• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Blowing up your new punishment process on its first test probably isn't so wise in the long run. I agree with the NFL having the final say in suspension matters with the players in the league, but doing so on the first case of this new process will stir up the PA. They'll be ready for to unleash a firestorm on Goddell on the next CBA talks.
Yeah this is why I'm thinking they let it ride. In the long run its in their best interest to leave it be. Because it would get real bad for them if they pushed it.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
So…..
Smoke weed- 2-3 games per inhale
Assault women - 13 minutes per woman

What a cool and totally not fucked up world

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the multibillionaire owners are in charge.
Goodell is there to shake hands on draft day and make announcements.
If you replace Goodell idk if you are going to see actual policy or company culture changes.

Goodell works for the owners. They are his boss. That has always been the dynamic.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Because it's not an independent 3rd party. They pay her to make a decision - she's fully aware it's rigged and she's just there so to give it legitimacy. It's a kangaroo court.
You aren't making sense. Should the NFLPA and NFL *not be paying her* to be the arbiter?

I get emotions are high but someone hiring you to do a job doesn't put you in their pocket.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You aren't making sense. Should the NFLPA and NFL *not be paying her* to be the arbiter?

I get emotions are high but someone hiring you to do a job doesn't put you in their pocket.
It literally doesn't matter who was the judge in this case. It's a sham court to give the appearance of the NFL doing something.
The NFL rules don't allow an interpretation of more than 6 games for a non-violent sexual assault.
It's not a US judge interpreting US law, it's a US judge interpreting NFL law.

Think about how stupid that is. You are a retired federal judge spending decades learning to be a lawyer, handing out real court judgements, interpreting complex rules, and looking for precedents based on US law and now some clown at NFL calls in a favor for you to read their rulebook and make a call that has been literally tee'd up for you from the get-go.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Jags, Eagles, Bears, Panthers, Jets, Steelers, Falcons, Chargers, Patriots, Ravens, Bengals, Dolphins, Bills, Bucs, Texans, Saints, Commanders…for one week you'll have a super fan in me.

Whole situation is disgusting.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
Wow the decision is much worse than I originally expected.

WTF kind of judge is this?

I thought the NFL might have just presented themselves terribly but the judge actually agreed with all the accusations. She just though this slap on the wrist is enough.

She straight just said its ok to sexual assault women as long as its non-violent.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Wow the decision is much worse than I originally expected.

WTF kind of judge is this?

I thought the NFL might have just presented themselves terribly but the judge actually agreed with all the accusations. She just though this slap on the wrist is enough.

She straight just said its ok to sexual assault women as long as its non-violent.
That's not what she said at all. Seems she recommended the maximum allowed by NFL rules.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Remember if you play sports good, basically all sports that makes a lot of money, you get treated with kids gloves most of the time.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
This is going to be a win for the owners and Goodell if they appeal and fight this- it is going to put the players union in an awful situation of being the people fighting to protect Watson and trying to rally people against an "unjust" punishment of more than 6 games when everyone in the world thinks that this 6 game ban is bullshit

I was going to say that there are probably Browns fans defending this, but even they aren't

Because he won't admit guilt he can't be remorseful for what he (allegedly) did and if you look at the wording it's "he's remorseful that the situation caused much heartache to many" the many being his family, friends, teammates, lawyers, and of course himself, otherwise known as the "I'm sorry I got caught" defense.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
It literally doesn't matter who was the judge in this case. It's a sham court to give the appearance of the NFL doing something.
The NFL rules don't allow an interpretation of more than 6 games for a non-violent sexual assault.
It's not a US judge interpreting US law, it's a US judge interpreting NFL law.

Think about how stupid that is. You are a retired federal judge spending decades learning to be a lawyer, handing out real court judgements, interpreting complex rules, and looking for precedents based on US law and now some clown at NFL calls in a favor for you to read their rulebook and make a call that has been literally tee'd up for you from the get-go.
I just don't see any reason to slander the woman. Read the report, her decision was at least based on logic and precedence.

I get people want their pound of flesh though.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
Initially I thought he'd get a year but the longer it dragged on the more I thought he'd get a lighter suspension and sure enough, here it is.

Hopefully the NFL appeals and the length gets extended.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
People keep saying this judge was weak but she literally was given 5 accusations to make a decision on

Those fucks at the NFL only let her see the info from 5 accusations. There are over 20.

So remember when the NFL swoops in appeals it and makes it 7 or 8 games this was planned from the start.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying this judge was weak but she literally was given 5 accusations to make a decision on

Those fucks at the NFL only let her see the info from 5 accusations. There are over 20.

So remember when the NFL swoops in appeals it and makes it 7 or 8 games this was planned from the start.

I'd lean more towards what she was given to base it on. She had to base it on precedence of past NFL suspensions... which if Ben gave us anything. Is the same 6 games he got.

May 14, 2021

They purposely gave her just 5, and then one of those turned out to be bad and was removed, and they also purposely chose cases that didnt involve violence/force.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
You were foolish to think it would be anything more than a slap on the wrist. The NFL only hands out the big suspensions if it directly affects the game, like PEDs, weed, or gambling.

Outside of the league being straight up saturday morning cartoon villains.... why exactly are they bending over backwards to save this guy from the consequences he deserves? I don't follow football all that closely, but how can one player be THAT important?

Or is he not that important and the league just can't resist the opportunity to be shitty? I just don't get why dude wasn't bushed immediately.

They purposely gave her just 5, and then one of those turned out to be bad and was removed, and they also purposely chose cases that didnt involve violence/force.

Wow.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Shit, this is a worse outcome than I expected… and I expected a horrible outcome

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of the league being straight up saturday morning cartoon villains.... why exactly are they bending over backwards to save this guy from the consequences he deserves? I don't follow football all that closely, but how can one player be THAT important?

Or is he not that important and the league just can't resist the opportunity to be shitty? I just don't get why dude wasn't bushed immediately.
Wow.

Best explanation I can come up with is that the villain story will put asses in seats and eyes on the tv screen.

The mere signing of this 🤡 would have been mind-numbingly stupid if the owners didn't have full confidence that he would get off with a slap on the wrist.

I guess this is the friendly reminder that league is a cartel and the commissioners office works FOR the owners.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Good to see they're going to push for more. I still think he should be suspended each game for every woman who accused him

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Assuming that this goes longer without resolution, Watson will probably petition the courts for an injunction of some sort and could very easily be on the field week 1 of the regular season.
If he is then I thoroughly wish the defense the best of luck every game he plays.

Make sure that he and the ground are acquainted early and often.

May 14, 2021
I hope they do and he gets an injunction, plays the season, and then loses his appeal and has to sit season 2 of his contract where a lot of his money will be lost.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

Although Chris Simms says some ridiculous things at times, he did make a point that could be true..

Roger and the NFL wanted a lighter sentance from this judgement (like this 6 games thing), just so they could come in like heros to ban him for a year... for *good* PR.

"We went above and beyond what even a woman wanted to rule for his actions!" "Please clap."

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
Although Chris Simms says some ridiculous things at times, he did make a point that could be true..

Roger and the NFL wanted a lighter sentance from this judgement (like this 6 games thing), just so they could come in like heros to ban him for a year... for *good* PR.

"We went above and beyond what even a woman wanted to rule for his actions!" "Please clap."

Might be true, even if they did want it, I'll celebrate him if he does give him a ban of a year. I don't care how it happens, Watson deserves to be in prison and a registered sex offender, but a year ban, minimum, is the least he's due.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
He should be banned for his second year and not benefit from Cleveland's stupid contract manipulation to benefit and sexual assaulter. That being said, he should be public enemy number 1 in every stadium. Make his life hell.

Papajak

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming that this goes longer without resolution, Watson will probably petition the courts for an injunction of some sort and could very easily be on the field week 1 of the regular season.
I don't see any way a court would issue an injunction that would allow him to play week one. To issue an injunction, a court would have to find that there would be irreparable damage if they allowed the current decision to stand while the case was argued. If Watson is only suing because the nfl upped the suspension, the court would find that he was suspended for six games before the appeal so he wouldn't be playing week one in any event. If he sues to have the entire suspension overturned, the original six plus whatever the NFL might (hopefully will) add, the court will find that simply paying his lost wages will make him whole. Either way, I can't see the court finding any irreparable harm that would force them to issue an injunction for week one. I can't see any way that Watson plays a single down this year.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

Best of luck getting an injunction with the 2020 CBA. Ultimate decision on appeal is made by Goodell. The NFLPA agreed to it.

That could bite them in the ass in the next CBA, but I don't see an injunction. Ezekial Elliot got one for his suspension, but that was with the older CBA and the courts found in favor of the NFL. The NFLPA and Watson won't win this in court.

Last edited:

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe an update to the thread title is warranted? He isn't going to be suspended for 6 games anymore. The Judge, Jury and Executioner is going to make the decision now