• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
The reach of Bugsnax knows no bounds!

The Dutch videogame website Gamer.nl and editor Erik Nusselder are asking gamers to vote for the song 'It's Bugsnax' in the 'Top 2000'. The Top 2000 is a national music list with the two thousand best songs ever, voted by the Dutch public. The goal is to get the Bugsnax-song in the Top 2000 of course.

I don't think people outside the Netherlands can vote for it, but its a pretty funny viral thing. If you're in the Netherlands, you can vote for it here.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to playing this.

The completionist nature of me is annoyed that I can't 100% areas the second I get to them and have to wait for new abilities and to go back later. Come on, I want to catch Homer's 10 foot hoagie!

I found a cheese. I managed to catch some Ice Cream Sandwiches by:

putting chocolate on the trap. Those little guys rush the trap and there's a catch window of 0.2 seconds before they crash into it. I grabbed them via the tripwire later once I unlocked that.

Finding characters in town after I complete their tasks can get annoying. They are not always at home.

FisherTea

May 24, 2020
Just 100% the game last night, had a really good time with it.

There was some stuff that the game could have done a better job explaining when it came to catching certain Bugnsax (had to resort to using a walkthrough for a couple), but otherwise it was a fun change of pace after playing Miles Morales.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this game was great for the first 3 or 4 hours, but as I get what I assume is towards the end, little things are starting to really annoy me (being set on fire, the lack of fast travel) which are dampening my enjoyment somewhat. When a character asks me to go fetch a snax for a side quest, it now feels like a bit of a chore rather than something fun to do.

If I had to rate it now I'd give it a low 7/10

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Man, the endgame is actually kinda hard. I'm already at the point of no return in the main story, so I'm trying to finish up the side quests and catch every bugsnax, but it's giving me some trouble. Great game though, I'm really glad it was a Plus game as I wouldn't give it a chance otherwise. It made actually start looking into indie games more on Playstation from now on.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really struggling to catch a hunnabee and I'm following the hints video that PS+ provides
Those were so easy to catch that I'd farm them to donate. I don't know what the video recommends but all I'd do was shoot one with peanut butter and the rest would come crashing down. Didn't use the trap at all.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
When you set your snack trap on the launchpad, make sure you aim directly at the hunnabee so that it starts tracking it. Should show up as a blue line instead of an orange one.
Those were so easy to catch that I'd farm them to donate. I don't know what the video recommends but all I'd do was shoot one with peanut butter and the rest would come crashing down. Didn't use the trap at all.
I managed to get them eventually. Just went and looked for a different batch of them and caught it in the first go lmao

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Cleaned up the Platinum last night but I had to catch about 70 Bugsnax to do the donation and change all the Grumpus' fully.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished a couple days ago, really liked this game a lot. The characters were all endearing, and different enough to stay engaging while retaining the same loop of catching snaks. In the gameplay itself, I appreciated that there's enough there (once you have most of the tools) for there to be multiple solutions, and a janky kind of looseness where enough experimenting could generally get a snak caught. That and enjoying the utter chaos of a chain reaction snak attack in very busy areas. The flailing around when you're on fire is amazing, as is when you're frozen!

And I really dug the story.
I appreciated the use of the Muppet aethetic and creative designs of the bugsnaks to ease the player in to a very human story about self doubt, coping mechanisms, and relationships. It's not subtle and maybe a bit hokey, but as I said above, really endearing and has a whole lot of heart. The characters all have a part to them that's very relatable, and they all got to interact with one another to a reasonable degree.

Plus the game is filled with gay icons! Which is so good that the characters can wear on their chest.

CoinStarDX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finished a couple days ago, really liked this game a lot. The characters were all endearing, and different enough to stay engaging while retaining the same loop of catching snaks. In the gameplay itself, I appreciated that there's enough there (once you have most of the tools) for there to be multiple solutions, and a janky kind of looseness where enough experimenting could generally get a snak caught. That and enjoying the utter chaos of a chain reaction snak attack in very busy areas. The flailing around when you're on fire is amazing, as is when you're frozen!

And I really dug the story.
I appreciated the use of the Muppet aethetic and creative designs of the bugsnaks to ease the player in to a very human story about self doubt, coping mechanisms, and relationships. It's not subtle and maybe a bit hokey, but as I said above, really endearing and has a whole lot of heart. The characters all have a part to them that's very relatable, and they all got to interact with one another to a reasonable degree.

Plus the game is filled with gay icons! Which is so good that the characters can wear on their chest.
Regarding your spoiler:
I loved that even characters who outright hated Floofty respected their pronouns.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
It has some bad warts like no fast travel and some annoying mechanics but overall it's a fun game. I enjoyed it so much that I beat it over a weekend with all side quests completed.

Also that soundtrack is low-key great! Especially the nighttime version of the town theme.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Instabug!

Finished the game and platinum today. Really enjoyed it. Some of the fire or ice bugsnax were a pain in the ass to remove the element before catching.

Is it just me or am I engulfed in flames?!

cheduff

Oct 27, 2017
What a wonderful little game. Got plat in one playthrough. Loved the music. Hope they make a sequel because I loved all the characters.

Nov 17, 2017
This is probably one of my favourite PS5 launch games - It's so good!

I'm a few hours in and I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes - It already seems to be taking quite a dark turn.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I really enjoyed this while I was playing it.... But in hindsight, I've gone right off it. The tone of the ending is completely at odds with everything that came before it. The logic wasn't always consistent (
why couldnt I use a Kweeble to prod the peelbug out of the log, even though the game hinted at it
). Also, my kid is currently watching Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs 2, and I'm shocked at how Bugsnax basically borrows a hell of a lot of ideas from it.

It's a really strange feeling. I've never enjoyed a game like that but then walked away and been like WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!!

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Some of the best voice acting I've heard in a long while, all memorable and many humorous. Snorpy's 'REDACTED' in his interview had me laughing so much.

I really enjoyed this while I was playing it.... But in hindsight, I've gone right off it. The tone of the ending is completely at odds with everything that came before it. The logic wasn't always consistent (
why couldnt I use a Kweeble to prod the peelbug out of the log, even though the game hinted at it
). Also, my kid is currently watching Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs 2, and I'm shocked at how Bugsnax basically borrows a hell of a lot of ideas from it.

It's a really strange feeling. I've never enjoyed a game like that but then walked away and been like WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!!

Are we talking about the
Grumpinatti/Journalist boss stuff?
or
The fight to escape and parting beach conversations, where the grumps resolve their conflicts and are comfortable with themselves?

I found the latter to be the whole setup of the game and paid off nicely, while the former was just a vaguely funny throwaway thing.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Some of the best voice acting I've heard in a long while, all memorable and many humorous. Snorpy's 'REDACTED' in his interview had me laughing so much.

Are we talking about the
Grumpinatti/Journalist boss stuff?
or
The fight to escape and parting beach conversations, where the grumps resolve their conflicts and are comfortable with themselves?

I found the latter to be the whole setup of the game and paid off nicely, while the former was just a vaguely funny throwaway thing.
It was the whole
Body horror aspect. They're parasites? It was already a bit weird that these muppets were talking about addiction ("How many bugsnax have you had?"), but the whole "They're evil, they are parasites, the island is absorbing anyone that ever visited" completely upturned the cutesy aspects
. The tone of the thing just never quite landed.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Just finished it and wrapped up the platinum. I wouldn't have even tried it if it hasn't been free. This was the first time I ever gave something a go just because it was free with PS+ and I am really, really glad I did.

It was a great experience that I will remember very fondly. It is a shame how the game was marketed because I imagine it put off a lot of people who might have been interested otherwise (me).

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
I finished this last week and ended up kind of lukewarm on it- felt like it was very broken mechanically in a few spots which hindered my enjoyment, but I enjoyed the characters and some of the themes the game covered. Really loved the soundtrack, that was a standout for me. It was the right length where I felt like I could see it through (I think the end of the game was overhyped for me which lead to some of my feeling it was a bit lackluster).

oggob

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney, Australia
So the only way right now to get the physical version is on Fangamer? That "we won't ship until Q1 2021" message might be a placeholder, but I can't afford for the game to arrive after Xmas.

When will it be on Amazon, Walmart and the like?

This! there have been an increase in games that get a "limited" print, then eventually get a wider release.

I'm not suggesting that Bugsnax will follow like other titles before it, but as someone who prefers my collection to be only from my region (where possible), I'm interested in whether this gets another release.

I just don't want it to be sold out like those limited editions that eventually show up on Amazon and Ebay a year later for $100. Fucking Nex Machina physical is $100.

Calling back to this from close to a month ago... whilst I'm not sure about other regions, but Bugsnax has been listed officially on one of Australia's bigger stores.

| PS4 | PS5 |

Looks to have a placeholder date of 31/03/21 and double the digital price at the moment, but I don't recall JB HiFi to ever list something that doesn't eventuate at some point. So I would suggest you will have alternate options to Fangamer and we won't have to worry about inflated prices.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Enjoyable game but has some jank. Like I picked up a quest item earlier in the game and it made me go back and pick it up again in order to use it.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I really like the theme for Frosted Peak. It sounds so motivational to me and nostalgically reminds me of the soundtrack to Bejeweled 2 on Ps3

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just finished it. I think it was overall a bit padded out with backtracking and repetitive quests, but I enjoyed it, especially the darker elements. Wouldn't have paid for it but a solid game as a PS+ "freebie."

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Woke up early and played this for about an hour. It seems pretty fun but I think I'm mostly playing because of the insinuations of it having some kind of "dark" ending. Game seems pretty damn twisted from the beginning though, to be honest.

WeWereGiants

Nov 8, 2017
Filbo is and will always be my friend.

Adored this from start to finish, the music was great, the characters were pretty well written and I enjoyed the gameplay way more than I expected.
Fire and Ice bugsnax were a little annoying and I would've liked a few more shortcuts throughout the world to cut down backtracking, but overall a very enjoyable game.

I also have the ending song stuck in my head

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, turning a NPC into nothing but meat alone makes it a horror game.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Filbo is and will always be my friend.

Adored this from start to finish, the music was great, the characters were pretty well written and I enjoyed the gameplay way more than I expected.
Fire and Ice bugsnax were a little annoying and I would've liked a few more shortcuts throughout the world to cut down backtracking, but overall a very enjoyable game.

I also have the ending song stuck in my head
Same here buddy

He's my new favorite video game character next to Kazuma Kiryu

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
It was the whole
Body horror aspect. They're parasites? It was already a bit weird that these muppets were talking about addiction ("How many bugsnax have you had?"), but the whole "They're evil, they are parasites, the island is absorbing anyone that ever visited" completely upturned the cutesy aspects
. The tone of the thing just never quite landed.

I'm with you on that. I think big tonal shifts like that work best if they come earlier and actually last. But this was like the final half hour of the game, if that. The game had a couple of really twisted tonal things, like

being able to force-feed Bugsnax to Gramble while he sleepwalks,

which is just awful in countless ways (but is required for two trophies).

I mean, turning a NPC into nothing but meat alone makes it a horror game.

Look, Beffica said her favorite Bugsnak was a Weenie Worm, so I just thought...

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
I liked the first 5 hours, but in the end, I'm a bit disappointed by the gameplay. I thought the puzzles of catching Bugsnax would be more clever and well-thought. It all seems undercooked.

The presentation, going from world, characters, dialogue is all great though.

Nov 17, 2017
Potentially stupid question but.... (Getting all the Grumps back to town spoilers)

Once you're past the point of no return are you able to mop up all the side quests and catches after it's done, or is there no coming back?

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Potentially stupid question but.... (Getting all the Grumps back to town spoilers)

Once you're past the point of no return are you able to mop up all the side quests and catches after it's done, or is there no coming back?
No going back. It plops you into an event to cap the game off. Tho I think after you conclude the story it pops you at the checkpoint before.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017

No coming back, thereotically, though I think it is possible (and you'd have to redo the final segment) depending on choosing a certain dialogue option after the fact.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

When you reload the completed save, it will be before the point of no return

Nov 17, 2017
Ah perfect, thanks guys!

Another spoilery question...

Is it worth doing the side quests before the ending? I was flicking through a trophy list and saw there's one for saving all the Grumpuses...is that tied to side quests or something else entirely?

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Ah perfect, thanks guys!

Is it worth doing the side quests before the ending? I was flicking through a trophy list and saw there's one for saving all the Grumpuses...is that tied to side quests or something else entirely?
Something else entirely. Aside from catching all the bugs you get 80 to 90% of the trophies from natural progression.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah perfect, thanks guys!

When I played at launch it was understood that completing their quest lines would make it so that trophy was easier to earn without relying on your skills during the end sequence. It's like a difficulty adjustment. I messed up for sure but wasnt penalized because I did everything for everyone.

Jul 14, 2018
Philadelphia
Ah perfect, thanks guys!

If you complete a character's side quest, they'll fight back against the bugsnax during the final battle at Snaxburg, making it virtually impossible for them to die unless you straight refuse to help them. I had one of my characters die, and it wasn't until I loaded back after beating the game that I realized I still hadn't finished their sidequest

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed this. It certainly overstayed it's welcome by the time I was mopping up trophies (though some of that is my fault for not peaking at the trophy list earlier and saving myself some time). Liked a lot of the characters and the charm never did quite wear off.

Some variation in Bugsnax would have been welcome and maybe some better UI implementation. Also, the tools themselves could be a little more tight and responsive.

On to the Pathless!

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I'm enjoying the game a lot for character development and story, though the gameplay itself is frequently convoluted and not as fun as I'd hope.

I noticed a lot of posts in this thread complaining about not being able to figure out how to catch certain bugsnax. Are people not aware of the objective guides in the tiles when you push the home button? I guess it probably wouldn't help for general catching but if there's something required for a quest the tile will tell you how to do it. I've used it twice now

The first time, when I got the lunchpad I was very confused about why I couldn't reach the windmills. I eventually worked my character up to them and still couldn't understand what to do, so looked at the tile and realized I wasn't supposed to be launching myself, but rather other things lol.

The other time was catching the stupid popcorn bugs, I managed one but couldn't get another one without the scorpion constantly setting my trap on fire. Looking at the tile it gave explicit instructions and I realized I was supposed to lead the popcorn away from the scorpion.

Anyway, I know it's not an overly difficult game, but it's handy to have and judging from some comments I just felt like some people didn't know about the feature.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Hey, I got stuck on Bugsnax and I have no idea if it's a bug (lol) or me doing something stupid.

I'm right at the start or no more than 30 mins or so in, when you need to catch two Shishkabugs. They're hiding in bushes and you're supposed to throw ketchup at the bush to make Bunger's run at it and scare the Shishkabug out, then catch them as they run to another bush.

There are only 2 Bungers in the area and they're both infinitely running into a tree. I keep throwing ketchup at them, throwing ketchup at the bush, bouncing on them, but no matter what they're stuck running into this tree. They completely ignore any ketchup even if it's one space away from them. Even on the rare occassion I get them to change direction by spamming a million ketchups they just spin around and run into the tree again. Since they're the only two Bungers in the area I can't get the Shishkabug out of the bush at all. Beyond that it seems one has disappeared as there's only one wiggling bush in the area, and the remaining one has moved away from where it originally was and is at the other end of the area to the Bungers, just to make things harder.

I can't seem to find any checkpoint system or restart option to go back to the start of this mission and speaking to the NPCs doesn't do anything either, I'm just stuck in this area with no way to proceed. Do I need to restart the game to fix this? Or am I being an idiot, this is supposed to happen and there's an easy way to get the Bungers moving again?

Last edited:

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Got the Platinum, what a great experience. Playing TLOU2 and Demon's Souls so it was a nice change of pace.

Same finished it up last night. The story kept me going as was interesting though did find it odd there was no comments on how they look once converted all parts to bugsnax. Also was surprised that the game had some good LGBT representation that didn't feel forced.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I got stuck on Bugsnax and I have no idea if it's a bug (lol) or me doing something stupid.

I'm right at the start or no more than 30 mins or so in, when you need to catch two Shishkabugs. They're hiding in bushes and you're supposed to throw ketchup at the bush to make Bunger's run at it and scare the Shishkabug out, then catch them as they run to another bush.

There are only 2 Bungers in the area and they're both infinitely running into a tree. I keep throwing ketchup at them, throwing ketchup at the bush, bouncing on them, but no matter what they're stuck running into this tree. They completely ignore any ketchup even if it's one space away from them. Even on the rare occassion I get them to change direction by spamming a million ketchups they just spin around and run into the tree again. Since they're the only two Bungers in the area I can't get the Shishkabug out of the bush at all. Beyond that it seems one has disappeared as there's only one wiggling bush in the area, and the remaining one has moved away from where it originally was and is at the other end of the area to the Bungers, just to make things harder.

I can't seem to find any checkpoint system or restart option to go back to the start of this mission and speaking to the NPCs doesn't do anything either, I'm just stuck in this area with no way to proceed. Do I need to restart the game to fix this? Or am I being an idiot, this is supposed to happen and there's an easy way to get the Bungers moving again?
Go back to the location before and come back to see if it resets or turn the game off and on again. If not, just do a reset. It's still the beginning of the game and lone a 10 minute loss at most.