• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
He looks so sad when being tossed into the river:

artWRXi.png

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
I think there are a couple of criteria you can use to judge whether or not a statue should be put up / remain in place

1. What is the purpose of the statue?

2. What is the primary legacy of the person being commemorated?

3. Does the statue have some special artistic / historical legacy?

I think this statue fairly clearly fails to meet these criteria. 1) It was put up to celebrate the individual who we all agree (I hope) was immoral. 2) is the the area of ambiguity which explains why it was put up in the first place. I suppose the perception in the 1890s was that his primary legacy was his philanthropic work. I think at this point we'd all agree that him being a slave trader is more significant. 3) The statue has no real artistic / historical significance.

Regardless, I think this criteria helps sort out some of the discussion happening above. The pyramids or w/e clearly have significant historical and artistic value. The primary purpose of keeping auschwitz nowerdays educate people etc. Another example is I think having a statue of William of Orange in Westminster to celebrate the (so called) glorious revolution seems fine whereas having the same statue in Derry to commemorate the Siege of Derry is clearly a sectarian attack on the Catholics who live there.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
These statues are literally putting racism on a pedestal.

It blows my mind that the US can prop up confederacy related statues and fly confederate flags, an enemy to the union. How can you be proud to be an american when you want to fly the flag of defeated traitors?
US should have dismantled the confederacy in its entirety after winning. By letting the remnants stay around it gave rise to favourable sentiments for the confederacy.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
This should be done to Washington in Union Square Park, NYC. We don't need to glorify slave owners

Thomas Jefferson, known slave rapist, also needs to get that work. Hell, he even spooked fellow slaveholder Washington in how hard he dehumanized black folks:
www.smithsonianmag.com

The Dark Side of Thomas Jefferson

A new portrait of the founding father challenges the long-held perception of Thomas Jefferson as a benevolent slaveholder
The critical turning point in Jefferson's thinking may well have come in 1792. As Jefferson was counting up the agricultural profits and losses of his plantation in a letter to President Washington that year, it occurred to him that there was a phenomenon he had perceived at Monticello but never actually measured. He proceeded to calculate it in a barely legible, scribbled note in the middle of a page, enclosed in brackets.

What Jefferson set out clearly for the first time was that he was making a 4 percent profit every year on the birth of black children. The enslaved were yielding him a bonanza, a perpetual human dividend at compound interest. Jefferson wrote, "I allow nothing for losses by death, but, on the contrary, shall presently take credit four per cent. per annum, for their increase over and above keeping up their own numbers." His plantation was producing inexhaustible human assets. The percentage was predictable.
The irony is that Jefferson sent his 4 percent formula to George Washington, who freed his slaves, precisely because slavery had made human beings into money, like "Cattle in the market," and this disgusted him. Yet Jefferson was right, prescient, about the investment value of slaves. A startling statistic emerged in the 1970s, when economists taking a hardheaded look at slavery found that on the eve of the Civil War, enslaved black people, in the aggregate, formed the second most valuable capital asset in the United States.

David Brion Davis sums up their findings: "In 1860, the value of Southern slaves was about three times the amount invested in manufacturing or railroads nationwide." The only asset more valuable than the black people was the land itself. The formula Jefferson had stumbled upon became the engine not only of Monticello but of the entire slaveholding South and the Northern industries, shippers, banks, insurers and investors who weighed risk against returns and bet on slavery. The words Jefferson used—"their increase"—became magic words.

Dude was a monster, and was definitely not just a product of his time given that his contemporaries called him out over his viciousness and evil. I have just as much hate for that man than I do any of the confederate proto-nazis

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
This dude killed 19,000 slaves during their transportation and threw them into the sea to save weight. Where's their statues?

Lol fuck off.
It baffles me the kind of shit she says, despite being a PoC...especially one with Indian origin she should be well aware of how British treated Indians.

Conservatism is a hell of a drug.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
It's genuinely a weird feeling seeing England respond this way to Black Lives Matter.

Tearing down a statue of a slave trader, defacing a statue of Churchill... it's almost like the cost of "Empire Building" is about to become clear.
It's not that surprising. England has one if the largest non-white populations in Europe - including a sizable black population - that often is scrutinized and brutalized by the police more often than the white counterparts. Seems completely rational, esp in a city like Bristol whee Black Britons are the largest visible minority group.

Mar 10, 2018

This is funny because the British are the finest vandals in the history of humankind.

They vandalized Africa
They vandalized Asia
They vandalized North America
They vandalized Oceania
Hell they even vandalized parts of Europe.

No one has ever been better at vandalizing. But now they cryin over one worthless statue of a worthless person.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's genuinely a weird feeling seeing England respond this way to Black Lives Matter.

Tearing down a statue of a slave trader, defacing a statue of Churchill... it's almost like the cost of "Empire Building" is about to become clear.
The amount of black people that England has fucked over is unfathomable

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brizzle/Twerton Redneck: "But moi heritage babber! S'not about slaaavery innam? S'about moi 'iiiistry an that."

translators note: Brizzle is Bristol

in all this talk about defunding police and reparations-

Police Manhattan Project/GI Bill/New Deal for US police reform

what about a kind of two for one racism GI Bill- continue to reform the existing police but in tandem create a new template, syllabus and structure — requiring a college degree for a vastly more professional, properly trained, efficient and demilitarized force - and pay for and subsidize African American and other qualifying POC education for management and officer posts. Transition from the existing system into the new and more prestigious, efficient one with a giant influx of senior officers and administrators as POC to push the old generation out organically.

students could focus on different aspects of policing as a new hybrid role- community support, emt, de-escalation etc. A cop would end up being exactly who you'd want on a desert island with you let alone showing up at an emergency or a crime scene.

the criteria for officers would translate into other professions - Law, IT, psychology, poli-sci as well as basic medical and other practical training for the job - creating a new class of professional and educational avenues for low income people of color and tracks toward that in public schools but not as dead ends or segregated lanes - those students could still change course based on evolving interests or abilities.

for folks who just can't make the educational requirements for "officers" they can still get well paid jobs as rank and file policemen for the nuts and bolts of parking tickets and paperwork and so on. The force would no longer be attractive to bullies and Rambo cosplayers and it would look like the community.

poor white kids could still apply for financial assistance if they have the grades and middle class White kids now have a new essential profession with a career trajectory to be educated for.

Sell it to racists as a fast track for "the good ones " but honestly just tell racists to stfu and suck it up. And that when they see a black man in a uniform that's a sign that either help is here or shit just got real.

Obviously there's a billion underlying issues to deal with to get to this - private prisons and the prison and justice parasite economy would have to die.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
Hancock is going to be in his scuba gear fishing this fucker out of the harbour tomorrow.

Go and read the Daily Mail comments for a real good laugh though. Gammons are at breaking point.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
This is funny because the British are the finest vandals in the history of humankind.

They vandalized Africa
They vandalized Asia
They vandalized North America
They vandalized Oceania
Hell they even vandalized parts of Europe.

No one has ever been better at vandalizing. But now they cryin over one worthless statue of a worthless person.
Yes, an example that most don't know is that up until the 60s they were hanging and burning Cypriots alive for wanting independence from them. The "good" British that won the war and freed Europe just a few years earlier.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what about a kind of two for one racism GI Bill- continue to reform the existing police but in tandem create a new template, syllabus and structure — requiring a college degree for a vastly more professional, properly trained, efficient and demilitarized force - and pay for and subsidize African American and other qualifying POC education for management and officer posts. Transition from the existing system into the new and more prestigious, efficient one with a giant influx of senior officers and administrators as POC to push the old generation out organically.
It's not perfect but they can learn from the dissolution of the RUC in Northern Ireland which transformed from a state run paramilitary force into the PSNI (and not the sadly missed opportunity of NIPS). IT became a public force that was forced to improve the Catholic-Protestant diversity mix in order to function. The RUC was as corrupt as it could be, and while the PSNI isn't amazing it allowed the state to make changes that benefitted the country.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
Long overdue. Why was a statue of a slave trader still up in 2020?
The people getting mad about it are more offended about a fucking statue than the rights of their fellow men and women is sickening.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Would happily see the Churchill one torn down too. Great wartime leader he may have been, but an absolutely horrible man.

A lot of people tend to forget that the year Britain won it's glorious victory against the Nazis Churchill was voted out and replaced by Clement Atlee. I don't know much about Atlee's history with race but at the time Churchill was voted out he was not seen as a good leader in peacetime. I mean, winning a war for your nation's survival would normally help you win the next election easily!

LakeShore

Oct 28, 2017
Walked past that statue many a time, and always wondered why?

Now, wonder it the suggested name changes of Colston Hall might resurface.

also, we have some other street names around the city centre that were the subject of being changed such as Black Boy Hill and White Ladies Road.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
To further showcase how cheap the confederate statues in the US are.

Watch the video of protestors taking down that statue in Bristol. Hits the ground. Nice, satisfying "thud".

Meanwhile, this confederate statue collapses like an accordion because it's a mass produced piece of shit.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

(I don't know much about UK politics, if this guy is problematic lemme know)

a statue isn't a proper history lesson anyways, it's commemorating a murderer and hiding his crimes. If you want to teach about the atrocities of a slave trader, maybe don't have a fucking effigy devoted to him and teach it in history books and classes.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

People hate her, latching onto anything to get her numbers up.

Statue aside British really don't know sod all about the empire etc. It's all Michael Caine Zulu, Sharpe, dipping a toe via WW2, we built them railroads lol, they were long fighting before we turned up, savages, black people sold themselves out etc. It's shameful, documentaries are wall to wall WW2. It's like a secret push back against truth or they don't have any archive footage to sell.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would happily see the Churchill one torn down too. Great wartime leader he may have been, but an absolutely horrible man.

gonna have to wait a while for that. it simply wouldn't fly in the uk right now and even his detractors concede his value at that moment. One thing that could be a start is to adequately cite what these people did honestly and directly. "Led nation during wwii but also oversaw and ordered atrocities againsthis fellow men" - at least then the heritage and history argument is real -

Last edited:

Headman Rum

Oct 28, 2017
Walked past that statue many a time, and always wondered why?

Now, wonder it the suggested name changes of Colston Hall might resurface.

also, we have some other street names around the city centre that were the subject of being changed such as Black Boy Hill and White Ladies Road.

Colston hall have already said they will reopen with a new name.
Not sure if true or not, but whiteladies road and Blackboy hill don't have anything to do with the slave trade.
Colston school and one of my favourite pubs (colston yard) need to change their names. Not sure how I feel about the various streets which named after colston, but wouldn't mind if they are changed.
we do need to be careful that we don't totally erase Bristol's links to the slave trade but there are better ways of doing it than having a statue of a slave trader in the centre of the city.

Edit: some of sort of memorial to the victims of the slave trade should go up where that statue was.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
As someone who suffered years of racist abuse (both physical and verbal) almost on a daily basis, I have become hardened, and even feel a bit bewildered by some of these recent events. But this event made me weep. These are great people. They remind me of the white people who would befriend me in opposition to the racists.

Some years age Churchill was voted the greatest Briton in a massive TV poll: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/2509465.stm How times are changing.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Literally nothing of value was lost. I don't care if he gave millions upon millions, he made that money selling people like animals. Now do the same for every statue in the U.S.

the camp is preserved to remind us of the atrocities of the holocaust, the statue is there to celebrate someone that used the slave trade to benfit the city of bristol.

how is it comparable?
It's not, it's just lazy whataboutism and like you said, missing the tone each one sets.

Oct 26, 2017
Lol i must admit I havent travelled the country much. Doesnt surprise me that they are everywhere though

I live in Lancaster, another old slave port and I couldn't even begin to count the number of streets named after slavers. Even this statue in Bristol, is on Colston Avenue next to Colston Tower etc etc. Same in Liverpool and Glasgow.