• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
9lIwecu.jpg

thehill.com

Virginia Chick-fil-A offering free food in exchange for coins amid shortage

A Virginia Chick-fil-A is offering free food in exchange for coins amid the national shortage, the store announced Saturday.A Chick-fil-A in Lynchburg, Va., will provide coupons for a free entree f…

A Virginia Chick-fil-A is offering free food in exchange for coins amid the national shortage, the store announced Saturday.

A Chick-fil-A in Lynchburg, Va., will provide coupons for a free entree for every $10 in rolled coins that guests provide, in addition to the same value in cash, according to the store's Facebook post. Each guest is limited to 10 coupons maximum.

The store will allow customers to exchange the coins on Wednesday between 9 and 11 a.m. at a "Limited time offer until need is met."

In a comment under the original post, the Lynchburg location said it has seen "overwhelming response," and it expects to be "doing this again."

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
doesn't that say they're converting the coins to cash for you plus you get a coupon for a free entree? So it's just incentive to spend that $10 bucks anyways. Y'all got coins like that?

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Every McDonalds, 7-11, Wawa, Burger King, etc here is doing the same thing, offering free food or drinks for specific amounts of coins exchanged

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Today I learned that there is a coin shortage
www.cnn.com

Another consequence of the pandemic: a nationwide shortage of coins | CNN

That's because the supply chain that coins usually flow through has been interrupted during the pandemic. Banks and businesses have shuttered or changed the way they operate. And so there are fewer coins reaching the public.
Yeah, many places are not taking cash in my area. It's just not safe during the pandemic.

This is also exposing our poor contactless and banking infrastructure. We should've been on mobile payments/wallets many years ago, including for groups close to poverty, for free of course.

Pennies and nickels already costs more to make than they are worth lol.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I washed my car today and lucked out that the place I use finally added an app-based payment system. They don't have card machines, and based on how other places implement them it's more expensive and annoying, so I'm glad.

Their change machines and wash bays only take bills up to $10. However, ATMs really seem to only dispense $20 anymore so there's no way for me to get contactless cash or change these days. Having coins isn't something I thought to prepare for when this started.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
App-based, QR and similar options should be the future anyway. In the last 4 months, I've used cash probably no more than 3 times, I actually hate carrying cash around, I think I have nothing on my wallet right now. I understand though that not everyone is willing to use electronic methods of payment, but I only see those becoming more common as time goes on.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
App-based, QR and similar options should be the future anyway. In the last 4 months, I've used cash probably no more than 3 times, I actually hate carrying cash around, I think I have nothing on my wallet right now. I understand though that not everyone is willing to use electronic methods of payment, but I only see those becoming more common as time goes on.
I always have cash on me. It's how I was raised. Always have at least $20 in your pocket for emergencies. Hell I used cash today to buy some paint. Coinage goes into my coin bottle until it's full and then I cash it out.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Friendly reminder that if you eat at Chik-Fil-A and give a shit about LGBT people you are lacking in moral fiber. Fuck Chik-Fil-A.

Oct 25, 2017
The thing turning me off of these deals is that they have to be rolled. I have like half a 5 gallon jug filled with coins but fuck rolling them.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly just set up Coinstars that offer something like 105% of coin value in a cash ticket or something along those lines and you'll have people lining up to dump all their coins at you.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
www.cnn.com

That's because the supply chain that coins usually flow through has been interrupted during the pandemic. Banks and businesses have shuttered or changed the way they operate. And so there are fewer coins reaching the public.
Yep at the laundromat I go to the coin dispenser has no coins due to banks having none so you have to exchange cash with an attendant who has to give you coins.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
I have almost 500 bucks in coins since all the free coin sorters in TD Bank disappeared and I refuse to use a coinstar.

It's my time to shine.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, many places are not taking cash in my area. It's just not safe during the pandemic.

This is also exposing our poor contactless and banking infrastructure. We should've been on mobile payments/wallets many years ago, including for groups close to poverty, for free of course.

I can't even remember the last time I carried cash. I keep a quarter for when I go shopping at ALDI and that's about it lol.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Who in their right mind chooses to eat at Chik-Fil-A when Popeye's exists?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I can't even remember the last time I carried cash. I keep a quarter for when I go shopping at ALDI and that's about it lol.
Same. Only for haircuts.

but we can't go cashless nationwide since banking is not guaranteed for unbanked groups.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
www.cnn.com

Found this out when I went to the grocery store last week and the woman in front of me couldn't pay for her stuff because they were only allowing the use of debit cards or something? And when it got to be my turn, there was a note that said it was due to the coin shortage or something.

Edit: Oh, they've got a notice about it on their website https://www.wincofoods.com/coronavirus-updates

Who in their right mind chooses to eat at Chik-Fil-A when Popeye's exists?
There's a Chic-fil-A near me that I finally ate at the for the first time last month, and I was kind of amazed at how mediocre it was $4.45 for a tiny ass chicken sandwich that isn't even better than most fast-food chicken sandwiches? Why?

Last edited:

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys not have contactless payment yet?

In the UK I put my phone on a credit card reader and pay through NFC. We can do that for any value up to £45. You guys not have that? Sorry if you do it just reads as though that doesn't exist.

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
can't remember the last time i didn't have cash. i like not charging something to whatever card though i suppose i can just use a debit card.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

The dumbest part about our system is that even when paying contactless, you're still asked to sign (and tip, or press "no tip") which defeats the purpose

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize the coin shortage was so bad that they needed to pay you for coins.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Do you guys not have contactless payment yet?

In the UK I put my phone on a credit card reader and pay through NFC. We can do that for any value up to £45. You guys not have that? Sorry if you do it just reads as though that doesn't exist.
Oh I don't live in the US, I live in Peru. Contactless payment through NFC is still very new here and only one bank has implemented it, and only on Android phones for the time being I believe. Contactless payments here have been popularized through QR codes and POS machines that only require you to put your card on top of the reader. The bodega I go to has a QR code and that's what I've been using during the pandemic, CC when I go to the supermarket or money transfers through apps when those can be used. I work at a bank though, so I know about this stuff because it's part of my daily routine and what I hear from colleagues and read in my emails. The average consumer is probably not aware of all the options they have now.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot coins existed. Shortage sounds like feature not bug.

E: also CFA sucks

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I never keep cash in my wallet unless I'm going to get a haircut or something where I know ahead of time I'll need to use cash instead.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I don't live in the US, I live in Peru. Contactless payment through NFC is still very new here and only one bank has implemented it, and only on Android phones for the time being I believe. Contactless payments here have been popularized through QR codes and POS machines that only require you to put your card on top of the reader. The bodega I go to has a QR code and that's what I've been using during the pandemic, CC when I go to the supermarket or money transfers through apps when those can be used. I work at a bank though, so I know about this stuff because it's part of my daily routine and what I hear from colleagues and read in my emails. The average consumer is probably not aware of all the options they have now.
Yeah the things where you put your card on the reader will work with your phone if your bank let's it. Every bank in the UK pretty much allows contactless through phones so I don't even need to carry a wallet anymore.

stump sock

Oct 25, 2017
Friendly reminder that if you eat at Chik-Fil-A and give a shit about LGBT people you are lacking in moral fiber. Fuck Chik-Fil-A.
The company steered away from the more explicitly anti-LGBT groups after the blow up in 2012.

As recently as 2018 they donated to Salvation Army but refocused in 2019 and pledged to support black-led charities.

The viral posts from last year saying they were still giving to anti-LGBT charities was a lie (see link above).

Dan Cathy is still a piece of shit, though, I'm sure.

But maybe it's fine for people to eat there without being insulted considering they're, at least currently, making the right moves.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The company steered away from the more explicitly anti-LGBT groups after the blow up in 2012.

As recently as 2018 they donated to Salvation Army but refocused in 2019 and pledged to support black-led charities.

The viral posts from last year saying they were still giving to anti-LGBT charities was a lie (see link above).

But maybe it's fine for people to eat there without being insulted considering they're, at least currently, making the right moves.

Nah, fuck Chik-Fil-A. And if you support them, don't call yourself an ally.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Please don't give money to Chick-fil-A
A) According to another poster, other franchises have similar promotions.

B) As I understand it the deal is you give them $10 in coins, you get $10 in bills and a free sandwich. I wouldn't be giving them money (except in a very literal sense). Like, I get that CFA is scummy, and that apparently they derive more value from having change than their cost for a sandwich, but giving them literally zero net dollars in exchange for a free burger seems pretty ethically sound to me. At least to the extent there's any sort of ethical consumption under capitalism.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Thread derailing and whataboutisms over a series of posts

I agree with this.

List of apparel and retail brands benefiting from the oppression and forced labor of Uighurs.

Apple, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and many others benefiting either directly or indirectly from the oppression and forced labor of Uighurs.

Boycotts are an individual choice. It makes no sense to chastise particular examples of unethical consumption while excusing your own.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
A) According to another poster, other franchises have similar promotions.

B) As I understand it the deal is you give them $10 in coins, you get $10 in bills and a free sandwich. I wouldn't be giving them money (except in a very literal sense). Like, I get that CFA is scummy, and that apparently they derive more value from having change than their cost for a sandwich, but giving them literally zero net dollars in exchange for a free burger seems pretty ethically sound to me. At least to the extent there's any sort of ethical consumption under capitalism.
C) You don't give Chick fil A your change and they get less customers because not everyone has a card to pay with. Therefore, Chick fil A loses money and influence in society and the world becomes a little bit better.

Status
Not open for further replies.