• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The common scenario I've heard in homes is people cleaning up a lot of pet urine with bleach though I've never been clear what sort of volumes are being talked about.

Still makes me triple check before cleaning up after a pet.
A lot of people just dump shit in the bucket when they mop or when they clean toilets. The toilet is how I discovered this harsh, horrible combination back when I was a teenager. I had the awareness to GTFO quickly though, and I generally clean with the windows open just to get the smells out anyway.

Someone tossing some shit with bleach in a bucket to disinfect the floors or countertops that raw meat touched isn't unimaginable to me.

B_Spooky13

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
When i was mopping up a store, there was a little bleach when i put in ammonia.. I was able to dump it and rinse quickly. But it steams and hurts. Just the couple of seconds of breathing it sucked

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

One person was killed and 10 other people were sickened in a chemical accident at a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant Thursday in Burlington, Massachusetts, authorities said.
A restaurant employee was rushed to a hospital after being exposed to sodium hypochlorite, a powerful cleaning agent, and died shortly thereafter, Michael Patterson, assistant chief of the Burlington Fire Department, told reporters Thursday night. The worker told firefighters who arrived on the scene that he was feeling nauseated after breathing in fumes.
"Anyone who was in the restaurant at the time and believes they may be impacted by the incident should seek medical treatment immediately," the fire department said in a statement.
-------------------
"What we believe happened is a worker at Buffalo Wild Wings used a cleaning agent on the floor. The cleaning agent is Super 8. The chemical definition or chemical identification is sodium hypochlorite," Patterson said. "What sodium hypochlorite is a high concentration of chlorine."

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
A quick search and it looks like it's supposed to get heavily dilluted and and usually used in cleaning dishwashers and stuff. If they just threw some in the floor, I can see why this might have gone badly.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn wonder if it was trying to clean up piss in the bathroom. I found that out the hard way with bleach and urine.

One person was killed and 10 other people were sickened in a chemical accident at a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant Thursday in Burlington, Massachusetts, authorities said.
A restaurant employee was rushed to a hospital after being exposed to sodium hypochlorite, a powerful cleaning agent, and died shortly thereafter, Michael Patterson, assistant chief of the Burlington Fire Department, told reporters Thursday night. The worker told firefighters who arrived on the scene that he was feeling nauseated after breathing in fumes.
"Anyone who was in the restaurant at the time and believes they may be impacted by the incident should seek medical treatment immediately," the fire department said in a statement.
-------------------
"What we believe happened is a worker at Buffalo Wild Wings used a cleaning agent on the floor. The cleaning agent is Super 8. The chemical definition or chemical identification is sodium hypochlorite," Patterson said. "What sodium hypochlorite is a high concentration of chlorine."
Jeez, maybe he was mopping up piss.

Christ, I never even knew that could happen....

Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
I guess I've never had any reason to think about it, but I had no idea that bleach and ammonia was a dangerous combo.

According to other articles another coworker originally was working with the chemicals and must have made some mistake. And the poor guy who died was trying to squeegee it out of the door when he sucumbed, probably to save everyone.
Just awful, poor guy.

Kodoku

Sep 20, 2019
According to other articles another coworker originally was working with the chemicals and must have made some mistake. And the poor guy who died was trying to squeegee it out of the door when he sucumbed, probably to save everyone.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Oof. Super8 is a bleach adjacent (sodium hypochlorite) sanitizing compound for food contact surfaces and wasn't meant to be used on floors, so yeah.
It was basically Bleach + Ammonia

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chlorinated cleaners are quite effective and quite dangerous. This shouldn't have even been a possibility in a restaurant like bw3. They fucked up bad.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
When I worked in a kitchen I had to stop people from both mixing cleaning chemicals and using them full-strength.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that's terrible. Reminds me of the time on my first job I was cleaning the floor with some ammonia cleaning agent and was about to pour bleach on it and my boss took it away from me and warmed me I was about to kill myself.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if this is going to come back to some bad decisions made at the management/corporate level on training and purchasing.

I just had no idea. If anything I hope this guy's death can make people more aware. Just found this article which is helpful: https://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/16-common-product-combinations-you-should-never-mix
I like how that list had an ineffective cleaning combo and leaking batteries mixed in between combos that could cause liver failure and death.

Simple rule of thumb: never mix cleaning or chemical products with anything but water.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That's a horrible way to go. RIP to the victim, and I hope the others that were hospitalized recover.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Chlorinated cleaners are quite effective and quite dangerous. This shouldn't have even been a possibility in a restaurant like bw3. They fucked up bad.

In most states, chlorinated cleaners are one of the only "food safe" options. It can be safe and harmless, but only if used strictly and properly.