• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z Y

Oct 27, 2017
The owners just want it to go away before the season starts. Appealing it and then having him sue will not only keep it in the light, but also force them to answer a lot of questions they don't wanna answer. Now maybe they go to make it 8 games or 10. But I think if they do go for a year they'll be sued.

This. The NFLPA has already threatened the league that they will make this messy for the owners if the punishment is extreme. Upping the penalty by appealing a third party ruling would be just that. The NFL doesn't want that headache.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
I'm a DIEHARD Cleveland sports fan..
But seriously.. FUCK THIS TEAM .

They mortgaged their future for a scumbag. Then they give the guy a QUARTER OF A BILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT.
In the process they pissed all over a guy who wanted to be there, who just had a bad year.
Baker played with his arm dangling out of socket for half the season.
Maybe a broken rib in the mix as well.

Baker was not the best QB by a long shot. But the guy has some SERIOUS heart.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
This is going to be a win for the owners and Goodell if they appeal and fight this- it is going to put the players union in an awful situation of being the people fighting to protect Watson and trying to rally people against an "unjust" punishment of more than 6 games when everyone in the world thinks that this 6 game ban is bullshit

the problem is twofold:

one, not everyone in the world thinks that the 6-game suspension is bullshit. shitty people spend money too, and a lot of shitty people enjoy the nfl. just because era's unanimous doesn't mean the world is.

two, this arbitration system was something negotiated between the players' union and management in order to establish a "more fair" system for determining punishments that wasn't limited to "whatever the league decides it wants to give, at whim and basically for whatever reason it wants". if the nfl goes "lol sike goodell makes all the decisions if he wants to", the players are going to be pissed. it's going to set a horrendous precedent for how they should expect to be treated going forward, and I don't think the league wants that

Oct 29, 2017
Every day the Browns play until this piece of shit's contract is done, I'll wake up and wonder to myself, "Is today the day a linebacker vaults over the OL and snaps Watson's legs like kindling? Just renders his legs into skin bags full of bone shards?"

I wish nothing but the worst for him and all of his enablers.

AppleSautts

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I'm glad the Cavs and maybe the Guardians are both turning into good teams right now to fill the void the Browns left.

kamen_tater

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait to be bombarded with all the "NFL cares about women" ads on tv next season when it's blatantly obvious that they don't.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
"Mr. Watsons' pattern of conduct is more egregious than any before review by the NFL."

OK... then how in the hell did you come to only a 6 game suspension?

Gambling on a game you're not playing in? Full year suspension. Smoked pot? Indefinite suspension. Generally aware that there was air in a football? 2 games less than 24 sexual assault accusations.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Mr. Watsons' pattern of conduct is more egregious than any before review by the NFL."

OK... then how in the hell did you come to only a 6 game suspension?

Gambling on a game you're not playing in? Full year suspension. Smoked pot? Indefinite suspension. Generally aware that there was air in a football? 2 games less than 24 sexual assault accusations.
Because NFL rules were designed to punish sexual violence and domestic abuse.
Jacking off on unsuspecting women hired for massage was not specifically addressed in their rules.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Looking forward to Watson winning Comeback Player of the Year after all the "adversity" he has gone through!!!!!!!

Fuck the NFL.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
6 games is not enough, and everyone knows it.

But this was a process governed by a collective bargaining agreement under which there are rules that have to be followed. Those rules have proven to be inadequate to cover the depravity of Watson's conduct.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Dismissive Commentary; Spreading Misinformation; Inflammatory False Equivalence Around Sexual Assault Allegations
If I take the emotion out of it I have to be fine with this outcome. He didn't get to play at all last year, his reputation is ruined, and he was suspended 6 games for it.

Two juries declined to go forward, there are no criminal charges, this is a he said she said situation, and the believe all women narrative has been proven to be at times very misleading (hello Amber Heard and the many, many threads and thoughts posted here and elsewhere that not only believed her, gave her carte blanche, it ruined the reputation of a man/ he was eviscerated, and if you tried to give him any benefit of the doubt, you were then labeled).

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
If I take the emotion out of it I have to be fine with this outcome. He didn't get to play at all last year, his reputation is ruined, and he was suspended 6 games for it.

Watson not playing last year was him sitting out because he didn't want to play for the Texans anymore. His decision, nothing to do with the team nor the league. That in no way should be counted towards a suspension for harassing women.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Two juries declined to go forward, there are no criminal charges, this is a he said she said situation, and the believe all women narrative has been proven to be at times very misleading (hello Amber Heard and the many, many threads and thoughts posted here and elsewhere that not only believed her, gave her carte blanche, it ruined the reputation of a man/ he was eviscerated, and if you tried to give him any benefit of the doubt, you were then labeled).
This is such a horrible take. And this is not even REMOTELY comparable to the Depp/Heard stuff. Heard was a single woman. Watson has been shown to have assaulted TWENTY WOMEN.

Six games is a fucking joke. Luckily it sounds like the league is going to appeal.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Watson not playing last year was him sitting out because he didn't want to play for the Texans anymore. His decision, nothing to do with the team nor the league. That in no way should be counted towards a suspension for harassing women.
I feel like the judge weighed it even if she doesn't say she did. Which as you said was his own decision (and rightly so) to not play for that racist joke of an organization. So it should not have counted. But it probably did.
---
I'm interested to see how far the NFL goes though because the owners don't want this to linger on forever.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A cynical reason to believe Goodell will put a one year suspension in place.

It lowers the value and influence of the NFLPA.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I hope Goodell follows through and suspends him anyhow. They'll get sued by the NFLPA, but the public would be on the NFL's side.

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
The NFL is a joke, but they didn't decide this. An independent person they hired did.

The NFL sounds like they will appeal for a longer suspension.
The only way to make the league go for more is to make enough noise that they feel embarrassed and compelled to do something. Boycott all NFL games, protest all NFL games and don't watch. That's where I'm at, just use this as a convenient way to finally stop watching the sport that turns all the players' brains into mush!

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Goodell follows through and suspends him anyhow. They'll get sued by the NFLPA, but the public would be on the NFL's side.
Nflpa can sue all it wants, it's in the CBA that it's the commission's decision.

I'd think the owners would he for a longer suspension. Not because they're good people, but because they're probably still pissed at the fully guaranteed contract.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The only way to make the league go for more is to make enough noise that they feel embarrassed and compelled to do something. Boycott all NFL games, protest all NFL games and don't watch. That's where I'm at, just use this as a convenient way to finally stop watching the sport that turns all the players' brains into mush!
The league has basically already announced it will be going for a longer suspension.

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
The judge took into consideration the way the league punishes its owners. So while they themselves didn't decide this sentence, their shittiness led to it.

Yes, but what Robert Kraft did (pay for a consensual, but illegal, encounter from a massage therapist) and what Watson did are massively different. Watson has 30+ accusers with 60+ instances of it happening and none of it was consensual.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
"Non-violent" sexual assault as a reason to lessen his suspension is disgusting

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I don't follow sports but this story has captured my attention on and off.

It's wild how easy it is to lose most other jobs for the smallest of things, but if you're a pro sports boy and you assault 24 people? Merely a suspension.

DirtyManos

Oct 25, 2017
What a joke, fuck watson, the browns, the league, the nflpa, and this whole process. Been settled from the beginning what the outcome was going to be - the owners control it all.

May 14, 2021
Yes, but what Robert Kraft did (pay for a consensual, but illegal, encounter from a massage therapist) and what Watson did are massively different. Watson has 30+ accusers with 60+ instances of it happening and none of it was consensual.
Yep, but she's apparently not basing it on severity, but on the CBA, so the difference in crimes wasn't an issue. The difference in how punishments are levied is. If the league would punish its owners, that would never have come up.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

I imagine that would turn into a firestorm with the NFLPA given the independent arbiter was agreed upon by all parties. If that decision can just be completely ignored, it would be a precedent the NFL would have a hard time coming back from with its players.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are the people blaming the NFL for the decision from an independent third party? Goodell has the final say on the suspension length so just wait to bash (or praise) the NFL until they actually do something.

I imagine that would turn into a firestorm with the NFLPA given the independent arbiter was agreed upon by all parties. If that decision can just be completely ignored, it would be a precedent the NFL would have a hard time coming back from with its players.

The NFLPA agreed that Goodell has the final say.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean...they've been ignored in the past already, lol. This isn't new ground.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are the people blaming the NFL for the decision from an independent third party? Goodell has the final say on the suspension length so just wait to bash (or praise) the NFL until they actually do something.
Because it's not an independent 3rd party. They pay her to make a decision - she's fully aware it's rigged and she's just there so to give it legitimacy. It's a kangaroo court.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Perhaps a mod can edit the thread title to clarify that the NFL was not the party that enforced the suspension and that the league still has the final say.

BigSkinny0310

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Blowing up your new punishment process on its first test probably isn't so wise in the long run. I agree with the NFL having the final say in suspension matters with the players in the league, but doing so on the first case of this new process will stir up the PA. They'll be ready for to unleash a firestorm on Goddell on the next CBA talks.

Oct 26, 2017
Lawyer brain going with "well, you can't treat Watson differently from other sex offenders just because he sexually assaulted 30 women instead of 1" is something only a brain dead Republican nominee could come up with.

Thanks, HW Bush.

"We need to go by precedent for unprecedented behavior" people who go to law school should be exiled from society.