• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
There is no guaranteed way to get everything. The knockout system only applies to limited time events.

Bungie also regularly offers cosmetics that you can only buy for real money that are ridiculously overpriced.
I know, so I said 95 % chance, based on experience of mine and my friends, for season 1 - 4. Silver dust purchase helped quite a lot. There are bundle-only items, but as far as I know, iron banner emote and thunderlord skins? Can't say it is too regular. I am not defending their MTX just feel like people started bashing it without actually playing to some extent.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
They're prolly contractually obligated to do so and all but that's still hilarious.

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao that's pretty funny.
I always wondered when this would eventually happen, surprised a bug like this took so long after fated engrams were introduced.
It's not really a huge deal since it sounds like the only way for this to happen is through a fated engram which can only give you something you don't have and it sounds like in order to have triggered this bug you literally need to be a 100% exotic completion on that class.

Considering they were so cheap to buy I doubt anyone is seriously sore over this, and anyone who actually got screwed can probably just take the time to manually report and see if they can refund the shards.

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017
I know, so I said 95 % chance, based on experience of mine and my friends, for season 1 - 4. Silver dust purchase helped quite a lot. There are bundle-only items, but as far as I know, iron banner emote and thunderlord skins? Can't say it is too regular. I am not defending their MTX just feel like people started bashing it without actually playing to some extent.

No, there are far more than that. IB, 2 Thunderlord, 2 Whisper, Thorn, Pennywise dance, Mind blown emote, 3 for arc week this week, the dog emote from this season. Those are just off the top of my head.

They are also all overpriced.

Oct 27, 2017
You are not being objective because you are inserting information you do not have access to. I agree with you that exclusives are dumb. I have said that repeatedly. I am not calling you out for disliking it. I am calling you out for getting mad at bungie and making up all these scenarios in which Bungie for sure is solely responsible here, and the fact is you do not know that. Full stop. That is what I'm calling out. You repeatedly cites facts that are not true. You are using concrete statements and baseless "probably"s as if you have any insider info into the deal they made, even though Publishers regularly make deals without asking developers, because they don't have to typically. Hell, the whole reason Marty O'Donnell left Bungie all started because Activision threw out his music for a trailer and used their own, and they can do that, because they have the final say in all things marketing and all things having to do with sales and sales potential.

I know Bungie does dumb things. The Thorn ornament thing annoys me greatly, and I don't think that was Activision, although I do not know for sure, so I have not made any proclamations about it.

Wow. Imagine that -- not spouting my head off based on information I don't have so that I can lay blame on someone when I don't even know they deserve it.

It does not make sense for Bungie to be the one making exclusive deals right now. It makes senes for Activision to, because Activision are the ones that partnered with Sony to publish and advertise both games. If you'll notice, Call of Duty, another franchise Activision, also has playstation exclusivity. It makes more sense then to assume that since they also publish Destiny, that Activision is responsible for the exclusivity there too. Given that the exclusives have had the same basic parts since 2014, it seems pretty clear to me that the order Activision said was "We are giving Playstation an exclusive gun, an exclusive map, an exclusive strike, and some exclusive armor for all major releases, since those cover all major areas of the game. You have more freedom to do what you want on smaller releases."

That makes hell of a lot more sense than what you're spouting. Like sure, Bungie could totally be responsible for exclusivity, I don't know that for sure, but it sure makes a hell of a lot more sense for Activision to be doing it, since the entire point of exclusive deals is marketing to get people to buy on Playstation, and Activision are, until September, responsible for marketing and publishing. It is literally their domain of decision. Clearly they know Bungie could make worthless loot. They're not idiots. Bungie likely has to get it approved through Activision can go "okay, we think this will offer enough appeal, because if not Sony will be very mad they paid for that exclusivity and we gave them shit no one cares about."

You on the other hand, have NO basis for blaming Bungie for the exclusivity.

Pretending I am calling you out for being angry about exclusivity is shitty dude. Quit it, seriously; it's so disingenuous. I've made it very clear what I am calling you out for. You constantly make up shit to justify your anger and lay blame at Bungie for every thing you don't like about Destiny. That constant bullshit is why you are on so many ignore lists. Not because fanboys can't handle the truth. It's because they're tired of that bullshit.

I have done my fair share of viscerally criticizing Bungie for shit, especially during D2Y1. Quit acting like the only people who could possibly calling you out are those who can't stand Bungie criticism. It's your bullshit that brings people on you.
Here's the thing - Bungie has not done a damn thing to earn the benefit of the doubt. At every turn they've Bungoed things.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
No, there are far more than that. IB, 2 Thunderlord, 2 Whisper, Thorn, Pennywise dance, Mind blown emote, 3 for arc week this week, the dog emote from this season. Those are just off the top of my head.

They are also all overpriced.
Okay,I dropped last December , didn't know they are adding this many. kinda suck they are making this trend.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
I don't see how bungie has a choice here since it violates their contract with Sony. Sucks for everyone involved and hopefully they learn not to do this in the future.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Shitty but expected since there is a legal obligation behind these deals.

For anyone who's defending this deal, wtf is wrong with you? I though the deal with Destiny 1 was fucking stupid and I played it on the PS4.

Who is defending the actual exclusivity deal in this thread.

There are:

1. People who don't play Destiny making an issue out of the nonissue bug and have no understanding about the (former) relationships between Bungo, Sony and Activision. These are the idiots. Which are most of the drive by lot in this thread.

2. The people who play Destiny who are pointing out how dumb it is to have an issue with the bug because they understand the realities between Bungo's former relationships with Activision/Sony. Which I know who my boys and gals are in here. And shark, I guess.

3. The people who may or may not play Destiny who are making an issue out of the nonissue because it highlights the original issue behind the exclusivity deal in the first place. In which case, get in the fucking line, we've been complaining about that shit since day one. Glad you could join the party. Here is your free hat. These folk are Carolina Reaper I think and whatshisface with the Bungo avatar. They type a lot for my tastes so I ain't reading most of the posts. EDIT: Their name is Green. That's the second guy. I saw you quote me, Green. You can't get passed these eyes.

4. And William Herschel who is talking to the clouds.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Uhh... If you made a deal to keep items away from some players, but then you let them buy it and you fucked up your deal. You fucked up.

How ridiculous.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Uhh... If you made a deal to keep items away from some players, but then you let them buy it come you fucked up your deal. You fucked up.

How ridiculous.

Exactly, that's how it works. You fucked up your deal. It is now nothing. Why didn't we do this to Sony before. Loophole confirmed.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We need to stop tolerating this loot shit. Loot and grinding in games is really getting disgusting. It might not be as bad as F2P, but it's still gross.
E3rfvvB.jpg

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Now for this:

Funny, considering how many posts contain some variation of that exact phrase. Just search the thread if you don't believe me. That's the specific language I was referencing. Have some quotes:

This makes my head hurt. I literally explained it.

No true scotsman is when you say that no one would share an opinion with you because that's not what people of your group do, else they wouldn't be in your group. It's a baseless argument, hence it's a fallacy.

Rational people, who actually play the game, and know that Bungie cannot do anything about this, are not mad that Bungie is not doing anything about it, because if you play the game, you know that they cannot. If you do not know that, you are an idiot.

The vast majority of those criticizing this are those who do not understand the issue, or are being purposefully hateful.

Even if not technically correct, this does not follow the mechanics of No True Scotsman.

If I present the argument: "All redheads have freckles", and someone counters with a photo and says: "But this is a redhead without freckles", if you then say: "Only REAL redheads have freckles", you are making a One True Scotsman argument.

What I was calling out: "No one who plays the game has an issue with this", and then I counter with: "I play the game and have an issue with this", you can't then say:
"Rational people, who actually play the game, and know that Bungie cannot do anything about this, are not mad that Bungie is not doing anything about it, because if you play the game, you know that they cannot. If you do not know that, you are an idiot.", or you are making a fallacious statement. You're either labeling those that disagree with you as an idiot, or dismissing their argument due to the fact that they don't "actually play the game", whatever "actually" even means - excluding them from 2 groups in one go.

You're making 3 assumptions:
1) Bungie cannot do ANYTHING about this. False. They own the game, they could do anything they want, so long as it doesn't breach previous contracts. There's a million and one things they COULD do for goodwill's sake.

2) Anyone who disagrees with you is doing so from an irrational standpoint. False. There's a clear logical flow of why someone who disagrees with you would have issue with this, going all the way back to signing the deal in the first place with Activision/Sony. Plenty of posts here that make good points on both sides.

3) Only players who play the game can truly "know" that your argument in defense of this is the only valid one, OR they are an idiot. I don't even know how to respond to this without bashing my head on the keyboard.

Look, I don't know what the solution is. But doing nothing isn't gaining them any favour and in my opinion they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt unless they come out and confirm they won't be doing these types of greasy marketing tactics going forward. If they design a mechanic where your time invested rolls for a certain item and that item is then banned from use, your time is essentially forfeit. People are soured by this more than usual because of the circumstances that allowed it to occur in the first place. It's not a tough concept.

They can't just wave it all away and blame Gaul for everything every time.

they-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Sounds like you know nothing alright.
Care to elaborate? Not trying to start an argument here, just honestly curious, mainly because I played D1 almost daily for two and a half years and experienced pretty much every time Bungie messed up on some front, so it doesn't surprise me that they offered a platform-exclusive weapon to people playing on other systems.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Yes. It's game designed focused on what is essentially a slot machine pull to get a dopamine fix and keep people coming back. All of this loot based gaming as a function of hours-in probability is a significant problem, even if loot boxes and exclusives are more of an obvious symptom.

There is an entire looter genre that millions of millions of people love.

This is a TERRIBLE opinion.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The game has a F2P MTX model though: time-gated progression system, microtransactions up the ass, timers to wait out, grinding galore. Except Activision and Bungie except you to shell out hundreds of dollars during the game's life cycle between the day 1 version of the game, the DLCs, the expansion packs and then some, only to be able to keep up with non-cosmetic content drops, which are, unsurprisingly, also paid. So after you spend like 200 hundred dollars you can still experience the lovely grind, spending dozens or hundreds of hours on content you paid for hoping that the game rolls the dice well come the lootdrops. I mean, all this having platform-specific content is just the icing on the cake. I can live with something like Rocket League, where every platform gets their own exclusive items - you aren't getting less on any version, you're getting slightly different cosmetics on like 0.1% of the overall content. Totally not a big deal. In Destiny's case, alternative versions of the game cost the same, but only the PS4 one is feature-complete, the others are mandated to be castrated. Ain't that great.

microtransactions out the ass? destiny has barely any mtxs, wtf are you talking about.

also lol at "castrated". the non ps4 versions miss out on a couple weapons and like a strike.

I dont even play destiny anymore buts it's still funny to see people find ways to get mad about it.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I also love that disingenous title (I know its copied from kotaku) that makes it sound like people bought the weapon with real money.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I'm reading into this:
It would be possible to link your system accounts to Bungie.net and use them on all platforms and just disable equipping of weapons that aren't available on a platform.

Destiny's account data has always been platform agnostic, yeah. This example can't be done, though, because of both the Sony deal and Sony's anti-crossplatform policies.

Stimpack

Oct 27, 2017
The deal was done under Activision. The existing exclusivity contract didn't magically go away after they sold Destiny because Sony is also part of it.

If they make a new Sony exclusivity deal for Destiny 3, that'll be Bungie's fault then.
People are acting like this is news. They didn't do anything wrong. Obviously the items exist, but it's still an exclusive. They accidentally enabled them. What exactly are people expecting? The contract still exists as it always has, why the hell would people think otherwise? Getting upset over nothing.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
People are acting like this is news. They didn't do anything wrong. Obviously the items exist, but it's still an exclusive. They accidentally enabled them. What exactly are people expecting? The contract still exists as it always has, why the hell would people think otherwise? Getting upset over nothing.

They fucked up by enabling players to buy the items from Xur, and then blocking them instead of simply removing them and giving the players their shards back.
Yes there is no reason to get angry about it but it's still perfectly fine to call them out on this shit.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
1) Bungie cannot do ANYTHING about this. False. They own the game, they could do anything they want, so long as it doesn't breach previous contracts. There's a million and one things they COULD do for goodwill's sake.

This is literally irrational. You are saying "There's a million things they could do to fix it and make it better, but I can't think of any, but it's so easy."

Like, no dude. Mistakes happen. And all mistakes lead to time that is technically lost. That is a part of engaging with humans working on complicated systems. Severe things, severe things that have practical negative effects, for sure need compensation.

But the thing that is making people mad here is not the lack of compensation. The thing that is making people mad is that they don't get to use Playstation exclusive content. There is NOTHING Bungie can do to make these people happy right now. Nothing. Because these people understandably want a thing, and cannot have it.

The only thing that would fix that, would be allow people to have it. Bungie cannot do that however, so being angry at them for not doing so is inherently irrational. You can be mad at Activision. You can be mad at Sony. But you can't be mad at Bungie because their hands are tied. Thus, getting angry at them is definitively irrational. So if you play the game and are unhappy at these unfortunate events, then fine, that is understandable. But if you play the game and are angry at Bungie, like, what. You're mad for a split second people got to do something they weren't supposed to? Again, that is irrational. No one mad was practically harmed by this.

The only thing Bungie did was make a mistake, and this mistake did not harm anyone affected by that mistake. Again, you have not made a case for the practical harm anyone here experienced. None of these people obtained Wavesplitter by grinding or spending significant time in obtaining it. None of these people spent hours grinding for legendary shards BECAUSE NO ONE DOES THAT, AND YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT IF YOU PLAY THE GAME. PEOPLE GRIND FOR GEAR, AND THE EXCESS GEAR THAT THEY DON'T WANT IS DIGESTED AND SHAT OUT AS LEGENDARY SHARDS, WHICH IS WHY EVERYONE HAS A SURPLUS OF THEM.

And plus, not everyone's time is as valuable as other people's time. And on top of THAT, this is an RNG based game where someone can play for hours and get nothing of value. Or play for hours and get 97 shards because they dismantled gear that they didn't care about for one piece they did. It is impossible for you to credibly and convincingly assign a number to that. You cannot assign value to the time lost, and you cannot assign value to the value lost, relatively or concretely, and you cannot make a case that any of the TINY amount of players who obtained these items were actually hurt. I can however, make a pretty solid statement that they most certainly were not harmed by it, because I know how the game works, and if someone obtains an item from xur in the tiny window between update and reset, which often doesn't even exit (partially for this reason....), I bet you $1 million per person that everyone who did this is not suffering for shards, and will not practically face consequences for not having shards.

97 is not why people are mad dude. I'm sure you can find some random asshat who just really wants an argument so he'll claim he just hates how he lost 97 shards because you want to prove my generality wrong. I don't fucking care.

People are mad that they don't get to have a playstation exclusive gun. And that sucks for them. And it sucks for me because I play very little on PS4. I would like it on PC, because PC is where I actually play the game.

But Bungie did not harm anyone in any practical, demonstrable, effective way. You cannot demonstrate to me the harm of any of those who exploited the time between update and weekly reset. You cannot demonstrate to me that losing 97 shards results in a negative effect on those people. Not theoretical people. The people who actually "suffered" those consequences.

If people were not practically harmed by this, and if Bungie cannot do anything about it, then getting angry at Bungie is necessarily and definitively irrational, and I do not need to be bothered with considering it when addressing the large number of people in this thread who are angry about something they know nothing about.

To sum up more succinctly:

They fucked up by enabling players to buy the items from Xur, and then blocking them instead of simply removing them and giving the players their shards back.
Yes there is no reason to get angry about it but it's still perfectly fine to call them out on this shit.

If they removed them, then you'd have a host of people angry they took it away. However, I agree this is probably the better action, especially since these items came from fated engrams, and fated engrams will presumably be around in September, so people could have their precious 97 shards now and spend them then.

The end practical effect on those who obtained wavesplitter will end up being the same though to be entirely honest. I just cannot be convinced anyone here will be hurting for 97 shards before September roles around. I seriously can't.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

You are literally making up shit you don't know and making conclusions based off it and using it as a reason to get mad at Bungie. This is demonstrably true. Anyone who has the misfortune of reading our exchange can see that. There is no irony here. You even admitted earlier you don't actually know population numbers but you still spout this whole "Destiny is dying destiny is dying" which seriously cannot be anything beyond hate. It is not useful. It is not practical. It's hating on Bungie and Destiny because your mad, and making up reasons for it when you are not privy to any information. Making up negative information about someone, and constantly spouting it, is what is getting you ignored, because it makes you a fucking asshole dude.

I've made suppositions, which I think are clear, and which I have actually supported with evidence, which you have not bothered to even consider, even though I back them up with precedent and example and laboriously but apparently fruitlessly spend time connecting as best I can, still not using it as an excuse to lay blame for the situation on anyone. There is no irony there.

I'm not speaking to you further. Fuck off. I've legitimately never used the ignore button, but you are so dogged in your Bungie hating even I, who if you've read some of my posts about Bungie's mistakes you'd know I have no fear or shame in calling them out in detail, can't fucking stand you. And you have no self awareness whatsoever. Just an axe to grind. Go lead your crusade about the evil developers at Bungie from whom all suffering rains down, fucking elsewhere.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
You are literally making up shit you don't know and making conclusions based off it and using it as a reason to get mad at Bungie. This is demonstrably true. Anyone who has the misfortune of reading our exchange can see that. There is no irony here. You even admitted earlier you don't actually know population numbers but you still spout this whole "Destiny is dying destiny is dying" which seriously cannot be anything beyond hate. It is not useful. It is not practical. It's hating on Bungie and Destiny because your mad, and making up reasons for it when you are not privy to any information. Making up negative information about someone, and constantly spouting it, is what is getting you ignored, because it makes you a fucking asshole dude.

I've made suppositions, which I think are clear, and which I have actually supported with evidence, which you have not bothered to even consider, even though I back them up with precedent and example and laboriously but apparently fruitlessly spend time connecting as best I can, still not using it as an excuse to lay blame for the situation on anyone. There is no irony there.

I'm not speaking to you further. Fuck off. I've legitimately never used the ignore button, but you are so dogged in your Bungie hating even I, who if you've read some of my posts about Bungie's mistakes you'd know I have no fear or shame in calling them out in detail, can't fucking stand you. And you have no self awareness whatsoever. Just an axe to grind. Go lead your crusade about the evil developers at Bungie from whom all suffering rains down, fucking elsewhere.
I said I don't know their numbers? There's a discord Destiny bot that tells you how many people played each day and breaks it down by platform. It's not a secret that numbers have been dwindling since December. And it's not surprising either given that the season pass content has been terrible. It's also not surprising that Twitch streams and views for it dwindled right along with it.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Yep, ya'll gotta be trolling. Who fucking cares? The in-game currency used to buy Xur's stock is easy as shit to acquire and the weapon remains in the player's possession until it becomes usable in September.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It should also be pointed out the actual complex scenario you had to be in to acquire Wavesplitter via this bug:

- Patch your client before weekly reset, the patch came out 4 hours before reset.
- Stay in the tower for another 4 hours straight, or get lucky and load into an old instance of the tower, so that Xur is still standing there
- Wait until reset passes by
- Then get a Fated Engram, after you've already collected every other exotic in the game so that Wavesplitter is the only one left in the pool

It wasn't something you could just walk up and get.

Last edited: