I can't imagine it moved the needle too much on usebase until the free tier comes out
Website looks like I either need to buy it or have an invite code? I'm looking casually, it looks like I'd need to buy their hardware to use it?
Unfortunately Google does not seem to be in any rush to roll this out. They should at least allow a premium sub without buying the Chromecast at this point

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017

That's half-right. You need to either buy the games on Stadia or subscribe to Stadia Pro (that gets you Destiny2, Metro Exodus, Tomb Raider, and a few others). But you don't actually need a chromecast ultra to play if you already have a device that supports stadia.

The biggest annoyance (other than dire lack of games) is that if you don't have the stadia controller you have to use a wired controller on your device.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
They should consider making this a legit part of their service, make "dev accounts" and allow those to share builds with other devs for exactly this. Would help certain devs save time and money without having to transfer files to a remote desktop or cloud storage.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunately Google does not seem to be in any rush to roll this out. They should at least allow a premium sub without buying the Chromecast at this point

I'm on Stadia Pro currently without a chromecast, but I got in via buddy-pass from a generous Era user. Is that for sure that people can't just use Pro without buying the bundle? That's wack.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
My usage had gone up significantly with the timing of the crisis and release of Division 2 (the port is phenomenal) but I can't imagine it moved the needle too much on usebase until the free tier comes out

It's weird you can't even sign up for the service outside of the founders bundle with the controller and Chromecast, I'm sure more people would have given it a shot especially right now if the entry barrier wasn't as high as it was.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

Bungie's Destiny 2 was already on Stadia. Pivoting to a testing mode was a rather painless step.

No dev is going to spend weeks/months porting their game to Stadia just to use as a test environment.

I said: benefits of having multiple easy to access test computers available. This is especially useful in this situation.

You said: Not really.

No one here is discussing how this will work with non Stadia games, where did you get that? This is about discussing how it's a good thing (or not, in your case) for Stadia to allow developers to setup multiple cloud instances, so they can play test their Stadia games. Your "Not really" comment doesn't make any sense, you have a developer describing in the OP how it has been of benefit to them. This is why I told you to read the OP, so you can educate yourself on how this option is helping Bungie.

Last edited:

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird you can't even sign up for the service outside of the founders bundle with the controller and Chromecast, I'm sure more people would have given it a shot especially right now if the entry barrier wasn't as high as it was.
I know, I think this is just a super long beta test for them.

It's unfortunate as the tech itself is amazing.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on Stadia Pro currently without a chromecast, but I got in via buddy-pass from a generous Era user. Is that for sure that people can't just use Pro without buying the bundle? That's wack.
You need a pass otherwise... Which Google stopped giving founder's months ago

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
User Banned (1 day): Platform warring, recent infraction for similar behaviour
Glad it found a use case scenario!

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I know, I think this is just a super long beta test for them.

It's unfortunate as the tech itself is amazing.
It seems like everything is going well as far as the service working, I have to question why they haven't opened up the platform yet. At least let people sign up so that when it does open up people will already have their names and account info ready.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
You need a pass otherwise... Which Google stopped giving founder's months ago

Yeah, but you don't actually need to buy the bundle with the chromecast, right? Hard for me to figure out because I have the option to renew pro after the buddy pass expires, but I assume I could have just done that anyway without the trial? Makes no sense otherwise.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but you don't actually need to buy the bundle with the chromecast, right? Hard for me to figure out because I have the option to renew pro after the buddy pass expires, but I assume I could have just done that anyway without the trial? Makes no sense otherwise.
If you are a founder, premier or buddy pass account you are in the ecosystem and can play your owned games for free or re subscibe

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
It is a big risk in terms of leaks and confidentiality, mostly.

So do you maintain your own hardware facilities because of this concern? Also what is the difference in risk for a massive company like EA with a lot of employees when comparing deployment on self-owned premises vs premises managed by a 3rd party provider? Just trying to understand the trust dynamics at play.

badabeezy

Oct 27, 2017
xCloud beta has Destiny 2 on it as well. Isn't his statement just stating a benefit of cloud gaming in general? If that is the case there is no debate. That being said Stadia's issues are in the overall platform, not its cloud gaming performance. I see this more as marketing. Wonder what their agreement looks like with Google.