• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I watched Airplane and Howard the Duck on (and edited for) TV when I was younger.

Imagine my surprise when I watched them relatively recently on HBO as I never knew about the overt nudity in either film.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Airplane is great.

Perhaps you should also recommend him my personal favorite by the Zucker Bros, Top Secret!

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Loved Airplane and the Naked Gun movies., you don't see those kind of humor and movies anymore.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Airplane is still my fav comedy. My gf hadn't seen it or heard of it so I made her watch it like a month ago. I don't think it was as transformative an experience for her though.

I don't really care for Top Secret however

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Airplane also has the honor of straight up murdering the air disaster genre. It's just not possible to make one of those without people thinking about Airplane anymore.

Only things we get now are action movies set on a plane or other comedies. See Snakes on a Plane for an example, but the old thriller of will they make it down safely? Dead. Gone. Brutally slain by Airplane.

And I'm not entirely sure if anyone mourns their loss.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Airplane is a classic.

I also identify with BronsonLee there are loads of movies that I am constantly told to watch but never have. I still haven't seen the original Ghostbusters movie for example. I also watched the prequels before I ever saw the original SW trilogy.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I just watched the Naked Gun movies for the first time earlier today because of the mentions in this thread. I don't know if I can think of many other trilogies that hold up quite so well. Thanks to everyone who mentioned it.

Deleted member 13707

Account closed at user request
Oct 27, 2017
It's a good thing ERA doesn't know how much I hate their guts.

I watched this a few years back with my parents guiding me through some of the more timely gags and deliveries. I had seen Naked Gun films when I was in my teens, and now I immediately understood where the template of these comedy films truly started to blossom.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Airplane!, Naked Gun, Top Secret, Blazing Saddles...all amazing. Then spoof movies turned into this shit;
seltzer_8081.png

...and I weep.

I love Airplane!, and all the quotes and clips in this thread have made me want to watch it for the billionth time.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Airplane! is the Citizen Kane of comedy films.

Top Secret! however arguably aged better.

I watched it for the first time a couple months ago. It had a few good jokes, but I thought that for the most part, it was really stupid and not funny.

Yeah, Holy Grail no longer works, since it depended on the context of releasing in an Age where movies were never truly meta. However, now that YouTube has made that kinda comedy the standard, Holy Grail just seems pedestrian and untalented.

Invictus

Oct 25, 2017
"They're all over the place. Five thousand feet up to ten thousand feet. What a bunch of assholes"

It's a movie 30 years later I still find new jokes in. I just noticed the plane engine sound on last rewatch.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, Holy Grail no longer works, since it depended on the context of releasing in an Age where movies were never truly meta. However, now that YouTube has made that kinda comedy the standard, Holy Grail just seems pedestrian and untalented.

I don't have a problem with it being old or not meta. I just don't find British "comedy" to be funny.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I watched it for the first time a couple months ago. It had a few good jokes, but I thought that for the most part, it was really stupid and not funny.

What the what?

Airplane! is the Citizen Kane of comedy films.

Top Secret! however arguably aged better.

Fucking double what what?

I need to take a walk and think about where this world has gone wrong. Terribly wrong.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I always turn the TV to Airplane any time I see it on. I haven't seen Airplane 2 in probably 20 years and I don't think I've ever seen Top Secret. Are they streaming anywhere?

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Well if you can watch Airplane then you're ready for Spaceballs, and the most quotable comedy scene in the last 40 years

"When Will Then Be Now?"

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
Looking at this thread, I gotta wonder, has Bronson seen any of the Original Star Wars Trillogy? I'd urge him to watch all 3 if he hasn't. I kinda wonder if his favorite is/would of the Original Trilogy be The Empire Strikes Back.

EDIT: BTW, What just happened? heard Bronson yell "AAAAAARGH, MY BONES!" just a second ago.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't seen a single Star Trek movie

I also haven't seen any of the original Star Wars films, I started with Phantom Menace

Have you seen any post prequel trilogy Star Wars films? Also I was born in '85 and have never seen a minute of any Star Trek film excluding the first J.J. film. I know one is about Kahn and his wrath, one has San Francisco in it and one has whales. I'm not opposed to seeing them but also have never had strong enough interest to seek any of them out.
90s kid, and the movies are so pop cultured that I know what's happened in them anyways

I haven't seen a single LOTR movie too
Watched all 3 Hobbit movies in theaters tho

I don't know about you but in middle school I read enough of The Hobbit to know that world just wasn't for me. It didn't matter how large and impressive the CG armies were as I had zero interest in seeing any LOTR or Hobbit movie.

Good man!

Also, as someone who likes Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade I can only imagine what someone who disliked Raiders would think of Temple of Doom & Crystal Skull, which are both absolutely abysmal films.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Well if you can watch Airplane then you're ready for Spaceballs, and the most quotable comedy scene in the last 40 years

"When Will Then Be Now?"

Spaceballs is bad and not funny.
Spaceballs is one of those movies that feels like its unfortunately sabotaging itself, best evidenced by the "combing the desert" scene. Airplane would have let that be a five second gag, not a twenty second one