• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 2, 2017
I saw my first person selling the poppy in London today. I nearly bought one as I usually do, but then I hesitated. In theory I've no problem with wearing my poppy. But recent years have also shown the poppy has (rightly or wrongly) been co-opted by right wing arseholes and its now such a politically charged symbol I didn't want to wear one. Which kinda sucks. How about you lot?

Oct 31, 2017
I havn't for years. I don't object in theory, but the whole thing has been coopted by right wingers and pro war types, which disgusts me.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
White poppy wearer, but even as recently as last year the very act of wearing one drew a few people into arguing I'm disgracing my country's proud history. The right-wing brainwashing around this is pretty fucking potent, for what is, even as far as Red poppies are concerned, a subject that should be around solemn remembrance, not showing off national pride.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Use to wear one whilst in the Army Cadets but no longer. Not for any specific reason, just don't.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Haven't since I left school (where they more or less "forced" us). Nothing against people who do wear it, but it does nothing for me personally and I like to veer away from anything with even the faintest nationalist sentiment.

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wear a badge every year on my work clothing :)

For those who want to wear a poppy but not the red one, aside from the previously mentioned white poppy, there's also a couple more that represent and bring attention to the animals lost during war and African, black and Caribbean communities contributions to the war efforts.

HighResTomato

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, fuck that.

Live in the now and a lot more people have been killed/died in combat and forgotten about.

Edit:

Just seen that article. Having a black rotten looking poppy to represent African/Caribbean contributions ffs.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
If it represented those who were a part of WW2, then absolutely.

but it now represents all veterans, those who have been in conflicts that they should not - and got paid for it.

so no, not for me.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I tend to wear one if I can - the main issue I have is the standard ones you get are useless for attaching to most forms of clothing.

Not huge on the jingoism/tabloid mega-paranoia around it, but I think it's a nice gesture on the balance of things.

7aged

Oct 28, 2017
What's happening today ERA?

Thread 1: Do you wear the Union Jack?
Thread 2: Do you wear the poppy?

Is someone gonna ask about Doc Martens next?

HazySaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
West Yorkshire, UK
I never usually bother, and I don't really feel comfortable with it anymore now that it's been hijacked by the right wing and people are brow beaten into wearing one.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Never wearing one again. Haven't done so since high school.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I'll always wear a poppy, remembering and respecting the past is important.

It's really weak if we let a few idoits using it (that I know nothing about) spoil it.