• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Yeah, I'm one of those, and it's really not that easy. Living in Scotland now and have been gone from Germany for over a decade with no family left.
There's also the thing of I can't actually afford to move over. Freelancing has been a pain in the last year, lots of work, very little money.

Can imagine a LOT of other EU citizens here are in the same boat, especially those working within culture (musicians, artists, etc).
Speaking of which, I thought you had already moved or were at least well along the process of moving back to Germany? What happened?

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
68747470733a2f2f74686562726f74686572686f6f646f666576696c6765656b732e66696c65732e776f726470726573732e636f6d2f323031342f30342f313336385f322e6a7067

Hoping for the best for you, UK Era. :(

MrMysterio

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of which, I thought you had already moved or were at least well along the process of moving back to Germany? What happened?

Yep, was very close to leaving. Got another job I couldn't pass up on - with promises of follow-ups, and as most people in the gig-economy of today know, these follow-ups can turn out to be nothing or mean being able to live for the next year(s).
My follow-ups turned out to be a whole lot of nothing.

So I tied myself down here for a year with nothing much to show at the end. And that's kind of normal for any kind of artist under usual circumstances, but with Brexit looming it just has made everything a huge anxiety-inducing shitstorm.

Government spending within the cultural sector has basically ceased to exist, and within the sector the people that used to employ a more diverse cast of businesses/freelancers are basically just giving their friends jobs.

It's been pretty grim.

But, I guess the EU can look forward to an influx of animators, video editors, coders, graphic designers, sound designers, film makers, etc etc pretty soon.

By now I'm just hoping Germany sends help post-No-Deal-Brexit. Smuggle us out or something.

It's been a very tiring year...

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Yep, was very close to leaving. Got another job I couldn't pass up on - with promises of follow-ups, and as most people in the gig-economy of today know, these follow-ups can turn out to be nothing or mean being able to live for the next year(s).
My follow-ups turned out to be a whole lot of nothing.

So I tied myself down here for a year with nothing much to show at the end. And that's kind of normal for any kind of artist under usual circumstances, but with Brexit looming it just has made everything a huge anxiety-inducing shitstorm.

Government spending within the cultural sector has basically ceased to exist, and within the sector the people that used to employ a more diverse cast of businesses/freelancers are basically just giving their friends jobs.

It's been pretty grim.

But, I guess the EU can look forward to an influx of animators, video editors, coders, graphic designers, sound designers, film makers, etc etc pretty soon.

By now I'm just hoping Germany sends help post-No-Deal-Brexit. Smuggle us out or something.

It's been a very tiring year...
Ouch.
So what's your plan? All the best regardless!

MrMysterio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing what most Europeans are doing here currently: Hope for Scottish Independence!

Seriously, though, those EU people here that I know (as I said, mostly freelancers) are working multiple dayjobs to earn as much money as possible to then escape.

From my anecdotal evidence (from the arts freelancing sector), most Germans have fled already, with French people on the decline as well. Still "lots" of Spanish people around, but my Spanish friends hardly see the point in being here anymore.
The Polish people I know just really really really hate Poland, and have small businesses here, so, it's tough to let that go to be honest.

My English friends on the other hand, kept telling me "that it'll be alright". My Scottish friends are getting ready for a revolt. The city is suffering a lot, and it will get worse and worse the closer we get to March.
Nicola Sturgeon is a great politician, and without her, I probably would have taken my chances of just moving over to Germany blindly.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Is that really true, that the UK government is the largest buyer of fridges in the world?

I mean I cant find any other sources apart from what they are saying, of course the government would never lie like they have throughout the negotiations about things like stock piling food etc.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
The Polish people I know just really really really hate Poland, and have small businesses here, so, it's tough to let that go to be honest.

Yep this is exactly right with my partner. Anything is better than going back to Poland for her so she's in it for the long haul.

We haven't got a spare grand at the moment sadly for citizenship and honestly she doesn't really want to do that either.

*head in sand* it'll be alright.......

They said people from the EU who are here already can stay and they wouldn't lie.... would they...........

Jimster

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
User Banned (permanent): Trolling, history of severe infractions. Account in junior phase.
Wow, a 5 day ban for saying I don't believe all Brexit voters are racists.

Says a lot for the "debate," available at this place.

Here's the issues at play:

You can believe in immigration and its benefits for the economy but not free movement. That is a perfectly reasonable political position and not racist in the slightest. I do think that free movement forces harsh discrimination against non EU immigrants but that's another debate.

The only reason for goods to be blocked at the borders immediately after leaving is a political one and for propoganda. On the day of a hard Brexit, if it ever happens all involved will have perfect regulatory alignment still so no need for additional checks until that changes on either side. We already check for "smugglers," so no worries there. We're already seeing this being suggested with both sides agreeing to maintain the status quo on various issues. Border requirements can be negotiated once regulations begin to diverge to the point they may be needed. Still, bolstering border forces is sensible from this point.

Forecasting economic output in any country is as difficult as forecasting the weather particularly over the long term due to the sheer amount of variables, it's even harder when you have variables that are new and unpredictable and depend on politics that haven't happened yet. Its not unusual for economic figures to be adjusted from one quarter to the next because something unforseen happened. I certainly don't think we'll see the fiscal extremes being forecasted by both sides. There's been numerous cases in history where politicians told a country something "had," to happen or fiscal ruin would occur only for the opposite to happen. The UK joining the Euro for instance or Gordon Brown banging the dispatch box waving a fiscal report shouting "no more boom and bust," just before the biggest bust in a generation.

If that makes me a troll here, so be it. Damn.

MrMysterio

Oct 25, 2017
Free movement isn't causing discrimination against non-EU immigrants. Discrimination against non-EU immigrants is it's own horrible beast. No reason to conflate it with free movement.

Also, Germany is currently lowering the barriers for non-EU migrants btw but they still have free movement. ThinkingEmoji

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
Also a border isn't just for good. It would be needed to control people too. There would have to be passport checks otherwise there would be no checks on who's entering and exiting the country.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

Here's the issues at play:

The only reason for goods to be blocked at the borders immediately after leaving is a political one and for propoganda. On the day of a hard Brexit, if it ever happens all involved will have perfect regulatory alignment still so no need for additional checks until that changes on either side. We already check for "smugglers," so no worries there. We're already seeing this being suggested with both sides agreeing to maintain the status quo on various issues. Border requirements can be negotiated once regulations begin to diverge to the point they may be needed. Still, bolstering border forces is sensible from this point.

Forecasting economic output in any country is as difficult as forecasting the weather

If that makes me a troll here, so be it. Damn.
I feel the above is a bit disenginious. I am Portuguese so my point of view might not be the best.

From the laws I saw, a hard Brexit requires the EU to have borders with the UK, even if all the laws/regulation are the same. The issue is not having a treaty and not about laws/ regulations being different. Do note that if I am not mistaken if the UK uses a WTO deal with "open" borders it needs to do open borders with all members of WTO and not just the EU. In short what I mean is that from what I understand goods being blocked are "law" problems and not whatever other excuse people use.

Forecasting the economy is hard and not perfectly precise but at least for Portugal it generally is relatively accurate. Using your analogy if the weather forecast cast is 80% rain and 5 degree Celsius you very likely won't have a very hot summer sunny day will you?

I am a doctor so that is my understanding of hard Brexit, the laws I deal with are much smaller so it is hard for me to see all angles. Hopefully someone that works with EU can provide better insight.

IMO your post is desigenous because while it makes "logical" sense it seems to ignore a lot of reality on purpose. (Starting with another point, ignoring laws and finally misinterpreting a weird analogy)
Now, maybe from the UK your post makes more sense but for those that leave outside like me it feels misguided.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
I'm doing what most Europeans are doing here currently: Hope for Scottish Independence!

Seriously, though, those EU people here that I know (as I said, mostly freelancers) are working multiple dayjobs to earn as much money as possible to then escape.

From my anecdotal evidence (from the arts freelancing sector), most Germans have fled already, with French people on the decline as well. Still "lots" of Spanish people around, but my Spanish friends hardly see the point in being here anymore.

My English friends on the other hand, kept telling me "that it'll be alright". My Scottish friends are getting ready for a revolt. The city is suffering a lot, and it will get worse and worse the closer we get to March.
Nicola Sturgeon is a great politician, and without her, I probably would have taken my chances of just moving over to Germany blindly.

Understandable if they do, although not sure if it is so much that they hate Poland, or it is that the UK is at a ridiculously better financial position than Poland, Poland has seen tremendous growth and is seen as one of the success stories of the EU, but it is still a relatively poor country, in the event of a no deal brexit the UK will still be far richer than Poland, and a good chunk of other EU countries for that matter, obviously for French and German citizens it is a vastly different story, since France and Germany are arguably better than the UK regardless of how things turn out (obviously for some fields and in some aspects the UK is better).

It is not like Polish people have much reason to hope for a better future in Poland given what it is happening there right now, there is clearly a power grab on the Judicial system which tends to be the first step for far worse things, things which Poland has some recent experience in, so yeah if they currently hate the prospect of going back to Poland I wouldn't be too surprised, no one wants to live in a country that is ever closer to a dictatorship like state.

I feel the above is a bit disenginious. I am Portuguese so my point of view might not be the best.

From the laws I saw, a hard Brexit requires the EU to have borders with the UK, even if all the laws/regulation are the same. The issue is not having a treaty and not about laws/ regulations being different. Do note that if I am not mistaken if the UK uses a WTO deal with "open" borders it needs to do open borders with all members of WTO and not just the EU. In short what I mean is that from what I understand goods being blocked are "law" problems and not whatever other excuse people use.

Forecasting the economy is hard and not perfectly precise but at least for Portugal it generally is relatively accurate. Using your analogy if the weather forecast cast is 80% rain and 5 degree Celsius you very likely won't have a very hot summer sunny day will you?

I am a doctor so that is my understanding of hard Brexit, the laws I deal with are much smaller so it is hard for me to see all angles. Hopefully someone that works with EU can provide better insight.

IMO your post is desigenous because while it makes "logical" sense it seems to ignore a lot of reality on purpose. (Starting with another point, ignoring laws and finally misinterpreting a weird analogy)
Now, maybe from the UK your post makes more sense but for those that leave outside like me it feels misguided.

Yaps under wto rules the UK cannot give preferential treatment to the EU (without and FTA), so to accept goods tarrif free from the EU it needs to accept goods tarrif free from the rest of the world, same as the EU to accept goods from the UK tarrif free it must also accept goods tarrif free from the rest of the world, which is obviously not going to happen.

So yeah it isn't just a question of good will and trust, the EU and the UK would have to quite significantly violate international law, not to mention the EU would piss off all the other countries they have FTA with, and even its own members since it would be giving one of its membership privileges without getting anything back, it would basically be giving preferential treatment to a non EU member over its own members which is obviously crazy.

Last edited:

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
The only reason for goods to be blocked at the borders immediately after leaving is a political one and for propoganda. On the day of a hard Brexit, if it ever happens all involved will have perfect regulatory alignment still so no need for additional checks until that changes on either side.

All treaties cease to apply on exit.
Meaning the uk ceases to be responsible for what happens on his side, means if someone send, on brexit day+1, poisoned goods or whatever to the other side nothing can be done about it.
It also means that all insurances for goods and transports are void, nobody will ever accept shit coming from the UK on hard brexit day+1 because nobody outside of complete braindead idiots would ever accept such a risk.
It is not a case of propaganda, it's basic security clearances and insurances for starter , on top of a fucking mountain of regulations deadlocks.
Add to all of this the fact that there is an outside world outside of the EU+UK, if you were to accept shit coming from the uk on day 1 unchecked, it means you are de facto accepting shit from the whole world unchecked on day one, because such a back-door to the common market will be abused to hell and back on day one. (the Uk being able to check it's own borders is irrelevant, they are no longer a reliable partner)

Last edited:

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Bumping a thread just to whine about your ban?

And you were banned because you invoked fucking "Saxon blood means we don't like being told what to do", before going on to claim there was nothing racist about the British Empire of old.

And you asking for evidence of massive negative economic impact, and then claiming the evidence means nothing once someone supplied it definitely makes you a troll.

There were also the blatant sophisms you came out with when people pointed out the possible impact of a no-deal Brexit.

Frankly it was ludicrous they only banned you for a few days for all your trolling and racism.

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
A record number of British citizens applied for an Irish passport in 2018 as the U.K. braces for what is gearing up to be a chaotic departure from the European Union on March 29 of 2019. There were a total of 98,544 applications from Great Britain, up 22% from 2017, and another 84,855 applications from Northern Ireland, up 2% from 2017. That comes after a 20% rise in applicants from Great Britain and Northern Ireland in 2017, the first year after the 2016 referendum.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/r...ek-irish-passports-as-brexit-looms-2018-12-31