• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
Long overdue. Why was a statue of a slave trader still up in 2020?
The people getting mad about it are more offended about a fucking statue than the rights of their fellow men and women is sickening.

It's exactly why now is the time to finally pull down their monuments to our oppression.

I need a supercut of all these being torn down. They should play it on national television.

Camoxide

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
UK
Could do with tearing this fuckers statue down too.

Sir_Francis_Drake_statue_at_Plymouth.jpg

Sir Francis Drake in Plymouth.
Ent no way the locals would allow this one to come down.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017

(I don't know much about UK politics, if this guy is problematic lemme know)

a statue isn't a proper history lesson anyways, it's commemorating a murderer and hiding his crimes. If you want to teach about the atrocities of a slave trader, maybe don't have a fucking effigy devoted to him and teach it in history books and classes.

He's not wrong, our history classes at school are terrible for skating over all the horrible things we've done.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
One of the most common arguments i'm seeing is people saying "the statues are there to remind us of the bad things we've done so we don't do them again and destroying them is just erasing history and we can't learn from that"

But are we really learning anything from statues that fucking celebrate the assholes who committed these atrocities? If i walked past this statue in the street and didn't know what he had done I wouldn't learn anything from it would I?

Have we fucking learned anything? No because Racism is still rampant.

Fuck anyone who is against this honestly, there is no good excuse

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, but if all the statues of slave traders are torn down how will people learn that trading slaves was bad? Everybody will be like "Damn, now that I don't see this monument commemorating a slave trader all the time, maybe I should start trading slaves!"

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The statue hasn't been destroyed, so history hasn't been destroyed as some are saying on Twitter. This is merely a part of its history. When we're brave enough to confront our own past this statue can be displayed again in the right setting, damage and all with the appropriate information and context on who he was and why the statue was defaced.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
If anyone wants to learn more about Bristol and the slave trade, the new House through time series is focused on that. Its very interesting. Odd how things run in parallel. Watched the first episode this morning, turn on twitter and this happens.

OP
OP
Midgarian

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Lol fuck off.
It baffles me the kind of shit she says, despite being a PoC...especially one with Indian origin she should be well aware of how British treated Indians.
There's a type of British Asian that smugly act in solidarity with right wing whites. The crazier of these types love to play up the "Aryan" angle of their Indian identity.

It sometimes overlaps with a demographic of British Sikhs/Hindus who have a weird fetish of being Islamophobic to their fellow British Asians of Pakistani origin (I know that goes the other way as well, brown on brown racism is idiotic considering how both are looked down upon by the white dominant hegemony).

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is excellent. I also love how they put the damn thing in the harbour to make sure.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
There's a type of British Asian that smugly act in solidarity with right wing whites. The crazier of these types love to play up the "Aryan" angle of their Indian identity.

It sometimes overlaps with a demographic of British Sikhs/Hindus who have a weird fetish of being Islamophobic to their fellow British Asians of Pakistani origin (I know that goes the other way as well, brown on brown racism is idiotic considering how both are looked down upon by the white dominant hegemony).
IIRC she's of Ugandan Asian descent, seem to recall that her folks fled Idi Amun's regime some time back. May go to some way in accounting for her thought pattern...

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
wait until you hear what Gandhi has to say about black people.

Gandhi outgrew his racism, though. He was racist during his early years as a lawyer in South Africa, but as he became an independence activist, he repeatedly spoke in favour of Africans and against their oppression.

I won't tell black people how to feel about him, but it always irks me when people selectively quote Gandhi from his early years to hold him up as a model of Indian racism when he could instead showcase how a racist man can change into something better.

www.telegraphindia.com

How Gandhi shed his racist robe

While as a young man Gandhi may have been a racist, over time he overcame his racism comprehensively

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they should replace that statue with one of Paul Dirac. obviously that plinth is too small for Daddy G, 3D and Mushroom :-)
No Dirac statue? That's a travesty - fix that now...
I know this guy is banned but I still want to address this in case someone else feels like they find themselves agreeing to this.

The camps are a historical site which were created for something terrible and as such they are here to remember. A statue is created to celebrate and honour something. The purpose of each of them existing is different.

You don't use a statue, that was made to celebrate someone, in place to remember the atrocities they committed.
I had wondered why my idea of a Jimmy Saville statue didn't work out.

And Priti Patel, fuck you - you coconut...

Excellent. Green Brigade who are a group of Celtic fans put up some new street names in Glasgow. Streets named after slave owners.

Fixed and nice touch at the end.

ps3ud0 8)

Last edited:

kharma45

Oct 26, 2017
gonna have to wait a while for that. it simply wouldn't fly in the uk right now and even his detractors concede his value at that moment. One thing that could be a start is to adequately cite what these people did honestly and directly. "Led nation during wwii but also oversaw and ordered atrocities againsthis fellow men" - at least then the heritage and history argument is real -

Could go for that.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Amazing. I say keep the statue in some museum now, along with these videos and more info about the shit white slavers did.

Oct 26, 2017

This is a beautiful picture.

The actions of the man who is memorialized in that statue helped pave the way for the entire system that exists today that allows for black men to be murdered in the streets by "law enforcement." George Floyd can be traced back to that man.

And now, seeing the black youth kneeling on his neck, all these hundreds of years later. After countless deaths and bloodshed and tears and heartache.

Beautiful.

I'm not usually a fan of what Google does, but this is good.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

always the same shit, always

"do this thing that actualizes the cause you're fighting for to an extent I'm uncomfortable with, and you'll actually be undermining yourselves!"

the parameters for what constitutes proper protest are purposely made to be as narrow as possible by these people, and we shouldn't give an inch of ground to them

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
People want to commemorate history? Put up a statue in tribute to all the slaves who worked and died under his thumb.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"How will we learn if we destroy the statues?!"

These people have a point. I know during my formative years in the public school system, the way I learned was by daily field trips to the statue garden. And it wasn't just history too. It was math, science, English, all those things.

Is that not how everyone else is taught?

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
This is awesome. Love how much this is spreading in the UK. Someone put street signs featuring names like Rosa Parks, George Floyd, etc in Glasgow city centre where the streets are named after plantation owners.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...er-streets-renamed-by-anti-racist-campaigners

Unrelated but my school was founded by a slave trader who opened the school, as my classics teacher told me, as his act of redemption to get to heaven

Reallllly hope the people who did it don't get fucked for it.

Bristol City Council can go get fucked.

Oct 26, 2017

These people have a point. I know during my formative years in the public school system, the way I learned was by daily field trips to the statue garden. And it wasn't just history too. It was math, science, English, all those things.

People saying we need to keep the statues because they're important history lessons are so full of shit.

If they're that concerned about the historical significance of statues, let's put up statues that celebrate and remember the names of the slaves who were sold in those cities. Start naming streets and buildings after the slaves rather than the owners. That way, the victims are memorialized and remembered, and the perpetrators rot.

Bring this idea up every time someone talks about the importance of a statue in "remembering history" and see how fast they shut up.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017

The funny thing is that if you mentioned Edward Colston to anyone outside of Bristol, maybe even most people in Bristol, they probably won't know who the fuck you were talking about. Now, if you also mention he's the guy who had his statue ripped down and thrown in the sea then a lot more people will know who you're talking about so this is a great educational moment.

On a slightly related note, how would people feel if the statue was recovered and put in a museum with a full explanation of who he was and why it was forcibly taken down by protesters? There's a good argument that it belongs at the bottom of the sea but I think and hope this could also be an important moment in recent history. A lasting monument to the rejection of racism and the slave trade rather than in celebration of one of the monsters behind it.

Oct 29, 2017

Reallllly hope the people who did it don't get fucked for it.

See, this is the problem really. Pulling down the statue is great but everyone is so eager to get their own video of the event and share it and we're all so excited to consume it that police end up with shitloads of footage from every angle and can probably pretty readily identify people from it.

Hoping nobody gets convicted.