• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do you keep misquoting me? Either you have poor reading comprehension skills or are being really disingenuous.
I'm not misquoting you at all. What you've said is clear, and it's a pretty disgusting mindset. You think you can label who does and does not have an 'evil soul', and you think a portion of people who are abused are inevitably going to abuse others regardless of whether or not they receive treatment because it's now 'who they are' and they are a lost cause.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
And you are wrong. The brain isn't fully developed until around 25 years of age, and even then the brain still changes over time and is malleable, just not as rapidly as it does in youth. People often age out of mental illnesses and disorders, and therapy and medication can do a ton to help people who have suffered from abuse and have disorders due to that abuse, even in adulthood. Hence why I'm saying you don't know what you are talking about, your assertion that she is beyond help is informed by nothing but your own arrogance.

You also asserted that the abuse someone has suffered is 'what they are' and that it is impossible to heal those wounds. You can't see how that's an incredibly offensive thing to say?
I get that the brain isn't fully developed at 15 but just because you are young does not mean you are not responsible for your actions. She's no longer a child. She's had time to reflect on her actions and she clearly does not regret them. From what I've read I doubt even if she did return she would go to prison since apparently joining and helping a terrorist organization isn't a crime in itself. I highly doubt she'd admit to crime so how is she even supposed to be rehabilitated.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get that the brain isn't fully developed at 15 but just because you are young does not mean you are not responsible for your actions. She's no longer a child. She's had time to reflect on her actions and she clearly does not regret them. From what I've read I doubt even if she did return she would go to prison since apparently joining and helping a terrorist organization isn't a crime in itself. I highly doubt she'd admit to crime so how is she even supposed to be rehabilitated.
At the time she went to join ISIS she was a minor, so her age at the time is absolutely relevant. She was then abused by ISIS, she is a victim of ISIS. She's just come out of an incredibly abusive, traumatizing, and dangerous environment where she was brainwashed into extremism, so yeah it's going to take time for her to realize the weight of what's happened to her and regret what she's done and what has been done to her. Britain literally has deradicalization programs that don't require the commission of a crime to be put into, so she can be placed in a deradicalization program, given mental health treatment, and evaluated from there.

Britain has designed a system for this exact issue, and people are advocating they not use it in this situation because they want to sate their blood lust and shes an easy target.

The extent of her crimes is that as a minor she was coerced into joining ISIS to become an underage sex slave. The fact that some of you can't muster up even a shred of empathy for her is seriously despicable.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not misquoting you at all. What you've said is clear, and it's a pretty disgusting mindset. You think you can label who does and does not have an 'evil soul', and you think a portion of people who are abused are inevitably going to abuse others regardless of whether or not they receive treatment because it's now 'who they are' and they are a lost cause.

No I said that people who commit horrible acts as adults don't get a pass because they were abused as children. That's not exactly a controversial statement. Also I never said any one was destined to be an abuser because they were abused.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
At the time she went to join ISIS she was a minor, so her age at the time is absolutely relevant. She was then abused by ISIS, she is a victim of ISIS. She's just come out of an incredibly abusive, traumatizing, and dangerous environment where she was brainwashed into extremism, so yeah it's going to take time for her to realize the weight of what's happened to her and regret what she's done and what has been done to her. Britain literally has deradicalization programs that don't require the commission of a crime to be put into, so she can be placed in a deradicalization program, given mental health treatment, and evaluated from there.

Britain has designed a system for this exact issue, and people are advocating they not use it in this situation because they want to sate their blood lust and shes an easy target.

To be more specific, David Javid personally designed that system, and was the one to defy it and revoke her citizenship when he knew it would make him look good in the papers.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No I said that people who commit horrible acts as adults don't get a pass because they were abused as children. That's not exactly a controversial statement. Also I never said any one was destined to be an abuser because they were abused.
That doesn't apply here because the horrible act she committed (joining ISIS) was done as a child and then her abuse resulted from that.

Childhood abuse is a mitigating factor even for adults who have done horrible things, especially if those things resulted directly from their abuse. An example of this would be the underage prostitute who murdered the man who bought her for sex. Murder is wrong, but the fact that he was raping her is relevant to her case and is a mitigating factor. This case is about a child who was coerced into joining a terrorist group and then abused by them. The fact that she was recruited by them as a minor so that they could abuse her is extremely relevant.

No one is saying she should 'get a pass' either so you can stop bringing up that strawman.
To be more specific, David Javid personally designed that system, and was the one to defy it and revoke her citizenship when he knew it would make him look good in the papers.
Which is complete bullshit.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't apply here because the horrible act she committed (joining ISIS) was done as a child and then her abuse resulted from that.

Childhood abuse is a mitigating factor even for adults who have done horrible things, especially if those things resulted directly from their abuse. An example of this would be the underage prostitute who murdered the man who bought her for sex. Murder is wrong, but the fact that he was raping her is relevant to her case and is a mitigating factor. This case is about a child who was coerced into joining a terrorist group and then abused by them. The fact that she was recruited by them as a minor so that they could abuse her is extremely relevant.

No one is saying she should 'get a pass' either so you can stop bringing up that strawman.

Which is complete bullshit.

To be fair going by her own words it does sound like she had already lent into this. She admits that watching decapatations on the internet was an inspiration for her to join which would give the impression she had already taken an interest in terrorism before actually making contact with any faction.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair going by her own words it does sound like she had already lent into this. She admits that watching decapatations on the internet was an inspiration for her to join which would give the impression she had already taken an interest in terrorism before actually making contact with any faction.
Yes, she was an impressionable teenager who was unable to fathom the consequences of her actions or the reality of the situation she was putting herself in. That invalidates nothing I've said, she was groomed into joining ISIS to be a sex slave, they didnt put a bag over her head and abduct her. Grooming implies that she willing went to ISIS, but was taken advantage of due to her vulnerability and lack of rational decision making skills.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, she was an impressionable teenager who was unable to fathom the consequences of her actions or the reality of the situation she was putting herself in. That invalidates nothing I've said, she was groomed into joining ISIS to be a sex slave, they didnt put a bag over her head and abduct her. Grooming implies that she willing went to ISIS, but was taken advantage of due to her vulnerability and lack of rational decision making

Sure I don't disagree, all I'm saying is it goes a bit deeper than just abuse victim. That doesn't mean that she wasn't or lessen it of course, but to simplify it down to abuse victim alone is reductive. She was an abuse victim after she decided terrorism was something she can take pleasure in before having an influencer. Sure we can hope to program it out of her in the same way it was additionally programmed into her, but it's more of an uphill road when the person was on that path of their own choice initially rather than lead into, then developed an interest. There's less familiar ground to find.

I never said anything about it invalidating your post anywhere in mine though. An arguement for sure could be made about how she initially started watching these sorts of things, but without a lot more insight it's hard to say whether she was lead there too, but her own wording implies she found her way there.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
And sometimes its the duty of the government to uphold human rights and the rule of law even when the average person doesn't give a shit.
I get what you're saying but I feel like you are also making a lot of assumptions and placing them on her. We don't know the extent of things that happened to her or what she also did over there.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
User Banned (2 Weeks): Xenophobia and Inflammatory Commentary
Yeah, that's what happens when you fail your citizens, especially minors. The idea that you think a 15 year old sex slave 'made her choices' displays a disgusting lack of empathy.

What was she doing to get sucked into this world in the first place? What were her family doing to protect her? From what I've read her schoolfriend went out there and encouraged her. Another of her school friends fathers was a Chowdhary extremist preaching hate. Its hard to have any empathy for such people. They are given the freedom to live in the UK, throw it back in our faces, and then have the usual crowd (known terrorist sympathiser Corbyn and Abbott) defending them and banging on about "human rights".

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What was she doing to get sucked into this world in the first place? What were her family doing to protect her? From what I've read her schoolfriend went out there and encouraged her. Another of her school friends fathers was a Chowdhary extremist preaching hate. Its hard to have any empathy for such people. They are given the freedom to live in the UK, throw it back in our faces, and then have the usual crowd (known terrorist sympathiser Corbyn and Abbott) defending them and banging on about "human rights".

Spoken like a true EDL.

To call anyone who believes this girl should have a fundamental human right terrorist sympathisers is disgusting.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
You have to be joking if you can't still how she may be a threat. She is and was unfazed by the beheadings to the point it was a huge factor she joined them. She still feels ISIL were right and we have nothing but her word that she never took part in any of it herself. Since she already left to join them there's an established possibility for her to act on any urges. She basically defended the Manchester bombing with a 'but'.

If you'd seen my earlier post, you would know I'm not advocating for re-entry without any checks. I think if she comes to the UK, she should have to be forced to undertake counselling at an asylum, till a time that doctors can decide she isn't a threat and they can deal with the impact of grooming and abuse.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Spoken like a true EDL.

To call anyone who believes this girl should have a fundamental human right terrorist sympathisers is disgusting.

I have no idea about the EDL other than they're some ultra right loony faction, so no, I'm not anything to do with that. Perhaps I reacted too strongly, it just frustrates me and I find it hard to empathise with her situation.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I never get how:

A) bending and breaking our own laws to protect our laws is seen as acceptable
B) why this goes hand in hand with an inability to hold two things as true at the same time: point A) + she clearly needs careful and serious handling by counter-terrorism whatevers.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
A doctor is never going to say someone isn't a threat when it's to do with radicalisation. A calling someone EDL just because they don't agree is the old Nazi-defense. She made her choices.

You seem to speak with some confidence. What proof do you have that someone can't be de-radicalised? You've made quite a sweeping statement, so I'd like to see proof of a consensus.

Also maybe EDL means something else to you. I only know EDL for the English Defence League, which is a pretty racist and nationalistic group in the UK. They are pretty much modern day Nazis. How does that become a defence of Nazis? The other thing is I don't think I called anyone that. If I did please quote it.

Oct 25, 2017
A doctor is never going to say someone isn't a threat when it's to do with radicalisation. A calling someone EDL just because they don't agree is the old Nazi-defense. She made her choices.

Clearly you've made your choices to spout utter nonsense.

"Known terrorist sympathisers". Goodness me. There's truly no shortage of lunatics in this thread.

Last edited:

Deleted member 30395

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Don't tell me what I find insulting buddy.

It is a waste of the taxpayer's money. They're gonna have to pay for this woman's defence. They're gonna have to pay for her imprisonment and they're gonna have to pay for her lifetime on social security. It's not only a waste of the taxpayer's money. It's a disgrace to ask the British people to support this woman for the rest of her life. She made her choice.

I ain't interested in your whataboutisms and it's none of your business how old I am.

Firstly, mentioning human rights and due process is not a 'what-about-ism'. Human rights are a fundamental right that we all share.

Secondly, I'm not telling you what you find insulting, I'm just asking you where I made a personal insult against you—which clearly you can't, because I didn't.

You clearly have a total lack of human empathy, and despite a number of posters giving you logical, reason based arguments you keep falling back to this very 'black and white' knee jerk, emotion based take on the situation.

w00tmanUK

Nov 9, 2017
I mis-explained my point; apologies but it came across the opposite of what I intended - I think there is absolutely something that could or should have been done differently, but I'm worried about putting all of the "is this person "safe" now?" pressure onto a doctor.

w00tmanUK

Nov 9, 2017
You seem to speak with some confidence. What proof do you have that someone can't be de-radicalised? You've made quite a sweeping statement, so I'd like to see proof of a consensus.

Also maybe EDL means something else to you. I only know EDL for the English Defence League, which is a pretty racist and nationalistic group in the UK. They are pretty much modern day Nazis. How does that become a defence of Nazis? The other thing is I don't think I called anyone that. If I did please quote it.
Hey no, sorry badly worded - absolutely people can change, my point is putting a "certification" from a doctor as the yay/nay leaves me feeling uncomfortable. She made her choices, and it would have to be compelling to see what or how her beliefs had changed. But can it happen? absolutely - anyone can change. I just don't like the pressure of a doctor having to essentially certify it.

The EDL thing is that people who call each other EDL, Nazi etc, just leads the conversation to be derailed - so they "defend" themselves by objecting to use of the term, rather than the point that leads people to believe that.

Sorry, snatched comment mid-gaming session, came across the opposite of my point.

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018
Making a decision 100% off your own back to go somewhere where you happen to be abused =/= grooming.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

The Guardian: Two more women held in Syrian camps 'stripped of British citizenship'
Two more British women who are being held in Syrian camps with their young children have reportedly had their citizenship removed.
The move comes as the home secretary, Sajid Javid, faces increasing criticism over the case of Shamima Begum, the 19-year-old Londoner who was stripped of her British citizenship on his orders, after the death of her three-week-old son.
The other women were named by the Sunday Times as two sisters, Reema, 30, and Zara Iqbal, 28, who are said to have five sons under the age of eight between them and have been widowed after their husbands died fighting for Islamic State.
The sisters, from Canning Town in east London, are believed to be living in separate Syrian camps, where tens of thousands of people have have flocked amid the disintegration of the "Isis caliphate".
A Home Office spokesperson said: "We do not comment on individual cases. Any decisions to deprive individuals of their citizenship are based on all available evidence and not taken lightly."
In response to reports of the latest two cases, sources at the department briefed that any "deprivation decision" had been judgments taken on the facts of each case.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
And sometimes its the duty of the government to uphold human rights and the rule of law even when the average person doesn't give a shit.

The thing is our government doesn't care about human rights of its innocent citizens, let alone someone who runs off to join a terrorist group. Whatever happens the government will most certainly deal with this in the worst possible way.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Thing is, she was brainwashed not groomed. There's no guarantee that coding isn't still in her head and if she comes back and goes to jail she can try and convert people there. There really isn't any safe way of keeping her arrested for the crimes she's commited other than house arrest forever, but even then you can't be sure what she might do.

Even if this is true (and it is absolutely not), then surely the right thing to do is to detain her and not leave her free to kill a load of innocent Syrians?

Its really strange how so many of these "shes a monster and deserves everything she gets" are perfectly fine for her to be free - just as long as its not in the UK!

As I said, comically naïve.

Not really, you only have to look at the efforts of denazification or similar with other fascist societies post ww2 to see that.

This post is disgusting

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone should get a trial no matter the crime, it's hard to preach about our rights to others if they can be stripped from you without due process.

Deleted member 1445

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't be possible to strip someone of their citizenship extra-judicially. A trial should be required. Now it's being abused by racists like it's a fucking driver's license or something, fucking hell.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the difference between an underage girl who was groomed by abusive evil men for their own personal gain in rotherhan, and an underage girl who was groomed by abusive and evil men for their own personal gain by IS?

When is it okay to abandon and ignore a victim of child grooming who was let down by the system, and when is it not?

KillGore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
So how was she groomed again? Didn't she willingly leave to a terrorist organization? How brainwashed her in the UK?

Also, Jesus this forum. For being such an open/accepting place, you sure do love to quickly play the "racist", "sexist", and "xenophobic" cards. If the person were a white christian (or atheist) man joining ISIS (or any other terrorist organization), I would still say he needs to be in jail life or be exiled. Not everything has to be about race guys, lol.

Deleted member 1445

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how was she groomed again? Didn't she willingly leave to a terrorist organization? How brainwashed her in the UK?

Also, Jesus this forum. For being such an open/accepting place, you sure do love to quickly play the "racist", "sexist", and "xenophobic" cards. If the person were a white christian (or atheist) man joining ISIS (or any other terrorist organization), I would still say he needs to be in jail life or be exiled. Not everything has to be about race guys, lol.
There hasn't been a trial. So yes, it is fucking racist and/or xenophobic to circumvent due process, just because someone has a citizenship of another country.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
When is it okay to abandon and ignore a victim of child grooming who was let down by the system, and when is it not?

When? At some point before they hit 15, I think. You can be half that age and realize that murdering and torturing people in the name of "god" isn't right.

You call it grooming, but at some point you've got to want to be groomed.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
What's the difference between an underage girl who was groomed by abusive evil men for their own personal gain in rotherhan, and an underage girl who was groomed by abusive and evil men for their own personal gain by IS?

When the Daily Mail tells you she's evil. Duh. Helps if she shows signs of being anti-British, like being brown.

KillGore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
There hasn't been a trial. So yes, it is fucking racist and/or xenophobic to circumvent due process, just because someone has a citizenship of another country.

Agree to disagree. Not every choice people make is about race. The focus here is about a terrorist organization, not about how brown she looks, how she dresses or who she believes in. Sure, there will be people wanting her punished because they are racist, but not everyone is like that.

What if an arab muslim on this forum agrees that she should be jailed or exiled? Let me guess, sexist?

What if a female arab muslim agrees that she should be jailed or exiled? What will be the excuse then?

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
When? At some point before they hit 15, I think. You can be half that age and realize that murdering and torturing people in the name of "god" isn't right.

So let's get this straight, because I want what you're saying to be absolutely clear. By the age of eight you're completely responsible for your own actions, with a good understanding of what's right, and you can only be 'groomed' if you want to be. Whether that's by a terrorist group or a child sex ring doesn't matter - you know what's right and wrong and it's your fault.

KillGore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Lots of talks about grooming. Was she groomed before she left? I thought she wasn't. Also, if she wasn't, then how do you know she was groomed afterwards?

If she left with a certain state of mind/thought, that ISIS was good, maybe she didn't need much or any grooming at all. How do you even measure or prove that?

Oct 26, 2017
Making a decision 100% off your own back to go somewhere where you happen to be abused =/= grooming.

You're still beating this drum. What a weird hill. She was a child and she was coaxed and persuaded into sex (in a warzone!) by older men. This is grooming.

Ahh yes, the classic rapist defense. "she wanted it" fuck me some of you lot are absolute cretins.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Lots of talks about grooming. Was she groomed before she left? I thought she wasn't. Also, if she wasn't, then how do you know she was groomed afterwards?

If she left with a certain state of mind/thought, that ISIS was good, maybe she didn't need much or any grooming at all. How do you even measure or prove that?

Lol. You guys are killing me and are being willfully obtuse. There are TONS of news articles on how Isis preys on young teens because they are vulnerable. This is an R. Kelly/MJ -esque defense.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You're still beating this drum. What a weird hill. She was a child and she was coaxed and persuaded into sex (in a warzone!) by older men. This is grooming.

Ahh yes, the classic rapist defense. "she wanted it" fuck me some of you lot are absolute cretins.

You're ignoring why she went there. Because she wanted to help terrorists. We know she watched people die there and we have nothing but her word that she wasn't the executioner herself sometimes.

Oct 26, 2017
Lol. You guys are killing me and are being willfully obtuse. There are TONS of news articles on how Isis preys on young teens because they are vulnerable. This is an R. Kelly/MJ -esque defense.

Exactly, this is a very known quantity.

You're ignoring why she went there. Because she wanted to help terrorists. We know she watched people die there and we have nothing but her word that she wasn't the executioner herself sometimes.

So you think she saw a couple of videos online and ran to the airport and shouted ONE TICKET TO THE CALIPHATE PLEASE. She would have been talking to older men online who were in ISIS. This process is well known. I'd be surprised if she did anything other than be raped a lot, considering ISIS ideology on what women can do.

KillGore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico

I'm just asking for source on when was Begum groomed. You're not providing any source, just your typical resetera comment.

Last edited:

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

To say that she went there to help terrorists ignores the issue of ISIS, religious zealotry and cultism and is a simplistic take to a complex issue as if ISIS is a hollywood group of badguys twirling moustaches. They hit you with the fact that its all western propaganda first, they hide most of the violence early on in the grooming process, they have programs to intentionally slowly introduce and de-program fighters to violence. Like i dont get these cartoonish takes on them as an org when there's so much documentation and news stories describing how they work

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, this is a very known quantity.

So you think she saw a couple of videos online and ran to the airport and shouted ONE TICKET TO THE CALIPHATE PLEASE. She would have been talking to older men online who were in ISIS. This process is well known. I'd be surprised if she did anything other than be raped a lot, considering ISIS ideology on what women can do.

She explicitly stated that watching beheadings was one of her leading interests into joining so yes, going by her words which is all we have, she watched those of her own choice, decided she liked them of her own choice and wasn't initiating contact until after she already had taken an interest in terrorism.

I mean the last bit is literally just saying, well she probably didn't kill anyone. But we have no proof of that one way or another, but we DO know she enjoyed those killings and feels they were justified so at best, she never got handed the axe, at best. Because it's clear from her own words had she been handed it she'd swing it all too happily.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just asking for source on when was Begum groomed. You're not providing any source, just your typical claim.

Where do you think the stolen passports they used to board flights as unaccompanied 15 year olds came from?

Where do you think the idea that ANY of this could ever have been a good idea came from?

You think she was just naturally predisposed to supporting something like IS?

She was obviously radicalised by something or someone and those people gave her the means to then travel on some other person's passport and join them.

KillGore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Where do you think the stolen passports they used to board flights as unaccompanied 15 year olds came from?

Where do you think the idea that ANY of this could ever have been a good idea came from?

You think she was just naturally predisposed to supporting something like IS?

She was obviously radicalised by something or someone and those people gave her the means to then travel on some other person's passport and join them.

Honestly didn't know they had stolen passports.

Deleted member 1445

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agree to disagree. Not every choice people make is about race. The focus here is about a terrorist organization, not about how brown she looks, how she dresses or who she believes in. Sure, there will be people wanting her punished because they are racist, but not everyone is like that.

What if an arab muslim on this forum agrees that she should be jailed or exiled? Let me guess, sexist?

What if a female arab muslim agrees that she should be jailed or exiled? What will be the excuse then?
Yeah, lots of racist tropes in your posts, like your use of imaginary prop arab muslims in order to prove that it's somehow not racist...

I don't know if you have trouble comprehending things, but I was really clear in that this is about the removal of citizenship being extrajudicial. We have due process for a reason. If you try to circumvent it, because in this case you're labeling someone with dual nationality essentially as a foreigner, then yes, that's fucking racist. What's your problem with simply having a trial and locking them up, just like every other citizen? Why does it need to be different in this case? The only difference is dual nationality. It's as clear as can be.