• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The good thing of threads like this is that we can perfectly see how quickly people will dismiss criticism and rage coming from minorities when its directed at their favorite personalities.
Sadly it's something that happens way too much in this forum.

Just look at the amount of people that came to the defense of goddamn Angry Joe when he spent years being a complete pos, and only now finally he became a banned source here.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
if we want the forum to change for the better it's up to us as a community to do it I've said it before but I'm going to reiterate that moderation can only go so far. If we wanna take down systematic transphobia in this forum we need to tackle it together not putting the blame on staff. Staff can't magically make transphobia go away after all.

You're right, but it would help if the mods/staff would actually do something about the reports that have been put in this thread. So far no one has even been warned.

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
not transphobic =/= not SO transphobic

So "Trans people are the ones to decide what's considered transphobic. Trying to argue that is attempting to take away our agency." don't matter when there are trans people saying shit is not transphobic in the op

It is not black and white as people make it to be in this thread because the whole point of the OP is that there are trans people who are assholes
Just because some trans people are assholes doesn't mean everyone is. There is a genuine issue where you have people who want to help the community grow and people who are against that change. If your going to say some trans people are bad eggs it's a good tactic to silence the good ones too. Granted in Natalie's case she's done a reprehensible thing. But to segment the argument further and to highlight the divisions of the lgbtq community in general there are groups of people who hate each other. It's sickening it's been used as a weapon against minorities and it's radicalized minorities too.

Edit: also this argument is getting very close to the same tactics people use when they say "not all cops" sure it's technically true(albeit even then debatable) but it's such an easy way to shut down any argument when a bad thing is brought up in the first place.

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yeh, but I'm not sure on your overarching point when you keep turning up in threads around transphobia to push back against the people calling it out.

I am just saying shit is not black and white.
I had zero problems in the thread about rowling, for example
Hell, i have been posting on trans threads since the inception of era and before that in the other forum.
"you keep turning up in threads" just mean you were not fan of me being empathic with the workers of a game that were fucked by rowling.
Sorry if i am not just a trans person but also a person that lives in a "3rd world country" (hey look, intersection!) that is basically ahlf unemployed so i might have a problem with people being unemployed.

But the fact remains that you can't blame cis people on believing a trans people like contra and then complain that they don't listen to trans people

This should not be the focus of this thread

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I am just saying shit is not black and white.
I had zero problems in the thread about rowling, for example
I have no interest in putting a grading scale on transphobia personally.

Hell, i have been posting on trans threads since the inception of era and before that in the other forum.
"you keep turning up in threads" just mean you were not fan of me being empathic with the workers of a game that were fucked by rowling.
Sorry if i am not just a trans person but also a person that lives in a "3rd world country" that is basically ahlf unemployed so i might have a problem with people being unemployed.
Not going to mess around with another guilt trip fantasy argument, I already responded the last time:

I'm not sure what your point is though. You said you thought decent developers would begrudge people for not buying a game they themselves are uncomfortable working on. I disagree. I also think invoking them "sleeping on the streets" does nothing but try to pull sympathy for some fictional event that's likely never to happen. Especially as a result of people refusing to purchase specifically because of Rowling's transphobia, and even if it did the guilt wouldn't be on the part of those holding off but the person giving them reason to.

But the fact remains that you can't blame cis people on believing a trans people like contra and then complain that they don't listen to trans people
You can, since listening to a single trans person isn't listening to trans people.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Yes you can. Listening to a single person is never enough. This is why the "i have a black/asian/latin@ friend" argument is so laughable. Minorities are more complex than a singleperson, especially when said person is nowadays despised by many of those same minorities because of the stuff she"s said in the past!

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
You can, since listening to a single trans person isn't listening to trans people.

The thread is about 3
How much trans people is "trans people" ?

Like this thread could have been about why every single argument buck angel said is stupid to educate some people, but no, half of this thread is people complaining

Dear god there is a difference about googling that a terf means and knowing advanced queer studies

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The thread is about 3
How much trans people is "trans people" ?
More than three, especially if all three of those people are known for causing harm within the trans community.

Like this thread could have been about why every single argument buck angel said is stupid to educate some people, but no, half of this thread is people complaining
Pot, meet kettle. You could have made that post and instead decided to complain about people pointing out the issue of transphobia within the community.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
People like Blair White and Rowling choose "biological sex is real" because it is a hill that people will die without explaining the problems

We are fucking doing exactly what they want

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
People like Blair White and Rowling choose "biological sex is real" because it is a hill that people will die without explaining the problems

We are fucking doing exactly what they want
No your just trying to wedge a divide when there isn't one you need to stop wholesale and think about what your doing.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Title update and reminder

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
We've been monitoring this thread, and we continue to do so for cases of transphobia and bigotry. We've seen a significant number of reports from transgender members directed at fellow transgender members in this thread for disagreeing with them, something that has become untenable. As a reminder, just because a member disagrees with you on a particular stance does not necessarily mean that member is cisgender or attempting to cissplain. If you feel that a particular post is breaking the rules, please make use of the report feature, or contact a mod captain regarding your concerns.

With excelsiorlef's assistance, we've gone ahead and updated the title with a title of her choosing, to better reflect the contents of the thread. Due to her prior association and endorsement with Buck Angel, Contrapoints remains tied to this topic. Many transgender folks have valid grievances regarding her actions. As such please do not attempt to dismiss or downplay their concerns.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
If white folks can handle the idea that no Diamond and Silk don't represent black voices then cis folks can handle the idea that these clowns don't represent trans voices. Coddling isn't needed, and cliff notes are more than enough information than should be necessary to provide. The onus continues to be on the trans/genderqueer folks here to provide the context to ignorant posters to put out the fires of their dumb hot takes, and it bears repeating that it shouldn't be this way and wasn't supposed to be this way any longer.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
We've been monitoring this thread, and we continue to do so for cases of transphobia and bigotry. We've seen a significant number of reports from transgender members directed at fellow transgender members in this thread for disagreeing with them, something that has become untenable. As a reminder, just because a member disagrees with you on a particular stance does not necessarily mean that member is cisgender or attempting to cissplain. If you feel that a particular post is breaking the rules, please make use of the report feature, or contact a mod captain regarding your concerns.

As the original post is more about Buck Angel rather than ContraPoints, we've gone ahead and updated the title to reflect this. However, due to her prior association with Buck Angel she remains tied to this topic. Many transgender folks have valid grievances regarding her actions as such please do not attempt to dismiss or downplay their concerns.

I'm sorry what...

Editing my title is absurd

We're on page 5 and the conversation has, as designed primarily been about Contrapoints and her defending of Buck Angel.... now you've removed that headline context.... 5 pages later....

I literally mention her and her videos after thee string of tweets, you've now removed context of my OP.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Well considering Buck has now gone all in on the JK lovefest, you would hope Natalie would say something but knowing these youtubers she won't because she has already dug in too deep (or secretly agrees with him).
She'll probably do the same thing as before.

Ignore what he says so she can still be friends with him. I somehow doubt shes had a single conversation with him about any of this.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry what...

Editing my title is absurd

We're on page 5 and the conversation has, as designed primarily been about Contrapoints and her defending of Buck Angel.... now you've removed that headline context.... 5 pages later....

I literally mention her and her videos after thee string of tweets, you've now removed context of my OP.
Almost everyone on Era knows Buck because of Contra as well. Like, I had zero idea that individual existed until Contra came out in defense of him.

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
I really don't think removing contra points from the title is the right thing to do considering she's responsible for signal boosting buck to begin with. Bucks responses are more of a sub topic to the main title which removes context from the overall thread.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As the original post is more about Buck Angel rather than ContraPoints, we've gone ahead and updated the title to reflect this. However, due to her prior association with Buck Angel she remains tied to this topic. Many transgender folks have valid grievances regarding her actions as such please do not attempt to dismiss or downplay their concerns.
Wow what a incredibly dumb thing to do. She as important to this and taking her out of the title is some cowardly bullshit

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think removing Natalie from the title is the right thing to do considering she's responsible for signal boosting buck to begin with. Bucks responses are more of a sub topic to the main title which removes context from the overall thread.
Yeah, I don't think it's really much of a surprise that Buck is endorsing JK and Blair White. Really more just confirming what we already understand about him. Like you said, it's been the secondary discussion this whole thread, and this new title doesn't reflect that.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017

Never would have heard of this guy if it wasn't for Contrapoints though. She holds some responsibility for making him relevant again.

I think its fair to say the thread is about both of them. Natalie gave this guy some exposure and relevance he desperately did not need to have.

She also dug her claws in and defended him, said talking to him could change him and here we are, he is saying the same hateful stuff It kind of highlights how full of it and irresponsible she was being at the time as one of the bigger voices in the online Trans community.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And while I agree with that I think we need to highlight why the behavior here is so bad because it helps our case a ton.

You're right. I'm just tired of seeing the trans community get treated like this on Era.

Edit: got posted too soon whoops.

I'm not a part of the trans community, or very active but even I can see it needs to be better.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Buck Angel and his shitty views. Needs to keep his mouth shut.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Editing the title is the wrong move and makes the thread look like 5 pages of off-topic derailment.

Oct 26, 2017
Not to dogpipe on that title change, but removing Contrapoints is the same as absolving them of responsibility for the shit they did here.

*I see the title change. Better, but original worked best in my opinion.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I feel old considering I have known who buck is and had some issues there for years...but then again I AM old...lol

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It's weird how the title has to be changed. Like, all it does is now help people mentally image that Contra is separated from Buck. She boosted him so hard.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
I can't remember which video it is where Natalie plays the obvious Blair White stand in, but I keep thinking about that reading through this thread. Obviously she understands that people like Blair and Buck are coming from a place of self-hate and are in many ways actively destructive, but she seems to think she can somehow reach them and has formed a lot of her identity around this idea that by being calm, "rational," and faintly snide she can be the bigot whisperer.

Admitting she was wrong about one of them feels like it would include acknowledging that a very large part of her brand isn't as useful as she pretends.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Contrapoints should do a video about this new stuff and drink performatively so her followers will accuse buck Angel of driving her to drink instead of lobbing that accusation at the people hurt by Buck Angel.

Also I should grow wings.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember which video it is where Natalie plays the obvious Blair White stand in, but I keep thinking about that reading through this thread. Obviously she understands that people like Blair and Buck are coming from a place of self-hate and are in many ways actively destructive, but she seems to think she can somehow reach them and has formed a lot of her identity around this idea that by being calm, "rational," and faintly snide she can be the bigot whisperer.

Admitting she was wrong about one of them feels like it would include acknowledging that a very large part of her brand isn't as useful as she pretends.
But she doesn't even do out reach.... and she's much harsher on Blaire than Buck.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

Transtrenders. The one featuring an NB as the protagonist of their argument and "justine" as a Natt standin on her struggle with the subject.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
But she doesn't even do out reach.... and she's much harsher on Blaire than Buck.

Oh to be clear: I do not think she is right.

But I think her whole image is built on reaching across the aisle, hearing different perspectives, befriending those who disagree, and endless freeze peach nonsense that leads to a few people in her youtube comments saying that they used to be far right but she makes such rational points that they're going to reconsider!

Sometimes it feels like she cares more about "fixing" bigots more than about promoting and helping trans people

I wonder how much of it comes from her history in academia. She wants to have the stronger argument more than the moral one. (This is also why she is more critical of women who are already on "her side" that she thinks might seem cringe than she is actual bigots. Nothing turns the right off more than cringe.)

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Oh to be clear: I do not think she is right.

But I think her whole image is built on reaching across the aisle, hearing different perspectives, befriending those who disagree, and endless freeze peach nonsense that leads to a few people in her youtube comments saying that they used to be far right but she makes such rational points that they're going to reconsider!
She's trans Daryl Davis

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like Contra, but she's 100% wrong on Buck Angel, and needs to denounce him right about now. Pretty disappointed in her.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
User Banned (1 Month): Relentless mod whining and hostility over multiple posts, long history of hostility and multiple infractions for same.
Oh fuck that reply

Seriously

Alerts weren't for "disagreement"

So fucking transparent.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
Did ResetEra really just censor this threads title because it criticized contrapoints too directly? Seriously? Who do you think you're helping???

Fuck her for calling Buck Angel an "icon playing an icon" in her video, fuck her apologists, fuck all of it. Contrapoints actively promoted a bigot and y 'all are helping to downplay it. Disgusting.

Oct 25, 2017
Did ResetEra really just censor this threads title because it criticized contrapoints too directly? Seriously? Who do you think you're helping???

Fuck her for calling Buck Angel an "icon playing an icon" in her video, fuck her apologists, fuck all of it. Contrapoints actively promoted a bigot and y 'all are helping to downplay it. Disgusting.

new title is OP's own words.

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
new title is OP's own words.
The current staff communication should be reworded to fit the new title. Right now its kind of agitating people who are reading it now after the titles been changed with a new title written by excel after two failed changes. Should be along the lines of "after consideration we have allowed the op to rewrite the title of the thread". Basically top half is fine bottom half needs to be updated.

Last edited:

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

There was a third title update. Excelsiorlef chose the third title.