• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think that tweet was poorly phrased. He's been highlighting black authors and doing fundraising in his IG.

He recently did an interview with Shaka Senghor, an advocate of ending mass incarceration. This issue with everyone having platforms is not everyone is professional communicator nor versed on every topic so clumsy statements are frequent. So it's best to look at track record.

I do not agree with the tweet. It is definitely not well thought out.
Imagine tweeting that on that day of all days

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This is truly fantastic. It is one of the rare comedies that remains incredibly good deep into its run. But obviously, being a cop show is problematic by default. I have faith in the writers to handle this well given how they've handled real topics in the past.

Oct 27, 2017
Jake wakes up from being in a coma for 6 months. The whole show happened in his coma brain. He grew up watching cop shows and with all of the things happening, his coma brain created an idealized version of a cop show.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
idk when I'll be able to watch any cop show again that's not The Wire. i'm just soooooooo disgusted with American policing.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I know the tweet. It's weird, but I don't think Terry Crews is an uncle ruckus all of a sudden.
Not all of a sudden, but you can see the path he is walking going all the way back to him shitting on Gabby Union. Seen it a million times, we know where it ends

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Not all of a sudden, but you can see the path he is walking going all the way back to him shitting on Gabby Union. Seen it a million times, we know where it ends
Yeah that sucked. Gender and sex dynamic are differently a blind spot in the quest for equality. Terry was in a greater position of privilege than Gabby. He should've recognized that.

Jul 5, 2019
I know some here consider the show copaganda but recall that it has also shown discrimination both within the department and against Terry's character when he was out walking his dog. I hope we see a lot more of that in the coming season given the diversity in the cast.
Acknowledging problems with the police force doesn't take away from the fact that the show glorifies cops in basically every other way.

"Cops can wacky, relateable human beings! Sure, there's some racism in the police force, but those are just some bad apples, our lovable cop heroes are nothing like that! These guys exist as a force for good, throwing poor people into jail, breaking protocol very often (which gets justified by the narrative!), but hey, at least they're woke!"

Oct 25, 2017
There's still the option of changing it to a post office show where absolutely nobody acknowledges the change.

That makes a lot more sense than trying to address police brutality in the NYPD. It always stuck out as incompatible with the workplace sitcom setup it used. Not that the episodes on their own weren't effective, but it was a level of "realness" that didn't make sense with a show that has characters like Jason Mantzoukas.

There's literally no way to keep the characters the same and please ACAB people, because they will always see it as "copaganda".

TopherDL

Oct 25, 2017
Changing the premise of the show without acknowledgement would be a brilliant gag. Probably one of the best in a sitcom full stop. But truth is they should just cancel it and come up with something else with the same cast. We'll never get the Happy Endings continuation we deserve, but a comedy with this cast and crew with a premise similar to Happy Endings? I'd watch that.

ReadyorNot

Jan 6, 2018
What does this mean?

I'm saying that Terry Crews on Twitter has a habit of acting a certain way but handling it in a complete opposite manner. Like for example, saying he supports black women but not supporting Gabrielle Union when she spoke on racist and misogynistic conduct on America's Got Talent (a show they were both on) and threw her under the bus when working there. He apologized for doing so after a while because he got called out on that mess and the way he dealt with it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't get it.

Systemic brutality and racism has been an issue from the start. Either they claim the issue is new in this world - which is fucking stupid. Or they suddenly discover it, which is also fucking stupid. Or they've always known, which is also fucking stupid.

This is a no-win situation and they shouldn't do it. Just change the show and use it as a means to talk about it that way. Maybe they will go that direction, but I'm not holding my breath.

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't get it.

Systemic brutality and racism has been an issue from the start. Either they claim the issue is new in this world - which is fucking stupid. Or they suddenly discover it, which is also fucking stupid. Or they've always known, which is also fucking stupid.

This is a no-win situation and they shouldn't do it. Just change the show and use it as a means to talk about it that way. Maybe they will go that direction, but I'm not holding my breath.
They wouldn't be discovering it, they've been getting into it since the show started.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
7jz7nlL.png

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
The show is...very light when it comes to these issues hard to hit sensative topics trapped in short episodes of a comedy sitcom (however others have and do better), Im hopeful they can pull it off and optimistic about it but I sure haven't been watching it or gone back to it and similar shows since this has all gone down...

Mar 3, 2019
They should redo it as the future of what policing should be, so social workers and a limited "police force". Either that or just have them all resign over current events and become firefighters

Oct 25, 2017
Just cancel the show and be done with it. No matter what they do people will shit. Start up something new with the same core cast.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I am extremely curious how it will go; I binge-watched the entire series recently (as one does nowadays) and I don't personally feel it's ever tackled sensitive issues with enough gravitas (too afterschool special, as one other poster says) even with the more sensitive episodes. I would only hope they change the status quo enough to properly reflect how the show wants to represent itself with the constant note of police association, and I sure as hell hope they don't half-ass the issues they're going to tackle, because audiences would rip em apart.

They should redo it as the future of what policing should be, so social workers and a limited "police force". Either that or just have them all resign over current events and become firefighters
99.9% of what we see on the show is detective work, already — these guys aren't walking a beat, pulling over drivers on traffic duty, venturing out on wellness checks, etc. So in any storylines about police reform they'd basically still be doing the same stuff.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I think it'd be cool if they all went to go to a wacky community college or something

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I say they should rewrite it to depict what the NYPD at large is really like. Terry will be as bad against black folks if not worse than the white cops. Peralta will be an abusive prick making up for his inadequacies by taking it out on minorities while cracking a joke only the other cops find funny as some guy lays dying at his feet. Rosa will shoot someone then plant a gun on them and then be taking to task because she did it to a white person and gets some actual comeuppance since she's a minority herself. Amy Santiago tries to do the right thing and break the blue wall of silence but suffers an accident on the job and is left dead.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is the cop show that should target police reform being all the members of the 99th precint are good people that are the idealized form of what police should be: honest, hardworking and ethical. When it tackles key issues like when Terry was profiled or when Any was working that case of sexual assaults and then reflected her own experiences, the writing was on point. All sides of the issues were examined and how the consequences for the convicts at times are not what people expect to be or are far less severe.

At the same time you look at a character like Hitchcock who exists in the same environment but is a perverted and gross old man who hides in the woman's bathroom, needlessly to say he's a comedy character. He's still in there even after the #metoo episode because he fills a role of an incompetent, pervy moron. So how do you equate a show to tackle broader issues when at the same time it's a goofy sitcom, especially in reaction to widespread police brutality seen then done in a way where it doesn't seem half-spirited or too unrealistic? The characters themselves love being cops, and rarely except for older generations into 70s police era through Holt's career does it seriously critique structural and societal problems from the culture of police.

I would expect more of a drama or an HBO cop show to really do it justice, but the show does have great writing so I will have to see it play out.

Deleted member 51608

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 4, 2019
also do we have an issue with detectives? Aren't most of them detectives?

The problem with detectives is that there's no reason for them to be cops TBH. Don't have detective be a promotion for cops, separate the jobs and start hiring people from all kinds of backgrounds like lawyers and accountants and researchers and give them detective training with the reformed idea of cops that are there for physical support in cases of arrests and such. The FBI does it like that I hear. A trained investigative forensics accountant is probably more a more valuable investigator then a beat cop that gets promoted after X years of traffic stops and apprenticeship in this day and age

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The direction you go in is to stop making it a cop show. A "very special episode" where a cop turns out to be a racist doesn't even come close to addressing it.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see what they end up doing. People bring up post offices, but that would still be law enforcement unless you mean them delivering package or something, which probably wouldn't work. It would need to be something else.

Go full Archer. Don't even explain it
They can change the premise, but I don't think any show needs to go full Archer lol

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
If they are going to do a season about systemic racism and go all the way with it, it needs to be the final season. Maybe have Samberg's character get asked to serve as a riot cop and have him have a change of heart about his profession when the other cops talk about the protestors. Have him resign as a cop out of anger and seeking another line of work and he tries to get other people to join him. Some do and most don't; they don't want to leave their salaries and pensions even though ethically they should.

Or have the final episode be they close the precinct and everyone either reappears in a new profession (post office, building security, parking lot attendants) the next season.

Or (as is true to life) nothing will happen to the precinct and anyone else and 'police reforms' are forgotten or laughed about in a department meeting at the end of the season.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
The show's core DNA is "cops are cool". A simple reform won't change much. It's still a cop show about cops in NYC being good.

They need a big overhaul into a private detective agency. Detective work is where the characters and comedy shine IMO. They just need to do it in a smart way that feels like a natural evolution.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I say they should rewrite it to depict what the NYPD at large is really like. Terry will be as bad against black folks if not worse than the white cops. Peralta will be an abusive prick making up for his inadequacies by taking it out on minorities while cracking a joke only the other cops find funny as some guy lays dying at his feet. Rosa will shoot someone then plant a gun on them and then be taking to task because she did it to a white person and gets some actual comeuppance since she's a minority herself. Amy Santiago tries to do the right thing and break the blue wall of silence but suffers an accident on the job and is left dead.

Then Jake will wake up from the dream and the episode ends with him working at the post office/social worker office/whatever replacements they can think of.

Jake to the rest of the team: I had a dream about us being NYPD last night. It was weird.

Someone: Yeah I mean you hate the police.

Jake : I know right, I thought they were all like the ones in Die Hard but turns out reality is ACAB.

emmastone

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 28, 2020
And this is how it turns into a drama. I sincerely hope it doesn't get all moody and will still be a fun and lighthearted show.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I'm curious to see if they can make it be meaningful, significant and still funny.

I assume they're gonna have the cops of the 99 as the 'good ones' try and takedown the corrupt NYPD from within or something.

Quite a challenge the writers have on their hands

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The show's core DNA is "cops are cool". A simple reform won't change much. It's still a cop show about cops in NYC being good.

They need a big overhaul into a private detective agency. Detective work is where the characters and comedy shine IMO. They just need to do it in a smart way that feels like a natural evolution.

That would be cool, the cop part of the show which was barely there wasnt really that great and isn't what makes the show special. The Investigation parts of the show and the cast are the main draw.