• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

A grand jury has dismissed assault charges against two suspended Buffalo police officers who were filmed last summer pushing an elderly protester who fell to the ground and went to the hospital with a brain injury.
Support our journalism. Subscribe today.
At a Thursday news conference, Erie County District Attorney John Flynn did not explain the jury's decision-making, emphasizing that the proceedings are secret as he anticipated backlash to the outcome of the high-profile case. Graphic video of the incident quickly went viral in June amid protests and intense criticism of police use of force following the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis. After he is pushed, 75-year-old Martin Gugino falls backward onto the pavement, motionless and bleeding.
Flynn repeatedly said that he did not "sandbag" the case that sparked both a public outcry against police violence and a rebellion within the Buffalo Police Department. Dozens of officers resigned from a special squad over the decision to suspend Officers Aaron Torgalski and Robert McCabe.
"All the evidence was presented at grand jury," Flynn said Thursday. "And the grand jury did their job. And so I apologize for nothing. I would not make any changes in any of my decisions, going back to when this happened."
The district attorney defended his decision last June to charge the officers with felony assault within days of the incident. He said he would not "tell you that, in my opinion, the right thing happened here."
"Because I still believe that a crime was committed," Flynn added.
Authorities pursued felony charges because of New York law on assaults in which the alleged victim is 65 or older while the alleged perpetrators are at least 10 years younger, Flynn said.
Flynn said he would not try to even hint at how the grand jury came to its decision but said the video was "the main piece of evidence on day one" and remains the primary evidence today.
"The video that was taken speaks for itself," he said. He added that he put multiple witnesses before the grand jury and that "society made the decision, not me."

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
In DC they held insurrection's hands so they wouldn't slip and fall on the stairs on their way out of ransacking the Capitol.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What does a cop have to do to get convicted for something like this? Guess it depends on who they attack.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Its gone so far now that you cant even get a whiff of justice for White victims either.

Juries won't hold these fucking assholes accountable for anything anymore. System is completely running amok at this point. No checks, no balances.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
I remember the vid pretty well. That was a real and heavy fuck off shove. Completely unnecessary.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Remember, grand juries don't make these kinds of decisions. Prosecutors deny them the opportunity to. It takes virtually no effort on a prosecutor's part to get a grand jury to indict. This is 100% the fault of the prosecutor.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If police can make an old white man bleed from his head without any repurcussions then white Americans need to wake up big time.

(As if we didn't sound the alarms centuries ago).

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Gugino was violating curfew at the time, Flynn said Thursday, and "had no business approaching these police officers." But the district attorney said he should not have been shoved.

"He should have been arrested, grabbed and peacefully walked off the steps of city hall," Flynn said. "But again, that didn't happen."
*eyeroll*

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
And people wonder why cops act the way they do and feel like they can get away with anything. Society constantly tells them over and over again that whatever they do is fine and justified.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
cops can and have break into a house in the middle of the night and shoot and kill someone who was asleep and not face charges. this is not a functional system.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Why do I get the feeling that we will find out that the prosecution withheld other evidence or the grand jury was misled? Or worse members of the grand jury knew the victim, didn't like him, and weren't dismissed? With everyone knowing about police violence against unarmed civilians, I find it fishy that a grand jury wouldn't pursue charges against the police.

Has It be mentioned the composite of the grand jury?

Last edited:

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
75 year old man breaks curfew by 5 minutes? Better fucking crack his head open.

Fuck these pigs. They can get away with anything. This happened like 5 minutes away from my house.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The prosecutor deliberately buried this; Grand Juries follow their lead. The whole way charges are laid in these cases is flawed. Prosecutors are simply a different type of cops, so they shield fellow cops from consequences. Yet another part of the system that needs comprehensive reform.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Not surprised. I guess we'll find out later if the DA is as innocent as he claims in this article.

A Buffalo police statement initially said that a man was injured when he "tripped and fell" during "a skirmish involving protesters." Then the video emerged.
This is the part I always remember most about this incident. Bold faced lying to the press.