• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
twitter.com

Consoles, May 28th! Bug Fables! on Twitter

“IT'S HAPPENING! Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling arrives on #Switch, #PS4, & #XBOXONE this May 28th! You can Pre-order #BugFables from May 14th onward! Learn a bit more here, and enjoy our #RPG love letter's trailer! https://t.co/fhfXay6FBp https://t.co/NtAZuaaga6”

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
That looks pretty cool and just like that it is already better than the last three Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games that we have gotten. How depressing.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I have never played Paper Mario. So can someone recommend this to a JRPG fan as is? Does it standalone as a good experience?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i wouldn't call this game a paper mario successor, it looks fun tho. i have to say i'm not a fan of how the bug designs are pretty much exactly like hollow knight designs.

Stardew Valley is the spiritual successor to Harvest Moon. That isn't made by the original team.
stardew valley is not a spiritual successor to harvest moon. it's not any kind of successor as it did not succeed that series. a spiritual successor is something like demon's souls --> dark souls.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
What a silly thing to get hung up on. Everyone understands what the title's trying to say.

Anywho, this looks pretty neat. Might finally give it a go on NSW.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
That's not how it works

Uh...

A spiritual successor, sometimes called a spiritual sequel, is a successor to a work of fiction which does not build upon the storyline established by a previous work as do most traditional prequels or sequels, yet features many of the same elements, themes, and styles as its source material, thereby resulting in it being related or similar "in spirit" to its predecessor.[1][2]

Where does this say: "Also needs to be created by the original creators"?

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh good i was hoping would have a conversation about what the phrase "spiritual successor" means

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Regarding the actual topic, I've been anticipating this game for a while, and am looking to finally playing it. UnderHero was slightly similar to Paper Mario gameplay-wise, and I enjoyed that. Anxious to play this now.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Uh...

A spiritual successor, sometimes called a spiritual sequel, is a successor to a work of fiction which does not build upon the storyline established by a previous work as do most traditional prequels or sequels, yet features many of the same elements, themes, and styles as its source material, thereby resulting in it being related or similar "in spirit" to its predecessor.[1][2]

One guy's definition isn't proof. Especially since by that logic, Final Fantasy 7 is technically a spiritual successor to previous final fantasies since it isn't built on the story line of previous final fantasy games and it's definitely not a sequel or prequel

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Uh...

It's funny you're using Wikipedia as a source on this considering every example of a spiritual successor named on that page emphasizes that the original works and spiritual successors share creative teams.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Not really into the character designs, but the trailer alone is still better than all of sticker star and color splash.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
The Steam reviews for this are overwhelmingly positive (98%) after 703 reviews, so as a big traditional Paper Mario fan I'll definitely be picking this up on Switch.

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Been waiting patiently for this! The Switch version is as good as bought if it was ported well. Guess we'll see.

Oct 25, 2017
I've never before heard the insinuation that a spiritual successor has to be made by the original creators. Like, it can be, but the important takeaway has always been that it carries the predecessor's spirit.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny you're using Wikipedia as a source on this considering every example of a spiritual successor named on that page emphasizes that the original works and spiritual successors share creative teams.

It does yet it's own definition doesn't even mention that. Hell even TvTropes (if just to give another location) only says "may" be created by the same creators but not required.

Feels like people just decided it meant that despite it never actually be written in the definition.

Likely a form of gate keeping since people probably don't want games they may not like to be considered Spiritual successors to game they did like.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how about that Bug Fables game

Or if the devs are getting paid

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
Oh man I've been meaning to check this out! It coming to the Switch gives me the perfect excuse to pick it up.

Also I second never having heard the term spiritual successor be used only with the same dev team.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I read the title too fast and thought it was a sequel to paper mario :(

donny2112

Oct 27, 2017
The term "spiritual successor" most recently comes up when the original team loses the license, but still makes a game in the similar vein as the previous game. Goldeneye -> Perfect Dark
Goldeneye -> Timesplitters
Banjo-Kazooie -> Yooka-Laylee
Castlevania -> Bloodstained
MegaMan -> Mighty No. 9

I don't think "spiritual successor" is a technical term, though, so trying to rigidly codify its meaning probably isn't going to go anywhere. Believe this game would be better served to say it's in the Paper Mario style, though. The other examples tend to be series that can't continue for whatever reason, whereas Paper Mario is still going on and there's even a rumor of a return to form Paper Mario coming to Switch.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I'd really like to know if the devs are getting paid. Then I'm psyched because I've been really looking forward to this game for a while. Phil32 after you play it, I'm gonna bug you to ask if it's super similar to Underhero in battle system. I love Paper Mario but I get burned out sometimes playing more than one similar kinda game in a short time.

Also count me in for a plug at Underhero, with a wonderful Paper Mario-esque battle system, fascinating story, compelling characters and excellent music.

EUYlC0tVAAcaqvz

Semi-OT here:

www.resetera.com

Underhero (RPG-platformer) trailer (Now officially the unoffical OT)

Underhero is an RPG-platformer where the chosen hero has failed, and an underling of the evil king reluctantly takes his place as the new hero. Use timing-based combat to defeat enemies as you venture across the land, face off against quirky bosses, and save the Chestnut Kingdom from your own...

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I've been waiting for this announcement. I love (the first 3) Paper Marios, and the Steam reviews are glowing, so this is a day 1 purchase.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I'd really like to know if the devs are getting paid. Then I'm psyched because I've been really looking forward to this game for a while. Phil32 after you play it, I'm gonna bug you to ask if it's super similar to Underhero in battle system. I love Paper Mario but I get burned out sometimes playing more than one similar kinda game in a short time.

Also count me in for a plug at Underhero, with a wonderful Paper Mario-esque battle system, fascinating story, compelling characters and excellent music.

EUYlC0tVAAcaqvz

Semi-OT here:

www.resetera.com

Underhero (RPG-platformer) trailer (Now officially the unoffical OT)

Underhero is an RPG-platformer where the chosen hero has failed, and an underling of the evil king reluctantly takes his place as the new hero. Use timing-based combat to defeat enemies as you venture across the land, face off against quirky bosses, and save the Chestnut Kingdom from your own...
The battle system is almost exactly like Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door.