• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Of course don't trust this asshole.
Britney Spears' fight to end her court-ordered conservatorship took an unexpected turn on Tuesday when her father and the conservator of her estate, Jamie Spears, filed a petition to end the arrangement.
In a court filing obtained by CNN on Tuesday, the elder Spears cited his daughter's pleas at two separate court hearings over the summer in his request to terminate the 13-year conservatorship.
"Recent events related to this conservatorship have called into question whether circumstances have changed to such an extent that grounds for establishment of a conservatorship may no longer exist," the filing states.

"Ms. Spears has told this Court that she wants control of her life back without the safety rails of a conservatorship. She wants to be able to make decisions regarding her own medical care, deciding when, where and how often to get therapy. She wants to control the money she has made from her career and spend it without supervision or oversight. She wants to be able to get married and have a baby, if she so chooses. In short, she wants to live her life as she chooses without the constraints of a conservator or court proceeding," the petition reads in part.

"As Mr. Spears has said again and again, all he wants is what is best for his daughter. If Ms. Spears wants to terminate the conservatorship and believes that she can handle her own life, Mr. Spears believes that she should get that chance," the filing said.

Mathew Rosengart, attorney for Britney Spears, called Tuesday's development "vindication."

"This filing represents another legal victory for Britney Spears -- a massive one -- as well as vindication for Ms. Spears," Rosengart said in a statement to CNN. "It appears that Mr. Spears believes he can try to avoid accountability and justice, including sitting for a sworn deposition and answering other discovery under oath."
Rosengart added that Britney Spears will "continue to explore all options."

www.cnn.com

Britney Spears' father petitions to end her conservatorship | CNN

Britney Spears' fight to end her court-ordered conservatorship took an unexpected turn on Tuesday when her father and the conservator of her estate, Jamie Spears, filed a petition to end the arrangement.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
It's amazing how fast this went the moment Britney got the right to hire her own attorney.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how fast this went the moment Britney got the right to hire her own attorney.
Didn't this get so prolonged because Britney Spears was deemed too hysterical to care for herself?

I can barely conceptualize how to be knowingly cruel to someone I know, I can't imagine how fucked you have to be to do so to your own child.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Didn't this get so prolonged because Britney Spears was deemed too hysterical to care for herself?

I can barely conceptualize how to be knowingly cruel to someone I know, I can't imagine how fucked you have to be to do so to your own child.
This, but also...apparently Britney's previous attorney, appointed for her by the court/her dad, never found it important to inform Britney of how conservatorships work or even her rights under them.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017

Britney spears literally had no idea that she could petition to have the thing removed. She found out in court a couple of months ago. Her lawyer never told her. A lawyer who just happened to be getting paid insane amounts of money from the estate she had no control over because of the situation she was in.

There is 0 reason this situation should have been going on as long as it has, any excuse you hear as to why is bullshit and it's just people trying to cover for a system that shouldn't exist in anyway near the form it does.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Britney spears literally had no idea that she could petition to have the thing removed. She found out in court a couple of months ago. Her lawyer never told her. A lawyer who just happened to be getting paid insane amounts of money from the estate she had no control over because of the situation she was in.

There is 0 reason this situation should have been going on as long as it has, any excuse you hear as to why is bullshit and it's just people trying to cover for a system that shouldn't exist in anyway near the form it does.
Oh sorry I should be clear; when I wrote that reasoning above I meant that it was an untrue diagnosis of her in order for her father to attain further control, not that she was actually, legitimately unfit to care for herself.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
You just know this POS has already transferred all the money he stole from her to offshore accounts.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
You just know this POS has already transferred all the money he stole from her to offshore accounts.
In this case I think that's unlikely, only because the thing they're now litigating in court is where the missing money from Britney's estate over the last year has gone.

I mean, it's obvious that Jamie was mishandling her funds. But it would be a weird time for him to be...well, smart. Jamie Spears literally lives in a trailer park. No, for real. He does.

I think the obvious answer is Jamie Spears not knowing how to handle money worth a damn, and spending all of his daughter's money on dumb shit. But he knows now it's either step down and pray they leave it at that, or be obstinate and more likely than not face jail time.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Could that read in a more condescending tone?
He's clearly trying to get out while he can, but god damn if he's not trying to make her seem like a petulant child while doing so.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"As Mr. Spears has said again and again, all he wants is what is best for his daughter. If Ms. Spears wants to terminate the conservatorship and believes that she can handle her own life, Mr. Spears believes that she should get that chance," the filing said.
I find this the most interesting part of all this. She wanted this for years. Why didn't he say that before? We know why, but it's funny he says that now.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
So happy for Britney! I do kinda hope she goes after ever motherfucker that's siphoned her money for the last decade!

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
Didn't he also buy himself a yacht?

They cared about her so much that her sister benefited from performing her songs and her father pocketed $16k every month for 12 years. The only thing they cared about was the money.

I think I remember seeing Britneys sister post an IG crying... The timing was so funny considering that was when Britney was trying to get her father to stop controlling her. It's like she knew everything would end for her the moment her father couldn't control her and she wasn't allowed to perform her sisters songs anymore.

Oct 30, 2017
her dad trying to remove himself like

omgwtf.gif

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Oh sorry I should be clear; when I wrote that reasoning above I meant that it was an untrue diagnosis of her in order for her father to attain further control, not that she was actually, legitimately unfit to care for herself.

I think the reason it took so long was what Dis said. She was originally placed under conservatorship because a court ruled she was not able to take care of herself. Whether this was justified or not at the time, I don't know. There have certainly been instances where a conservatorship was needed. But for the looooongest time her lawyer, which I believe worked with her father, never told her the steps she could take to at least get her father removed as conservator. How convenient. I believe it wasn't until a third party told her what her options where that the ball started rolling. About four months ago or something? And now look how fast things are moving.