• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brush teeth before or after breakfast?

• Before

Votes: 434 31.7%
  • After

Votes: 837 61.1%
  • Before AND After

Votes: 65 4.7%
  • Neither

Votes: 35 2.6%

• Total voters

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
I've recently learned that some people do it the wrong way. It seems weird, crazy, and nonsensical. Which way do you do it?

AFTER (or both)

Why would anyone brush BEFORE eating? It messes with your taste buds to make your meal taste awful, and in the end you have dirty teeth again

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I used to brush after, but apparently you are suppose to brush before and then wait a little bit before eating so now ive changed to that

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
is this a thread for those weird gross flash "girl" games with horrible mouths/teeth

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
You're supposed to brush after you wake up. The bacteria in your mouth that grows overnight is probably worse than whatever you had for breakfast.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
I thought it wasn't about the food, it's about the plaque. I think before has the edge but as long as you do it at all you're good. I am not a dentist.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
This question always turns into a heated discussion that ends with name calling, so I refuse to answer

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
What the point of brushing before if you're just going to eat right after, go to work with food breath, and have food stuffs hanging around your mouth for hours? That sounds like a recipe for cavities to me.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I give a quick brush after I wake up, usually no or little toothpaste just to quickly clean things, then a proper brush shortly after eating.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I clean my mouth out after I wake up but I don't brush with toothpaste. After breakfast then I brush with paste.

I don't have time in the morning to sit around waiting for my mouth to not taste like toothpaste so I can eat.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Before, it has nothing to do with getting breakfast out of my mouth and everything to do with getting morning breath out of my mouth. I do not want to closely interface with anybody before that brush.

It's true that my mouth tastes like toothpaste a little when I eat, but I decided I don't fuckin care, it's an extremely temporary problem.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I used to brush before until I realized it was stupid. I just rinse my mouth with water in the morning and then brush after breakfast now.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
After, to get the junk off my teeth before I head out (coffee especially) SImilarly I brush my teeth after dinner, to get all of the junk off before I go to bed at night.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I get cavities SUPER easy, so I brush obsessively. It's both.Right away when I wake up, and then again after breakfast.
...and also after I eat or drink anything and then again right before bed.
...I go through a lot of toothpaste...but the dentist says my teeth are super clean!

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
The primary goal of brushing your teeth is to protect them. Dentists recommend brushing before breakfast, right after you wake up.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Weekdays - Before because it's part of my bathroom routine
Weekends - I get lazy and do it after

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Brush my teeth then exercise then have breakfast.
Who the fuck brushes their teeth in the morning? Never seen anyone do that.
giphy.gif

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Working at home I do both.

But normally thats not an option. I brush, shave, take a quick shower and run outside with some coffee in my hand.

So before for me.

It probably does make more sense to brush after breakfast but that doesn't work for me because normally I drink my breakfast in the car.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I only started eating breakfast regularly after pandemic began, and I brush my teeth after.

I'd still brush my teeth in the morning when I didn't eat breakfast. Always sometime after I wake up and before I go to sleep. Twice a day. Only more if I have a particular smelly meal.

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
I brush and wait 30 minutes before I eat. I have no idea why you would want to eat before you've brushed, sounds like it'd be gross.

Oct 30, 2017
Quick brush when I get up to feel a bit fresher, then after breakfast to clean up, then after every meal thereafter (about an hour after eating).

I guess my circumstances are slightly different though as the gap between first quick brush and breakfast can be 2 hours (2 kids, getting them sorted, breakfasted, dressed, ready for school - and at the moment setting up their home school stuff). So no "taste bleed" from paste to breakfast

Re: enamel damage, just don't brush hard, use a softer toothbrush, and avoid abrasive toothpaste.

Last edited:

Killzig

Oct 25, 2017
I think before and after is bad for your enamel. I usually do a quick swish with mouthwash first thing to kill the morning breath then brush/floss when I'm done with my coffee.

n00bp

Oct 28, 2017
I voted Before, because I don't eat breakfast in the traditional sense. Unless you count coffee and smokes as breakfast :p

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I brush when I wake up to get the overnight taste off and there was a false (iitc) correlation between bacteria in your mouth and heart disease in the early 2000s so my dentist used to recommend rinsing off the morning breath to prevent ingesting the bacteria that grew overnight. So it's been a habit ever since to brush when I wake up

Deleted member 4874

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Before. I wake up, go to the bathroom, brush my teeth. I recently tried to get better about eating breakfast, as I usually skip it, but still always before

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if you do intermittent fasting, is your lunch now breakfast+?
And so, you technically do brush before your 'breakfast'... 🤔