• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
I feel sorry for her child. But do you know what? She gets to keep her child, and see it grow up. Unlike the parents of the kids of the Manchester bombing that this person said ISIS were within their rights to kill.

They are the true victims here. And anyone else that ISIS killed. Where are their rights?

No they aren't, don't be dramatic. She has nothing to do with them. Or is everyone who ever voiced support for the Iraq War culpable for the (much higher) number of dead there?

Don't get me wrong, it is a shitty thing to say about the Manchester bombing, but it is just an opinion.

She should be brought back to the Uk and made to face justice as a British citizen. Kicking her out only exposes her and her child to greater radicalisation.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Except its not that simple. They also have to prove they actively went against the crown or the country's best interests and other steps

Don't know whether you've seen Boris Johnson's position on Brexit, but he's done more active harm to the country than a dozen radicalised British schoolgirls.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus Christ guys

ERA "Bastion of progressive values" dont make me fucking sick. as soon asthere is something you guys dont understand all that shit goes out the door. its progressive values for me but not for everyone else.

[...]

To advocate for revenge or stripping of her citizenship means that you dont give a shit about preventing terrorism. you dont give a shit about protecting children in dangerous situations and you certainty dont give a shit about basic human rights.

You know, I'm really glad to see some people out there with this viewpoint. Because I've been pretty shocked to see the tone here has mostly been the same as the vile underbelly of Facebook and the gutter press.

I wonder wtf must be in your head to decide to join ISIS at 15.

The misguided dreams told to her that she was doing something noble, fighting for her people, special, a heroine/bride of justice, probably. They sold her a fantasy that the young, inexperienced, lonely, impressionable and insecure find very attractive. All things that teenagers tend to have in some measure. And now she's living in squalor, married again and again to probable near strangers, having babies only to have them die in that same filth. It's horrible. Whatever you think of her, she's been reaping what she's sown.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If a 13 year old is groomed to join a cult I'm certain they are usually deemed a victim.

She isn't completly innocent but it's scary to me how her age at which this began seems to have become irrelevant to many.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder wtf must be in your head to decide to join ISIS at 15.
Hatred. We have young white kids joining Neo Nazi groups who openly use violence against British minorities, have killed a member of Parliament, but we wont strip them of their citizenship for being associated to them.
You know, I'm really glad to see some people out there with this viewpoint. Because I've been pretty shocked to see the tone here has mostly been the same as the vile underbelly of Facebook and the gutter press.
Agreed. The precedent this sets is a dangerous one too, as seen by the Windrush scandal. Infact, Sajid Javid as Home Secretary was perhaps the best move the Tories could've made to double down on their hostile environment policy and sidestep the obvious tiered treatment based on heritage. Hope the law comes through here, this isnt right, everyone should be judge on equal terms, no matter how heinous the crime .

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hang on I've just read home office minister Ben Wallace confirmed last year that an estimated 400 Britons had returned to the uk from fighting in the middle East with ISIS and others groups.

How exactly is that deemed acceptable yet this girl gets her citizenship revoked.

Fcuk Sajid Javid!!! His simply trying to appease the right.

Well done to Diane Abbott, the SNP and Lib Dems who have criticised this decision.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Not only is she a threat, she will only lead to further right wing thoughts from the UK Population if she is allowed back into the country.

Not letting her back into the country is in itself a right wing thought

Fixed that for you there.

They can't just go around pulling citizenship for any reason. It has to be justifiable.

Being a terrorist is a justifiable reason

I would have thought an Irish person would have a more nuanced perspective on the British government making someone stateless just cos "terrorist"

I feel sorry for her child. But do you know what? She gets to keep her child, and see it grow up. Unlike the parents of the kids of the Manchester bombing that this person said ISIS were within their rights to kill.

They are the true victims here. And anyone else that ISIS killed. Where are their rights?

A terrorist bombed the Manchester Arena, obviously for that reason we should force a potential/actual terrorist who was radicalised in Britain on Syria/Bangladesh, and deny her 2 day old child the chance of a normal life in the UK

Truly the actions of a civilised country

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I believe they were able to come back themselves, with no mechanism for the government to stop them doing so. Begum was publicly asking to be brought back with a mechanism and precedent for revoking her citizenship.

But these people would be arrested, investigated and if found to be guilty of crimes punished.

That is how justice works rather than just dumping someone not liked on somebody else with no judicial process at all.

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that she was radicalised at 13 (give or take) is pertinent, but presumably so is the fact that now, as an adult she still believes she was in the right and shows no remorse or regret. Does it then follow that she is still radicalised, and is there an argument that she should be allowed back to the country in where she can be kept better under a watchful eye?

Deleted member 6733

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a tough one but I think the right decision was made.

If she showed an ounce of remorse and genuinely wanted to reintegrate then maybe I'd have been more supportive but she's clearly trying to abuse the system she renounced and has no remorse whatsoever. And the general tone of her communications has done her no favour whatsoever in the court of public opinion.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
it really bothers me how she doesn't show any remorse.

I don't know how secure these camps are but it's possible she is a target if she goes against her views while there and with no way out? Might be illogical however, if she regretted everything, would she already be back in the UK, I don't know.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Seems pretty black and white that she should return. She was radicalised here (UK) is a British citizen, and has no other citizenship. Home Office "believes" her mum is from Bangladesh, but the daughter didn't apply for citizenship. So even if she can apply for Bangladeshi citizenship, she's stateless right now.

And honestly, most of the discourse in this thread seems entirely revenge-induced and disgusting, stuff I would expect to read on Guido Fawkes or the Daily Mail. She was groomed here, she's our problem, no one else's. Bring her back, jail her, rehabilitate her, give the baby to a better family. Turning her away just keeps the cycle going and shows we don't care about taking the hard but just choice.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if the British government decides just to wait until she's on her way and take her straight into custody, it sounds like it's unlikely she'll actually make it here without assistance that they're never going to provide. Seems like the solution is simple.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems pretty black and white that she should return. She was radicalised here (UK) is a British citizen, and has no other citizenship. Home Office "believes" her mum is from Bangladesh, but the daughter didn't apply for citizenship. So even if she can apply for Bangladeshi citizenship, she's stateless right now.

And honestly, most of the discourse in this thread seems entirely revenge-induced and disgusting, stuff I would expect to read on Guido Fawkes or the Daily Mail. She was groomed here, she's our problem, no one else's. Bring her back, jail her, rehabilitate her, give the baby to a better family. Turning her away just keeps the cycle going and shows we don't care about taking the hard but just choice.

The assumption seems to be she has default Bangladeshi citizenship under Jus Sanguinis. The whole issue of whether she can come back seems to hinge on this.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
She was never going to be allowed back after this media tour she did. She publicised herself and made it a matter of public interest. From what I understand she also didn't enter Turkey/Syria using here own passport, she used her sisters and it was confiscated. So for her to come back to the UK government would have needed to actively help her. No chance they were going to risk the public backlash. If she really wanted to come back she should have kept her mouth shut, never done any interviews and just tried to do it quietly through the relevant channels.

She also dug her grave even more with how remorseless she was in the interviews. She effectively justified the killing of innocent kids but today said it was "unfair" that the UK revoked her citizenship? Woooooooooow, the lack of self awareness this women has is insane.

Deleted member 6733

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She was never going to be allowed back after this media tour she did. She publicised herself and made it a matter of public interest. From what I understand she also didn't enter Turkey/Syria using here own passport, she used her sisters and it was confiscated. So for her to come back to the UK government would have needed to actively help her. No chance they were going to risk the public backlash. If she really wanted to come back she should have kept her mouth shut, never done any interviews and just tried to do it quietly through the relevant channels.

She also dug her grave even more with how remorseless she was in the interviews. She effectively justified the killing of innocent kids but today said it was "unfair" that the UK revoked her citizenship? Woooooooooow, the lack of self awareness this women has is insane.

Spot on. She done herself no favours whatsoever.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017

There are plenty of politicians in this country that have not only justified, but actively made decisions which had led to the deaths of innocent kids. A lot of citizenships need to be revoked if that is the standard.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news...a-bit-shocked-that-uk-has-revoked-citizenship

Shamima Begum, the teenager who travelled from east London to Syria to join Islamic State in 2015, has described Home Office plans to strip her of citizenship as "kind of heart-breaking".

"I don't know what to say," she told ITV News. "I am not that shocked but I am a bit shocked. It's a bit upsetting and frustrating. I feel like it's a bit unjust on me and my son."
The home secretary, Sajid Javid, wrote to her family informing them he had made an order revoking her citizenship. He said the fact Begum's parents are of Bangladeshi heritage means she can apply for citizenship of that country – though Begum says she has never been there.

The ITV News security editor, Rohit Kachroo, showed her a copy of the letter at the Syriarefugee camp where she is being held.
She said of the letter: "It's kind of heart-breaking to read. My family made it sound like it would be a lot easier for me to come back to the UK when I was speaking to them in Baghouz. It's kind of hard to swallow.
"I heard that other people are being sent back to Britain so I don't know why my case is any different to other people, or is it just because I was on the news four years ago?" she said.

"Another option I might try with my family is my husband is from Holland and he has family in Holland. Maybe I can ask for citizenship in Holland. If he gets sent back to prison in Holland I can just wait for him while he is in prison."
Javid is facing condemnation from Labour over his move to remove British citizenship from Begum.

On Wednesday morning the solicitor for the Begum family, Tasnime Akunjee, said the home secretary's actions were excessive because the government had allowed hundreds of Britons to return, some of whom were suspected of fighting for Isis. The teenager was not suspected of being an Isis fighter and has claimed she was a housewife while married to a suspected Isis fighter.
Akunjee said: "I am very disappointed in Sajid Javid's decision to attempt to strip Ms Begum of her British citizenship.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017

Another option I might try with my family is my husband is from Holland and he has family in Holland. Maybe I can ask for citizenship in Holland. If he gets sent back to prison in Holland I can just wait for him while he is in prison."
This shit actually makes me angry as hell. Wait for him? He should get life imprisonment if he really did fight with IS, fuck him. The fact that she's deciding to stay with him says enough about her wanting to distance herself from this whole ordeal.
They probably won't give her citizenship here anyway, maybe the poor child.

Deleted member 6733

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This shit actually makes me angry as hell. Wait for him? He should get life imprisonment if he really did fight with IS, fuck him. The fact that she's deciding to stay with him says enough about her wanting to distance herself from this whole ordeal.
They probably won't give her citizenship here anyway, maybe the poor child.

Honestly everything that comes out of her mouth infuriates me.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ guys

ERA "Bastion of progressive values" dont make me fucking sick. as soon asthere is something you guys dont understand all that shit goes out the door. its progressive values for me but not for everyone else.

That woman would have been more useful to us in the UK, her child would be safer and less likely to also be radicalized in the UK.
By agreeing to the stripping of her citizenship we are setting a really bad precedent. All because of your fucking feels.
the only and correct way to deal with this situation is:

- Managed return to UK
- Criminal investigation
- Deradicalisation
- Care for baby

To advocate for revenge or stripping of her citizenship means that you dont give a shit about preventing terrorism. you dont give a shit about protecting children in dangerous situations and you certainty dont give a shit about basic human rights.
Agree with this.

Juj

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
She is unsympathetic af. That is true. But in a country where it's the law and human rights govern then we cannot take decisions based on feelings and the like.

Also it sets a very bad, untenable precedent to deny her access when we in western states at the same time require or ask for foreign countries to take in criminal nationals that we have kicked out of the country for example.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
She should be tried in court here and her blameless child should be able to return.

Like the death penalty, a government being able to revoke citizenship isn't something that should exist in our legal apparatus.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Now come on this not the same as the sort of stuff you get on Facebook as that stuff is truly vile, if it were that type of stuff this thread would be locked and there would be many bans would there not?

No, a lot of it's exactly the same arguments. I'm seeing the same arguments reposted on racist alt-right pro-Brexit pages and here.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
"I joined ISIS"
"Yeah, please don't come back"
"I don't care that I saw dead bodies and heads decapitated"
"Yeah, nah, your UK passport is void"
"But... But why?"
"Do you really have to ask?"
"I named my baby after a Jew murderer!"
"You... you just keep digging that hole..."

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I haven't been following the story, but I would have thought that if she's still a British citizen, she should be brought back and appropriately charged with what she has done. I suppose it would just be easier to cut ties and leave her there though, although I don't know if there is any protocol for revoking citizenship.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
There are plenty of politicians in this country that have not only justified, but actively made decisions which had led to the deaths of innocent kids. A lot of citizenships need to be revoked if that is the standard.
Difference is no UK politician is seeking citizenship/relocation to Iraq or Afghanistan. If Blair had any right to Iraqi or Afghanistani citizenship and he ever tried to seek relocation to Iraq or Afghanistan don't worry he face an even bigger backlash.

In the same breath this girls is seeking assistance from a country in which she justified the killing of it's own kids. Seems like a case of have your cake and eat. I hate your country, I hate your people, I hate your way of life, I joined and supported a group that actively called for the destruction of your country, I support the killing of your kids but oh did I mention I want to come back and live here. Wtf......

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't been following the story, but I would have thought that if she's still a British citizen, she should be brought back and appropriately charged with what she has done. I suppose it would just be easier to cut ties and leave her there though, although I don't know if there is any protocol for revoking citizenship.

Leave her where, Syria?

Syria I would expect will want to deport her.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the only and correct way to deal with this situation is:

- Managed return to UK
- Criminal investigation
- Deradicalisation
- Care for baby

I kinda agree, but a couple of things:

- Managed return is a waste of resources and an unnecessary risk to the wellbeing of agents/officials. Don't prevent her return, but that shit is on her to sort out. The handcuffs will be waiting at Heathrow.
- Given the history of attempting deradicalisation, I'm not sure it's worth the investment on someone so vocally unrepentant.

Oct 30, 2017
Hang on I've just read home office minister Ben Wallace confirmed last year that an estimated 400 Britons had returned to the uk from fighting in the middle East with ISIS and others groups.

How exactly is that deemed acceptable yet this girl gets her citizenship revoked.

Fcuk Sajid Javid!!! His simply trying to appease the right.

Well done to Diane Abbott, the SNP and Lib Dems who have criticised this decision.

I've changed my tune a bit as more facts have come to light and the bold bit is the main reason why.

I think by making her story public to begin with rather than trying to quietly return to Britain she's put herself in the spotlight (or her family has)

And this case is seen as an 'easy' win to cheer up the 'masses' while never releasing any historic facts or news of significance

I wouldn't go out of my way to 'bring her home' but if she happens to make her own way back then she can be dealt with accordingly and the kid put up for adoption (if necessary) (probably will be)

And closely monitor her and all her contacts until deemed not a security risk. Or for life if needs be

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've changed my tune a bit as more facts have come to light and the bold bit is the main reason why.

I think by making her story public to begin with rather than trying to quietly return to Britain she's put herself in the spotlight (or her family has)

And this case is seen as an 'easy' win to cheer up the 'masses' while never releasing any historic facts or news of significance

I wouldn't go out of my way to 'bring her home' but if she happens to make her own way back then she can be dealt with accordingly and the kid put up for adoption

And closely monitor her and all her contacts until deemed not a security risk. Or for life if needs be

I understand that. This would never have been a story if say the Syrian government was in a position to say deport her. They would of wanted to deport her back to Britain and this wouldn't have been seen as some kind of ridiculous act which the home office should oppose. Like it or not she has to land somewhere and there is no reason why it shouldn't be Britain as she is British.