• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
tvline.com

Brooklyn Nine-Nine to Scrap All Episodes Written for Season 8, Terry Crews Says: ‘We Have to Start Over’

'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' is scrapping the episodes written for Season 8 in light of the protests against police violence, Terry Crews says.

"Our showrunner Dan Goor, they had four episodes all ready to go, and they just threw them in the trash," Crews said. "We have to start over. Right now, we don't know which direction it's going to go in." (TVLine has reached out to NBC for comment.)

The cast has been talking about how to address the issues of systemic racism and police brutality in the upcoming season as well, Crews added: "We've had a lot of somber talks about it and deep conversations, and we hope through this, we're going to make something that will be truly groundbreaking this year. We have an opportunity, and we plan to use it in the best way possible."

Brooklyn Nine-Nine, starring Andy Samberg as a goofy NYPD detective, typically focuses on the lighter side of police work, but it has tackled serious topics in the past, including a Season 4 episode that saw Crews' character get racially profiled by a white cop while off-duty in his own neighborhood. Earlier this month, the cast and Goor made a $100,000 donation to the National Bail Fund Network and stated that they "condemn the murder of George Floyd and support the many people who are protesting police brutality nationwide."

I know some here consider the show copaganda but recall that it has also shown discrimination both within the department and against Terry's character when he was out walking his dog. I hope we see a lot more of that in the coming season given the diversity in the cast.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
There's still the option of changing it to a post office show where absolutely nobody acknowledges the change.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
While the cops in B99 are mostly an idealized fiction of what police should be liked,. I don't know if people will be receptive at all to sympathizing with the NYPD after the million stunts they have pulled recently. Maybe they should just have them all quit and form a PI agency

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting move. Wonder if they plan to move the scrapped stuff to season 9 (should it exist) or it's gonna be "lost episodes" kinda thing

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
With Terry Crews there, I wonder how much they can do?

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The Terry episode from season 4 was really good, but tbh a lot of the times they try to handle heavier topics after it has always come across as schmaltzy and a little too after school special for my tastes. I'm way more into "They're suddenly working at a post office and dont acknowledge the change" over "An entire season of A Very Special Brooklyn 99"

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I'd be cool if the show just focused on Rosa's love life. Or became a road show with Doug and Jake.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
There's still the option of changing it to a post office show where absolutely nobody acknowledges the change.

I would love this just for the lolz and the history behind it for television

Sounds like they want to address the issue on the show though.

also do we have an issue with detectives? Aren't most of them detectives?

Oct 27, 2017
Shortly before this all went down, I started writing a Brooklyn Nine-Nine spec that was a "flashback" to the early days of Covid-19. For a contest/for fun. Intended to be a "While they were away" type episode. Then this all happened and it totally doesn't fill that role. And it is kind of weird to work on near the end.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting move. Wonder if they plan to move the scrapped stuff to season 9 (should it exist) or it's gonna be "lost episodes" kinda thing

The stuff they wrote was probably mostly about how the 99 deals with COVID. The last season was made before the pandemic but still takes place when the pandemic began.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad they've made this decision. Not sure how they'll handle it, but it's better than ignoring it.

They could also just become a private detective agency.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if more cop shows will do this - looking at you, ABC's The Rookie.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I bet they go full Police Academy.

Holt becomes Comissioner as a diversity nod and the 99 are the first to test the new training curriculum. Others want them to fail

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been able to get into this show at all in the past few seasons. I don't know if it's not funny anymore, or if it's because most of the characters have always been caricatures and that type of two-dimensionality gets old after awhile.

And for them to try and turn this goofy show into something to tackle police brutality and systemic racism? I don't see how it's possible. There's nothing funny about those issues, and I don't know how they would juggle comedy with this stuff. And, honestly, I see this show having to go one of two ways. One, they just ignore the real world and pretend these things aren't happening (which isn't happening). Or two, the characters leave the NYPD and do something else. Nothing else will work well.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
His crazy worry that social justice will lead to black people enslaving white people
I think that tweet was poorly phrased. He's been highlighting black authors and doing fundraising in his IG.

He recently did an interview with Shaka Senghor, an advocate of ending mass incarceration. This issue with everyone having platforms is not everyone is professional communicator nor versed on every topic so clumsy statements are frequent. So it's best to look at track record.

I do not agree with the tweet. It is definitely not well thought out.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
I think this is the only way they could've gone forward and I'm really glad they're choosing to do this. I personally think the show was getting stale too, so nothing like advocating for social justice and making better television at the same time.