• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
The Witness design is so insanely good. I love it.

Can't wait to see what Bungie's up to.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Am I understanding correctly that even if you bought all the expansions, you wouldn't be able to play them all right now?

Destiny is a strange beast :D you can´t even play the normal campaign anymore if you bought the game at launch for 60$
But yeah, most old campaigns are removed from the game, not that the story missions were anything too amazing and you couldn´t find players for old raids etc. anyways anymore.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Will probably witness more content you paid for getting patched out of the game.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
They've been officially a part of Sony for like 3 weeks Im not sure why people are expecting whatever they announce to be impacted at all by that fact.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
absolutely going to be 2023, they need a year+ for expansions. Witch Queen came out in February
Yes, but WQ was also announced in August and was originally due to be released the same year. So it's strange that now they are showing the new DLC in August again. Maybe they're so far ahead with Lightfall development that we'll get it this year?

Of course it's probably coming in early 2023, it's just weird.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I tried to jump back into Destiny 2 about 18 months ago and just had no fucking idea what was happening and gave up.

I played a shitload of D1 but D2 at this point is just so overly massive and they locked so much content I didn't play away I feel like I'll never catch up on the story.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Yes, but WQ was also announced in August and was originally due to be released the same year. So it's strange that now they are showing the new DLC in August again. Maybe they're so far ahead with Lightfall development that we'll get it this year?

Of course it's probably coming in early 2023, it's just weird.
Oh yeah now that you mention it, I totally forgot that August stream had it for that same year

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to hop in this year and I was just so lost - felt like I had to do a lot of busywork to even get my bearings.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Its not going to be just an expansion reveal. These streams generally also talk about the future of Destiny years away.

Last time we got one of these, the names of the following three expansions got announced with logos; The Witch Queen, Lightfall and Final Shape
Specifically, they told us about Beyond Light in Aug 2020 and then at the same time revealed The Witch Queen and Lightfall. August 2021 when they talked more about TWC they also revealed that they "decided" to expand on more time by adding The Final Shape.

I'm still semi-convinced that TFS will basically bring back all existing Destiny stuff form both games and stick it into one package as a single full game, while also leaving behind the previous gen consoles (it'll be 2024 by then, at least).

Destiny is a strange beast :D you can´t even play the normal campaign anymore if you bought the game at launch for 60$
But yeah, most old campaigns are removed from the game, not that the story missions were anything too amazing and you couldn´t find players for old raids etc. anyways anymore.
Most being 2. The Red War and Forsaken. I don't know that we'd call COO and Warmind real campaigns, but I mean... those and Red War are all year 1, so... We still have Shadowkeep, Beyond Light and The Witch Queen. And parts of Forsaken are still around, at least.

What's wrong with the engine really? Always ran super well on my machine and the game never stopped being beautiful.
IIRC it's still based on the old engine they did for Halo Reach, and was just expanded upon and iterated and bolted to, etc etc to where it became a detriment to work on. They started reworking it a ton as well as their tooling, so we can get more stuff faster and better patched.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
What's wrong with the engine really? Always ran super well on my machine and the game never stopped being beautiful.

On the outset, nothing really. It's showing it's age visually in some spots (draw distance and textures if you really look) but nothing too crazy.

Internally for Bungies development? Tons and tons of issues that they've constantly had to fix in order to sustain the game as long as they have.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Most being 2. The Red War and Forsaken. I don't know that we'd call COO and Warmind real campaigns, but I mean... those and Red War are all year 1, so... We still have Shadowkeep, Beyond Light and The Witch Queen. And parts of Forsaken are still around, at least.

Curse of Osiris and Warmind are gone too, and you could make an argument for every seasonal dungeon/activity as being paid content that´s not accessible anymore. But Destiny is a live game you gotta play when the content is new, just gotta accept that :D

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
yeah enginewise it´s ok now with currentgen consoles and pc. Only inventory and vault should be faster and allow loadouts, there seems to still be some memory handling issues with animations loading slow etc.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Have they fixed the issue with missing subclasses yet? Returned a little over a month ago and my hunter's Void Class was simply deleted.

Ballou

Apr 2, 2020
Makes me curious about the story of the next two seasons. Hoping to see things start escalating to the Witness's arrival.

They've been officially a part of Sony for like 3 weeks Im not sure why people are expecting whatever they announce to be impacted at all by that fact.

Yeah, I honestly wouldn't expect to see the effects of Sony's resources until after the Final Shape expansion.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Witch Queen was revealed on Aug 21 2021
Yeah, but it was the day the 4th Beyond Light season launched. This is one the day the 3rd Witch Queen season launches. It's very strange. They can't have a tie-in from the DLC with the season reveal because there's still one more season to go and they have been doing that for the past 2 DLCs.

MoonCoffee8

Banned
Aug 30, 2020
My interest for Destiny died when the decided not to make a D3.
The game has become so convoluted and needs a complete reboot.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Curse of Osiris and Warmind are gone too, and you could make an argument for every seasonal dungeon/activity as being paid content that´s not accessible anymore. But Destiny is a live game you gotta play when the content is new, just gotta accept that :D
TBH, I quickly edited my post to add COO and Warmind after I remembered that, oh yeah, those existed (and despite liking Warmind!). Definitely not counting the seasonal stuff because those come and go regularly.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
If they do, it will be in a blog post. The game doesn't and won't revolve around Sony at all, even with the acquisition.

They will probably talk about the closure of the deal in today's TWAB.

If they can get on PS+ no problem now being part of PlayStation, they will bring attention to it the best they can. Its all about expanding their playerbase through every avenue.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
TBH, I quickly edited my post to add COO and Warmind after I remembered that, oh yeah, those existed (and despite liking Warmind!). Definitely not counting the seasonal stuff because those come and go regularly.

yeah, would still be cool to have a "Legacy Archive" of all old seasonal stuff even if you just want to run them for fun or with friends.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Let's Go!
ipagm6lu2ik81.jpg
Lmfao sublime edit

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't have to throw a whole damn event for Proton support but I'll take it 😏

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Have they fixed the issue with missing subclasses yet? Returned a little over a month ago and my hunter's Void Class was simply deleted.
What? First time I hear about subclasses not even being available for some people. Are you sure you're not mistaken with the updates they've done for Void and Solar so far? The subclasses are still there, just different. And some things need to be unlocked by talking to Ikora.

Jul 12, 2022
Internally for Bungies development? Tons and tons of issues that they've constantly had to fix in order to sustain the game as long as they have.
I thought that was with the D1 engine, but I kinda lost track. Given the quality of the PC port with D2 I figured the engine troubles were over.
I do think a D3 will come down the line. Or a rebranding to just Destiny. At least one can hope
Yes please.

But I'd jump on a Destiny refresh of some kind in a heartbeat.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it's more than just Lightfall potentially not getting delayed but having the reveal come two seasons before launch is interesting. The past two expansion reveals were followed up by a season that had a very consequential reveal that led directly into the expansion.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Maybe they're so far ahead with Lightfall development that we'll get it this year?
Doubt it. They said with the Witch Queen delay that they have always wanted to move from releases in the Fall/End of the year period.
Needs a new engine, Destiny 2 is proper dated now.
They update the engine with Beyond Light (hence part of the vaulting and subsequent unvaulting) to get them through the Final Shape.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Hard disagree. It's got a breath of fresh air with the new consoles. 4K/60 is magnificent.
I mean yeah it runs well now. But you have literally no idea what's happening behind the scenes with content creation. This is from back during the Destiny 1 days.

kotaku.com

The Messy, True Story Behind The Making Of Destiny

In the summer of 2013, months before they were supposed to ship their next video game, the game developers at Bungie went into panic mode.

"Let's say a designer wants to go in and move a resource node two inches," said one person familiar with the engine. "They go into the editor. First they have to load their map overnight. It takes eight hours to input their map overnight. They get [into the office] in the morning. If their importer didn't fail, they open the map. It takes about 20 minutes to open. They go in and they move that node two feet. And then they'd do a 15-20 minute compile. Just to do a half-second change."

Its still the same engine. Obviously its improved and Bungie has made strides to make the engine better, more specifically during the Beyond light era. But there is still lingering technical debt thats not going to make certain things possible because its the same engine and Destiny 2 was never intended to last this long.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
My interest for Destiny died when the decided not to make a D3.
The game has become so convoluted and needs a complete reboot.

It does not need a complete reboot. They did that with Destiny 2 and it was a mistake.

The game does need a better way to welcome new players. This is generally a problem with any long-running MMO though and it's not an easy thing to fix.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
What? First time I hear about subclasses not even being available for some people. Are you sure you're not mistaken with the updates they've done for Void and Solar so far? The subclasses are still there, just different. And some things need to be unlocked by talking to Ikora.
www.bungie.net

Void subclass missing from hunter > Help - PC Support | Forums | Bungie.net

Bungie.net is the Internet home for Bungie, the developer of Destiny, Halo, Myth, Oni, and Marathon, and the only place with official Bungie info straight from the developers.
steamcommunity.com

Void Subclass Missing. :: Destiny 2 General Discussions

Returning player here, haven't played in a few years and now my Void subclass is literally gone. No quests, can't aquire it again at Ikora, nothing. Quick google searches seem to answer it being a bug WHICH IS OVER 2 MONTHS OLD. How is Bungie too stupid to fix such a major issue for so long...

Seems like it may be fixed though, as i could at least choose the Void subclass on the Destiny 2 Companion app now. I guess it should be there when next i start playing again.