• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
honestly I see myself subtracting "er" more than adding it. You Americans don't want to hear how some people say "water" in this country.

Then again I'm from Cumbria which is the most baffling melting pot of accents
Cumbria? I've got something for you. The development of Cumbrian from 1400 to 2020:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtcAbzO19Kg

If you want to know how Cumbrian sounds, here's the timestamp (15:21):
https://youtu.be/FtcAbzO19Kg?t=921

Last edited:

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
It's one of those things that lets you know if the actor speaking with a british accent is actually british or an american/Canadian putting on the accent.

If they're really british they'll sort of slur the ends of words together. If they're American they'll over-ennunciate the vowels.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I'm also bemused when I hear in the UK something like "I'm gavering on Fursdays".

Like, you know it's spelled "gathering" and "Thursdays", right?
I really don't like to hear "th" replaced with "F' and "V". The one I hear a lot that drives me insane is people that say "Vuh" instead of "the". That's not a speech impedement that's lazy speech.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
There's a stack of different British accents, you can travel for barely an hour and find different ones. It's more likely that to people from outside the country, they are used to thinking of one particular accent as 'British', which is usually the general south-east one that dominates our media exports. Personally I'm from Hertfordshire (pronounced heart). Only just outside London but we often drop 'H's, leading to the rhyme 'Artfordshire born, 'Artfordshire bred. Soft in the 'art, and fick in the 'Ed'. Over 20 years of commuting into London my accent has merged into the same generic SE England one as most of my colleagues, as I made an effort to speak a little more clearly (from the perspective of my colleagues) when I started.

Last edited:

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Cumbria? I've got something for you. The development of Cumbrian from 1400 to 2020:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtcAbzO19Kg

If you want to know how Cumbrian sounds, here's the timestamp (15:21):
https://youtu.be/FtcAbzO19Kg?t=921

Yup, I can't say I really sound like that all the time (I don't use much of the dialect words myself) but I've been on more than a few busses with old ladies who sound exactly like that final example, it's fun.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I guess this explains "Champagne Supernover"
That's literally the best and easiest example of a quirk of a lot of British accents. If I were to sing that song, I'd pronounce supernova properly the first time, then with an intrusive R the second time, because the word that follows starts with a vowel.

A very similar thing happens in French.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vision says "Wander" instead of "Wanda" at least once in the first 2 episodes of WandaVision.

OP
OP
Cheesebu

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Americans in here giving it the big one while completely bastardising the English language lmao
I won't defend American English haha, I talk like a high af surfer and I've never surfed a day in my life. I just wanted to know the "rules" of this particular quirk out of curiosity.

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
Yup, I can't say I really sound like that all the time (I don't use much of the dialect words myself) but I've been on more than a few busses with old ladies who sound exactly like that final example, it's fun.
Oh no, try to keep your local dialect alive, Rotobit. The world is losing too many languages as is.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sometimes the opposite is true, for example

"What ya playin' at yer fucking wanka"

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I'm from the UK and I don't understand this. I believe that it's an accent, but I was raised in England, lived there for over two decades before I gtfo, and I thought this was a speech impediment that I should politely pretend didn't exist; like pronouncing 's' as 'th' ("yeth, I'll altho have a bowl of thoup").

I lived in the north, and it's more of a southern phenomenon, so I didn't realise it was so widespread. Now I feel like every English YouTuber does it.
That's a SE England thing, Essex, parts of London etc. Seems to be spoken by every football pundit and Z list celebrity.
Makes you sound pretty fick.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
This is it. If you end a sentence with a word ending in an 'ah' sound you wouldn't put an 'r' on the end, only when you're immediately following it up with another word that starts with a vowel. For example, 'Pamela Anderson' becomes 'Pamelaranderson'. It's just an accent thing, easier to slur the words together than stop your breath between them.

Pamelaranderson went to Chinarand then Jamaica.

Brit here (London). This is something I do a lot (not saying Pamela Anderson's name, but the slurring aspect, heh). It's just easier, and rolls off the tongue quickly. I do realise it sounds sloppy (from me) though, so I might sometimes slow myself down, where possible. This example really captures it excellently!