• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Aww man that review format is cool! Kinda like reading a old Gamepro magazine.

gp.thumb.jpg.505e7ff24a8c666f10fd1aadb241b3d8.jpg

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I picked this up on a whim just because I was just personally interested in it , and it was way better than I expected. I wasn't originally even planning on reviewing it but found myself desperate to write about it once I had finished. It's good! It also has some real bite to it if you play with some of the hard mode options (Medals you can equip). It has some real strategy, a simple but well-told story with lots of neat character moments, numerous interesting side objectives, and a lovely soundtrack that's far better than it has any right to be. It really is the complete package.

Oct 25, 2017
I picked this up on a whim just because I was just personally interested in it , and it was way better than I expected. I wasn't originally even planning on reviewing it but found myself desperate to write about it once I had finished. It's good! It also has some real bite to it if you play with some of the hard mode options (Medals you can equip). It has some real strategy, a simple but well-told story with lots of neat character moments, numerous interesting side objectives, and a lovely soundtrack that's far better than it has any right to be. It really is the complete package.
It's funny how your review just barely preceded the new wave from the console ports. Did you happen to play a review copy console version, or was it really just total coincidence with the PC version?
Your review was very informative and enjoyable to read BTW. I was already pretty much locked in for a copy but it made me even more sure, along with Arlo's. I forget, in the review did you say you were a fan of Paper Mario? Some of the new reviews are apparently from newcomers to the (meta) series and it's always cool to see them enjoying the formula we have loved for years.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's funny how your review just barely preceded the new wave from the console ports. Did you happen to play a review copy console version, or was it really just total coincidence with the PC version?
Your review was very informative and enjoyable to read BTW. I was already pretty much locked in for a copy but it made me even more sure, along with Arlo's. I forget, in the review did you say you were a fan of Paper Mario? Some of the new reviews are apparently from newcomers to the (meta) series and it's always cool to see them enjoying the formula we have loved for years.

I did not play a review copy, just happened to pick it up on PC last month. And yea I'm pretty much squarely in the "lapsed paper mario fan" demographic, so I'm coming from the same place they devs (seemingly) were, lol.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the console releases and these reviews help invigorate the PC sales too. Game is great and enjoyed it a lot when it came out last year.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still super early on in the Switch release (like... < 30 minutes) but so far it's good. It feels right and the game looks so good on switch. Would def recommend to anyone looking for a good Paper Mario game that feels similar to the previous.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
The gamexplain review has some pretty big inaccuracies. Leif being a moth is pretty important to the plot and Vi is anything but timid.

Oct 25, 2017
I did not play a review copy, just happened to pick it up on PC last month. And yea I'm pretty much squarely in the "lapsed paper mario fan" demographic, so I'm coming from the same place they devs (seemingly) were, lol.
Ah got it. Haha yeah! "There are dozens of us!" Sometimes it seems like we're a dying breed. 😅 So it's good to know that some indies agree and we can play their work now!
Origami King looks to be another improvement from Color Splash, but I'm still wary that it will truly deliver, so I'm so glad Bug Fables exists to fill the niche. The closest prior was Undertale/Deltarune, which is honestly pretty close, but was kind of it's own thing that didn't satisfy certain things like parties, interesting interactive attacks and a longer story.

Edit:
The gamexplain review has some pretty big inaccuracies. Leif being a moth is pretty important to the plot and Vi is anything but timid.
Weird. Wonder why they made some mistakes. I remember it seeming a little off in some way but I honestly can't speak objectively on that at all since I still haven't played the game yet beyond a couple of minutes today before class.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
where did this come from? looks super good
The ether lol. Just like Undertale, indies don't really get press unless they're good, and when they do turn out good (and find the right critical mass of fans/media attention, in this case console release) they seemingly pop up out of nowhere. I was aware of the game I even when it was doing its Indiegogo but even then I think I forgot about it for a while until the middle of 2019, and in both cases I learned about it just because I'm a classic Paper Mario fan and have been on the lookout for a successor for years lol. You usually don't find these things before release unless you're already looking for them.

So what I'm saying is, it came from lots of sweat and hard work, but it makes sense most people didn't know about it now because indies don't have marketing budgets/departments.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
With these good reviews I guess I'll just have to give it a shot.

I just wish it wasn't so frikkin' ugly and devoid of pleasant character designs.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The ether lol. Just like Undertale, indies don't really get press unless they're good, and when they do turn out good (and find the right critical mass of fans/media attention, in this case console release) they seemingly pop up out of nowhere. I was aware of the game I even when it was doing its Indiegogo but even then I think I forgot about it for a while until the middle of 2019, and in both cases I learned about it just because I'm a classic Paper Mario fan and have been on the lookout for a successor for years lol. You usually don't find these things before release unless you're already looking for them.

So what I'm saying is, it came from lots of sweat and hard work, but it makes sense most people didn't know about it now because indies don't have marketing budgets/departments.
Also indie games, even great ones, usually don't get much coverage until they hit consoles. You'll rarely see metacritic scores for PC indies.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
It's great to see a game get a second life on console and getting more people to play it, but at the same time it always saddens me when nobody talks about it because it was PC only at first

yeah i know conflicting opinion! Anyway glad to see great scores

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Color me surprised. The art-style didn't look very good so I kinda dismissed it, but if it's legit good I might bite.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Just grabbed this! Stoked to play it. Love classic Paper Mario and I want to support and developer who is keeping that spirit alive. Plus, it seems this game really succeeds based on its own merits. Looking forward to diving in.

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Bought this today for Xbox, 249 SEK on Xbox compared to 319 SEK on Switch. Sure, it's not a dealbreaker, but it's still insane to me how these day one prices can differ that much.

Although I'm not complaining, since I prefer achievements over handheld anyway. I initially thought it was a Switch console exclusive.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
oooooh 86 meta for a small game like this is fantastic. im definitely considering it. does it have timing-based attacks and battles like in PM?

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
Also indie games, even great ones, usually don't get much coverage until they hit consoles. You'll rarely see metacritic scores for PC indies.

like im still amazed CrossCode isn't being considered a Shovel Knight/Hollow Knight tier classic indie, and i can only blame that on not having hit console yet. such a seriously high quality game still under the radar

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
oooooh 86 meta for a small game like this is fantastic. im definitely considering it. does it have timing-based attacks and battles like in PM?

It's actually 91 on the switch.

Granted, only 6 reviews. So that skews things. But I think this is worth looking into to scratch that Paper Mario itch if the series new direction isn't doing it for you.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
This is a great little game. It really scratches that Paper Mario itch that Nintendo have failed for years. I see what many are saying regarding lack of polish and visual appeal, but for an indie studio it's hard not to praise this. I will definitely see through to the end.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who isn't too happy with the direction of the newer Paper Mario games, I've decided to pick this up. Hope it delivers.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
like im still amazed CrossCode isn't being considered a Shovel Knight/Hollow Knight tier classic indie, and i can only blame that on not having hit console yet. such a seriously high quality game still under the radar

I mean, outside of Shovel knight, this has happened to almost every popular indie game.

Back in 2017 Hollow knight was basically an unknown even if it had achieved moderate success. It was only when it arrived on switch that it became a phenomenon. Same thing happened with Celeste and Undertale.

The only indies that have any sort of recognition beforehand are those with a company behind them or a really striking artsyle (Cuphead, Ori).

Same thing will happen with Crosscode. As soon as it hits consoles it will skyrocket in public perception.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

CrossCode was unbelievably polished in that early as beta they put out years ago, I can only imagine how much further its grown.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've played (the first chapter) it's so unashamedly Paper Mario that I'm surprised we've not seen a game like it before.

It's also reeeeeeally good.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I mean, outside of Shovel knight, this has happened to almost every popular indie game.

Back in 2017 Hollow knight was basically an unknown even if it had achieved moderate success. It was only when it arrived on switch that it became a phenomenon. Same thing happened with Celeste and Undertale.

The only indies that have any sort of recognition beforehand are those with a company behind them or a really striking artsyle (Cuphead, Ori).

Same thing will happen with Crosscode. As soon as it hits consoles it will skyrocket in public perception.
Celeste released on PC and consoles on the same date. And Undertale absolutely had a huge following before it hit consoles (except maybe in the Era bubble).

Crosscode deserves more love than PC gamers have given it though.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've played (the first chapter) it's so unashamedly Paper Mario that I'm surprised we've not seen a game like it before.

It's also reeeeeeally good.
I think it was the notion that "If I wanted to play Paper Mario, I'd play Paper Mario". That's what I felt at least, so I ignored it at first. But then I realized that didn't make any sense. If a game looks fun and interesting, that should be reason enough to play it.