• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019

Speaking of which, has anyone come forward about what Joss was like on the set of Firefly? There is the possibility with the short lived nature of the series that they didn't have the chance to see Joss's shittier side which would probably be the only good thing about Firefly's cancellation.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
What a piece of shit. He needs to be held accountable. I wonder how connected he was with Harvey Weinstein?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of which, has anyone come forward about what Joss was like on the set of Firefly? There is the possibility with the short lived nature of the series that they didn't have the chance to see Joss's shittier side which would probably be the only good thing about Firefly's cancellation.

I think Firefly was mostly Tim Minear's show. Joss directed like 3 episodes and got writing credits on them all but I think it was mostly left to Minear to run.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
How the fuck did he get away with doing two Avengers movies with no incidents? Maybe he was fired after Ultron after all.

Hope the victims find peace

Those were much bigger actors, and a huge Hollywood production. Think he didn't really have as much power to say compared to working with small budget TV productions where he got to boss around "nobodies". I kinda doubt he would have gotten away with such behavior with someone as high up as Scarjo

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

I can't recall anything.

The cast make up is fairly different though (more men, women seem a bit older than on Buffy for the most part, though I guess that's also true with Angel...). It's possible he was rarely in a position to show his worst there.

Oct 27, 2017
He basically ruined a season and a half of the show Angel just to fuck with and harass Charisma Carpenter for getting a pregnant. What a piece of shit.

Oct 27, 2017
Put some thoughts in the other thread but does anyone remember how Joss Whedon was really excited to meet Ronald D Moore. And RDM apparently only said like two words to him and blew him off. That's a vague memory from an interview and probably a bit of headcanon.

oj8hw1hbbb2ocxlm0ted.jpg

You're the only good one left.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
What makes this so much worse is Whedon never apologizing. I know running a show can be super stressful and the stress could have an affect and lead to people acting in ways they normally wouldn't. But after things calm down I expect them to realize the hurt they caused and desire to make amends. Whedon doesn't seem to give a shit. Which means this seems to be his true nature.

It's tough when something you love, that means something to you, ends up being the work of someone you find antithetical to yourself.

Ender's Game was like that in science fiction novels for a lot of people. It's an amazing work that's now attached to a pretty questionable author.

Kind of like Hyperion is a Sci-if classic that is now tainted because Dan Simmons is a raging right wing douche (unless he's changed).

Last edited:

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of like Hyperion is a Sci-if classic that is now tainted because Dan Simmons is a raging right wing douche (unless he's changed).
I never knew this and that's kinda weird because from what I remember of Hyperion it was incredibly pro-environment. But looking it up he's a climate change denier and mocked Greta Thunberg? That is shocking to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of people used to seriously use it to defend liking, and continuing to support Harry Potter. I'm a bit tired of hearing "it's just a joke bro" when someone's called out on something.

I didn't say it's "just a joke bro." I acknowledged that it was joke, that's different. and nobody in my circles used it that way, so I was asking. thanks

edit: also very sorry that you are a bit tired.

ironjoe

Jan 26, 2018
NYC
It's interesting to see that Whedon was a shitbird very early in his career. Most people need a high level of success to really let their baser impulses go.

On the topic of Dan Simmons, some of his other works, particularly Carrion Comfort, shows he was never a very good guy. There's a whole section in Philly that just reeks of racism.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
I never knew this and that's kinda weird because from what I remember of Hyperion it was incredibly pro-environment. But looking it up he's a climate change denier and mocked Greta Thunberg? That is shocking to me.

I wonder if he was always this way. 9/11 made a lot of people go crazy.

edit: ^^^^^^^ well answers that question.

Mxlegend99

May 20, 2018
nah nah, you don't get to so you can consume media the person still profits from guilt free.
Dont the actors (including the victims) also profit from it? It's still their work too.

Couldn't really care less about Harry Potter. But for Buffy, Angel, Firefly etc. Alot of great people were involved and their work was far too good to ignore. I don't feel any guilt in still loving those shows. Afterall it's the characters I grew attached to. Xander. Spike. Angel. Mal. Buffy..Cordelia. Lorne. Wesley. Lindsay. Etc.

That said I couldn't ever watch anything he is attached to in future. Not that I expect he will have a future career now. But i became fans of those actors and follow their work thanks mostly to being introduced to them through these shows.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dont the actors (including the victims) also profit from it? It's still their work too.

Couldn't really care less about Harry Potter. But for Buffy, Angel, Firefly etc. Alot of great people were involved and their work was far too good to ignore. I don't feel any guilt in still loving those shows. Afterall it's the characters I grew attached to. Xander. Spike. Angel. Mal. Buffy..Cordelia. Lorne. Wesley. Lindsay. Etc.

That said I couldn't ever watch anything he is attached to in future. Not that I expect he will have a future career now. But i became fans of those actors and follow their work thanks mostly to being introduced to them through these shows.

Unlikely outside of syndication, or if they were a big enough start to get executive producer credit (sometimes happens in later seasons).

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
So are any of the Avengers stars going to speak out about this?
I wonder how Eliza Dushku will respond to this - I was under the impression she liked working with Joss
Joss, based on from what I've seen as far as responses from celebs that said only positive things, particularly the Avengers cast and some of the TV shows he worked on (Alan Tudyk for example), combined with some of the bad stories as we've seen (putting it lightly), seems to be the type of guy who acts this way for two main reasons:

1) He believes his contributions give him carte blanche, as the letters his wife talks about and his gross behaviors and attitudes towards woman began after Buffy the Vampire Slayer began. A show viewed as major feminist pop culture, he himself viewed as a major male feminist figurehead. He can get away with some of this because in the end the way he writes them is "powerful" because his fans will defend him as a feminist.

2) A control freak. Shit doesn't go his way, he gets pissy, berates people, goes off. Based on some earlier posts in this thread regarding James Marsters, the Charisma Carpenter situation, what Ray Fisher cites on Justice League, and honestly I remember the way the production on Age of Ultron was coming out of it after it released, articles made the behind the scenes on it sound not great. Then again, Feige took over Marvel Studios right after it.

Keep in mind I'm not excusing any of his behavior. It's completely disgusting, but I'm just saying based on the interviews and what people have said, that's where I'm guessing this shit comes from. If you want to know why some people genuinely speak positively and it isn't just the men, it's probably because he had complete control of whatever he was working on and they were like "cool."

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This really sucks, and while the 'official' word was always anti-Charisma - I don't know many fans who ever bought into that narrative. It's not like it was just her, you could see on the screen how behind the scenes bullshit fucked over Emma Caulfield as well.

I think this is a different situation than a Rowling though - Buffy wasn't just Joss, same way Avengers and Toy Story aren't just Joss. However it is viewed today, it was an important and influential show for the gay and feminist community of the time, it opened doors and television after Buffy became a more inclusive and better place for those groups because of it.

So mentally, I'm struggling - I don't really have a personal connection to Potter the way I do with Buffy, so maybe I'm just going through what Potter fans went through when the cognitive dissonance of disliking the creator vs. wanting to enjoy the work is just too great.

Was there any indication of something going on behind the scenes when it came to Emma Claulfield?

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
It's just bloody disappointing to re-confirm again that Whedon is a bastard.
It must have been difficult for the actresses to have to pretend that everything is fine on camera and even speak praises publicly about how great it was to work together, for 20 years.

Hollywood is like one big Taco Bell with no other competition. If you speak up and get fired you can't just hope over to Mcdonald's and continue working in the same role. Actresses and actors would probably be branded as being difficult and talentless and will find it hard to work again.

I hope Joss Whedon never gets work again.

I think he *might* have survived the Ray Fisher thing with the way WB tried to bury it. This thing combined with that, not so much. He's gonna be lucky to direct music videos for Limp Bizkit after this.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think he *might* have survived the Ray Fisher thing with the way WB tried to bury it. This thing combined with that, not so much. He's gonna be lucky to direct music videos for Limp Bizkit after this.

I think the Ray Fisher incident is already a strong stake to the coffin, given how Warner , according to Fisher, tried to focus the blame on him and Jon Berg, to lessen and to divert attention from Geoff John's.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

He's a rich white man.There's a non 0 chance that he just waits 5 years and is back to directing his actor friends again. Or continues to write movies while studios downplay or obscure the fact it's him.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017

Then just own up to it, and say you watch it in spite of it being crated by joss wedon. Don't say "tee hee, some vocod star totally wrote and directed the avengers" so you can enjoy it guilt free. Say you support the actors, and everyone else who made it. There's nothing wrong with that. (general you, not you you)

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You can't divorce the show from the conditions it was created under and the mind it came from, I'm afraid.

I certainly wouldn't say that you're required to cut everything with Whedon's name on it out of your life, but the proper and reasonable thing to do is to try and reconcile the quality of the art with the horrible nature of the artist rather than pretending that he had nothing to do with it just for the sake of you feeling better.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe that blog post with the premise of "This analysis of Firefly shows why I feel like Joss Whedon is probably a rapist who beats his wife" from 2008 was right all along

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
I still can't believe that blog post with the premise of "This analysis of Firefly shows why I feel like Joss Whedon is probably a rapist who beats his wife" from 2008 was right all along

This and "what about Emma Caulfield?" style posts need to not be a thing. What we know is bad enough, speculating on this stuff like you'd speculate on a mystery show is some creepy ass shit.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Meant to say yesterday that it felt like the flood gates had opened against him. Hopefully he doesn't get any sort of redemption run in a year or two after all the damage he's done.