• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The difference is, they are a product of the time. These statues are put up long after the fact as a tribal marking.

A lot of those monuments weren't finished until long after the respective monarch had died.

The valid reason not to would be that slavery from then has very little impact on modern racism.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Great, some people will call it destruction of history, but they don't understand what it's like walking by a monument something that directly affected your people.

If you want to keep it for historical purposes put it in a museum not on a fucking pedestal in the middle of the city.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Re Churchill; anyone vaguely left is aware he was a massive prick and has no respect for him. Good to see this as a member of Hull, home of Wilberforce who fought against slavery and good to see the local community standing up for BLM.

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
You will get people crying about history in reply, but this is history being made as well.
Yeah but bad bhistory doesn't need a statue to it, the people who would clamour about history are the people who are racist whether they want to admit it or not

The fact any of these slave tradcers still have statues up just shows how racism is alive and well in the UK despite what politicans, Tv Lords and racists want us to beleive

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
'i mean the pharaohs had slaves, I don't see you people trying to tear down the pyramids!'

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
'i mean the pharaohs had slaves, I don't see you people trying to tear down the pyramids!'
The Pharaohs are not celebrated today, nor did their slavery had societal ramifications that has affected the modern world.

Additionally while a pyramid is the deathbed of a Pharaoh, the pyramids themseleves can be valued without for their architecture uncoupled from the Pharaoh. A statue on the other hand has a pretty direct relationship with the person it depicts.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Serious question: should ancient Egyptian monuments to the pharaohs also be destroyed? I know there's some debate about whether the pyramids were built by slaves, but it's certain that they were at least partially involved in the excavation and transport of the stones, and likely involved in the construction of other monuments across the region.
Egyptian Monuments are ruins.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Pharaohs are not celebrated today in nor did their slavery had societal ramifications that has affected the modern world.

This is it. I doubt there's anyone today who looks at them and is pained by the oppression of their ancestors and themselves - which this statue 100% represented.

Just to be clear, I wasn't making some kind of comparison to defend its existence.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
I remember a televised 'debate' about whether officials in Bristol should apologise for the city's role in the slave trade and I think this statue was part of it, with people petitioning its removal. That must've been a decade ago already and it took protesters to take it down... smfh

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I hope some day the general British public sees Churchill for who he really was instead of glorifying him as the epitome of traditional British values. But it'll be a cold day in hell before that happens. Then again the epitome of British values back then did mean oppression, racism, and classism. God I hate that guy!!

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Serious question: should ancient Egyptian monuments to the pharaohs also be destroyed? I know there's some debate about whether the pyramids were built by slaves, but it's certain that they were at least partially involved in the excavation and transport of the stones, and likely involved in the construction of other monuments across the region.
The ancient egyptions have no power in today's society.

White supremacists do.

Also these monuments have been ransacked.
They used to be gold topped.

Look at this monument, it ain't in Egypt where it was erected in 1450 BC

Oct 27, 2017
I hope some day the general British public sees Churchill for who he really was instead of glorifying him as the epitome of traditional British values. But it'll be a cold day in hell before that happens. Then again the epitome of British values back then did mean oppression, racism, and classism. God I hate that guy!!

(Btw this person's account is a Tommy Robinson supporter so I don't advocate that anyone follow it.)

Shinjica

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Racism. Prior infraction for the same.
The Pharaohs are not celebrated today, nor did their slavery had societal ramifications that has affected the modern world.

Additionally while a pyramid is the deathbed of a Pharaoh, the pyramids themseleves can be valued without for their architecture uncoupled from the Pharaoh. A statue on the other hand has a pretty direct relationship with the person it depicts.

By your example, we should destroy auschwitz camp too. The camp and the statue too are not still here to remember "the old good time" but to not forget the errors of the past

Mar 10, 2018
tenor.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the last video a few times and it's quite clear the statue simply tripped and fell into the harbor. A statue that old should've known better than attending a riot. No sympathy!

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
By your example, we should destroy auschwitz camp too. The camp and the statue too are not still here to remember "the old good time" but to not forget the errors of the past

If people, especially the Jewish community, wanted to destroy the camps in Auschwitz (as well as any others that remain), or if it ever starts seriously emboldening sentiment against those the Nazi party attacked, we (humanity) absolutely should destroy those too.

But there's also a big difference between those and statues of slave traders in city centres and other *normal* places where they're really not there to be historical pieces.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The fact they even have statues like this and people try to hide behind "its history!" excuse is baffling. There's plenty of ways to learn about these bastards, propping up a statue in public isn't one of them.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I did my legal training in Bristol and have always liked Bristolians. This just confirms my feelings towards them. Great work!

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

Keeping a slave owner/trader up on a pedestal is a bad look, the city should have stuck him in a museum out of the way.

Last edited:

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Oh go fuck yourself.

It's a statue, in a city.
Statues are there to positively memorialise things.
The fact that black people have to live in that city seeing that statue as a reminder that that slave owner / trader is a celebrated figure.
Whose name is also used in streets.

Why don't you go on twitter and look at the repiles to some of these tweets? Who is getting upset? It looks like conservative white people.
Why are they complaining about history being erased?
The answer is that they're proud of that history and are putting on a thin veneer of plausible deniability.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
This should be done to Washington in Union Square Park, NYC. We don't need to glorify slave owners

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

What. The fact that this slave trader is called a philanthropist tells you it wasn't their to not forget the errors of the past.

Good riddance to rubbish.

Oct 25, 2017

Germany didn't start putting up statues of Hitler everywhere after WW2. Also If keeping these statues up "to stop history repeating itself" doesn't stop us from repeating the same sort of mistakes then what good is the statue?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
These statues are literally putting racism on a pedestal.

It blows my mind that the US can prop up confederacy related statues and fly confederate flags, an enemy to the union. How can you be proud to be an american when you want to fly the flag of defeated traitors?

Mar 10, 2018
Were the ancient Egyptians chattel slaves? No? Then it's a stupid question.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Not directly relevant to the thread but there's a Black Lives Matter livestream with Stand Up To Racism airing in a few moments, might be of interest! Talkers include Diane Abbot and Marcia Rigg.

www.youtube.com

Stand Up To Racism

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I know this guy is banned but I still want to address this in case someone else feels like they find themselves agreeing to this.

The camps are a historical site which were created for something terrible and as such they are here to remember. A statue is created to celebrate and honour something. The purpose of each of them existing is different.

You don't use a statue, that was made to celebrate someone, in place to remember the atrocities they committed.