• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PRed

Jan 7, 2018
Ah etiquette, when eating becomes a real life physics puzzle.

The twitter account is very silly.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
A spoon

I mean, it's so much easier

Hand also works, but with a spoon it's also a bit cleaner

Spoon people

SPOON.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I find the most satisfying way is to shovel it into my mouth from the bowl with chopsticks. The easiest way is to use a spoon.

Using a knife to eat rice is infinitely weirder than using your hands could ever be.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
The only food guide I follow
aFpsGJGSJR4KPQfJei9Y603DmoffFletdJwAm3JNQWc.png

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Um, partial Filipino-American here, the rice cooker is a goddamn household staple, more so than a toaster, and you will treat it with the respect it deserves.

Mostly joking but it's legit hilarious how Western folk treat rice cookers like these luxury items as if you can't find a little metal dorm one for a couple bucks. Helps that the Asian cultures that treat it as ubiquitous ensure to invest in it - I got like two high-quality ones as housewarming gifts. XD

Heh, I never appreciated rice cookers much until I went through a couple of bad ones. Mean while the relic from my parent's house with the DIY handle repair job all exterior labels or brands well faded away will likely still be cooking rice for my grand children.

I love my tiny little cooker though. Can't fit many bowls in so no cooking for lunch tomorrow or guests but it was reliable, fast, compact and did everything perfectly for me despite my bad cooking skills. I'd chop up random stuff and throw it in because I was lazy or tight on time and it still comes out great. This little appliance carried me with congee with I was sick and couldn't stomach much else. My best friend of all the appliances lol

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Really? I guess I suck at scooping things onto my forks or spoons because I use a knife regularly to scoop the last bit of food. That's always the most annoying to get onto the utensil.

Really, you've never had to do that? What if you want to get multiple things on the same scoop?
I scoop with my fork, and when it fits the meal, some bread.

I'm not even saying people should do this, I'm saying people should do whatever they want, and certainly not listen to a British guy and his unnecessary rules.

I love that his account is satire but borders the line so closely that people are falling for it.
Honestly, at a glance, he sounds exactly like some people do.

Ă„lg

Banned
May 13, 2018
I've been drinking rice out of a glass my entire life, and now you're telling me this in incorrect?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I have to say, using spoons for anything other than liquids is kinda... well....

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I eat rice with a knife and fork, never even thought of using a spoon. The spoon is used to put in on the plate.

I just finished dinner which included rice and I used a knife and fork.

I eat toast with my left hand. Its usually on a plate to my left. I have always done that and I actually didn't notice.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to work for an Indian restaurant, and I absolutely understand the cultural background of using your hands to eat rice, but it just doesn't make sense to eat rice that way, especially if it's covered in curry.

the finger bowls were a real bummer to pick up after

edit - rice balls, sushi, sticky rice, any formed/packed rice that stays together when you pick it up is an exception. I'm talkin about piles of loose rice covered in gravy

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair I do use a knife to push the last grains of rice into my fork.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well at least its better than eating rice with chopsticks. i always struggle to do that when im in japan. spoons for life.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
I'll scrape everything to the side of the plate and then lift the plate up to pour the remnants down my throat.

Oct 27, 2017
Never understood using a fork with rice. A spoon is much easier to eat with.

As for eating rice with hands, I knew people back home who used to do this. I never understood it because the spoon is way easier to eat with.

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I used to work for an Indian restaurant, and I absolutely understand the cultural background of using your hands to eat rice, but it just doesn't make sense to eat rice that way, especially if it's covered in curry.

Don't Indian people use naan or chapathis or some other bread to eat currys? So, bit of bread in hand, sop up the goo, and go to town. And you dunk on the white rice with your hands, maybe with a little bit of the goo in it? I don't think you go pouring it all willy-nilly.

Also, not sure gravy is the correct name haha :P

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't Indian people use naan or chapathis or some other bread to eat currys? So, bit of bread in hand, sop up the goo, and go to town. And you dunk on the white rice with your hands, maybe with a little bit of the goo in it? I don't think you go pouring it all willy-nilly.

Also, not sure gravy is the correct name haha :P
It's technically a gravy, the kind of gravy is curry. Like how marinara is also a gravy.

ive observed many permutations of finger-based consumption, the end result is always a messy table and floor

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
What's with British etiquette and the assumption that only they are right and everyone else around the world is wrong and stupid?

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I always use fork and knife for pretty much everything. Fork and knife offer way more precision, versatility, and less messiness. I don't see any downsides really.