• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
As it's a bit difficult to get an overview of the games that will be available at launch of the PS5 and there will probably a lot of additional confirmations over the next couple of days/weeks, I thought it might be a good idea to assemble a list which keeps track of that. With your help I'll try to keep it as accurate and up to date as possible.

Obviously this list isn't taking backward compatibility into account, still on the fence whether to include the newly announced PS Plus Collection for subscribers (probably not, because I wouldn't include all Game Pass games in an XBOX list, because insanity).

Here we go:

First-party titles
  • Spider-Man: Miles Morales (and Spider-Man Remastered in the Ultimate Edition)
  • Demon's Souls Remake
  • Astro's Playroom (pre-installed)
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  • Destruction All Stars

Third-party titles
  • Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition
  • NBA 2K21
  • Godfall
  • The Pathless
  • Bugsnax
  • Observer: System Redux

Next-gen upgrades/improvements at launch
  • Cyberpunk 2077 (coincides with EU/rest of the world launch, small update with improvements, big one in 2021)
  • Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  • Watch Dogs Legion
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  • Destiny 2: Beyond Light
  • Dirt 5
  • Marvel's Avengers
  • Mortal Kombat XI
  • FIFA 21
  • Fortnite
  • Maneater

Announced next-gen upgrades without clear launch date yet
  • Control (for owners of the Ultimate Edition)
  • Rainbow Six Siege
  • Borderlands 3
  • The Witcher 3
  • Doom Eternal
  • Dead by Daylight
  • Madden NFL 21
  • NBA 2K21 (for owners of the Mamba Forever Edition)
  • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom

Last edited:

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
Their first party lineup for launch is great.
I still kinda hope Destruction All Stars is going to be the first PS5 PS+ game. Not because I don't want to pay for it, but it could really built a great community at launch and stay relevant for years if it turns out good. It also has great potential for DLC, so it would be a good candidate for a PS+ launch game.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As it's a bit difficult to get an overview of the games that will be available at launch of the PS5 and there will probably a lot of additional confirmations over the next couple of days/weeks, I thought it might be a good idea to assemble a list which keeps track of that. With your help I'll try to keep it as accurate and up to date as possible.

Obviously this list isn't taking backward compatibility into account, still on the fence whether to include the newly announced PS Plus Collection for subscribers (probably not, because I wouldn't include all Game Pass games in an XBOX list, because insanity).

Here we go:

First-party titles
  • Spider-Man: Miles Morales (and Spider-Man Remastered in the Ultimate Edition)
  • Demon's Souls Remake
  • Astro's Playroom (pre-installed)
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  • Destruction All Stars

Third-party titles
  • Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition
  • Godfall

Next-gen upgrades at launch
  • Cyberpunk 2077 (coincides with EU/rest of the world launch)
  • Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  • Watch Dogs Legion
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  • Destiny 2: Beyond Light
  • Dirt 5
  • Fortnite
  • Marvel's Avengers
A number of the games you have for upgrades are also getting released as full PS5 titles as well to note:
GUEST_e90f9091-0cb4-4140-aa9c-87d1c6628d64

GUEST_b2aa44f9-db4e-4285-a7e7-0cada4fb0401

cover_ps5_3557b048-7b5c-43d6-ac52-bfa7688f3f77_2048x.jpg

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's a mistake here, friend. Next-gen upgrade has been announced for 2021.
Eeeh. They've said it'll look better on next-gen consoles on launch, but that they have a bigger next-gen adaptation planned next year. I think it's fair to call it a PS5 title on release, because it sounds like it won't just be using the PS4 legacy modes.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, no need to get Cyberpunk early then.
Just need to hear about the PES PS5 version and I am happy.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Eeeh. They've said it'll look better on next-gen consoles on launch, but that they have a bigger next-gen adaptation planned next year. I think it's fair to call it a PS5 title on release, because it sounds like it won't just be using the PS4 legacy modes.
If you play Cyberpunk 2077 on your PS5 on November 19, you're still playing the PS4 version, only via backwards compatibility. You cannot deny that. The difference between that and the upcoming next-gen upgrade, scheduled for 2021, would be quite noticeable, if you ask me.
By this logic, you could say that ALL PS4 games will look better on PS5 if you play them once you get your hands on the machine later this year, regardless of if they get an upgrade or not.

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018
I haven't played the game in forever is it a good looking game?
personally I play on PC with the lowest graphics to get the most frames, but if you crank up the visuals it looks good, not really mind blowing but better then csgo or valorant, but again it's more of a competitive shooter, so the having 120fps on consoles is huge.

FootieGamer

Nov 3, 2017
If I wanted CoD, Assassins Creed or Watch Dogs for PS5, would it make sense for me to buy the PS4 version and then get the free upgrade to the PS5 version? It will be cheaper, no?

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
If I wanted CoD, Assassins Creed or Watch Dogs for PS5, would it make sense for me to buy the PS4 version and then get the free upgrade to the PS5 version? It will be cheaper, no?

It's been interesting watching the prices shift around a bit.

Watch Dogs Legion on TheGameCollection.com is £44.95 on PS4 and £49.95 on PS5 atm, even though the upgrade is completely free.

OP
OP
Bushido

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
I honestly expected a flood of "We're gonna be there day one too!" announcements/updates today, but so far absolutely nothing.

TheCommonDan

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna wait for reviews to drop but probably either Cyberpunk or Valhalla. Miles and Demon Souls can wait till price gets lowered

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
Wait, so Cyberpunk will have a PS5 sku at launch (with an improvement patch later)?

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
I think it's only a PS4 SKU with some basic enhancements out the door for PS5 and then the big improvement patch in 2021.
Got it, that's what I thought, I just realized I misread the categories in the OP. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they just release a PS5 copy once that big patch is ready next year.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Got it, that's what I thought, I just realized I misread the categories in the OP. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they just release a PS5 copy once that big patch is ready next year.

Ya, I wouldn't be surprised if they did this too. It'll be like a second wind of a relaunch when the PS5 stuff is ready to go as I'm sure for some, it'll seem like it's a new release.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you play Cyberpunk 2077 on your PS5 on November 19, you're still playing the PS4 version, only via backwards compatibility. You cannot deny that. The difference between that and the upcoming next-gen upgrade, scheduled for 2021, would be quite noticeable, if you ask me.
By this logic, you could say that ALL PS4 games will look better on PS5 if you play them once you get your hands on the machine later this year, regardless of if they get an upgrade or not.
Maybe? But they literally said:
But in any case you will be able to play the game on the next-gen from November 19 when the game releases and it will look better than on current-gen from that moment as well.
www.videogameschronicle.com

Despite its latest delay, Cyberpunk 2077’s ‘full’ next-gen version won’t release until 2021 | VGC

But it will ‘look better’ on day one…
I'm not arguing it won't look drastically better in 2021, but it also sounds like it may be benefitting from more than just PS4 legacy mode at launch. If you've seen them be clearer about this, fair enough though.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Maybe? But they literally said:

www.videogameschronicle.com

Despite its latest delay, Cyberpunk 2077’s ‘full’ next-gen version won’t release until 2021 | VGC

But it will ‘look better’ on day one…
I'm not arguing it won't look drastically better in 2021, but it also sounds like it may be benefitting from more than just PS4 legacy mode at launch. If you've seen them be clearer about this, fair enough though.
My opinion: it's PR stuff. Their game is going to be released at the same time the new machines from Microsoft and Sony hit the market, so of course, CD Projekt RED will promote Cyberpunk 2077 as a launch title for said machines, by telling everyone the game will look better on PS5 than on PS4 and better on Xbox Series X/S than on Xbox One. I mean, they literally tweeted this earlier today:

See? "Almost like a launch title, right?👀" They're just promoting their game. When the next-gen version of Cyberpubnk 2077 will be ready to be released at some point in 2021, things will be dfferent.

I'm not saying that the difference between playing the game on PS4/Pro or Xbox One/X and PS5 or Xbox Series will be inexistant. I'm just saying it won't be as significant as the next-gen patch will be next year. I'm sure someone like Digital Foundry or NX Gamer or any tech expert will do their job later this year and compare how much of an improvement the game will take advantage of when it's played on PS5 / Xbox Series, and then make another comparison next year when the update is released.