• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Admittedly I haven't played the game but in general I wonder how post apocalyptic characters get so buff with so little protein.
Hunting, farming, growing. All of which are more than possible in post-apocalyptic settings.

Abby specofically has access to a huge gym and a large community with livestock and abundant food.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
I think the problem actually comes with her face. Every example posted here usually depicts someone face features that are socially conceived as feminine or good looking while Abby has more rougher features closer to what the media and cinema usually assigns to bullies or villains.

Maybe whe should actually discuss if society and designers can accept/depict non-standard female character design.

Last edited:

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
oh yeah, Darli Dagger is pretty buff
rbkxi.png

them's ship building abs

My second favorite new fighting game character this generation.

OHCOMMON

Banned
May 15, 2020
People don't really complain about muscular women, they complain about abby because the game seems to be very grounded and realistic (other than the shroom zombies) but her body kinda makes no sense in context

astro

Oct 25, 2017
People don't really complain about muscular women, they complain about abby because the game seems to be very grounded and realistic (other than the shroom zombies) but her body kinda makes no sense in context
Lol, here we go...

Her body makes perfect sense unless you just ignored the explicit things they showed and told you in game.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Gottah say, reading those Artstation comments made me super disappointed in the artstation community I am a part of. I am def avoiding working with some people in the future based on some of their comments. It show we still have a long way to go

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
2914058-9980412219-mary_.jpg

Mary from Tobal

Also
DvC40YSX0AAYNPO.png

Doris from Wild Guns Reloaded

Also Abby makes perfect sense lmao. She's part of a military unit. She gets buff the same way as anyone else.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Can only imagine you haven't played the game if you think it makes no sense in context...

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
So I personally didn't play the Last of Us 2 but it seems like there has been a lot of bullshit regarding assholes hating on a new female character introduced in the game because she dared being a woman withl defined muscles :

There should always be more buff women in videogames but for now let's celebrate those who already exist !

Agree with everything you said 100%, but just so you know - that link (Abby on Artstation) leads to a big spoiler for the game, so maybe put a note warning people.

OHCOMMON

Banned
May 15, 2020
Lol, here we go...

Her body makes perfect sense unless you just ignored the explicit things they showed and told you in game.

? kinda missed whatever you talking about, care tell tell me ?

the fuck are you talking about, how does a buff woman makes no sense?

Really curious to hear your dumb answer...

i said it makes no sense in context, she has some serious bodybuilding muscle mass that would be near impossible to achieve in a post apocalyptic world.

also stop being rude

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017

Care to explain why? The game fully explains how and why she is that Buff. They show the area where she lives and that they are both farming and have plenty of livestock. There is even the gym she trains at.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I like many of the examples shared here - but I do feel that many of the examples shared also underline why Abby's got criticized while many of these didn't.

Many of the buff women shared in this thread still have the element of "the gaze" with exposed midriffs being the most obvious aspect.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ayla from Chrono Trigger is kind of defined.

I think they made Samus with her ZSS in Smash Ultimate more defined as well.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wtf? What a strange complaint. It's not like she's whatsherface from Danganronpa ( great character btw).

Admittedly I haven't played the game but in general I wonder how post apocalyptic characters get so buff with so little protein.

On the flip side how does any character carry some of the weapon loads we see.
In game
she lives in a place with a fully functioning gym and livestock
, so it makes sense in context. If she was on the run etc it wouldn't make much sense.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
? kinda missed whatever you talking about, care tell tell me ?
How the fuck did you miss it?
1. She was on a revenge quest and talks, multiple times in flashbacks about her obsession to train. Her revenge was a fierce motivator.

2. We see her walk past a HUGE gym, livestock and a massive store of hanging meat, a farm area with lots of food.

What were you doing when this was all shown and told?

bert muscle

Aug 15, 2018
Thanks for making this thread OP. One of the reasons I'm drawn to Abby is because of her design. Girls that lift are cool.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Abby in TLOU2 felt really refreshingly unique to me, as someone who hasn't really been exposed to buff women in videogames. I really enjoyed playing as her and really appreciated what ND did with her character design.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
i said it makes no sense in context, she has some serious bodybuilding muscle mass that would be near impossible to achieve in a post apocalyptic world.

also stop being rude

it makes even more sense in context, as people here already explained... And even if it didn't make sense, plenty of men are buff in this world so why complain about abby?

OHCOMMON

Banned
May 15, 2020
User Banned (permanent): Misogyny. Double down. Account in junior phase.
1. She was on a revenge quest and talks, multiple times in flashbacks about her obsession to train. Her revenge was a fierce motivator.

2. We see her walk past a HUGE gym, livestock and a massive store of hanging meat, a farm area with lots of food.

i didn't miss those, but it seemed food was rationed heavily. 1 Burito a day isn't enough, also yeah i saw the gym but even with proper modern diet and workout she would need more than 3 years to go from flashback to her current muscle mass and very probably steroids too.

My head cannon is that she is indeed on roids, but that really isn't a fact since the game never tell you. Also why is no one attacking zarya or other examples in this thread, i feel like it's unfair to just attack people for hating women with muscles just because someone said that abby is kinda unrealistic in the context of the game.

also the problem is not that she has defined muscles actually it's her muscles mass, she actually isn't that defined

it makes even more sense in context, as people here already explained... And even if it didn't make sense, plenty of men are buff in this world so why complain about abby?

i dont think i have seen any character stronger than abby other than those big mini bosses but they come in both genders anyways

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

It's funny because the game shoves these things right in your face as soon as it can.

And like every other conversation mentions her training.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
i didn't miss those, but it seemed food was rationed heavily. 1 Burito a day isn't enough, also yeah i saw the gym but even with proper modern diet and workout she would need more than 3 years to go from flashback to her current muscle mass and very probably steroids too.

My head cannon is that she is indeed on roids, but that really isn't a fact since the game never tell you. Also why is no one attacking zarya or other examples in this thread, i feel like it's unfair to just attack people for hating women with muscles just because someone said that abby is kinda unrealistic in the context of the game.

also the problem is not that she has defined muscles actually it's her muscles mass, she actually isn't that defined
You saw them grab lunch, once lol. They are an active army, they need to be fed well... hence all the food.

You are making backwards leaps to ignore the explicit things thay show just how perfectly her frame fits.

It's funny because the game shoves these things right in your face as soon as it can.

And like every other conversation mentions her training.
Idd mate, idd...

astro

Oct 25, 2017
i dont think i have seen any character stronger than abby other than those big mini bosses but they come in both genders anyways
Joel, Owen, Manny... pretty much every soldier type character is jacked. Abby is just a bit bigger because her obsession motivated her to train harder than anyone else.

This is not hard.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017

In that case, the follow up question is why is Abby the only character you question not only having that physique but also maintaining it? There are plenty of male scavengers with a similar physique and have managed to maintain.

Also in a game whose backdrop is Fungal Zombies and this is what you struggle with?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Abby deserves to be that big. She trained her ass off, never wanted to skip a single session of training. She lived for that.......why are muscular woman that unbelievable there are literally thousands of gym photos of women who would destroy me with how built they are. They are not uncommon.......just uncommon to gamers who apparently never leave the house or want to see their females be only super skinny waifus in games.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe he left the room while his friends were playing the game.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Ayla from Chrono Trigger is kind of defined.

I think they made Samus with her ZSS in Smash Ultimate more defined as well.

I've always hated the Barbie doll physique they settled on for Samus. She runs around in a big metal exoskeleton - before Other M made it a magical girl outfit it felt like a wearable tank.

Girl should be fucking ripped and in Super she was if I remember correctly.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Abby deserves to be that big. She trained her ass off, never wanted to skip a single session of training. She lived for that.......why are muscular woman that unbelievable there are literally thousands of gym photos of women who would destroy me with how built they are. They are not uncommon.......just uncommon to gamers who apparently never leave the house or want to see their females be only super skinny waifus in games.
Fucking bingo.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Sexism
Kassandra says "Hi".

9ac2ebc7f11e7af7a08d5f64fef6e03b08e9e3f7.gifv

She's the perfection to be honest . Toned enough to look and be actual physically strong while still maintaining the beauty of a women .

[mod edit: content reverted to pre-edit version]

Last edited by a moderator:

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

Because Zarya is a character in a multiplayer game. Abby is a character in a single-player story driven game. Also many of the other characters have very different builds compared to Abby. Like Nightengale pointed out, the focus of Abby's muscular build is in her arms. Now scroll down through this thread and see how many are like that compared to their build being focused on having abs.