• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Video at link:
www.bbc.co.uk

Edward Colston statue: Protesters tear down slave trader monument

Prime Minister Boris Johnson says protests have been "subverted by thuggery" after police clashes.

Protesters in Bristol used ropes to pull down the bronze statue of Edward Colston, a prominent 17th Century slave trader.

Colston is believed to have transported about 80,000 men, women and children from Africa to the Americas.

On his death in 1721, he bequeathed his wealth to charities and his legacy can still be seen on Bristol's streets, memorials and buildings.

After the statue fell to the ground, a protester posed with his knee on the statue's neck - reminiscent of the video showing Mr Floyd, an African-American who died while being restrained by a Minnesota police officer.

BEAUTIFUL SIGHT.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That article pisses me off, I hate how the BBC just has to "both sides" everything. And I know people will say they have to be impartial but they absolutely aren't and lean right wing the vast majority of the time.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
It's genuinely a weird feeling seeing England respond this way to Black Lives Matter.

Tearing down a statue of a slave trader, defacing a statue of Churchill... it's almost like the cost of "Empire Building" is about to become clear.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yes, I didn't know such a statue was around but good, should have been torn down as soon as we abolished slavery.

Oh, and seeing pearl clutchers go "but vandalism!" is rich, given they tend to be the same guys who stick up for Cummings.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
About bloody time. Round of applause to the protesters who showed up today and made their darn presence known.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the statue be dragged through the streets if fucking cathartic my god.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
British white elite are probably trembling...

A few universities have started to remove statues to slave traders IIRC. It's really not a tenable position to keep such effigies.

ps3ud0 8)

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
All monuments to confederate traitors and racist slave owners need to be destroyed. Good on Bristol.

Headman Rum

Oct 28, 2017
As a Bristolian, this makes very proud. That statue should have been taken down years ago although I doubt council would have dumped it in the docks where it belongs.
Thing now, is what we do about the school, street names, pubs etc still named after the guy.

Although the protests are absolutely justified, just hope we don't get a spike in covid19 cases as a result of them.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a Bristolian, this makes very proud. That statue should have been taken down years ago although I doubt council would have dumped it in the docks where it belongs.
Thing now, is what we do about the school, street names, pubs etc still named after the guy.

Although the protests are absolutely justified, just hope we don't get a spike in covid19 cases as a result of them.
I'm sure there are other famous Bristolians that could be honoured, just like those postboxes for the Olympic's.

ps3ud0 8)

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
anigif_sub-buzz-3094-1566875145-1.gif

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Fantastic work Bristol. I am also enjoying all the racist wankers crying over it "bu-bu-but vandalism!11!1".

Telling on themselves, every single one.

Punished

Jun 19, 2019
It's genuinely a weird feeling seeing England respond this way to Black Lives Matter.

Tearing down a statue of a slave trader, defacing a statue of Churchill... it's almost like the cost of "Empire Building" is about to become clear.
I'd be very surprised if British people started questioning Churchill's legacy. Billy Bragg was calling him an antifa hero the other day ffs

Headman Rum

Oct 28, 2017

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All monuments to confederate traitors and racist slave owners need to be destroyed. Good on Bristol.

Serious question: should ancient Egyptian monuments to the pharaohs also be destroyed? I know there's some debate about whether the pyramids were built by slaves, but it's certain that they were at least partially involved in the excavation and transport of the stones, and likely involved in the construction of other monuments across the region.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Are there any other racist monuments in the UK? They all need to go!

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be very surprised if British people started questioning Churchill's legacy. Billy Bragg was calling him an antifa hero the other day ffs
I think they are already. His statue was defaced the other day. I think Billy Bragg was trying to use someone the "anti-anti-fa" types tend to love to make a point, but it comes across as so tone deaf given who Churchill was.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Serious question: should ancient Egyptian monuments to the pharaohs also be destroyed? I know there's some debate about whether the pyramids were built by slaves, but it's certain that they were at least partially involved in the excavation and transport of the stones, and likely involved in the construction of other monuments across the region.
The difference is, they are a product of the time. These statues are put up long after the fact as a tribal marking.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a few £k in bronze right there to anyone with diving gear, an engine hoist and some angle grinders :D

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
This is great, well done Bristol.

now over to the USA...

any statues, universities or mountains carved with faces of slave owners?

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
The way i see it is that the Egyptian stuff is ancient, ancient history like thousands of years old. We should not be celebrating slavery that happened in the last few hundred years when we should fucking know better. If we can't make ethical and moral progress in thousands of years then humanity just fucking sucks and isn't improving

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Serious question: should ancient Egyptian monuments to the pharaohs also be destroyed?
Not sure how you can "seriously" ask this question when I don't live under the thumb of Egyptian supremacy. I live under the thumb of white supremacy which is a set of systems and assumptions that are a direct result of the Transatlantic slave trade.

Ask Egyptians what they think about the damn pharoahs.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
The difference is, they are a product of the time. These statues are put up long after the fact as a tribal marking.
Correct. Colston was 170 years in the ground when that statue was put up.
Excellent article on the history of hte statue and the "cult of colston" that created it:
www.brh.org.uk

Myths within myths... - Bristol Radical History Group

In the light of recent moves to place a ‘corrective’ plaque on the statue of Edward Colston in the centre of Bristol and calls for it to be removed to a museum it seems the time is right to investigate the origins of this monument and the claim emblazoned on it that it was: Erected […]