• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Would love a fresh start but I'm sure they will continue the seasons model.

I was a huge destiny fan and played it non stop until the forsaken campaign, briefly came back for beyond light but I have not played since.

I almost considered getting the witch Queen expansion since its currently on sale but I feel like I am massively behind on the grind now and everything I've read is the new / returning experience is terrible.

So hopefully whatever they do, can entice players to return and not feel massively confused

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
That's where I'm at too, I do kinda miss Destiny but man I haven't played since Forsaken.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
www.forbes.com

Destiny 2’s Fifth Subclass May Have Just Leaked From Bungie Itself

Destiny 2's fifth subclass may have been revealed by a Bungie employee.

Oops. Expected though.

My bet:

• Placeholders. It's possible that symbol is a placeholder and not the final version. Similarly, the grenade and melee symbols are existing ones, repeated, so presumably those are placeholders. We are over six months away from Lightfall, after all, and I would not expect these to be finalized.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Would they rework a class (arc)and do a new subclass at the same time? just a seasonal update anyway

(opinions from my butt)

OP
OP
DNAbro

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
My bet:

• Placeholders. It's possible that symbol is a placeholder and not the final version. Similarly, the grenade and melee symbols are existing ones, repeated, so presumably those are placeholders. We are over six months away from Lightfall, after all, and I would not expect these to be finalized.
Even if real it's a WIP. I do believe the new subclass will be green though

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Corruption or w/e has always been the assumed next class, but this is clearly placeholder stuff.

I think Bungie has learned their lesson enough to balance it. Basically requiring nades or melees to have a slow building poison build up like Dark Souls, followed by lingering DoT that probably doesn't kill outright much like the burning effect with Solar.

That being said the first season artifact buffs will probably result in a rough PVP experience.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why people are hankering for a Destiny 3… like you don't even think about a WoW 2 or a FFXIV-2 or a Warframe 2 do you? People have invested thousands of hours into the game, they've learned their lessons with D2 and resetting with a D3 just doesn't make sense to me at all.
It's because A) Those other games were built to be supported over a long period of time and don't require things like vaulting content to maintain ongoing operations B) Because of how notoriously bad the onboarding process is and how hard Destiny leans in to FOMO content, people are looking for a natural jumping on point & C) Because Destiny 2 exists, people see a precedent for sequels in the franchise and assume that a Destiny 3 or equivalent may eventually come (even though I agree it's unlikely to happen soon if at all).

Also there definitely was a point where people were wondering if we'd get a WoW 2 until it slowly became clear that they wouldn't and probably didn't need to and another reminder that FF14 is technically FF11-2.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Would they rework a class (arc)and do a new subclass at the same time? just a seasonal update anyway

(opinions from my butt)
Nope. It's too much work, imo. We kinda saw the struggle on delivering two subclasses rework back to back with launch Solar 3.0.

I do think it was possible at some time they let a team maturing a new subclass for Witch Queen but it would have to launch on Season 20 and it would be just better to tie the new subclass to Lightfall.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I'll be honest. I kinda wish they didn't go the "poison" route, I'd rather have them do so lore stunts and make a Darkness SIVA subclass or one based on the yellowish darkness energy.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't really get why some people obsess over SIVA so much, it's a cool aesthetic but doesn't make much sense as a set of powers guardians would wield.

I definitely think a third darkness subclass would be based on the sort of pyramid power/tech seen in Vow and the Throne World.

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get why some people obsess over SIVA so much, it's a cool aesthetic but doesn't make much sense as a set of powers guardians would wield.

I definitely think a third darkness subclass would be based on the sort of pyramid power/tech seen in Vow and the Throne World.

None of them really make sense honestly. Stasis came out of nowhere. The only one that kinda makes sense would be poison/corruption but even then that's based on like one weapon.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
I wonder if there will be a open door to newcomers this time. I really want to enter this universe especially after the Sony case.

It would be really great if they add all the content to PS Plus, for example.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I wonder if there will be a open door to newcomers this time. I really want to enter this universe especially after the Sony case.

It would be great if they add all the content to PS Plus.
At this point expect a good entry point with the 2025 expansion after the current arc is wrapped up

Always possible they announce some on-boarding revamps before then though, and frankly you could always just download Witch Queen and see what you think of the campaign. Might be totally lost storywise but it's still damn good FPS gaming regardless of your destiny experience

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
It's because A) Those other games were built to be supported over a long period of time and don't require things like vaulting content to maintain ongoing operations B) Because of how notoriously bad the onboarding process is and how hard Destiny leans in to FOMO content, people are looking for a natural jumping on point & C) Because Destiny 2 exists, people see a precedent for sequels in the franchise and assume that a Destiny 3 or equivalent may eventually come (even though I agree it's unlikely to happen soon if at all).

Also there definitely was a point where people were wondering if we'd get a WoW 2 until it slowly became clear that they wouldn't and probably didn't need to and another reminder that FF14 is technically FF11-2.
Wow removed/altered a ton of the vanilla experience in cataclysm. Not a great example.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Wow removed/altered a ton of the vanilla experience in cataclysm. Not a great example.
I mean, they did that to rework and refresh the early experience along with the expansion, not remove content because the game couldn't handle maintaining it (correct me if I'm wrong), and by most accounts it was extremely well received which is not something we can say about Beyond Light or any of the vaulting of content from D2, so I think it still is a good example. If Destiny 2 was able to create their own Cataclysm equivalent, I think very few people would have an issue with any content removed to make way for that.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, they did that to rework and refresh the early experience along with the expansion, not remove content because the game couldn't handle maintaining it (correct me if I'm wrong), and by most accounts it was extremely well received which is not something we can say about Beyond Light or any of the vaulting of content from D2, so I think it still is a good example. If Destiny 2 was able to create their own Cataclysm equivalent, I think very few people would have an issue with any content removed to make way for that.
The content updates since vaulting including the seasonal stuff has been very well received. Streamlining what is installed has dramatically improved the content pipeline.

They have been adding back vaulted content in a modified way (Leviathan this season) which is similar to how cataclysm changed things. Obviously they haven't done it all at once like cataclysm but WoW has a sub fee and charges for expansions so it has a lot more resources.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Start times were given today, 8AM PDT for preshow (English only) and 9AM PDT for Showcase start.

ESZyifL.png

Bungie.net

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Losing my damn mind. Fortnite is my second most played game behind D2 and have been playing since just before the BR dropped. Seeing this collaboration as the first for D2 is just mesmerising.

Warlocks lucked out getting a Drift inspired set. Finally a helmet to threaten the Anubis Trials helmet from the top spot.

OP
OP
DNAbro

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Oh and we have some legit looking leaks now.

The next season is pirate themed. Supposedly the most in depth season they have ever done.

Lightfall's main antagonist is Calus. The new location is a futuristic cloud city on Neptune, described as a mix of Cyberpunk 2077 and Mass Effect. The new subclass is called Strand. There are more specific story details but not posting them.

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017
What a weird collab. Those are all ugly as hell.

Who would want to be Zavala over Goku?

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
Would love a fresh start but I'm sure they will continue the seasons model.

I was a huge destiny fan and played it non stop until the forsaken campaign, briefly came back for beyond light but I have not played since.

I almost considered getting the witch Queen expansion since its currently on sale but I feel like I am massively behind on the grind now and everything I've read is the new / returning experience is terrible.

So hopefully whatever they do, can entice players to return and not feel massively confused
I actually did return this past week to Destiny 2. I previously played beyond light too, missed the previous expansions because I left before any of them released, after the first 3 raids.

I was light level 1350, did the witch queen capaign on legendary with a friend and I'm now sitting at 1535 after doing only that. But now I feel completely overwhelmed and lost, so I get you completely. I'm just gonna wait till tuesday to try to get a stride going with the start of the new season.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I don't suppose there's any hope that they'll announce Steam Deck support here, will they? I'm getting one sometime soon and would love to be able to play the game natively on it.

titans once again, getting the worst looking armor in a set 💀

I guess this maybe points to an EGS version of D2 being announced on Tuesday.
Was a matter of time. Iirc, the big leak from last year mentioned the game coming to the Epic Games Store at some point.

Oh and we have some legit looking leaks now.

The next season is pirate themed. Supposedly the most in depth season they have ever done.

Lightfall's main antagonist is Calus. The new location is a futuristic cloud city on Neptune, described as a mix of Cyberpunk 2077 and Mass Effect. The new subclass is called Strand. There are more specific story details but not posting them.
That all sounds cool to me. Will be cool to get a big urban environment that (seemingly?) isn't all dilapidated.

Last edited: