• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
The story is cool the characters are extremely likeable and VA is really really good, I loved how they are aware of their own flaws.
it`s full of LGBT+ representations and I wasn`t expecting it (even better since PS+ distribution helps spreading awareness).

One of the most enjoyable Platinum Trophies i got.
#TeamChandlo best Grumpus.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
It's a very nice game. Voice acting was great and it tied everything together. I loved the analog synth music, it had a deeper story than I expected, the humor was funny, and it just had fun characters all around.

It's up to the parents to decide whether it's fine for their kids... but personally I think it's fine for all ages, young kids wouldn't notice or understand the more troubling themes anyway, You need enough life experience to pick up on any of it. Just like animated films often contain jokes or more subtle theme development for adult. (I remember happy feet 2 had the most crazy dissonance among the audience with insanely dark themes, and social criticism throughout, kids noticing absolutely nothing there, except for one scene where they immediately started crying, the director went too far and shouldn't have been so explicit)

The game designers joked about a sequel in the speedrun video. I hope they're serious, I really want a sequel.

Spoiler warning, obviously...

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
It's a very nice game. Voice acting was great and it tied everything together. I loved the analog synth music, it had a deeper story than I expected, the humor was funny, and it just had fun characters all around.

It's up to the parents to decide whether it's fine for their kids... but personally I think it's fine for all ages, young kids wouldn't notice or understand the more troubling themes anyway, You need enough life experience to pick up on any of it. Just like animated films often contain jokes or more subtle theme development for adult. (I remember happy feet 2 had the most crazy dissonance among the audience with insanely dark themes, and social criticism throughout, kids noticing absolutely nothing there, except for one scene where they immediately started crying, the director went too far and shouldn't have been so explicit)

The game designers joked about a sequel in the speedrun video. I hope they're serious, I really want a sequel.

Spoiler warning, obviously...

The ending basically teases a sequel so I'm sure they want to do more with it.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I am really enjoying the game. I am getting close to the end and just finishing some of the side quests and working towards the Platinum now.

It is a lot of fun and really has a lot of character to it. I really enjoy all of the characters as well so far, especially Chandlo and Beffica.

Excuse my ignorance but who is the NB character? Not really sure I picked up on that yet, I am typically playing with my five year old so I miss dialogue every now and then. EDIT: I see it is Floofty, I dont believe I have interacted much with Floofty yet I guess. Not sure if I have done that side quest at all honestly.

Last edited:

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
I am really enjoying the game. I am getting close to the end and just finishing some of the side quests and working towards the Platinum now.

It is a lot of fun and really has a lot of character to it. I really enjoy all of the characters as well so far, especially Chandlo and Beffica.

Excuse my ignorance but who is the NB character? Not really sure I picked up on that yet, I am typically playing with my five year old so I miss dialogue every now and then.
Floofty, Snorpy's sibling.

Wish this game's soundtrack was on any of the streaming services; I experienced it through watching other streamers' playthroughs, but it's got a lot of heart, and the characters are really great.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Are there detailed spoilers I can read somewhere? I read some spoilers before that made me think the game was too dark for my tastes but based on the posts ITT I'm wondering if I misunderstood. Thanks all.

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
Are there detailed spoilers I can read somewhere? I read some spoilers before that made me think the game was too dark for my tastes but based on the posts ITT I'm wondering if I misunderstood. Thanks all.
i don't have a link on-hand for a detailing of the spoilers, but in my personal opinion the "darkest" the game gets can be compared to something like scooby-doo i think? it feels very "dark but in a way that's not so dark that it'd ever be inappropriate for kids". the general idea behind the dark stuff is:
the island is made up of bugsnax who want to assimilate you by making you eat them until you become one of them. you fight this by leaving two people behind to keep the island intact long enough for everyone else to escape, but the epilogue reveals that everyone including those two people made it out safely and are doing fine now, and they lie about the island to make sure no one goes there again. there's a post-credits teaser that implies the grumpinati are behind this and that they knew about the island all along.

the tone is honestly kind of dark for the ending, but really more in a "child-appropriate spooky" way than as anything Genuinely Upsetting. i think it's just that for people who aren't expecting the twist (though it's pretty noticeably foreshadowed) being taken by surprise makes it seem worse than it is.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
It is all my 8 year old cares about. Hes so bummed that the strabby plush isn't coming out until next year.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Strabby plush?
I'm all over that.

Yeah, I picked up on it when everyone referred to Floofy as they/them, but it wasn't until way later that I realized Floofty is made up from the colors of the NB flag. Such a nice touch.

54059caa-c4a2-4b3b-b59c-db6c24c94a0a
Oh wow.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
It was super fun, but it get a little repetitive at the end, there are not a lot of different way to capture the bugsnack....always came to the same most of the time.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I gotchu.

The "Big Twist" is that the Bugsnax are actually parasites. They aren't individual creatures that make up an ecosystem, they are one almost hive-like entity. Any Bugsnak can be any other bugsnak and their single minded goal is to be consumed so they can overtake their hosts entirely. They are insidious and patient and addictive. They make you want to eat them.

Lizbert (The character from the trailer) discovered Bugsnax on Snaktooth Island and got a group of people together to make an expedition. Among them are:

Lizbert's girlfriend and doctor, Eggabell
Affable and clumsy Filbo, Appointed Mayor of Snaxburg (the town built on Snaktooth Island) by Lizbert
Scientist Floofty (the NB character for those wanting to know)
Archeologist Triffany and her Farmer husband Wambus
Caring Gramble who thinks of Bugsnax as friends, not food.
Pop Star/One Hit Wonder Wiggle
Gossip Beffica
Conspiracy-Theorist Snorpy and his rad, fitness obsessed boyfriend Chandlo
Sketchy Con Artist/Used Anything Salesman Cromdo
Guru and Reviler of Bugsnax Shelda

Lizbert, in trying to save Eggabell falls into a chasm deep in the underground of Snaktooth Island and finds herself in The Undersnax. The core of the island that shows that it's all Bugsnax, all the way down. When she fell into the chasm, the Bugsnax force themselves down her throat until she is 100% Bugsnak, but in incorporating her she is able to assert her will and somewhat control them rather than losing herself. This however, causes the Bugsnax to retaliate, and the struggle between her control and theirs results in the island beginning to shake apart, causing all manner of natural disasters. Most notably, earthquakes.

With Lizbert and Eggabell gone and unable to catch Bugsnax for the town, and earthquakes starting to scare the residents of Snaxburg, on top of the numerous ideological and personal disagreements among the residents, they all slowly leave town to find their own ways around the island.

--------- This is where the game starts. This is just a main story recap section so feel free to skip if you don't want to read it------

A few weeks later You show up. The Journalist Lizbert invited to share the the discoveries of Bugsnax with the world (before she discovered the truth and was assimilated) There, you see a helpless Filbo exhausted from hunger and collapsed on the ground. He asks you to catch some Bugsnax for him, which you do. He marvels at your capabilities and invites you to town. On the way back, you meet Wambus trying to start his own farm by planting Bugsnax but is not having any luck. He has been able to replant the various Sauce Plants that lay around island though (such as Ketchup, Chocolate, Ranch etc) so has been surviving from that. You show you can catch Bugsnax and he agrees to go back to town to try farming again.

Once there, You conduct an interview with Filbo to try to learn what happened to Lizbert and the other Grumpuses. He then asks you to go to the other Grumpuses, figure out what they want so they'll come back to town and maybe you can figure out what happened to Liz. This is where the game really starts. You start bringing the Grumpuses back.

Beffica (who you meet on the way back to town) is totes bored of the town, makes you her new bestie and if you want her to return she wants GOSSIP. You have to stalk into Wambus' home in the middle of the night and catch him talking to a cactus facsimile of his wife to convince Beffica to return.

You head to the beach and find Floofty, who gives you an item that lets you choose where Bugsnax appear on people's bodies when you feed them, they asks you to turn their leg into a Strabby, then disappears to continue their research.

You then find Gramble, who before owned a barn full of Bugsnax that he wouldn't let anyone eat (until everyone left town and started raiding his barn) doesn't trust the town not to eat all his friends again, especially Wambus who was apparently a core part of doing so. But you help bring some of his lost friends back to him and he agrees to return.

Once these three have returned, Filbo hosts a party to celebrate, but Wambus and Gramble have a big fight over whether Bugsnax are pets or food and whether they can be planted or bred, and especially over what Wambus did to all of Grambles friends once Lizbert disappeared. This ends with them both storming off and Beffica living for this drama.

----Part Two---

Wiggle came to Snaktooth seeking a muse to prove she wasn't a one hit wonder. She's obsessed with Bugsnax and believes that by eating the right bugsnak and transforming her body she will trigger some spark of inspiration. Once you collect the snax she asks for she agrees to return.

Triffany is in some old ruins, studying the ancient grumpuses that lived on the island many years ago. She notices that their skeletons had some bones in their stomachs, but also notes that Bugsnax don't have bones (in fact, if you cut or cook them they turn to mush). She's too caught up in her research to head back to town. You help her discover some blocked caverns that suggest that the old Grumpuses used to bury their dead in dedicated chambers. In order to learn more, and also to reunite with her husband Wambus once you tell her he's back in town, she agrees to return also.

After these two return Filbo hosts a gather round the campfire where the grumpuses tell stories to each other. Rumours of cannibal grumpuses. Beffica even saw Floofty eating a leg. A loud noise is heard, Filbo heads off to the bathroom. You go to check in on him and hear a loud roar coming from the bathroom... but before the door opens you hear Filbo behind you! He says he just needed some air... so what was the noise?! You then hear another crash coming from one of the buildings but discover Chandlo who was just getting some supplies for him and Snorpy up in the mountains.

----Part Three----

The next day, you head to the mountains and find Chandlo and Snorpy living happily together. Chandlo would like to return but he won't leave Snorpy alone, and Snorpy is terrified of the Grumpinati spying on his every action. He won't even trust you until you help Chandlo find some of his basketballs, and Chandlo asks you to turn his limbs into Bugsnax that are especially good at climbing so that he can exceed his limits. Once you've helped him out, Snorpy trusts you enough to help him out. He wants certain body parts changed to Bugsnax to avoid the Grumpinati's spying e.g changing his teeth to Kwookies so that the fillings no longer exist to send them messages. Once you've done this, they both return to town.

You then head back to the ruins and find Cromdo (you can talk to him earlier but you can't help him until now) He thinks Bugsnax are his ticket for a get rich quick scheme and asks you to catch some for him, which you do and he returns.

After these three have returned, Filbo suggests you get an early night and rest. While asleep, you hear Beffica scream in the middle of the night and everyone wakes up. You find her and Gramble at the town entrance where they claim they saw a monster. The town sign has "No More Bugsnax" carved into it, and there are mysterious footprints that change between Grumpus footprints and Bugsnak footprints. The various residents start to voice their concerns and regrets for returning to town.

----Intermission----

During this, you have conducted interviews with the various Grumpuses and they have given you keys and objects that hint towards the fates of Lizbert and Eggabell. Through some video diaries you come to discover that Eggabell was deeply insecure and full of self doubt. Lizbert was a carer and provided her with Bugsnax but this made Eggabell feel worse as she felt that she was nothing but a burden on Lizbert. She resolved to become stronger on her own by training with Chandlo, and resolved to be able to catch her own Bugsnax without Lizbert's help. Lizbert worry that she is eating too many Bugsnax and is further concerned by the experiments that she and Floofty are undergoing, but Eggabell rebukes her, claiming that Lizbert only says these things because she's not the sole provider anymore.

----Part Four----

You head down past the beach to the Boiling Bay where you find Floofty, whose leg you transformed is now a peg leg. They have a theory that Bugsnax can be used to reproduce living matter. You feed them a Bugsnak and transform their leg which now returns (as a bugsnak). They marvel at the medical uses for Bugsnax and upgrades the device they gave you so now you can turn any Bugsnak transformed body part into any bugsnak that the grumpus has ever eaten. So, any of Floofty's body parts that have been transformed can now become a Strabby, or whatever Bugsnak you fed them to replace their leg. This means that all Bugsnax are similar in some way and can become each other. You help them with some more tasks but they conclude their research must be in town in order to continue.

You head past the ruins to the desert where you find Shelda, meditating and preaching against the VILE TOXINS that are Bugsnax. She asks you to break apart some Bugsnax and do some journey things before she agrees to return to town to further tell the citizens how dangerous bugsnax are.

You head to the mountain peak and find Eggabell, studying the area to try and find Lizbert. She refuses to come back to town and refuses your help as she considers everyone to be in danger and doesn't want to endanger you by having you help, but she does agree to let you help her after you prove your capabiilty. You find a door that requires three Grumpuses to stand on pressure plates and she asks you to get Filbo to help. He agrees and the three of you follow instructions in Lizbert's journal to attempt to open the door, but it doesn't work. You and Filbo return to town.

----Part Five----
Filbo hosts another party, and once you get everyone dancing another earthquake occurs. Everyone starts to freak out again and Eggabell shows up saying she knows how to open the door. You head with her and Filbo through the pressure plate door and both fall into The Undersnax

You and Filbo are separated from Eggabell but you find the Snaxquatch monster and follow it into a chamber where you see Lizbert, fully made of Bugsnak into some weird, spider-like monstrosity. She is barely a torso and head on top of a monster. She explains to you the true nature of the Bugsnax and her role in keeping the island from tearing apart, and how she is the Snaxquatch and has been using it to try and scare the Grumpuses into leaving the island. Lizbert is afraid she's can no longer control the Bugsnax and they're all now doomed. Eggabell shows up and forces herself into the Bugsnak monster creature to help Lizbert control them to give the grumpuses enough time to escape.

You and Filbo are flung to the surface where you find the citizens of Snaxburg fending themselves off from the Bugsnax. Depending on how many side quests you've done, how many Bugsnax you fed them and how well you perform in defending them, the residents may all live or die (except Filbo who always lives) and the survivors escape back to the mainland.

----Ending----
You turn your story of bugsnax in to the chief editor of the newspaper you work for, who informs you that you were fired and declared dead the second you left for Snaktooth. Post-credits there is a short scene where your boss is on a phone call with a mysterious voice, which implies that they know about Bugsnax and that there really is a Grumpinati pulling the strings.

The game ends with the two saying in latin:

"You Are What You Eat"
"All Come From Bugsnax"

So, touching on the DARK THEMES this game has, as others have said it's not huge. The parasites thing is "dark" but in your saturday morning cartoon style.

But imo, that's not the dark part. The true darkness of the game comes from the side-quests. Every side-quest chain in the game has you dealing with each Grumpuses obsession and dependance on Bugsnax. Each one is dealing with trauma and mental health struggles and are each filling that void in some way with Bugsnax. This is what makes me LOVE the game and where it goes from "fun game with cool story" to having real depth.

Quick rundown:

Wambus is obsessed with being a provider but struggles with farming the bugsnax as they can't be farmed, and he struggles in vain to try to understand how bugsnax work and how he can help. Ultimately he resigns to only being able to grow sauces and feels like a failure,

Beffica asks you to gossip on the various townsfolk and find out what they do in the night. She asks you to pry on people's private lives and give her info. She realises that this behaviour of hers drives people away and that she ruined her relationships with everyone on the mainland but also that she can't stop. Most of her bugsnak requests are Snakpods, which are little packets that don't move and can't run away.

Gramble asks you to donate Bugsnax to his barn so that he can recreate a sense of family, as he often offhandedly remarks on not having a family or understanding what that's like. Despite the constant nature of Bugsnax running away from him and not really caring about him or needing his care, he still uses them as a facsimile for family because he believes he doesn't have anything else.

Wiggle is obsessed with recapturing her 15 minutes of fame which she achieved by accident after a night of partying. She needs Bugsnax to give her that same rush of inspiration but realises that she is a fluke of a celebrity and no amount of bugsnax will ever make her feel that way. She is left without hope.

Triffany came to the island in search of clues about her grandmother who travelled to this island long ago. You help her on several expeditions but eventually find no evidence of her (despite several red herrings) and the mystery of her grandmother is left completely unresolved. She doesn't know how to proceed and will never have closure.

Snorpy feeds his own delusions and shies away from the outside world. Enabling him with bugsnax further pushes him into his shell, as well as causes him to feel he needs to hide things from Chandlo who won't understand. This hurts their relationship.

Chandlo is obsessed with personal strength and asks for bugsnax to give him the powers they possess, but no amount of bugsnax helps and he struggles with accepting that he has limits and may have already reached his peak.

Floofty's experiments are WAY off the deep end. It's clear that they cut off their own leg for science and their quest line ends with them being 100% transformed and about to remove their own head in order to proceed the experiment, before it gets stopped by someone else. Bugsnax empower Floofty into the most dangerous of experiments and self destructive behaviour.

Cromdo grew up without money and is obsessed with trying to get rich and feels bugsnax are his ticket, but when he realises how unfeasible it is he concludes "I guess since I grew up poor, I don't deserve to be happy" (or something to that effect, I don't quite remember)

Shelda preaches the taint of Bugsnax, but her quest asks you to donate bugsnax to her "purification" chamber. Next time you meet her, part of her has transformed into Bugsnax and she asks for more to be purified, ever denying that she has eaten them. After several rounds of this, she drops the guru facade and is disgusted by her own lack of self control and obsession with being seen as important and wise, especially when she can't live up to her own ideals.

When you finish each side quest line, every single grumpus is left off emotionally worse than they started... except for the fact that they have accepted their pain and struggles.

I think THIS, rather than the main story is what OP is getting at when he talks about the dark themes of this game not being for kids. It's definitely not aimed at kids with the mental health struggles and personal issues will go over their heads, but it also presents all these things in very relatable and sensible ways, which imo makes the game a really cool window and potentially an outlet for younger people to experience "adult" problems in a way that they can appreciate and understand.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking over if it was really for kids after I finished it. Somebody said it was written in the sort of Shrek tradition where there was stuff in there for adults, but I'm not so sure. It might be the other way around; Mostly for adults, but plenty of stuff to keep kids interested.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
the more i think about it the more it's probably my GOTY if not in my top 3. everyone had so much personality and it easily had the best voice acting I heard in a game so far this year

but I also don't remember anything else that came out in this shithole of a year so there's that.
either way, fantastic game.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I started it in between all my other games and liked what I played. I just beat the Spider-Man Remaster so I may focus in on Bugsnax for a pallet cleanser before continuing Miles Morales.

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
BOP! BOPSCICLE!

Game is good. I'm a sucker for anthropomorphic food, but the real highlight was the grumpus themselves.

Gotta say I appreciate the physical body the player character has despite being in first person. Looking at the shadow and seeing an animation of them holding the camera to their face is neat.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
So if you don't protect the Grumpuses in the final fight, they will die. One thing that fucked me up watching a video of this is how they're aware of being destroyed by them but at this point they are indifferent due to the mind control of the parasites making them say stuff like "nothing in life matters but Bugsnax".

Given the fact they are, quite literally, falling apart, the parallels to substance abuse and addiction can be drawn pretty easily there and it's some heavy stuff, but I appreciate in which way the twist is pulled off since it doesn't go out of its way to imply its an allegory for this rather than just being one way of interpreting how Bugsnax in-universe seemingly provide a supposedly easy solution to everyone's problems while actually being destructive as hell.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
So if you don't protect the Grumpuses in the final fight, they will die. One thing that fucked me up watching a video of this is how they're aware of being destroyed by them but at this point they are indifferent due to the mind control of the parasites making them say stuff like "nothing in life matters but Bugsnax".

Given the fact they are, quite literally, falling apart, the parallels to substance abuse and addiction can be drawn pretty easily there and it's some heavy stuff, but I appreciate in which way the twist is pulled off since it doesn't go out of its way to imply its an allegory for this rather than just being one way of interpreting how Bugsnax in-universe seemingly provide a supposedly easy solution to everyone's problems while actually being destructive as hell.
I plan on playing again and beating it a few times to get all the dialogue variations. Sounds like interesting stuff I missed.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017

I wasn't aware that's how the ending could play out. I already plat'd the game and deleted it to save room on the SSD...may need to revisit to see how the ending I got may be different.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

People just checking out the possible deaths tend to kill them all off in one run but in one discussion about the ending it sounded like the survivors will mourn the dead so having one of a pair die but not the other will produce even different dialog. That'd be a lot of work to see everything.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
BUNGER BUNGER BUNGER

I really, really loved Bugsnax. They really put something truly special together. The writing and voice acting were very strong. Also all of the different Bugsnax were absolutely perfect, their voices were fucking hilarious.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

It's beyond fucked. One of the more messed up things I've seen in a video game.